PDA

View Full Version : 3do4all: Possible?

1stvinicius
May 1st, 2006, 21:18
Ok Chui, you think it is possible to begin with this one? Since the 3do has lower specifications in comparison with the psx, why don't you take a look at it? What you guys think about that?

I have another question and i would be grateful if you can answer:

Some time ago, a guy named Ian Michael (guess you know it) released some single arcade emus (SGA) for the dreamcast but he's out of the scene now. My point is: what kind of advantage can an emu of this kind has upon emus that run various games?

quzar
May 1st, 2006, 21:56
(yes, i know i'm not chui, but maybe my answers will suffice)

It's not possible. If you do some research about the 3do you will find why emulation of it is pretty much restricted to a single emulator.

The SGAs have two advantages : 1) gui and extras. with a single game emulator it is easy to make a customized interface designed for that single game as well as include media and trivia about the game as extras. 2) most of the games that are made into sgas are memory intensive and mame based. by removing all the other unnecessary emulated bits from mame you save a LOT of memory (in the mbs).

1stvinicius
May 7th, 2006, 22:27
Hey Quzar, how are you going with your projects man?

Thanks for the explanations. They surely make sense.

quzar
May 8th, 2006, 08:45
just recently I lost all my code. The last backup I had of one project was neodc and it was from november, before I got any mvs stuff working. Aside from released code and wurlywurm, I lost all of my stuff.

1stvinicius
May 9th, 2006, 02:40
just recently I lost all my code. The last backup I had of one project was neodc and it was from november, before I got any mvs stuff working. Aside from released code and wurlywurm, I lost all of my stuff.

What da flock! Too bad man! Well, at least, you can start to work on a serious single project to challenge the strong ones that are just coming out.

chui
May 10th, 2006, 09:10
Ok Chui, you think it is possible to begin with this one? Since the 3do has lower specifications in comparison with the psx, why don't you take a look at it? What you guys think about that?

I have another question and i would be grateful if you can answer:

Some time ago, a guy named Ian Michael (guess you know it) released some single arcade emus (SGA) for the dreamcast but he's out of the scene now. My point is: what kind of advantage can an emu of this kind has upon emus that run various games?

I really don't know if its possible and i don't know very well this machine, but i could study it when i will finish current projects (1 year at least).

About SGAs, i don't like it, i prefer mame4all way because i can play around 1000 games with only one cd, but its possible that one game can be emulated only with SGAs method.

(yes, i know i'm not chui, but maybe my answers will suffice)

It's not possible. If you do some research about the 3do you will find why emulation of it is pretty much restricted to a single emulator.

The SGAs have two advantages : 1) gui and extras. with a single game emulator it is easy to make a customized interface designed for that single game as well as include media and trivia about the game as extras. 2) most of the games that are made into sgas are memory intensive and mame based. by removing all the other unnecessary emulated bits from mame you save a LOT of memory (in the mbs).

1) Special customize is question of save to VMU all games config: CPUs clocking, sound accuracy, button config, etc..

2) I dont understand your obsession about save memory, UAE4ALL, AES4ALL and MAME4ALL uses all dreamcast memory (VRAM and SRAM included) and running very well. Its true that its good idea try to avoid cache fails, but this means that you must try to minimize execution loop and avoid large arrays in game time.

The main problem of MAME4ALL is get stability and good performance for all games, but this is question of time for most of cases.

Rufus
May 18th, 2006, 20:28
Have a look at http://www.freedo.org

The PC version (1.7) is available for download and is quite good at emulating the 3DO.

A Dreamcast version has due to be released near the beginning of the year; however, the forums have been inoperable since mid February. Versions for Mac OSx, PS2 and XBOX were also heavily anticipated.

1stvinicius
May 21st, 2006, 15:36

I knew this one already, man, but, as you told before, they seem to be away from the scene... And they might had quit just because it is impossible to emulate 3do on a Dreamcast

Anyway, anyone can think that a 3do emu made by the big DC coders from these days would be much better than that emu...

Rufus
May 21st, 2006, 21:10
I knew this one already, man, but, as you told before, they seem to be away from the scene... And they might had quit just because it is impossible to emulate 3do on a Dreamcast

Anyway, anyone can think that a 3do emu made by the big DC coders from these days would be much better
than that emu...

If it was impossible, then why ask ;) and if memory serves, Felix helped with Chankast...

chui
May 22nd, 2006, 09:58

The PC version (1.7) is available for download and is quite good at emulating the 3DO.

A Dreamcast version has due to be released near the beginning of the year; however, the forums have been inoperable since mid February. Versions for Mac OSx, PS2 and XBOX were also heavily anticipated.

Freedo is closed source for WIN32, MACOSX and PocketPC, so i suppose that its a big shit.

EDIT: big shit for porting and getting source.

1stvinicius
May 31st, 2006, 18:38
If it was impossible, then why ask ;) and if memory serves, Felix helped with Chankast...

Well, impossible for them but maybe possible for this spanish guy we know.