PDA

View Full Version : Super FamiCast V2

DCEmu_Newsposter
May 18th, 2004, 16:11
Don't know how we missed this and let Dr. Zoidberg beat us to the punch over at DCEmulation, but Scherzo has released his much anticipated update of Super FamiCast. You can download the emulator from SuperFamicast.com (http://www.superfamicast.com/).Here is what Scherzo has to say about this release:[br] [b]5/16/2004 Version 2[br][br]This is an exciting, disappointing, and hopeful release. It's exciting because Marcus Comstedt and the DreamSNES team did a wonderful thing and decided to let me use their 65c816 CPU core written in SH4 assembler. Before I go on any further, a huge public thanks to them![br][br]This release is slightly disappointing because the new CPU did not produce the kind of speed increase some might have expected. Also, this CPU core does not seem to work if you disable the SNES sound CPU. So disabling the sound simply prevents the sound from being rendered, but doesn't not disable the emulation of the sound chip. Actually, I believe performance with sound disabled has decreased since the last release. This doesn't concern me too much since the goal is full speed emulation with sound.[br][br]So with that in mind, this is a hopeful release since emulation with sound has improved and some games are playable with sound. Also, the code given to us by the DreamSNES team provides valuable insight as to how other parts of the original snes9x code can be rewritten in assembler.[br][br]Heres a small list of other changes to look for in this release:[br][br] Mouse support[br] Ability to enable/disable the various background and sprite layers[br] Sound is now syncronized with action[br] Sound quality can be turned up and down[br]

Christuserloeser
May 18th, 2004, 20:04
All out playin *;D

+ lots more options than DSNES
+ better sound than DSNES (thx nakamichi)
+ perfect menu system
+ sound in sync
+ great compatbility
+ open source
+ team spirit

= SuperFamicast

wraggster
May 18th, 2004, 20:20
anyone got any cool screenshots or even better a review(make it a long un and ill add it tonight)

also we need an sbi version too

curt_grymala
May 18th, 2004, 20:29
i will work on the sbi version in a few. can't test it, but i'm sure somebody else can try it for me.

WaCk0
May 18th, 2004, 20:57
I'll get some screenshots :)
hold on...

EDIT:
just uploaded the screenshots, zipped, both 320x240 and 640x480 resolution.
http://www.freewebs.com/wack0/SFCv2.zip (save as...)

curt_grymala
May 18th, 2004, 21:09
Well - the SBI is 3 megabytes, so it's gonna be a while before it gets up to my server.

curt_grymala
May 18th, 2004, 21:31
SBI is available now. Click below to get it.

SuperFamv2_CG.sbi (http://homebrew.dcemulation.com/genesis/web_pages/Sbi/Files/SuperFamv2_CG.sbi)

wraggster
May 18th, 2004, 22:11

jusabout to update page and post :)

DemoniusX
May 19th, 2004, 08:00
this is a pretty damn good release. games have a decent speed, sound IS better than Dsnes IMO. I am pretty impressed with this release and it it can only get better.

Christuserloeser
May 21st, 2004, 00:49
I really like the new release! I see why you are dissapointed, Scherzo, but I'd like to say that everything I've had expected from a new release of SuperFamicast actually is there. Everyone had that feeling that implementing the SH4 core for the (weak) 3,58MHz 8Bit SNES CPU would not make this release full speed. But as speed with sound turned on already has improved there will be more improvements with further versions of SuperFamicast as there still is enuff room inside optimizing the code or porting parts of it to SH4 as you've said.

@Wraggster: I'll start writing a review of SuperFamicast for DCEmu as soon as I find some time.

wraggster
May 21st, 2004, 01:05
thanks Christuserloeser