PDA

View Full Version : Descent for PSP

magiK
April 30th, 2006, 19:17
I've decided to release this even though its not 100% stable and may still contain zillions of bugs. Check the psp-readme.txt file for install instructions and details. Also note that ad-hoc play will most likely not work in this release, since I haven't got a chance to test it yet, but infrastructure mode should work just fine. Please remember that you need updated PIG and HOG files. Enjoy!

Download and Give Feedback Via the Comments

wraggster
April 30th, 2006, 19:51
awesome news, moving to the PSP News forum :)

danknugz
April 30th, 2006, 20:01
holy crap! it just keeps getting better! ( havent tried yet...)

Voltron
April 30th, 2006, 21:45
If this is Descent the PC & PSOne shooter then I am really happy. I loved that game on PSOne. The rock soundtrack had tunes from type o negative I think and during frenzied action it was a great experience.

This would rock on the PSP. Great job!

Privateer
April 30th, 2006, 21:58
Can I get a screenshot just to see what it looks like, maybe?

sroon
April 30th, 2006, 22:29
Wow!! now people are importing Ps1 and PC games to the PSP.
Great work (.)(.)

Anger
April 30th, 2006, 22:39
brings back the good old days when pc games didnt need much to run and were amazingly simple in concept but amazingly fun also. i have seen only one bug in this release, and thats the save/load screen is offset a bit. this is astounding work, keep it up. :)

pakkman781
April 30th, 2006, 22:59
Sounds great, but I just can't get my descent files to work, patched or unpatched... :(

gelon
April 30th, 2006, 23:47
I have a EURO 2.5, i can enter the game, but when it ask for the name ... square dont work to set up the menu

Any key dont work :(

magiK
May 1st, 2006, 00:23
pakkman781: Make sure you apply the patch over the original v1.0 files.
gelon: The on-screen keyboard only works with firmware 1.5 for now. You can try pressing cross, circle, square or triangle while holding down the left trigger to input some letters.

POOKAPOOKAPOOKA
May 1st, 2006, 03:07
when i finally get this on my psp i will freak. so much nostalgia... well i'm only 14 but still. help: i think i found the .hog and .pig files on the provided website by downloading the linux patches.. however, when i load the game on my psp i get the following message:
"error: cannot open file Descent.tex or descent .txb"

michael chan
May 1st, 2006, 03:49
damm it!right when i update to 2.70, descent comes out for psp.

ben15
May 1st, 2006, 05:00
Magik, you are my hero. I grew up on this game, this is awesome, thank you.

ogopogo
May 1st, 2006, 07:44
I'm having the same problem as POOKAPOOKAPOOKA using the .hog and .pig from the aniversary edition of Descent (I get the same error whether or not i patch first)

I also tried copying almost all of the game files to the memstick in the same location as the .hog and .pig, but to no avail.

I've played this game to death on pc and ps1 and I'd been praying that someone would have the skills to port it to psp.

Any help/suggestions may just be the answers to my prayers.

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 10:39
So has anyone actually got this to work?

If so, please state all files and directories as well as your FW state..

Cheers

danknugz
May 1st, 2006, 10:54
i got it to work, but i cant customize controlls. wtf im soooo close man!

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 11:07
so are you on 1.5 FW?

titch.ryan
May 1st, 2006, 11:20
where can i get the data files from? i cant find them onthe site mentioned in the readme!

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 11:22
go to the website stated in the readme and download the Linux patch at the bottom of the page.

That has the files but i'm not sure if there the exact ones needed as I am on 2.0 FW and have installed the game correctly but I am having an error:

ben15
May 1st, 2006, 12:19
The readme actually worked fine for me, I patched the descent.hog, .pig, and .dem (Which is just a demo) and put all of them in the Descent (with no % sign) directory, then I downloaded the Goemon timidity patchkit, renamed it to timidity, and copied it to the Descent directory. Then I loaded it up on my PSP and played to level 4 before I went to sleep, it works great.

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 12:48
So where exactly did you obtain the .hog, .pig and .dem files?

I manged to only get the .hog and .pig from a linux patch on the website stated by the readme.

NAGOHDOTCOM
May 1st, 2006, 12:57
So I got it work on 2.6! works like a dream! It took some playing around to get the controls working, but now its very playable. I loved this game back in the day, great job on getting it ported, now my PSP is coming alive. DOOM QUAKE and now DESCENT! and to confirm, I am running 2.6 FW.

BTW, I got the full game running, I didnt need to patch it, I guess Iwas already running 1.4a.

grin.ch
May 1st, 2006, 18:42
So is this tight or what? I haven't tried it and it looks really cool, but wtf is it?

cypher_187
May 1st, 2006, 20:05
where is the .dem file? anddo i have to rename the .hog and .pig to just that because right now they are .hog.diff and .pig.diff?

better yet can somebody that has gotten this running explain how they did it step but bloody step

ben15
May 1st, 2006, 23:05
So where exactly did you obtain the .hog, .pig and .dem files?

I manged to only get the .hog and .pig from a linux patch on the website stated by the readme.

I have the game, I took them from the DESCENT folder on my PC.

I've noticed a bug: If you die, abort game, then reload a saved file (without exiting the app), it shows it in the wide type of screen that it does when it shows your ship explode.

ben15
May 1st, 2006, 23:08
where is the .dem file? anddo i have to rename the .hog and .pig to just that because right now they are .hog.diff and .pig.diff?

better yet can somebody that has gotten this running explain how they did it step but bloody step

If you have the game installed on your computer, you should go to the directory, and there should be descent.pig, descent.hog, and descent.dem there. You copy them to the PSP's Descent directory.

cypher_187
May 2nd, 2006, 00:48
ahhh but i do not have it installed and i cant find my copy (or my copy of doom for that matter)

nexus68
May 2nd, 2006, 00:57
descent.dem is not on the shareware version and the windows v1.4a update patch (www.dxx-rebirth.de) is for commercial version only.

chickenclaws
May 2nd, 2006, 03:39
is it ilegal to ask someone to post a working pre setup version of this Demo or full
(i thought full was free-ware now because the full source was released)

ben15
May 2nd, 2006, 04:49
is it ilegal to ask someone to post a working pre setup version of this Demo or full
(i thought full was free-ware now because the full source was released)

Yeah, It is supposedly illegal. The source code that was released was stripped of some of the Descent things for copyright purposes if I remember correctly.

titch.ryan
May 2nd, 2006, 08:06
could someone please upload the full game and folders all setup for psp somewhere please? and then send me the link!

Be3f
May 2nd, 2006, 08:40
Screebshot:
Awesome port! :p

cypher_187
May 2nd, 2006, 12:21
its not illegal if you already own the full game (wich i do) to copy or download file that is needed

jordilt
May 2nd, 2006, 15:45
So I got it work on 2.6! works like a dream! It took some playing around to get the controls working, but now its very playable. I loved this game back in the day, great job on getting it ported, now my PSP is coming alive. DOOM QUAKE and now DESCENT! and to confirm, I am running 2.6 FW.

BTW, I got the full game running, I didnt need to patch it, I guess Iwas already running 1.4a.
How did you get the controls to work? i can turn left, right, up and down, and fire works fine, but I can´t get the accelerate to work. How did tou managed to configure the controls?
Do the on screen keyborad works for you? I don´t think so....Please tell me how you did it.... I´ll love to play this game on my psp!
btw i have 2.01 fw.

ben15
May 2nd, 2006, 21:34
How did you get the controls to work? i can turn left, right, up and down, and fire works fine, but I can´t get the accelerate to work. How did tou managed to configure the controls?
Do the on screen keyborad works for you? I don´t think so....Please tell me how you did it.... I´ll love to play this game on my psp!
btw i have 2.01 fw.

Go to options then setup controls for keyboard.

metalhd702
May 2nd, 2006, 22:22
Hey guys i got this on my psp, i patched the files but i can't save my game

i have FW 1.5 but i am using the 1.0 eboot with the NO-KExploit patch

is this still a bug? not saving your game? or can you all save your game?

ben15
May 3rd, 2006, 04:53
Hey guys i got this on my psp, i patched the files but i can't save my game

i have FW 1.5 but i am using the 1.0 eboot with the NO-KExploit patch

is this still a bug? not saving your game? or can you all save your game?

I can't input text into my save game but I just press X at the point where it wants you to enter text and it says "SaveGame0".

POOKAPOOKAPOOKA
May 3rd, 2006, 06:27
hmm... i own the game for the mac... since the files from that wont work, would it be illegal to download a pc version?

indstr
May 3rd, 2006, 12:14
got it all loaded up, everthing works great..

EXCEPT

i can't disable ship auto levelling!

PLEASE! tell me that there is a way to disable it. omg.

pakkman781
May 3rd, 2006, 22:43
hmm... i own the game for the mac... since the files from that wont work, would it be illegal to download a pc version?

Yeah, I'm in the same situation :( I honestly don't think it would be illegal if you own the Mac version, since the license for that should be valid either way.

If you have any success tracking down a copy, please PM me! :) I'm dying to play this.

Kikuichimoji
May 5th, 2006, 15:52
It wasn't working for me before (2.0 fw), but after the updated version of eLoader 0.97 from fanjita.org (with the fixed menu thing) it works GREAT. I initially set it up to use Joystick controls, and then it wouldn't let me change it to keyboard, so I was freaking out, but you can still set keyboard controls.

Awesome awesome job porting this!!! The music is actually quite accurately represented too. My only complaint is that sometimes it's hard to control with the joystick, but the buttons don't respond quite as quick. I put some deadzone on the joystick and decreased it's sensitivity a little bit and that helps a lot, but it's still not quite perfect. ;-)

Do you guys know if upping the CPU to 333 helps with the parts where there's like 4 or 5 enemies on screen and it slows down?

jordilt
May 6th, 2006, 06:22
how did you get the music to work? i downloaded goemon´s patchkit and renamed to timidity.cfg but it dosn´t work.

jordilt
May 7th, 2006, 10:05
I've decided to release this even though its not 100% stable and may still contain zillions of bugs. Check the psp-readme.txt file for install instructions and details. Also note that ad-hoc play will most likely not work in this release, since I haven't got a chance to test it yet, but infrastructure mode should work just fine. Please remember that you need updated PIG and HOG files. Enjoy!

Download and Give Feedback Via the Comments
I´ve posted the question, but no one answer me. Please can you tell me how to get music to work? I´ve done what you says in the readme about the goemon´s patchkit but it dosn´t work for me.
I must say this is for me one of the best hombrew for the psp. Thanks for your great work!!

Murdock
May 7th, 2006, 14:45
Hi fellas!

I d/l'ed the port and installed EXACTLY as the readme.txt told me and it worked right away. sorry to say, but the guys which got trouble getting it to work either were too fast and skipped some details in the readme or got a version of descent which is incompatible or causes bugs.

NOW to my problem: As you already said Mr. Developer (sorry, I just forgot your name :o ) this version seems not to be very stable. Because after having played almost the whole first level, I get to the boss of Lvl. 1 and the game crashes :(

I can safe, I can load, I can configure the controls, I got sound. To sum it up, EVERYTHIING WORX, but it just crashes. Is that normal, or shall I d/l another version of the game and try to install is again?

Thx!

For all those who OWN the game, but accidently can't find their version, here is a Link to aonther website where u can d/l a version of the game:

http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf-jeu.php3?id=310

This is a french site, I am NOT french, but I know the language a little :) just click on téléchanger ... then the d/l starts ...

Is this legal? Is this illegal? I don't care ... I am NOT responsible for any content of the site, I have linked to!

And here a final question: is there a possibility to install Descent 2, too? I mean it's the same engine, isn't it?

Greetz!

jordilt
May 9th, 2006, 06:08
Hi fellas!

I d/l'ed the port and installed EXACTLY as the readme.txt told me and it worked right away. sorry to say, but the guys which got trouble getting it to work either were too fast and skipped some details in the readme or got a version of descent which is incompatible or causes bugs.

NOW to my problem: As you already said Mr. Developer (sorry, I just forgot your name :o ) this version seems not to be very stable. Because after having played almost the whole first level, I get to the boss of Lvl. 1 and the game crashes :(

I can safe, I can load, I can configure the controls, I got sound. To sum it up, EVERYTHIING WORX, but it just crashes. Is that normal, or shall I d/l another version of the game and try to install is again?

Thx!

For all those who OWN the game, but accidently can't find their version, here is a Link to aonther website where u can d/l a version of the game:

http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf-jeu.php3?id=310

This is a french site, I am NOT french, but I know the language a little :) just click on téléchanger ... then the d/l starts ...

Is this legal? Is this illegal? I don't care ... I am NOT responsible for any content of the site, I have linked to!

And here a final question: is there a possibility to install Descent 2, too? I mean it's the same engine, isn't it?

Greetz!
Hi,
I am playing level 2, so far I don´t have problems of stability, everything works great for me except the music. (and I as well did EXACTLY as the readme tells). Do you hear music?
If so.... can you tell me how you did it?
Btw , your link is where I downloaded this game..... 3 years ago. Great site for abandoneware!

Murdock
May 9th, 2006, 17:24
hmm, as I said, I did exactly what the readme told me ... used the readme's source for the files that "make" music ... but I at the moment have't got my PSP with me, I am studiying in a big German city and forgto my PSP at my home(town) ... I'll describe EXACTLY hat I files I have on my PSP and where I got 'em from. I hope this might help you, will it?

jordilt
May 10th, 2006, 06:16
Yes, this will help. You are very kind to answer.
Thanks Murdock!!!!

Gargantula
July 12th, 2006, 15:05
I was also getting the error:

BUT...

I added the "__SCE__" and "%__SCE__" in front of the appropriate folders to hide the Corrupt Data folders, but that causes the error!!! So do not rename the folders for now.

If you take that out it worked for me! I hate the Corrupt Data folders in the menu, may Descent please be updated to recitify this situation so that it looks for "__SCE__DESCENT" instead?

I figured out what has to be done for the music. Extract the goemon file that is inside the goemon.gz file with WinRAR.

*Make sure that Windows Explorer is set to view extensions in Folder Options in order to do this!*

After extracting the file you will see that it has no extension. Add ".rar" (without the quotes) so that you can open it in WinRAR. In there is the file you need extract those into the PSP\GAME\DESCENT folder then rename the "goemon.cfg" to "timidity.cfg". It should finally work!

I downloaded the windows 14a patch on the referenced site in the readme. I used that one and ran ran it to extract the files and then executed patch.exe, it updated and then I copied the required files over.

blackbeardd
September 24th, 2007, 20:03
I've got everything to work with firmware 3.4oe-a. I copied all the fires to the "game" folder as well as the "game150" folder.
My problem now, is that I am asked for the pilot name at the start of each game but it won't let me select a previously used pilot name making resuming a saved game impossible.

Anger
September 24th, 2007, 20:36
there are fixed paths in the program meaning you cannot change the paths without hexing them in the file. i did this to allow the game to work and still have the __sce trick working. this is also a main cause of the music and saves not working, but it may not be the cause of the crashes.
if you are asked for your name even tho you have saved it already (from the second game onwards you will get that) then you must change the paths back to default.

blackbeardd
September 25th, 2007, 06:27
I've found a solution. Just enter a new pilots name, say
"xox" then copy the newly formed xox.plr and xox.plx files from the "game150" folder to the "game" folder.
Then you can pick "xox" from the "select pilot" menu which means the save games for that pilot are usable.
Now to finish the game which I last played 13 years ago. This is a fantastic port.

Anger
September 25th, 2007, 13:18
yes that might work however i think it wont save correctly if you do that (wouldnt you have to copy the files each time you begin a game?).
imo its better to have the game save and load files to the same place which is why i hexed the path to be the root of my memory stick. this avoids the corrupt icons and still allows saving, loading and creating pilots.

blackbeardd
September 26th, 2007, 18:43
It seems to save correctly. I've saved about 20 times and turned on off my psp after saving, then loaded my saved game after turning on again with no problems.

Raziel-chan
October 27th, 2007, 00:35
This is one shockingly awesome piece of coding... My only complaint is that it's kinda unstable (the 1.0 version on slim through 1.000 eloader). It hung when loading the first level the first time I started the game (but it never again did that), plus the analog nub tends to be finicky, sometimes registering movement when not even touched (the second time I played).

Still, the third time it seems to be perfect :3

cya
Raziel-chan

classicman
March 31st, 2008, 06:49
Hello,

thanks a lot for the port! I liked the game very much.

But i can't get it to run properly :(

I have the 1.5 version of the Game and the 3.40 OE-A firmware

when i put those 3 files mentioned above in the GAME150 Folder in my psp i get the follow error:

when i put all files in the GAME folder, i've got

"the game could not be started. (8002014c)"

any help would be great ... thanks anyway!

No_one_in_particular
March 31st, 2008, 14:07
You're on Sony's official 3.40 firmware, you'll need a custom firmware for it to work.

classicman
April 1st, 2008, 00:30
You're on Sony's official 3.40 firmware, you'll need a custom firmware for it to work.

Thanks for your quick answer. Of course i have a custom firmware, i have corrected the exact version label in my previous post above.

Any ideas why i get those strange errors?

AlexCory
April 3rd, 2008, 22:30
I need some help with this error too... something about a missing DESCENT.TEX and DESCENT.TXB files on the psp?

well I've already done all the searching and tests and still nothing works.

There was one thing I tried though just to see what would happen...

The descent patcher website( http://www.dxx-rebirth.de/ ) offers a windows executable version of descent that also requires the .pig and .hog descent files in order for it to work properly. So I decided to get it and put the .pig and .hog files I had from my registered commercial version of descent. Surprisingly I found that these files I have work on the PC windows version?!?!

For some reason these files do not work on the PSP version however... Why is this??? honestly it doesnt make any sense to me coding wise. Cause you most likely based this off of the code on that website since it is open source... (which is why you refer us there for the patch for those files in the first place...)

Any ideas?

EDIT: and fyi, my firmware is 3.90 M33-2 (game should still run properly in the GAME150 folder though cause I use plenty of 150 apps on my PSP with this firmware.)

Drego
April 21st, 2008, 06:05
Wow I feel smart. I have figured out the "Cannot find DESCENT.TEX or DESCENT.TXB" error. For those running off of a PHAT with 1.5 kernal you need to put the HOG and PIG files into the GAME folder, not the GAME150. So you should have your files like so:

MS0:\PSP\GAME150\DESCENT\EBOOT.PBP
MS0:\PSP\GAME\DESCENT\DESCENT.HOG
MS0:\PSP\GAME\DESCENT\DESCENT.PIG

Should fix your problems... I hope :-P

AlexCory
May 7th, 2008, 12:52
OMG!!! DREGO!!! YOU RULE!!!

your suggestion fixed up my psp nicely :D

now i gotta figure out how to type in the pilot name... hmm...