PDA

View Full Version : Sony patents reveal emotion recognition software

wraggster
August 17th, 2009, 10:26
Sony Computer Entertainment America has filed patents for software which is able to recognise emotions, including, laughter, sadness, joy, anger and boredom.

Uncovered by Siliconera, the patents are not limited to home consoles, although artwork filed by Sony depicts a PlayStation 3 and Bravia TV.

The patents may be related to Sony's PlayStation 3 motion-tacking technology, first revealed at E3 this year, which follows player movement and can detect facial expressions as well as spatial recognition.

The technology also sounds similar to Microsoft's Project Natal, and in particular Lionhead's demo of Milo and Kate – software that as well as following movement, can detect emotional responses through facial and voice recognition.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/sony-patents-reveal-emotion-recognition-software

Triv1um
August 17th, 2009, 11:53
This is stupid quite frankly.

I can understand the PS3's motion control to a certain extent, but this is just stupid.

feddon
August 17th, 2009, 20:59
i guess sony want to lead people to beleve this whole Natal thing can be mimmicked with software which it can. I dont really see either tech flying off the shelves, and definately a controller-less games, theyll just be to limited.