PDA

View Full Version : GlobalFun: "The J2ME games market is still important"

wraggster
August 21st, 2009, 15:42
CEO Marcus Johansson explains why his firm isn't ditching Java for smartphones just yet.
The last year has seen hundreds of independent mobile games developers - not to mention some mid-tier publishers - abandoning Java in favour of iPhone. It's a veritable brain drain.

GlobalFun isn't one of them. The company continues to sell J2ME titles around the world, and earlier this week signed an exclusive deal to develop and distribute Java games in EMEA based on Turner Broadcasting's brands.

"GlobalFun sees the J2ME market as being important moving forward," CEO Marcus Johansson tells ME.

"From a volume perspective there are still a lot of new handsets being produced and shipped where J2ME is the main platform for games. We believe that there is a great deal of business to be made on the J2ME platform for several years to come."

The Turner deal is pretty big for GlobalFun, although it's been working with the broadcaster for several years on a non-exclusive basis, making games based on Cartoon Network brands.

"Signing this three year agreement takes the relationship to the next level," says Johansson. "It gives us the possibility do define and execute more long-term road maps and to work even closer together with Turner to create joint marketing activities."

The deal includes a non-exclusive option for non-J2ME mobile platforms - presumably iPhone, Android, Symbian and so on. How will this work - will GlobalFun have first dibs on porting the Java games to those platforms?

"Over the contract range of three years it is important for GlobalFun to have the possibility of addressing the platforms that drives sales," says Johansson. "We will work in close co-operation with Turner to evaluate what properties and platforms to work with."

It seems it's too early to say. However, GlobalFun IS looking to iPhone with its own stable of games, although Johansson admits the competition on the App Store is ferocious.

"GlobalFun is carefully selecting the titles to take to the iPhone and our first games are about to start launching shortly," he says, while pointing out that the publisher is also supporting BlackBerry.

"Android has from my point of view a great chance of becoming one of the most important platforms a bit further down the line," says Johansson. "GlobalFun is looking at the right timing to enter this platform."

The company is also ramping up its activities in Europe and North America, to complement its existing strength in Latin America.

http://www.mobile-ent.biz/news/34105/GlobalFun-The-J2ME-games-market-is-still-important