PDA

View Full Version : Daedalus PSP (N64 emu)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Darksaviour69
May 1st, 2006, 15:13
StrmnNrmn posted in our submit news forum (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23613).

To cut a long story short, I managed to port the emulator over fairly quickly, but after starting a new job development ground to a halt. A few months later I saw the buzz surrounding PSMonkey's N64 emu, and thought I'd have to finally bite the bullet and let people see what I had been working on.

This is quite important: The emulator is far from perfect - many (most) roms don't currently boot, and there are all sorts of crashes, graphical glitches and performance issues. There's no sound or savegame support either This should really be treated as a teaser of what's possible in the future. Hopefully if I have enough time and motivation I'll be able to make a lot of headway with these problems.

Despite all that, the emulator is showing some great signs of progress. Super Mario 64 is looking pretty good as you can see from the screenshots here: http://sourceforge.net/project/screenshots.php?group_id=57977.

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/mario64works.JPG

The next big tasks for me to tackle are to fix various crashes (i.e. many roms boot but then bug out after a few seconds) and improve performance (i.e. Mario currently only runs at around 20-25% of full speed.

StrmnNrmn is one of the authers of Deadalus (http://daedalus.boob.co.uk/), the N64 emu for the P.C.

Download and Give Feedback via comments

UPDATE - MORE SCREENS

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/snap0012.JPG

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/snap0010.JPG

New Compat list here --> http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=23616

kyus
May 1st, 2006, 15:21
I hope more work will be done on it in future. It looks EXCEEDINGLY promising... with 2 n64 emu's in development... we should be pretty much assured of great compatability and alot of great releases.

Anybody know what's happening with pspsone?

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 15:41
Does this work on FW 2.0?

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 15:46
O M F G!!!!!!

71M
May 1st, 2006, 15:46
Stellar work StrmnNrmn! :D

Cheers,
71M

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 15:47
when i run a rom (goldeneye - .z64) i get a white dotted screen then a sleep/death mode.

any suggestions for me?

(all my files are in the proper locations)

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 15:51
This is absoluately awesome!! Even if the framerate is crap...

I really want to show this off to my friends but it doesn't seem to be working.

I am on 2.0 FW by the way

jOeBrO
May 1st, 2006, 15:53
i hope StrmnNrmn and PSMonkey can work together on this emu if at all possible.. they might be able to make their time working on the emu more efficient

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 15:56
This is absoluately awesome!! Even if the framerate is crap...

I really want to show this off to my friends but it doesn't seem to be working.

I am on 2.0 FW by the way

I've currently only compiled up releases for v1.0 and v1.5 firmware (these are the only two versions I can test easily). I'll have a look today at getting a v2.0 FW release out.

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 15:57
antilope did you do anything particular to get metroid running?

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 16:00
WHhich roms work??? will any of these: Starfox, Star Wars: Shadow of the empire Castlevania 64, Castlevania: Legacy of Darkness, Banjo Kazzoie roms work?? it all i have... can someone pm me with Super Mario 64??

urherenow
May 1st, 2006, 16:01
uhh... prime hunters?

I don't think that was n64. I think it's game cube

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 16:05
That would be great...

It is always a shame when user-mode eboots aren't compatible for 2.0

Again this is a phenominal achievement in psp homebrew and it just goes to show what is possible in the future

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 16:05
antilope did you do anything particular to get metroid running?
huh? you mean super metroid for the SNES? wtf are you talking about?
{no rom begging}

Mr.Modem
May 1st, 2006, 16:06
Wow this is really cool. I never thought it would be so fast! I hope you can optimize your code and maybe use the ME processor like in Snes9xTYL. Now PsMonkey get some competition.

werdykt
May 1st, 2006, 16:09
How is speed?Full?

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 16:13
here are links to screenshots of whats happening to me when i run this... any suggestions? im using a 8 meg rom (zipped) of super mario kart now

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0004.bmp

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0003.bmp

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 16:13
Wow this is really cool. I never thought it would be so fast! I hope you can optimize your code and maybe use the ME processor like in Snes9xTYL. Now PsMonkey get some competition.

I'll certainly check out Snes9x - thanks for the heads up. I'm currently in the process of rewriting the dynarec for the PSP, but I think that's going to be quite a long-term job.

How is speed?Full?

If only :) Mario currently runs at around 20-25% of full speed.

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 16:15
i hope psmonkey doesnt feel bad. i think you and him should work toogether.
btw StrmnNrmn AMAZING WORK!!!!!

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 16:17
oh sorry for spamming the forum but i found out what my problem was, i renamed the folders to hide the corrupted data icon and it didnt recognize anymore. dont mess with the folder names folks.

kersplatty
May 1st, 2006, 16:18
omg is this for real? i think i need glasses coz im blinded by this sexy **** :D

wraggster
May 1st, 2006, 16:19
bloody awesome news, need to get my PSP charged asap :)

LiNKZiE
May 1st, 2006, 16:21
oh sorry for spamming the forum but i found out what my problem was, i renamed the folders to hide the corrupted data icon and it didnt recognize anymore. dont mess with the folder names folks.

i did the same misstake! so don't try to hide the corrupted data icon (:

anyway i don't care if there is one corrupted data icon, i mean is a n64 emu!

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 16:22
I'm going to post some screens of what i can get working in a moment... this is truly exciting on sooo many levels

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 16:24
About getting the emu to work on 2.0 FW:

The message i am currently getting via the Eboot loader is

"Found suspicious hard path at 089B7F30:
ms0:\PSP\GAME\Daedalus\Resources\background.raw"

Then when you press a button to continue, the eboot starts with the grey background... but no menu options then the screen goes blank after a few seconds

If that is any help

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 16:26
im playing mario here, its really cool!

DocRalph
May 1st, 2006, 16:27
Waw, Mario 64 runs very nicely !
Many thanks for your release StrmnNrmn, keep up the good work !

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 16:28
goldeneye and super smash brothers respective intros

AMAZING SPEED if u ask me, but still doesnt get to in-game

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0007.bmp

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0008.bmp

Mr.Modem
May 1st, 2006, 16:31
Ok I have some questions if you don't mind:

Have you done any optimizing of the code at all? I you haven't it's awesome cause running at 25% speed is really good for a first release.

Does this run at 333 mhz?

Are you using the gu for the rendering or is it pure software rendering?

Once again, thanks for this awesome release!

Mew
May 1st, 2006, 16:37
OMG
oh shit!
I played Mario 64, I PLAYED MARRIO 64 ON MY PSP!!!
Well, who needs a NDS now? :D

Amazing man, it's only a teaser but SOOO playable!!
Darksaviour69, you definatly rock! I hope you and PSPMonkey could do the N64 emulator together, for faster and more easy-going development :).

You have my deepest respect to spare your free time on such a project and to have the kindess to share it with us! :)
Thank you so much!!

Accordion
May 1st, 2006, 16:43
it doesn't seem to work for me
i have 1.5 and it loads up fine but them it says no rom info or something for the super mario 64 rom i put in the folder
i select the "no rom info" in red and press start, then some text comes up about the location of the rom, followed by "failed... SLEEPING! or something

someone please help

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 16:43
3 more screens i took before i go and contemplate the changing state of my psp

Mario Kart
http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0010.bmp

Mario 64

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0011.bmp

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0012.bmp

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 16:45
accordian boy you changed the default folder names, as i posted earlier DONT DO THAT

Leave the folder names as-is even tho it causes a corrupt data icon.

DONT CHANGE THE FOLDER NAMES

:-)

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 16:48
Ok I have some questions if you don't mind:

Have you done any optimizing of the code at all? I you haven't it's awesome cause running at 25% speed is really good for a first release.

Does this run at 333 mhz?

Are you using the gu for the rendering or is it pure software rendering?

Once again, thanks for this awesome release!

The code is almost a straight port of the PC code, so there's very little work done on optimising specifically for the PSP. It is running at 333 MHz. Currently I'm compiling with -O1, as -O2 seems to cause gcc to generate 'bad' code (i.e. it crashes on startup).

I'm doing software transforms + lighting, but all the rasterisation is handled by the psp hardware (there's probably quite a lot of work that can be done to optimise this).

I think the main speedup will come from sorting out the dynamic recompilation, but I need to free up another 3/4 MB of memory to get this working.

Accordion
May 1st, 2006, 16:48
i havn't changed the names of the eboot files i do get a corrupted icon for it im sure
the names are the same as in the download

daedalus & daedalus%

thats how they came in the file
what do i do

the eboot loads but the rom doesnt
is there a specific rom name i need or a specific version of super mario 64

pkmusicmaker
May 1st, 2006, 16:49
It's really funny that we now have 2 N64 emulators in the runnning and GBA is still mission impossible.

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 16:50

Then when you press a button to continue, the eboot starts with the grey background... but no menu options then the screen goes blank after a few seconds

If that is any help

Yeah - that's quite useful to know. I'll take a look at fixing those paths to be relative.

Thanks.

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 16:52
I will try zelda, maybe it works

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 16:53
Glover works!

kersplatty
May 1st, 2006, 16:53
when did you start this project? cant w8 till nxt release

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 16:54
zelda dont charge!

Accordion
May 1st, 2006, 16:54
help me please this news is too big to lose out on

pm me with any alternative help im desperate

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 17:00
when i start it, all i see is this big brown screen but no menu options (and yes i have roms i n the roms folder) and when i press x the screen just goes black and nothing happens
EDIT: got it running now!!!

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:04
.rom roms dont work, you will have to rename it to .v64!

Accordion
May 1st, 2006, 17:05
i will try that now
at the moment it is .z64

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 17:06
the 1 i dl'd was z64, but ill try rename it to v64.
edit.: works now!!

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 17:06
create a .zip archive of your roms, that seems to work for me.

Accordion
May 1st, 2006, 17:07
wooo hooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
it works
thankyou every one

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:07
but please rename it with goodn64, not by explorer!!!!

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 17:08
zelda dont charge!

The Zelda rom is unfortunately too large to load at the moment (it's around 32MB, the largest I can currently handle is around 12MB). I'm currently in the process of rewriting the way roms are handled so that the data is streamed in as required (that's not to say that there won't be other issues with Zelda though!)

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:09
mario kart 64 is entering in the game!!!!!!!!!!

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:09
not in-game, but the rom entered in... the presentation its ok! ;)

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:10
The Zelda rom is unfortunately too large to load at the moment (it's around 32MB, the largest I can currently handle is around 12MB). I'm currently in the process of rewriting the way roms are handled so that the data is streamed in as required (that's not to say that there won't be other issues with Zelda though!)

yeah, I know that dude, just trying!!

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:14
bomberman v64 entered in aswell, menu´s are messed UP, and in-game screen is black!

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:17
waverace JAP doesnt work, i dont know about US.

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 17:18
some shots of the menus in Goldeneye 007 - doesnt progress to game tho

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0013.bmp

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0014.bmp

http://dijama.googlepages.com/snap0015.bmp

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:19
aerogauge entered in, menu showing! no in-game yet!

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 17:21

Whoops. He's right - my mistake (sorry!) Of course you can also .zip up all your roms which should save some space on your memory stick...

V3N0M
May 1st, 2006, 17:23
This is so cool!!!

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 17:23
which roms work? is there a list somewhere?

V3N0M
May 1st, 2006, 17:24
Does Smash Bros work? I will try if no one has not

1z0
May 1st, 2006, 17:26
smash bros will play the intro sequence, but doesnt work.

i looove smash lol

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:26
StrmnNrmn thx for this emu dude, u rocks aswell!

bugo
May 1st, 2006, 17:27
StarFOx 64 works! and in-game!!!!

V3N0M
May 1st, 2006, 17:28
IF we .zip the roms up will it make it run slower and which pc emu did u port it from?

amadeus
May 1st, 2006, 17:30
About getting the emu to work on 2.0 FW:

The message i am currently getting via the Eboot loader is

If that is any help

I get the same message on my 2.01 jap
Using the GTA loader
It goes to the grey screen with the title at the top then goes black.

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 17:31
btw i almost forgot this... how could i........ THANKS ALOT TO StrmnNrmn YOU ARE A PSP HACKER GOD!!!!

sroon
DAMN! im still at school and I cant try it till later on!
It looks good tho.
Great job!

vettacossx
ok so we need V.64 roms zipped for it too work....cool good to know...but if i zipp the file on my 2.6....it dont show...if its unzipped..it does showup! and i press x on the rom the orange lite flashes on the left and it loads,,,,then i see a black screen,,,but its NOT FROZE if i hold START L AND R it goes back to the eloader no prob....and the EBOOT works fine too

but theres a
bad file bug somewhere??

suspicious hard path at 089b7f30 ms0:/psp/game/daedalus/resources/background.raw

now my questions thanx in advance

1 do you intend on sticking this out untill its full speed and more compatable or leaving this to others?

2 how long will it be or is it even possible for this too run in USER MODE for PSP compatability from vs 1.0 - 2.6 like M64??

3MOST IMPORTANT TO ME ;) DO you have any intentions of using some team work with psmonkey too acheve a coomon goal faster? as i know he is always open for ideas and he is a genuineley gr8 guy!!!

4 when can we expect a release with the dynamic recompiler done...will this take a long period of time.

thanks in advanced gr8 job so far ...i hope you get a chance to get to these questions ill be sure to flip back here from monkeys pen to check on this ...again amazing job for a first release!!

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 17:32
uhh... prime hunters?

I don't think that was n64. I think it's game cube
errm thats my sig

sroon
May 1st, 2006, 17:39
Hunters is DS.
Prime echoes is GameCube.

V3N0M
May 1st, 2006, 17:41
SMASH BROS. does not work yet

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 17:41
IF we .zip the roms up will it make it run slower and which pc emu did u port it from?

If anything zipping the roms will be slightly faster (it's probably quicker to read compressed data from the MS and decompress on the fly than it is to read the uncompressed data). At the moment it only affects the loading time - once the rom is loaded the memory stick isn't accessed at all.

It's a port of an emulator I wrote back around 1999-2001!

V3N0M
May 1st, 2006, 17:42
AMAZING do u think smash bros will work?

tophead420
May 1st, 2006, 17:43
ok im on 2.6 fw i get the suspious hrd path message wen i boot it up then it goes to the emu menu then i load my rom [havestmoon64] and it crashes. does it crash bc my rom dont work on the emu or does the emu not work on 2.6 fw if ne1 can help please do but neway this is still awsome

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 17:48
lol, almost everything in the first level of mario 64 is entirely white

Apoklepz
May 1st, 2006, 17:51
:eek: Holy Jehosapheth!! I saw this and immediately thought it was either a really bad prank or PSP Monkey finally got it toghether.... This is ground breaking news for me...I'm trying out some games right now...Thanks for the amazing work man, and I'm really looking forward to the next update.... Kudos!

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 18:16
ok so we need V.64 roms zipped for it too work....cool good to know now my questions thanx in advance

1 do you intend on sticking this out untill its full speed and more compatable or leaving this to others?

2 how long will it be or is it even possible for this too run in USER MODE for PSP compatability from vs 1.0 - 2.6 like M64??

3MOST IMPORTANT TO ME ;) DO you have any intentions of using some team work with psmonkey too acheve a coomon goal faster? as i know he is always open for ideas and he is a genuineley gr8 guy!!!

4 when can we expect a release with the dynamic recompiler done...will this take a long period of time.

thanks in advanced gr8 job so far ...i hope you get a chance to get to these questions ill be sure to flip back here from monkeys pen to check on this ...again amazing job for a first release!!

Hiya, some good questions here.

1. I always intend to support things I release, but in the past I've often found that work commitments can get in the way. That's one of the reasons I've released the source on sourceforge, as it means people can keep working on the emulator in my absence.

2. I'm looking at this right now, with the help of 71M (he has a lot more PSP experience than me). I don't know how long this will take, but it is a priority.

3. I think this would be a good thing. He's been in touch so we'll see what happens.

4. I really don't know about this. I'd say at least a month. I need to look at streaming the rom in on-demand first, in order to free up enough memory for the dynamic recompilation to work.

grin.ch
May 1st, 2006, 18:18
This is amazing! I wonder if PSmonkey feels bad. He was the only one working on this projeKt and now I'll bet he's bummed out. Esp since this one does more than his so far... w/e these guys should definitely work together. this is unbelieveable! The ONLY thing I'm waiting for is Goldeneye. I LOVE that game! and to play it on the PSP - OMG!!!

Apoklepz
May 1st, 2006, 18:20
Mortal Kombat Trilogy runs slower than Super Mario 64, but it only goes up to the caracter select screen. I'm checking MK 4 right now...

Bryden
May 1st, 2006, 18:30
Seriously, like every other person has been saying; you should get together with PSMonkey and compare notes and stuff. That would be incredible. Anyway, good luck to the both of you and keep up the awesome work!

Apoklepz
May 1st, 2006, 18:36
I tried three differrent MK4 roms but neither worked...Oh well...This is still the best news I've heard today.

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 18:43
i havn't changed the names of the eboot files i do get a corrupted icon for it im sure
the names are the same as in the download

daedalus & daedalus%

thats how they came in the file
what do i do

the eboot loads but the rom doesnt
is there a specific rom name i need or a specific version of super mario 64
it needs to be a "v64" file, not rom or z64.... just change the name...

Apoklepz
May 1st, 2006, 18:44
BTW whomever got smash bros. intro to run....wich rom did you use? I've tried the three I have and all three fail to load. Thank you.

NEVERMIND...I think I didn't actually try the japanese version before....that's the one that works, it's also the smallest in size.

Just tested two versions of CastleVania 64

...it loads the screen that prompts for the memory card(no text) then a blue screen, but that's about it...the emulator stops the game abruptly afterwards.

vettacossx
May 1st, 2006, 18:55
FIRST THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR TAKING TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTIONS
i know your busy.....
SECOND GRINCH i doubt he is MAD to be honest i think STRNM would agree PSMONKEY is tackling a BIGGER more COMPLETE n64 for a END result of better speeds and compatability...so is he mad....no ...prob releaved he does not have to spend EVERY spare min. on his emu now at least some of you have a teaser to satisfy you till the M64 wich was not EVEN in the SAME genre as this emu....but there both 64 emu you say...
well yes thats true...however they are very different in that psmonkey is making a 64 MADE FOR PSP and the DAedleus is a awsome pc n64 that has generously been ported.....but its not even close to the same thing...my only concern now that i know both project leader ARE team players AND DO share a common goal in this and have kept in contact....is that there projects will be too different to work together on the same emu....so they will have to do the un-thinkable....work on 2 of them IF they do decide to....alot of commitment involved ....eather way its awsome you released the source on sourceforge....very very cool man...thanx againg for answering my question...

idapimp
May 1st, 2006, 19:04
yes. vettacossx is right. this is a port. working from scratch and porting are 2 totally different things. this still runs pc code on the psp. while m64 is running natively.

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 19:06
Starfox works ingame (training mode)!!!! w00t!!!! youre a GOD StrmnNrmn!!!!
Im trying to run Snowboard kids aswell now.... ive gotten up the intro screens ("atlus" and "racdym") and now the intro video..... it blinks all the time, has tons of graphical glitches, goes terribly slow and there text in the background all the time which says "[MShould be servicing pending interruots here: 04 08?" LOL... but it the intro runs (in game doesnt seem to work)!!! w00t!!! :D :D :D :D

hockey2112
May 1st, 2006, 19:11
Very exciting indeed. Will you be posting here when you have a 2.0+ version? Do you have any idea when that might be available to us?

Cooe14
May 1st, 2006, 19:17
This is great, though in the long run M64 has MUCH greater potential due to the fact that it is being coded from scratch for the psp rather than being a pc emu port.

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 19:19
quest64 and mega man 64 doesnt work.... mario kart froze when i pressed start (for me)... and with smashbros i just gets lots of error messages....

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 19:30
Very exciting indeed. Will you be posting here when you have a 2.0+ version? Do you have any idea when that might be available to us?

No timescale at the moment I'm afraid - all I can say is that I'm looking into it and I'll release an update as soon as I can verify it's working.

hockey2112
May 1st, 2006, 19:32
Fair enough. Can't wait! :<)

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 19:36
yes. vettacossx is right. this is a port. working from scratch and porting are 2 totally different things. this still runs pc code on the psp. while m64 is running natively.
i think m64 will turn out the best in the end because of this

kersplatty
May 1st, 2006, 19:39
can anyone pm me a converter program for.z64-.v64 coz i hav load of z64 files i want to use. what program can i use convert my z64 files to the right v64 format?

kale
May 1st, 2006, 19:46
im pretty sure you can just change the file extension name and it should work.

Malksta
May 1st, 2006, 19:56
holy sh*t
cannot belive this happened
i am in a dream

The Horny Antilope
May 1st, 2006, 20:01
can anyone pm me a converter program for.z64-.v64 coz i hav load of z64 files i want to use. what program can i use convert my z64 files to the right v64 format?
just rename them

akuma2000
May 1st, 2006, 20:04
This i cool now all someone needs to do is make a decent GBA emulator then all the gaming systems will be done.

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 20:07
No timescale at the moment I'm afraid - all I can say is that I'm looking into it and I'll release an update as soon as I can verify it's working.

Ok, I have an updated version - amongst a couple of other small fixes (.z64/.rom, relative paths) this also runs in user mode, which I'm hoping will solve the problems for v2.0 firmware users. Files are here:

Downloads Attached :)

Could someone with v2.0 firmware try this out and report back their findings please? :)

AcerVentura
May 1st, 2006, 20:17
This i cool now all someone needs to do is make a decent GBA emulator then all the gaming systems will be done.

Well, we're still waiting for PS1 emu...

But let's keep this on topic!

vettacossx
May 1st, 2006, 20:19
STRNM i have a 2.6 and im here all week long all the time if you need me to test anything id love to help out along the way and i respect your positon...lol...im not gonna blow up your mail as you can see on my sig down below....lol...i get enough mail that i can relate...alot of ppl like to ridicule each other in a childish manor calling new commers names instead of being a MATURE part of a gr8 scene...just thought id tell you im more than willing too test on my 2.6 my mail is at the bottom there...like i say i have lots of time im disabled so...i just mod all day and hangout here with jummkay...waiting for our next homebrew fix....lol....ive learned a gr8 deal by observing and maintaining TRUST RESPECT AND COMMUNICATION...im glad that your so fast with responses its a teatament to your charicter i have a gr8 deal of respect for you already ...good look on the user mode man....take your time....

PSmonkey
May 1st, 2006, 20:30
Ok, I have an updated version - amongst a couple of other small fixes (.z64/.rom, relative paths) this also runs in user mode, which I'm hoping will solve the problems for v2.0 firmware users. Files are here:

https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=57977&package_id=188603&release_id=414132

Could someone with v2.0 firmware try this out and report back their findings please? :)

Small fix. Disable controllerpak & rumblepak. this should permit camilion twist to work (and worth doing since you're not really saving or handling saves atm).

--edit--
this is directed to StrmnNrmn

vettacossx
May 1st, 2006, 20:40
im trying it on 2.6 now

djacura
May 1st, 2006, 20:45
they would be able to help mutually psmonkey

this emu 64 is impressive, very good really with what you are obtaining in less time of what seemed we will play oh 64, greetings and many thanks

V3N0M
May 1st, 2006, 20:49
I would also be willing to test for you StrmnNrmn i have 1.5 and Vetta so we could test and be able to compare and help u if needed my email is [email protected]

LAMPRO
May 1st, 2006, 20:49
There is a new version- 'R2'(release 2) as monkey has posted above (reply# 102).. keep it current!! Get the R2 Version!! Keep the scene evolving.. maybe there will be a r3 or r4 version with all things working!! GREAT WORK!!

V3N0M
May 1st, 2006, 20:52
There is a new version- 'R2'(release 2) as monkey has posted above (reply# 102).. keep it current!! Get the R2 Version!! Keep the scene evolving.. maybe there will be a r3 or r4 version with all things working!! GREAT WORK!!

Is that an update or just 2.6 eboot?

Darksaviour69
May 1st, 2006, 20:55
http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111587#post111587

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 20:56
Small fix. Disable controllerpak & rumblepak. this should permit camilion twist to work (and worth doing since you're not really saving or handling saves atm).

Cheers - I'll give that a go. It should be possible to edit daedalus.ini directly to fix various issues such as this - I'll update the next version to take this into account.

felonyr301
May 1st, 2006, 20:57
wow man wow just wow lost words i cant even begin to thank you for this..... zelda 64.....soon my lovely game... soon.... lol

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 21:10
I get the same message on my 2.01 jap
Using the GTA loader
It goes to the grey screen with the title at the top then goes black.

Yes i do...

Its mainly to do with the firmware and the eloader

Daedalus said he will sort a v2.0+ for the emulator

I there any news on this Daedalus? :)

hank splendid
May 1st, 2006, 21:13

Downloads Attached :)

Yep - it's running on 2.0. I've only tested Mario 64. Mario's face on the title screen and the ingame character are having some texture problems. I went into the castle and entered the first level of the game, but it crashed just after that. There's also no sound.

I have to say that i whooped with delight at the sight of the Super Mario 64 logo zooming onto the PSP screen!

StrmnNrmn
May 1st, 2006, 21:19
Yep - it's running on 2.0. I've only tested Mario 64. Mario's face on the title screen and the ingame character are having some texture problems. I went into the castle and entered the first level of the game, but it crashed just after that. There's also no sound.

Excellent news - thanks for confirming it's working.

Yep - there are a number of lighting/texturing issues to address in Mario 64, but it's probably the most 'well behaved' rom available. I think the crashing is due to the emulator exhausting texture memory - this is on my list of things to look at.

As is adding audio support :)

MetalMarksman
May 1st, 2006, 21:29
If you have some bug fixes can you attach them please? It's awesome this emulator!!

SSaxdude
May 1st, 2006, 21:32
OMG this is the best day of my life! First, I got no homework at school, then I come home and see this! It may be slow, but it is a good example of what will be possible soon. Maybe PSMonkey should work on this and try to speed it up (if that's possible with a port.)

metalspector
May 1st, 2006, 21:33
It doesn't work on my 2.6 psp , when I load the rom appears and I go to load it the screen turns black and nothing happens. :(

01cooperl
May 1st, 2006, 21:34
Yeh, now its working on all firmwares is great to hear too

The mario 64 game truely awesome...

All it needs is some coding TLC for textures and features from other games

MetalMarksman
May 1st, 2006, 21:40
It Works On My 2.6!!!1 Wowww

MetalMarksman
May 1st, 2006, 21:59
Any updates? sorry for double posting.

been09
May 1st, 2006, 22:00
>_<. This emulator comes out when my GTA umd gets smashed. Sniffle...my poor poor homebrew. Anyway, awesome stuff man.

Voltron
May 1st, 2006, 22:16
WOW! This just came out of nowhere and kicked my ass. This is infinitely encouraging news & development for the PSP Scene. Stuff like this pretty much ensures that the PSP and homebrew are not going anywhere. This is not some fad or temporary buzz.

Awesome work. Please let us know what sort of "encouragement" you may need to allocate more time to this project. Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

vettacossx
May 1st, 2006, 22:35
i just tried to load glover....i seen it was working and its only 8mb and v64 so it was a gr8 first game to try as my mario is z64....i got an ARRAY of errors it said it was trying to load invalid cart then somthing about it being to big for it to go that distance ...they only showed these flash of errors the first time i went to load it again so i could write the errors down as it tryed to load it then i tried again guess what it worked!!!

John Vattic
May 1st, 2006, 22:38
I'm awestruck. :eek:
unfortunately i have only two ms duos and they're both occupied.

jman420
May 1st, 2006, 22:47
incredible work! I knew someone would do a daedauls port lol... props for the success :D

vettacossx
May 1st, 2006, 22:48
OMG AMAZING!! it played on my 2.6 glover and mario kart 64 got to title!!!

i cant wait for it to have the dynamic recompiler all worked out then we can concentrate on gems like perfect dark killer instinct gold,smashbros,and everybodys precious zelda....lol but thats a very distant future...but it looks better all the time dont it?

wonder when he will release a vs with the dynamic recompiler and if they know on a scale from 1-10 how hard this will be to do??

N64DUDE
May 1st, 2006, 22:49
Its certainly a incredible release. Deadalus psp, best emulator release of the year. Lets hope psmonkey and daedalus creator join forces to create the perfect n64 emu for the psp!

vettacossx
May 1st, 2006, 23:05
OK 2.6 USERS KEEP THIS IN MIND THIS IS FOR YOU!VS R2 WORKS GR8!
ok just like the dgen 0.70 the r2 vs of this emu works but NOT IF THE ROMS R ZIPPED from what i read this may not be the case for all firmewares but IT IS FOR 2.6 just place your .V64 ROMS (under 12 mb it would seem) in the rom folder boot it up and be patient loading takes a lil while ;)

zero129
May 1st, 2006, 23:07
Wow is all i can see, great work dude.
For something that came out of no where it's amazin.

I just hope you continue to work on it :) .

RedKing14CA
May 1st, 2006, 23:40
Gr8, if you can double the fps some how (4-7 right now, 8-14 doubled) it will probably be playable...

THe textures and sound dont really get in the way of mario, just the FPS...

Also, wont user mode make it slower?

christophe
May 1st, 2006, 23:55
ah man gutted they finally released this n64 emu, just updated to 2.70 a few days ago. cos didnt really expect progress to have been made so quick... :( but anyway hopefully theyll find a possible way to eventually run homebrew on 2.70. or sony might (very doubtful) allow homebrew apps in future.

2.70 is kinda neat flash is a tad slow. but other than that its not too bad. and loco roco rocks btw despite what fanjita had to say about it. :P.

amadeus
May 1st, 2006, 23:57
Just tried out the R2 version
Works ok on my 2.01 with gta loader.

@vettacossx
Zipped roms work ok for me

RedKing14CA
May 2nd, 2006, 00:11
Will we see another update in four hours? say, you should give an update everyfour hours!

Cooe14
May 2nd, 2006, 00:14
I found a way to make it run faster- run it thorugh IRShell at 333mhz it will give you a nice boost in speed.

acdc1432
May 2nd, 2006, 00:25
I tried it using Fanjita's eboot loader, and it didn't work. I only tried super mario. Daedalus came up, but when I started loading super mario, it was loading, then the screen stayed black. The screen stayed on for a couple of minutes, then it turned off.

Video_freak
May 2nd, 2006, 00:32
i'm using the eboot loader (fw 2.0) and the game loads and works great. it's still a bit slow but awesome job!

acdc1432
May 2nd, 2006, 00:37
I tried it again and it loaded but it said it couldn't find Boot\/ntsc.pif

Video_freak
May 2nd, 2006, 00:38
the update is way faster than the original release. this is so cool, i guess i can trash my DS now

BALL_SAC
May 2nd, 2006, 00:43
This is hella tight!!! congrats on making this and Im looking forward to seeing the the next new releases. I cant wait for the day that you can play nintendo 64 on the go!

nyrtrublue
May 2nd, 2006, 00:45
OMG this is the best day of my life! First, I got no homework at school, then I come home and see this! It may be slow, but it is a good example of what will be possible soon. Maybe PSMonkey should work on this and try to speed it up (if that's possible with a port.)

Ditto this is the greatest day of my life but is it true that you cant speed up a port?

Mustang
May 2nd, 2006, 02:30
Splendid stuff - thanks a lot for this : absolutely delighted to see yourself and Mr Monkey knocking heads on this too - best of luck fellas (when I saw the Super Mario 64 title screen my heart fluttered a little :D )

vettacossx
May 2nd, 2006, 03:08
found a way to make it run faster- run it thorugh IRShell at 333mhz it will give you a nice boost in speed.

good look cooe14!!! does irshell work for 2.x yet last i checked it didnt just curious

MegaManNetRonin
May 2nd, 2006, 03:20
Hey, VettaCossX,

I'm running 2.6, and I'm confused as hell.
I'm using "BOCK" to load it, and I have four Daedalus things to choose from.
I've tried all 4, and the same thing always happens,
Black Screen, flash of text, Gray Logo screen, I press X,
Black Screen, PSP suffer horrible death...
Well, okay it just turns off but whatever....

Please help.

Pirathonite
May 2nd, 2006, 03:35
found a way to make it run faster- run it thorugh IRShell at 333mhz it will give you a nice boost in speed.

good look cooe14!!! does irshell work for 2.x yet last i checked it didnt just curious
Hey, in IRshell do you just raise to 333mhz and hit X on the emulator or do you Launch homebrew from /IRSHELL/HOMEBREW/EBOOT.PBP, and if that then what do i put in the HOMEBREW folder? just the eboot?
Thanks

CalvinDu
May 2nd, 2006, 03:41
Great stuff.

crazy_biker420
May 2nd, 2006, 03:49
these guys should really exchange source code and stuff they might have some games working soon

Privateer
May 2nd, 2006, 03:57
This is just so awesome.

I'm playing Mario 64 on my PSP.

I've been waiting for this for so long...

As others have said, I really hope you and monkey can work together. I'm sure the result would be fantastic.

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 04:14
Those with questions for vettacrossx i know him and he is a good friend of mine i will ask him to answer your questions i would but can't because i have 1.5 and am not fimilar with 2.6 Homebrew

Phlickerjr
May 2nd, 2006, 04:26
Im using firmware 2.6 and I have sucessfully played the game. It's slow and quite a bit of graphical issues but it is an awsome first release. Please don't be like the other dudes and quit your project! We need you!!!! MUST HAVE BANJO KAZOOIE IN POCKET!!!!

slayer2psp
May 2nd, 2006, 04:33

Ditto this is the greatest day of my life but is it true that you cant speed up a port?
your life must be very sad if this slow emu is the best day of your life just sad

Cooe14
May 2nd, 2006, 04:35
Hey, in IRshell do you just raise to 333mhz and hit X on the emulator or do you Launch homebrew from /IRSHELL/HOMEBREW/EBOOT.PBP, and if that then what do i put in the HOMEBREW folder? just the eboot?
Thanks
Just raise the speed to 333 mhz and hit x on the emulator. The emulator should be in the games folder like always.

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 05:23
your life must be very sad if this slow emu is the best day of your life just sad

So what if he is happy does not mean his life is sad man when i saw this this morning i was amazed too. So don't ruin the fun for everyone everyone new this would happen eventually. It happened sooner than we all had thought it would. So were glad it did and the progress is amazing and soon it will be near perfection.

jman420
May 2nd, 2006, 05:25
hey, you stole me screen name! lol

does the EMU do anything more then supermario 64 at 25% speed??

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 05:25
Just wondering when will there be more updates and when does he plan on doing a Dymatic Recomplier? i think thats what its called probaly spelled that wrong.

gimpyjr
May 2nd, 2006, 05:26
Wow this emulator is so awsome.
I knew from the beginning that this could be done as a matter of fact my first thread was about the posibility of N64 on PSP and people said it wasn't possible. You kick ass dude.

P.S. the framerate isn't that bad considering it's a port.
great work. I wounder if rouge squadron would play on this after a lot and I mean a lot of optimization.

keep it up :-)

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 05:27
Hey i think your the one that my buddys thought u were me lol a whole thread on a stupid screen name. lol
he is planning to speed it up
Originally Posted by jman420hey, you stole me screen name! loldoes the EMU do anything more then supermario 64 at 25% speed??

what do u mean by that? do u mean compatibility list? Man i still can't get over the fact that my buddy's thought u were me and u thought i was that other one that u don't like and got a whole thread fight over screen names because of a misunderstanding. lol
Plus i have been here longer LOL just playin i don't know i have been here a long time but thats funny

rehbock
May 2nd, 2006, 05:35
nice emu :)

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 05:36
This is really cool but remember its a port so it wont be as good speed wise in the end compared to PSMonkey at least it gives us something to do in the time being while monkey is working on his M64

jman420
May 2nd, 2006, 06:17
and accualy, it was that people on the PSMonkey thread thought I was you, and were giving me crap because of it, (you must not be to popular :p)

I never thought you were somebody else, I was getting crap from people for being you lol

and no, I did understand the compatibility list, I just found it..
and apperently the only thing that works at the moment is mario...

the emulator itself needs a different method of loading and emulation then the one built for PC..
but I left my input on that in the compatibility list thread lol

and its a dynamic recompiler..

calebg
May 2nd, 2006, 06:40
this runs really good on my 2.6 with emenu final

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 06:54
keep on topic with comments please

FattyXP
May 2nd, 2006, 06:55
Man do people know how to read? The first like 6 pages have posts of "OMFG!!!11 This is so awesome but I can't get (put rom name here) to work correctly, plz help!!!11BBQSAUCE"

Read the post. THIS IS NOT A FULLY WORKING EMULATOR YET, as it is, it can barely play Mario at 20-25% speed.

This emulator has better potential than PSMonkeys simply because of the fact that it is a proven working emulator already. Lots of things that need to be figured out are already, and he just needs to code things to use PSP hardware more efficiently and get around the limitations of the hardware. Many things have been ported over to the PSP from PC and worked fine. Things just need to be optimized for PSP hardware. M64 is being coded from scratch, written specifically for PSP but that doesn't mean its going to be better because of this. Just because the code is ported doesn't mean its going to run slower, in fact the coding is nearly the same, made clear by the fact that he said he ported it over easily. n64 games are terribly complex and so is the code to run them... give these guys time!

When do you think you'll release the src to RC2? I notice you have RC1 on the sourceforge site. I think making this opensource would speed things up a bit, more people that specialize in PSP coding and optimization would help out greatly.

Wow this emulator is so awsome.
I knew from the beginning that this could be done as a matter of fact my first thread was about the posibility of N64 on PSP and people said it wasn't possible. You kick ass dude.

Man, any emulator is possible as long as the system you are trying to emulate it on is capable enough. Assuming it meets processing requirements and is equal to or above the required "bit" as in 64 bit or 128 bit. This system is faster than the n64, and the "OS" of the PSP isn't terribly bloated so it shouldn't take up much processing power.

JMann NOT 420, dude learn to make one post. There were like 5 posts in a row that were just you, thats simply unnessasary. Learn to use edit.

Oh yeah and the emulator runs on my 2.0 -> 1.5 US PSP. I have X-Flash on there where I replaced the wave effect, game load screen and startup screen. If that has any adverse effects.
Hangs on going back to the PSP menu after getting to the booting text screen. Anywhere past the boot text gives the same effect. If the rom just goes to black screen it will load the PSP menu.
On all the roms that go to the rom boot text, it says "Couldn't find `Boot\/ntsc.pif"

Goldeneye (u) [!] ---- goes to black screen directly after loading.
Goldeneye (u) (Rapid fire) --- goes to all the booting text and just sits there after saying loading from mempack for a while till the screen turns off
Goldeneye (u) (godmode) -- same as above.

Super Mario 64 (U) [!] - Loads and does exactly as everyone else has stated. Mmm the castle flyby brings back some memories... ahh the good ol days.
Flyby textures and outside castle textures are perfect. Aside from the text window background and a few places where terrain textures become invisible/distorted. First level all terrian textures are white, but trees and other objects are viable and textured. This level runs considerably slower than the castle, undoubtedly because the level is much larger.
Super Mario 64 (U) [h5] (Enable Hidden Scroller) -- Basically same as above, just enables the hidden "Hello N64 World" scroller at the bottom. Which actually works somewhat. Here is a Screenshot (http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d180/fattyxp/Mario_Scroll.jpg)
Super Mario 64 (U) [t1] (Invincible) -- Same as standard [!]. Seemed to run slightly slower during the Mario face intro. Exiting from this ROM actually went back to the menu.
Super Mario 64 (U) [t2] (Speed) -- Standard mario report. Everything works exactly as described before. This rom also returns to PSP menu.

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 06:56
No they were talking to u Jman420. only one person there thought u were me my Buddy Vetta. and they were commenting on your comments not mine so they were talking to like that and tried to figure out why i was such an ass when they figured out that it was not me it was you. I read the form and some of the things u said were not accuract. But lets put that behind us it was a big misunderstanding. Nothing to fight over again. so we have things sorrted out and by the way i have never offended anyone i try not to. no matter how mad they get me and your comment (you must not be to popular) is not accurate like many things u said. So lets try and put this behind us because it was a missunderstanding.

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 06:58
keep on topic with comments please

Sorry Wraggster for the spam just had to clear up a big missunderstanding from before so we will stay on topic now.

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 07:01
Man do people know how to read? The first like 6 pages have posts of "OMFG!!!11 This is so awesome but I can't get (put rom name here) to work correctly, plz help!!!11BBQSAUCE"

Read the post. THIS IS NOT A FULLY WORKING EMULATOR YET, as it is, it can barely play Mario at 20-25% speed.

This emulator has better potential than PSMonkeys simply because of the fact that it is a proven working emulator already. Lots of things that need to be figured out are already, and he just needs to code things to use PSP hardware more efficiently and get around the limitations of the hardware. Many things have been ported over to the PSP from PC and worked fine. Things just need to be optimized for PSP hardware. M64 is being coded from scratch, written specifically for PSP but that doesn't mean its going to be better because of this. Just because the code is ported doesn't mean its going to run slower, in fact the coding is nearly the same, made clear by the fact that he said he ported it over easily. n64 games are terribly complex and so is the code to run them... give these guys time!

When do you think you'll release the src to RC2? I notice you have RC1 on the sourceforge site. I think making this opensource would speed things up a bit, more people that specialize in PSP coding and optimization would help out greatly.

Man, any emulator is possible as long as the system you are trying to emulate it on is capable enough. Assuming it meets processing requirements and is equal to or above the required "bit" as in 64 bit or 128 bit. This system is faster than the n64, and the "OS" of the PSP isn't terribly bloated so it shouldn't take up much processing power.

JMann NOT 420, dude learn to make one post. There were like 5 posts in a row that were just you, thats simply unnessasary. Learn to use edit.

hey don't get but hurt lol i will edit them if u want sometimes its easyer to read it in small portions but SORRY for the inconvience and lets try to stay on topic please.

stotheamuel
May 2nd, 2006, 07:04
it does get a wee bit annoying..... COCK BLOCK!

there u go now im preventing u from going 4 in a row again... im sure ull post more

but im glad ur enthusiastic too

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 07:08
it does get a wee bit annoying..... COCK BLOCK!

there u go now im preventing u from going 4 in a row again... im sure ull post more

but im glad ur enthusiastic too

Just fixed it lol thats funny sorry lol now lets stay on topic please ....

disturbed19
May 2nd, 2006, 07:31
i noticed that monkeys emualtor got more games running ingame, that would be pretty cool if they can like combine there projects or something or share eachothers knowledge and work on one single emulator, if they did this they would have a fast and compatible N64 emulator in no time, so come on boys, this would get the whole world excited(psp owners).

Link190
May 2nd, 2006, 07:38
this is great news....hope u guys can get the emu to work soon without any problems..good luck

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 07:39
i noticed that monkeys emualtor got more games running ingame, that would be pretty cool if they can like combine there projects or something or share eachothers knowledge and work on one single emulator, if they did this they would have a fast and compatible N64 emulator in no time, so come on boys, this would get the whole world excited(psp owners).

Not really i imagen that they are both very good coders but PSMonkey is making his from scratch not to mention it is desighned for the psp witch most likely in the end will be the best emu the new one is a ported and not ment for the psp but if he and PSMonkey worked on M64 it would be that much better were here ya can't really combine them. This is very cool considering the fact it came out of no where and can keep us ocupied until M64 is released the next few days will be very intresting in deed.

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 07:41
a question from me

Does setting the PSP to 333mhx using irshell really affect the speed of the emulator that much ?

If both coders join together we could see an amazing emulator, yes its great already but with 2 coders optimising code and puling the best speed with that in mind this could be very interesting

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 07:44
I noticed that this emu doesnt have a killer back ground/gui and icon when on the PSP, can all those who are good at such things have a go and upload some creations.

(and keep on topic or posts will be removed - spam elsewhere)

stotheamuel
May 2nd, 2006, 07:45
not drasticly but noticbly....... especialy in the menu...i got up the mountain once both ways and on ir it took about 3-4 minutes less

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 07:49
You know anything that makes the emu even better, faster, compatable is worth a try hey Wraggster in the end how fast and compatable do u think these emu's will be, based on everything that we know so far? most people in the begining thought this was not possible and even if it was it would be slow and non playable. So when they proved that wrong it shows how wroung people were. so what r your predictions for these emu's?

jman420
May 2nd, 2006, 07:52
well and I wondered, is it possible to use the ME processor, and run the program in not-user mode lol

forgot what the other mode was :p

and Jman, 2 things.. my bad on your friends' confusion, it was a different forum where people thought I was another other Jman, so your friends could have thought you were me, or i was u, or somthing... either way.. yeah

and why does it mater how fast it will be?? SNES works, everybody is happy with it, and it still isnt even full speed lol

even if it was 70fps, with super x sal texture emulation.. it would still be just as fun as 45 fps and low resolution rendering :D

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 07:54
This is an open source emulator and thats the beauty of it but im sure the real speed difference will come when it uses Kernal Mode which is bad for users over v1.5, but with the PSP scene full of great coders then i can see this being the release of the year and overshadowing Sonys own PS1 emu .

What a release though, slow or not it has surely woken us all up.

FattyXP
May 2nd, 2006, 07:55
You know anything that makes the emu even better, faster, compatable is worth a try hey Wraggster in the end how fast and compatable do u think these emu's will be, based on everything that we know so far? most people in the begining thought this was not possible and even if it was it would be slow and non playable. So when they proved that wrong it shows how wroung people were. so what r your predictions for these emu's?

As I said before, it is completly possible to emulate 64 on this system. And it will run full speed and have a high compatability rate with games as long as it gets coded properly for the psp hardware and the coders don't give up. As I said n64 games are horribly complex and so is emulating them, give this guy time. Its only been hours since he released this and you are already crawling all over peoples backs about it. Hell the reason why there weren't really that many n64 games isn't really because PS1 was better, but because n64 was hard to program for, as its language was nearly as complex as emulating it is.

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 07:58
I wonder if this means we will eventually see a new PC release of Daedalus in the future :)

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 08:04
Ya i completely understand and ya what i ment by faster is playable like SNES yoyofr did a good job. But just as an estament out of a 100% do u think will be playable? like 90%?

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 08:07
this is really cool i wanted to thank u guys for the Information i understand the basics maby even more but theres always room for improvement learning new things thanx

FattyXP
May 2nd, 2006, 08:09
Well considering that even most SNES games aren't 100% fast and playable...(I mean with sound enabled, etc basically default settings) I think it will be a long while before we see a viable and playable n64 emu for PSP. The fact that it runs as fast as it does for an early WIP release is a good start. I would definatly say it will get to at least 90% speed/playability if not better, assuming the coders stay at it. I do have one question though... how in the world will we be able to use all the buttons... there just simply aren't enough on the PSP! GHASP.

crossfadeking
May 2nd, 2006, 08:09
this does work on my 2.6.
i am well happy and playing mario 64

shadowprophet
May 2nd, 2006, 08:10
So i can keep up with this thread, its interesting :p

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 08:14
When i was talking to PSMonkey he explained to me exactly how possibe it was witch is great because thats what we want. I found it this is what he said...

PSmonkey PSP Coder Join Date: Sep 2005Posts: 611 Re: Please Read...Thank you for your answer QuoteOriginally Posted by JmanUmmKayHey psmonkey i had a question about the monkey 64 emu that are working on. I remmember you saying something about the psp is closer to the N64 than anything else. Now i know that you know an N64 emulater for the psp is infact possible because you wouldn't be working on one if didn't. so what i am asking is What makes you believe that the N64 Emu is possible on a PSP? Thanks-Jman

PSMonkey response...

Well both use simular processors. They both come from the same family with both have few things different. The n64 is a r4300 mips processor where the psp is a r4000 mips processor. The n64 is 64bit but 80% of the instructions are 32bit with a few special case instructions in 64bit. In terms of gpu, the n64 gpu is far weaker then the psp gpu yet the n64 has a pretty strong combinder but that could easly be solved via multi pass rendering on the psp ( and as long as textures are in vram, multi pass rendering is not very costly ).Thats really about it. I've heavly discussed this with people who know n64 emulation like the back of their hand and it was well felt that with a solid recompiler, n64 emulation is more then posible (atleast on early roms like mario).

stotheamuel
May 2nd, 2006, 08:16
heres a quick one.... just replace name

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 08:17
Well considering that even most SNES games aren't 100% fast and playable...(I mean with sound enabled, etc basically default settings) I think it will be a long while before we see a viable and playable n64 emu for PSP. The fact that it runs as fast as it does for an early WIP release is a good start. I would definatly say it will get to at least 90% speed/playability if not better, assuming the coders stay at it. I do have one question though... how in the world will we be able to use all the buttons... there just simply aren't enough on the PSP! GHASP.

Don't worry they will find a way like everything they do.lol

shiftybill
May 2nd, 2006, 08:33
i finished the 1st level on mario 64 like 15 mins later lol . . . anyways keep up the great work

stotheamuel
May 2nd, 2006, 08:34
heres another a lil more complex.... and people... EDIT these or THROW them away lol... i just wanted to have fun :cool: and since no one who is good at these is on either...

oh and i dont know what the required dimensions are for eboots either so that's probobly wrong

*OH and the angel thing is what google came back with for Daedalus

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 08:48
LOL cool a little stand outish but cool LOL

Accordion
May 2nd, 2006, 08:51
i completed the first level on super mario 64 and the game paused for about 2 minutes then i was back outside the castle with all the textures messed up. the dust from mario running is stars and coins, and the walls of the castle are tiled textures of something
looked pretty good actually

is sleep supposed to work on 1.5, i tried it but it turned off completely after a long wait

i still cant believe im playing mario 64 on my psp
fantastic

Moning2
May 2nd, 2006, 10:49
the mario kart 1.0 logo works on my 2.01, then it crashes lol :p

tophead420
May 2nd, 2006, 11:37
k igot it to work fine with the r2 release on my 2.6 im playn mario rihgt now n its awsome the funny thing is this emu is pretty much as good as the gba emus this 1 runs fairly fast for what it is. good work man and keep up the totally awsome work on this maybe 1 day ill be able to play my 2 favorite n64 game DK 64, Zelda 64

oninotsume
May 2nd, 2006, 13:54
Wow! I'm really amazed at how faithfully everything is displayed on the PSP.

You said that this is a nearly direct port over from your PC emulator, so there is little need for optimization.
I don't know anything about programming, but this seems to run counter to most things I have heard about programming for the PSP.

People often say that PSP programs don't run well or as fast as they could because they ARE direct ports, and that making them from scratch on the PSP would have them work better.

If you have the time would you mind going into the details about how this program will be optomized or why it doesn't in order to run better on the PSP?

Good luck with the project, it's really quite amazing.

Never been a better time to own a PSP. With 2 N64 emulators and MAME coming up. I would rather buy a new PSP before upgrading.

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 14:16
I wonder if a Adhoc version is possible for 2 Player action in a future release :)

Malksta
May 2nd, 2006, 14:46
[img=http://img324.imageshack.us/img324/1359/daedalus10pk.th.gif] (http://img324.imageshack.us/my.php?image=daedalus10pk.gif)

msaraiva
May 2nd, 2006, 15:41
Great work! I tested it on my friend's psp, very nice for a first release.

OMG
oh shit!
I played Mario 64, I PLAYED MARRIO 64 ON MY PSP!!!
Well, who needs a NDS now? :D

OT: the funny thing is that the first thing people do when they get their new consoles is look for a way to play Nintendo games...

V3N0M
May 2nd, 2006, 18:13
I wonder if a Adhoc version is possible for 2 Player action in a future release :)

That should be one of the last things they do first the emu needs to running propaly with nearly no problems but as we have seen with other emu's wifi would be the icing on a cake. Of course after there done with the emu. But if u want to know there plans exactly ask them there gr8 people and would not mind answering some questions.

The Horny Antilope
May 2nd, 2006, 19:26
i just tried to load glover....i seen it was working and its only 8mb and v64 so it was a gr8 first game to try as my mario is z64....i got an ARRAY of errors it said it was trying to load invalid cart then somthing about it being to big for it to go that distance ...they only showed these flash of errors the first time i went to load it again so i could write the errors down as it tryed to load it then i tried again guess what it worked!!!
glover doesnt work for me:(

ciauz1
May 2nd, 2006, 19:40
Hy monkey! Why u can't cooperate with dedalus project? Is a light years ahead your psmonkey emu! Sorry but the source is very good and results are here in my psp's lcd....

Is my opinion...

lale05
May 2nd, 2006, 20:16
Hi. It's strange... some people say that they are running zelda64 on 2.6 (eLoader bock). But this doesnt work for me. I can only run super mario 64.

Cooe14
May 2nd, 2006, 20:22
No one is running Zelda it is too big of a rom to work.

PsychoSync
May 2nd, 2006, 21:17
here is my attempt at a Daedalus menu bg...

djacura
May 2nd, 2006, 22:07
very nice, now alone would lack a good icon, for the eboot and a sound. greetings

acn010
May 2nd, 2006, 22:37
omg!!this is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
keep in the good work man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djacura
May 2nd, 2006, 23:02
another pic I expect that be of its I please, this pic sounded them the drawing of a supposed one emu... without comments, it eh adapted for this fantastic one emu daedalus64, since is pleasant. greetings

http://i56.photobucket.com/albums/g200/djacura/daedalus64_logoacura.png

acn010
May 2nd, 2006, 23:04
it works on fw 2.00 for me "daedalus_psp_R2_v100.zip"
you rock!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

StrmnNrmn
May 2nd, 2006, 23:11
No one is running Zelda it is too big of a rom to work.

That was true as of 20 minutes ago :)

R3 released (http://www.emutalk.net/showpost.php?p=332641&postcount=38)

Zelda now boots (to the opening Nintendo logo at least). Unfortunately it seems to hang for me before the opening intro sequence. :(

Still, R3 is a significant improvement over yesterday's release - many more roms boot now where the emulator would just run out of memory before. It's slowly, slowly getting there :)

Here's a shot of Spider-Man (32MB, unbootable before today :) )

http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/4880/sd00000gi.png (http://imageshack.us)

StrmnNrmn

CalvinDu
May 2nd, 2006, 23:17
Banjo Kazooie! Very nice.

wraggster
May 2nd, 2006, 23:19
bloody awesome news :)

tedou
May 2nd, 2006, 23:21
genius is back thanks

wadisnake
May 2nd, 2006, 23:24
Awesome, thanks StrmnNrmn :)

acn010
May 2nd, 2006, 23:30
and again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
cool!

StrmnNrmn
May 2nd, 2006, 23:34
One thing I forgot to mention that might take people by surprise are the 'big purple rectangles' that appear all over certain roms now. These basically appear for any combiner states that I've not mapped over the PSP yet (which is literally thousands of them).

Previously when I encountered unhandled combiner modes I just displayed them as white textures. The problem was that often you'd get a white screen and have no idea what was going on. The purple textures make it more obvious that something is missing.

To fix these I need to figure out what the combiner state is that's not being handled correctly. When the emulator comes across these unhandled states, it dumps them in a file called <psp>\PSP\GAME\Daedalus\missing_mux.txt. The contents look something like this:

case 0x0012fe25fffff3f9LL:
//aRGB0: (Texel0 - 0 ) * Env + 0
//aA0 : (0 - 0 ) * 0 + Texel0
//aRGB1: (Texel0 - 0 ) * Env + 0
//aA1 : (0 - 0 ) * 0 + Texel0

If people email me the contents of these files with the name of the rom that produced them, it should go a long way towards sorting out the graphical glitches that are present at the moment. They're replaced every time you restart the emulator so you might need to back them up. You can grab my email address from the readme file that comes with the emulator.

Cheers,
StrmnNrmn

wadisnake
May 2nd, 2006, 23:39
Alright, i think we can help with this :p thanks again

nigelrigel
May 3rd, 2006, 00:00
Wow Wow Wow

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:20
30 sec till this is downloaded!!!!! Can't wait to try it!!!!!!!

samidgley
May 3rd, 2006, 00:29
Very wow :D. Well done you

sroon
May 3rd, 2006, 00:32
Im Playen Zelda Holy Tities!!!!!!!!!

bugo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:36
playing zelda??? or just the tittle?

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:39
:eek: Paper Mario loads!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: After 10min of it saying "RomCache - seeking from blah blah blah to blah blah blah in zip" It loaded!!!!!!!!!:eek: but now I think it froze, I tried to take a screen shot and when I exited it stoped. This has made my day:D Well done, Well done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Gona try it again (without taking a screen shot) and see if I get any farther. If I get in game, I will crap my pants:D

BTW I think I found ok y it froze. When I opened it up on my computer, I have a file in the Daedalus directery called "daedrom.tmp" and it is 12mb and I ran out of space on my MS. Gona delete some stuff, then try again.

dtothabreezy
May 3rd, 2006, 00:39
o god (craps pants)

PsychoSync
May 3rd, 2006, 00:46
Just a small question to StrmnNrmn: how do you make your background.raw file, i tried to modify it but its all messed up on PSP? thanks

bugo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:47
so, are you guys putting the roms into a zip file? or just playing it in .v64?

Carll
May 3rd, 2006, 00:48
sound support next? R4? :)

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:48
I put the roms in a .zip makes them a lot smaller:D

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:53
Every time I take a screen shot, it freezes:( I wana take a shot of the stage from the intro on Paper Mario in all of its pink glory:D (it is suppose to be checked at the bottom, and red and yellow on the top and the sides)

bugo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:53
I see, tryied to zip zelda, 24mb from 32mb, not alot smaller but better.

But what way it loads faster?

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 00:55
better has in how bugo?

samidgley
May 3rd, 2006, 00:56
Oh wow I hope Paper Mario properly works by the next release.. I think I may just play it on Project64 now thinking about it :P

Good work on the emu by the way, I think when there's a fully working N64 emu I'll hardly bother with proper PSP games

And just thinking about the Emu thing generally. It'll be really cool if different emulators could interact. For instance if Pokemon for the GBC could interact with Pokemon stadium eventually. I know its unlikley but it'd be cool

RaiderX
May 3rd, 2006, 01:00
better has in how bugo?

I think he meant that it was better size than before, compressing out 6MB is pretty good

And this emu is outstanding for a first release! Im impressed, cant wait to see future improvement!

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:00
WOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOO I got to the title screen of Paper Mario, put in my name for the save file, and when I started this message rolls down the screen "Should be servicing pending interrupts here : 04 08?" This message also appeard a few times during loading but it went away and contuned to work, but now it just repeats:( While I was at the intro and at teh title screen it was runing at 21fps:eek:!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

djacura
May 3rd, 2006, 01:01
is fantastic thanks, is very interesting that of the files that keep the errors of the read-only one, can help him a lot of oh to locate them. serious interesting that the people that was functioning the play hung the files of errors in a thread and that some moderator was passed him oh StrmnNrmn, pardon by my English, greetings

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:04
I looked at the error file for Paper Mario, and it is huge!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

samidgley
May 3rd, 2006, 01:07
When I triedto play Kirby it looked like the Matrix but in pink :P

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:18
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!!!! That was funny samidgley! How far did you get?

V3N0M
May 3rd, 2006, 01:20
Very nice keep up the great work!

Wally
May 3rd, 2006, 01:30
Just think of this as proof of concept. We all know that Monkey64 will be faster but this might just make it even better for PSmonkey as his emu is coded specificaly for PSP hardware.

SO lets cheer them both on. Its made lots of programmers dumber than they look

psiko_scweek
May 3rd, 2006, 01:31
ok quick question, i got got R3 and i was loading Dr.Mario64 and the emulator was like "rom is compressed and byteswapped | Decompressing rom to daedrom.tmp" and started some conversion process...has this happened to anyone else?

Master_shake329
May 3rd, 2006, 01:31
This is the best thing I have ever seen on the psp homebrew scene. No matter how slow the framerate is, it will only get faster, and proves that 64 emus on psp are possible. I just got two stars in mario, and for some reason, when I got to the Bomb boss, when he caught me and threw me all the textures got all messed up, and interchanged with each other (e.x. Instead of dust coming out when you run, eye tectures come out.) lol

I cant wait till theres gamesave support and eventually sound. Great work StrmnNrmn!

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:33
I can't beleve I can get to the title screen of Paper Mario on my PSP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D You and PSmonkey are the best PSP coders out there!

psiko_scweek
May 3rd, 2006, 01:34
i agree with everyone else, this is a great peice of software (all i gotta say is HA to all you naysayers!)

i also think that this emu can get better, but in the long run i think M64 and Daedlus should merge, becayse while M64 is being made ONLY for the PSP, the author of Daedlus knows what he is doing becayse he has coded an N64 emulator before, he isnt just learning from scratch like PSmonkey is.

i think someone should pick up the GBA project and write one from the ground up for the PSP...heh and then tackle a DS emu. :p

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:35
ok quick question, i got got R3 and i was loading Dr.Mario64 and the emulator was like "rom is compressed and byteswapped | Decompressing rom to daedrom.tmp" and started some conversion process...has this happened to anyone else?

Yes, that happens to everyone. It is a new feature of R3 (is this part of what lets you load humongorus roms like Paper Mario and Zelda?).

psiko_scweek
May 3rd, 2006, 01:46
its taking FOREVER!!!and its only halfway done! the rom is only 3mb too!! lol thanks for the info Shilo

bugo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:47
Shilo, are you waiting so much to decompress .v64 files?
Is .zip faster to decompress? cause, Im waiting too much I think...
Im waiting Banjo Kazooie and its taking too much time to load...
7148/16384 now in 12min, and loading... is this correct?

psiko_scweek
May 3rd, 2006, 01:49
oh yeah if it helps, the Dr.Mario file i have is zipped...

Cooe14
May 3rd, 2006, 01:49
Someone should try Resident Evil 2. It would probably take like an hour. :p

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:52
............................................... no. It takes me about 10min to load Paper Mario, and it is 40mb! (but it a .rom file). Mario 64 is a .v64 and it takes about 3min to load. Havn't tried Banjo Kazooie yet, cuz I don't own the rom, and would take me at least 2hrs to dl with dial up, but it shouldn't take that long to load :(

psiko_scweek
May 3rd, 2006, 01:53
lol one more question, i know its going to a file called....daedrom.tmp....lemme guess, if i try to reload it or something its gonna take the same amount of time?

maybe the author should release a simple program that can convert the N64 roms to "PSP Streamable Format" or whatever so that we wont have to wait unless we tried to load a non-converted file. i wouldnt mind sittin here converting my Roms to play.

bugo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:54
thx Shilo... maybe the .v64 filetype takes much more time...

psiko_scweek
May 3rd, 2006, 01:55
so unzipped loads a helluva lot faster? (starts unzipping his....roms)

Shilo
May 3rd, 2006, 01:56
I'll try RE2 LOL, seriosly, I will. Putting rom on PSP right now (this is gona take awhile:()