PDA

View Full Version : DSonPSP v0.2C beta by Yoshihiro

Sektor
August 17th, 2009, 22:43
Yoshihiro has released an updated port of a Nintendo DS emulator for Sony PSP. It's still too slow to be playable and won't run all games but it's better than the previous attempts. It is based on DeSmuME v9 core. It has a file browser, frame skip, vertical/horizontal display option and a few other settings.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Link: gtamp.com/PSP (http://gtamp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=47&p=206)

wraggster
August 17th, 2009, 23:25
thanks for the news :)

sappo
August 18th, 2009, 01:59
Yoshihiro? THAT Yoshihiro?

Ha, it's funny to see that he's still around.

demonolith
August 18th, 2009, 02:03
Yoshihiro? THAT Yoshihiro?

Ha, it's funny to see that he's still around.

What do you mean? Why's it funny that he's still around?

Sektor
August 18th, 2009, 08:47
Funny because it could have been anyone that updated this but it was someone already well known that hadn't released anything for a while. Okay, maybe not funny but cool. Good to see any developers old or new.

sappo
August 18th, 2009, 10:44
What do you mean? Why's it funny that he's still around?

Because he got flamed massively back at the time he was more active (can't remember exactly for what, but he wasn't one of the most loved developers around, that's for sure) and it surprised me to see he's still around.

Exophase
August 19th, 2009, 18:35
I think the flaming was over PSXP and not releasing source code.. and getting angry at the response.

Of course, a lot of emulators on PSP are violating licenses, I think I counted like half the ones on this site once.

I think it'll be fun watching him try to optimize DesMuME, I wonder how much energy he'll put into such a dead end attempt.

wraggster
August 19th, 2009, 18:44
how can you truly emulate a touch screen console on a non touch screen console ?

i wonder if the pandora or maybe the Wii if powerful enough could do a decent job of emulating the touch screen ?

demonolith
August 19th, 2009, 19:46
I think the flaming was over PSXP and not releasing source code.. and getting angry at the response.

Of course, a lot of emulators on PSP are violating licenses, I think I counted like half the ones on this site once.

I think it'll be fun watching him try to optimize DesMuME, I wonder how much energy he'll put into such a dead end attempt.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that DS emulation was such a futile attempt on the psp. I'd much rather someone port over a 32X or a PC-FX emulator. They might not be the most popular of consoles, but they do have their share of amazing games. At least the PSP is capable of handling those systems.

B2K24
August 19th, 2009, 20:29
how can you truly emulate a touch screen console on a non touch screen console ?

Very simple. The actual DS only has a D-pad so the analog nub on the psp could serve as a mouse pointer.

@Exophase Hello Exophase hope you are doing well. :)

Saracchini
August 19th, 2009, 21:15
Very simple. The actual DS only has a D-pad so the analog nub on the psp could serve as a mouse pointer.

Not so simple. There are many games which requires precision, and even a mouse used in a PC emulator is already awkward to use. PSP's analog isnt sufficient good for that.

Try to draw a seal of Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow with PSP's analog nub to figure out the situation.

JeffMa
August 19th, 2009, 23:01
I have used it on some games. It works pretty well. I think it is great work and hopefully work on it some more. What happened to 32x emulation?

ray13j
August 20th, 2009, 01:38
thx for this.

andershizzle
August 23rd, 2009, 04:17
Post a link to the source code kthxbai.

But honestly. Where the hell did he find the source for the one that that squeeky whatever kirby girl made. I want to see the source to this. Post it. Get it online. Watch this guy bail the whole entire project then not even post the source up. THEN it'd be completely utterly useless.

Nokiaman
August 23rd, 2009, 12:40
Awesome! Nintendo would rage if this would work :D

ray13j
August 23rd, 2009, 22:55
Awesome! Nintendo would rage if this would work :D

It never will.

Nokiaman
August 24th, 2009, 09:30
It never will.
It can. NDS has horrible HW like GBA does. If you are Nintendo fanboy then go away from this section.

Exophase
August 24th, 2009, 16:01
It can. NDS has horrible HW like GBA does. If you are Nintendo fanboy then go away from this section.

DS hardware is way more powerful than GBA though, like 4-6x at least.

Oh wow, I didn't realize that DS emulation was such a futile attempt on the psp. I'd much rather someone port over a 32X or a PC-FX emulator. They might not be the most popular of consoles, but they do have their share of amazing games. At least the PSP is capable of handling those systems.

Unfortunately porting emulators of those would be a dead end too :( A 32X emulator with dynarecs might be fast enough on the PSP, but the only open source 32X emulator only has an x86 ASM SH2 interpreter, to the best of my knowledge.

For PC-FX your only port option is Mednafen and that requires at least a 1GHz P3 or so. Getting one running well on a PSP (5x weaker hardware) is also unlikely.