PDA

View Full Version : Dreamcast > PS3 slim?

Darksaviour69
August 20th, 2009, 15:54
http://www.dcemu.dreamhosters.com/pics2/d/238-3/ps3-slim-dreamcast-stand-500x333.jpg

VampDude
August 20th, 2009, 16:08
Exactly what I was thinking a few hours ago... The PS2 slim is slimmer.

Maybe they should have called it the PS3 flat? Because it looks flatter but somehow bigger? Though not by wideness left to right but front to back.

Anyway it fails.

Eviltaco64
August 20th, 2009, 21:17
Lets play some Jet Grind Radio.

DPyro
August 20th, 2009, 23:02
I don't get it?

The PS3 has a hard drive, Blu-ray and Cell processor...which all require a very efficient cooling system. The Dreamcast has..?

Eviltaco64
August 20th, 2009, 23:09
I don't get it?

The PS3 has a hard drive, Blu-ray and Cell processor...which all require a very efficient cooling system. The Dreamcast has..?

It had a 200 MHz Hitatchi-SH4 that could be overclocked to 270 by soldering in a new oscillator, 16MB ram, and a GD-rom for a massive 1GB of storage. May I say it did a damn good job utilizing that? :)

Shadowblind
August 20th, 2009, 23:48
I don't get it?

It has awesomeness.

pibs
August 21st, 2009, 10:46
Lets play some Jet Grind Radio.

That game deserves a next gen sequel, Future didn't do it for me.

And what's with Sony, removing the ability to install another OS, and dropping BC completely... The Slim just seems to be taking steps back.

Triv1um
August 21st, 2009, 11:20
BC has been dropped for ages.

PS3 Linux sucks.

DPyro
August 21st, 2009, 16:39

And what's with Sony, removing the ability to install another OS, and dropping BC completely... The Slim just seems to be taking steps back.

The slim is meant for the peasants who bitched about the price.

jamotto
August 21st, 2009, 18:47
PS3 Linux sucks.

Yellow dog yes quite terrible, anyone serious about running Linux on the PS3 is running psubuntu.

Eviltaco64
August 21st, 2009, 20:55

Future was alright. It was from that twilight period about 1-2 years after they discontinued Dreamcast when they still made mostly good games. :P

PS3 Slim is a good idea, though. Sony doesn't seem to be doing so great and a slimmed down PS3 priced at $299 could be just what they need to turn a profit.

Malksta
August 21st, 2009, 21:18
PS3 slim is just really PS3 smaller, but I want one very much :>

Triv1um
August 29th, 2009, 14:56
Yellow dog yes quite terrible, anyone serious about running Linux on the PS3 is running psubuntu.

I ran a normal PPC version of ubuntu on my PS3, took ages to get the wifi working and even then it ran like shit.

No-one is missing much by them pulling it out.

Eviltaco64
August 29th, 2009, 15:00
I ran a normal PPC version of ubuntu on my PS3, took ages to get the wifi working and even then it ran like shit.

I'd use PS3 Linux to test out some emulators. I don't really know what else I'd use it for.

jamotto
August 29th, 2009, 17:40

Took me about an 1 hour to set everything up using the tutorials on the site. Managed to get Mame, dosbox, nes and snes running without any problems. The tips on how to speed up ubuntu payed of quite well too. As an added bonus you can run the Opera web browser which is much better than the built in web browser.