PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Slim - OtherOS Exploit Fix?!

wraggster
August 18th, 2009, 21:40
News via http://streetskaterfu.blogspot.com/2009/08/ps3-slim-cheap-plastic-otheros-exploit.html

I just read through all information SONY gave @ GamesCom and found an interesting fact regarding the new PS3 "slim" SKU:

The new PS3 system will focus on delivering games and other entertainment content, and users will not be able to install other Operating Systems to the new PS3 system.

Why? There is no logical reason for removing the OtherOS function. Except the OtherOS contains a huge potential exploit which SONY can't fix without removing the complete function? We don't know, yet. At least the 3.0 firmware should not remove the OtherOS from the "fat" PS3 systems. The PlayStation3 originally is shipped international as computer system to save money at the toll. The only reason why it is handled as computer system is the OtherOS function.

- SKFU

Darksaviour69
August 19th, 2009, 14:04
no more linux on the ps3

sorceror
August 19th, 2009, 17:09
There is no logical reason for removing the OtherOS function.

Sure there is. (a) Costs money to port the hypervisor to the slim hardware. (b) PS3s bought for supercomputing add nothing to Sony's bottom line. (c) People have used Linux to rip Blu-ray movies.

Since few people install Linux on the PS3 (I've done it, but I don't claim to be typical) Sony has little motive to support it on the new hardware and good reasons above not to.

I kinda wish there was an exploit, but there's no real evidence for it, sadly.