PDA

View Full Version : Gamecube Homebrew Breakthrough

wraggster
June 2nd, 2004, 21:41
News posted on my Gamecube Site http://pdcovers.netfirms.com/

MAX Drive Pro is the ultimate solution for the homebrew GameCube programmer.

At last you can transfer data between your GameCube and PC…quickly and easily!

The system consists of 3 components – the MAX Drive Pro cartridge, USB cable and the Loader Disc.

The MAX Drive Pro cartridge is an 8MB (64 Megabit) memory card for GameCube with a built-in high speed USB port. Using the supplied USB cable, files can be easily transferred between the card and any USB-enabled PC.

The Loader Disc boots on any GameCube from any region, and loads files from the MAX Drive Pro cartridge. Files are displayed in a simple file structure and any executable files are pre-loaded and run.

· Massive 8MB/64Mb GameCube memory card with built-in high speed USB port (USB cable supplied)
· Over 1000 blocks of game save data - 16 times the size of a standard GameCube memory card
· Run executable files on a GameCube
· A must have for the homebrew GameCube programmer
· Simply drag and drop PC files onto the MAX Drive Pro cartridge
· Works on any GameCube from any region

Max Drive PRO will be available during June 2004 , it is expected to retail at $39.99 in the USA market and £29.99 in the Uk.

could this be the breakthrough??

tyrell
June 2nd, 2004, 22:11
But what about burning homebrew softs and playing them on the GC ?

wraggster
June 2nd, 2004, 22:23
i think you will use a mega sized memory card but until its released i dont know

bloodyskies
June 2nd, 2004, 23:49
Wow, this could open up a whole big can of worms for Nintendo. If it hooks up to USB and enables executable code to be written, might it be not eventually be possible to hook it up to a standard PC CD/DVD drive while it's plugged into the memory port so software (homebrew or otherwise) can be booted, in a similar, but altogether more userfriendly way than the PSO/BBA hack?

I remember a while ago Lik-Sang was selling a device that enabled N64 roms to be booted from a bolt on CD drive, is this the next logical/inevitable step for the GC? If so, great news for the homebrew community, but potentially pretty bad for Nintendo.

wraggster
June 2nd, 2004, 23:55
i think maybe homebrew only for this news, ive emailed the makers of it to find out more info, will keep you posted.:)

Christuserloeser
June 3rd, 2004, 00:21
8) Great news

touches his gamecube

Chris

Vorrtexx
June 3rd, 2004, 02:05
Sounds like an interesting device. I guess the only limitation is the 8mb storage space.

WHurricane16
June 3rd, 2004, 03:16
Wow, this could open up a whole big can of worms for Nintendo. If it hooks up to USB and enables executable code to be written, might it be not eventually be possible to hook it up to a standard PC CD/DVD drive while it's plugged into the memory port so software (homebrew or otherwise) can be booted, in a similar, but altogether more userfriendly way than the PSO/BBA hack?

I remember a while ago Lik-Sang was selling a device that enabled N64 roms to be booted from a bolt on CD drive, is this the next logical/inevitable step for the GC? If so, great news for the homebrew community, but potentially pretty bad for Nintendo.

I don't think the impact for negative actions will be great because:

1. The Gamecube warez scene has no impact already.

2. No one will go through the hassle of hooking an external USB CD-Rom unit to the 'Cube unless they are a hardcore warezer. Dumbasses who can afford to do this will more likely buy games (we hope).
3. No one owns a Gamecube.

lantus
June 3rd, 2004, 03:29
sounds good, ill be buying one

The_Fallen_One
June 3rd, 2004, 04:41
3. No one owns a Gamecube.

I own one. ;) It has some pretty damn good games on it, if you can get through the pile of crap. ;)

Vorrtexx
June 3rd, 2004, 15:00
I have one too. I love the games on it. Was always a fan of the quality games Nintendo made.
I have been thinking about doing some dev stuff on the GC but in the end I have decided not to for now. The reason being that very few people would actually have the chance to play the stuff. People would need to go to the hassle of using the PSO BBA hack to load the stuff and I'm sure the majority of people are not going to do that. Nintendo done a pretty good job stopping piracy, maybe future consoles may implement something similar.

Odb718
August 16th, 2004, 04:12
2. *No one will go through the hassle of hooking an external USB CD-Rom unit to the 'Cube unless they are a hardcore warezer. *Dumbasses who can afford to do this will more likely buy games (we hope).

I have an external usb dvd burner for my xbox really. but if I could hook it up and find some way to try and run hacked versions of Metroid Prime or even emulators I'd be down for that. Hell I think this would help attract some guys from the xbox scene to the gamecube. Most of them can stand the PSO loading to develope for it. But if you could run an executable you could make a dashboard and all types of stuff.

Cap'n 1time
August 16th, 2004, 07:00
this is good news for the gc linux people probably since it has become even easier.

with an xbox you dont need a usb drive.. you can just set a regular old drive on top of your xbox - i have a cd burner.

Hola
August 16th, 2004, 10:04
This is gonna be really nice to have.

Reppa
October 18th, 2004, 05:20
After some questions with code junkies and different people, he appears :

1 - Max drive pro only work with starcube loader beta 1.0 : --> cause this the only loader who initialize the bba

Other loader don't do this, you must use a dol to initialize bba, but the questions is after initialization, how to launch anoter dol, I hope reset button, don't kill initialization of the bba

2 - Only 8MB on the memory card, so for linux it's too small if you want to put entire linux system it's hard, but *just the dol that can work

3 - Nes game work cause is in dol

So be patient since june i'm waiting for, i hope for christmass i will have max drive pro on my box letter

4 - We can't stream with the usb port, you can't connect an usb hard drive and dvd-rom

Just put a dol and it's all

Zaneblade
December 30th, 2004, 03:10
this mean we could be downloading games onto that stick and play?

Cap'n 1time
December 30th, 2004, 09:12
WHAT IS IT WITH YOU NEW PEOPLE REVIVING OLD POSTS! >:(

Its not very big but it will be great for homebrew projects, suchs as lantus's snes9x port.