PDA

View Full Version : PS3 Slim

Eviltaco64
August 20th, 2009, 03:02
Would you get one?

I'm looking to get a Slim PS3 within the next few months (I'm hoping to get one this Fall). I just wish they'd add backwards compatibility. :(

DPyro
August 20th, 2009, 03:30
Already have a PS3 so no point. Though I would buy one if I were rich :p

BlueCrab
August 20th, 2009, 03:38
Meh, I still have no reason to buy a PS3.

There's no exclusives to the console that cry out to me to get them. Pretty much everything I want comes out on the 360 or Wii.

Shadowblind
August 20th, 2009, 04:11
Already got one. The only game I really play on it nowadays anyway is Blazblue. I also don't see an exclusive I want until God of War III.

Triv1um
August 20th, 2009, 13:12
Im selling my PAL 60GB to get one.

VampDude
August 20th, 2009, 16:18
Im selling my PAL 60GB to get one.

Not a very wise move... Just buy a 120GB PS3, they will be the same price (or cheaper) when the slim is released and not look like a horrible Chinese toy.

Also, it's reported that it won't support Linux.

Linux Support
The option to install an alternative operating system has been removed from the new PS3 Slim, which means no more linux installs.

Triv1um
August 20th, 2009, 23:07
Linux is wank on the PS3 anyway.

Plus I love the new look.

mike_jmg
August 21st, 2009, 05:16
Already got one, but If I would've payed more money for it, I would've been really pissed, cause I got it like a month ago.

I mainly got it to play Killzone 2 and God of War 3, ohh and most likely Tekken 6 cause I need a decent controller to play it, sorry that's it for me, unless sony can come up with some good exclusives.

I think I'm gonna give linux a try, just because I can :p

pibs
August 21st, 2009, 11:09
I got a 60gb and I just love the memory card reader, makes it a breeze to transfer my media. Looking at what the PS3 has become, I doubt I would of purchased one now if I didn't already owned one. Too many features have been removed to justify the price imo. I'd probably get a wii and just buy a bunch of used shovelware to play when I'm under the influence ;) plus that new kickass looking metroid by team ninja coming up!

fg-54
August 21st, 2009, 15:47
Got my ps3 fat and I don't want a slim.

Eviltaco64
August 22nd, 2009, 10:44
Hmm, I think I've changed my mind.

Gamestop is selling the partially PS2 backwards-compatible 80GB PS3 for $279.99. Full BC 60GBs are now going for $329.99, but I don't want to end up having the drive fail on me like it did on mike_jmg.

I'm sorry, but that's a great deal and that model seems to offer a lot more than the Slim PS3.

fg-54
August 22nd, 2009, 17:45
$329.99 for a backwards compatible? I would totally go for that if I didn't have one already :(

lmtlmt
August 23rd, 2009, 02:39
ps3 slim looks like shit, i'm sticking with my original.

mike_jmg
August 23rd, 2009, 07:41
yup, 80Gb backwards compatible PS3 is the best one IMO, go for it Eviltaco

Eviltaco64
August 23rd, 2009, 10:50
yup, 80Gb backwards compatible PS3 is the best one IMO, go for it Eviltaco

Well, after some research, I found out that the original 80GBs use the same exact drives that the launch models did. They started using seperate lasers with the 40GB and second-generation 80GB.

I might as well get a 60GB with an unofficial warranty and go from there. If the laser does eventually die, I could probably replace it.

Both my SCPH-1001 PS1 and my former SCPH-39001 PS2 were both models that apparently had bad drives, but worked great for me.

EDIT: Damn, I've already changed my mind twice. :eek:

mike_jmg
August 23rd, 2009, 20:13
I have a SCPH-39001 PS2 too, It has had some problems every now and then but nothing too serious and it's still kiking.

For some strange reason I tend to get the console models that have more flaws :p

PS2 - SCPH-390001, the next one worked faster and a lot better
XBOX 360, one of the first models (white tray cover, not silver), wich tend to get RROD more often, at least I think they do.
60GB PS3, laser died, but that's why I got it so cheap.

Still, I'm happy with them.

edit: I think it is no big deal, If you know people who can fix them

Eviltaco64
August 23rd, 2009, 21:05
I have a SCPH-39001 PS2 too, It has had some problems every now and then but nothing too serious and it's still kiking.

Ha, the only problem with my old PS2 was that the fans died out. Then the rest of it did in a fire. :/

XBOX 360, one of the first models (white tray cover, not silver), wich tend to get RROD more often, at least I think they do.

My Xbox 360 was from around October 2006. To be honest, it collected dust for awhile. It ran great for about a year and a month, and then a specific chip near the fans came loose and it stopped outputting video. I called Microsoft to see if they'd fix it and they told me I'd have to pay $120 plus shipping because my warranty had just ended a few weeks prior. :/

Still, bringing the 360 back to life is pretty damn easy (just wrap it up in a blanket until it overheats, let it cool down, and it'll run for awhile. You can even do a proper repair by just hitting up a hardware store for some washers, screws, and some thermal cooling paste.

edit: I think it is no big deal, If you know people who can fix them

To be honest, it doesn't even look that hard to fix. It's just a wee bit expensive. :/

DPyro
August 24th, 2009, 03:47
I have honestly never had a problem with a Sony product.

the_eternal_dark
August 26th, 2009, 04:40
I'm getting it. Sony limited the current PS3 so much that Linux really isn't that fun unless you want to code for the Cell, which is a terribly tiny market. I like the looks of the slim, it will go nice with my new projector.