PDA

View Full Version : Hirai: PS2 broke mainstream barrier, not Wii

wraggster
August 25th, 2009, 17:34
It's the general consensus that Wii was the console that opened up gaming to a whole new audience of mainstream gaming with its friendly Remote and cooking sims. But PlayStation boss Kazuo Hirai disagrees.

"It's a very astute observation, but it doesn't take in history," said Hirai. "The most successful console is still the PS2 and it's still going strong.

"I think that's the console that really broke the barrier from video games being just for video gamers into more of a mass market on a global basis. Nintendo's obviously done a great job in following that mass acceptance," Hirai told Times Online.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=222028?cid=OTC-RSS&attr=CVG-General-RSS

kojiro7
August 25th, 2009, 20:43
tell mr hirai that without the help of the mass piracy,ps1 and ps2 would be what ps3 is now,3rd place
i hate people who dont admit real facts
and ps2 is not strong anymore with crap ghostbusters,kamen raider and gijoe shit

WhizzBang
August 25th, 2009, 20:52
How on earth can piracy help the Playstation? How has it helped Wii or 360?

kojiro7
August 25th, 2009, 21:09
excuse me,do you live in space maybe?
piracy boosts sales because people dont buy 1 game for 75euro but for 5euro,is it so difficult to understand?most people cant afford to buy a game for such money and if its crap it pains too much
why xbox360 outsell ps3?because of piracy ofcourse
wii has piracy too but it also has innovation so it double helped it

Eviltaco64
August 25th, 2009, 23:50
piracy boosts sales because people dont buy 1 game for 75euro but for 5euro,is it so difficult to understand?most people cant afford to buy a game for such money and if its crap it pains too much

If piracy was the only reason that consoles sold well, then why do you see games selling millions? Surely, they wouldn't count pirate copies. ;)

Also, you're right. You can play burnt copies of games on an Xbox 360. However, doing so may get you banned from Live. :P

Outside the countries where video game piracy is large, consoles sell because they're either a.) popular, b.) popular with friends, or c.) both.

kojiro7
August 26th, 2009, 00:30
if a game sold 1 million in original copy,can you imagine how many pirate copies been sold?of course there are people who buy originals but they are the minority in this world,thats what i want you to understand.the majority of gamers go to piracy for economic reasons.for example i will never pay 75euro for a ps3 game when i can have the same game for xbox or pc for 5 euro or for free.that means what?i wont buy the ps3.simple
the majority of xbox live gamers are americans by the way,in most other countries dont care or cant play online

Eviltaco64
August 26th, 2009, 09:06
if a game sold 1 million in original copy,can you imagine how many pirate copies been sold?of course there are people who buy originals but they are the minority in this world,thats what i want you to understand.the majority of gamers go to piracy for economic reasons.for example i will never pay 75euro for a ps3 game when i can have the same game for xbox or pc for 5 euro or for free.that means what?i wont buy the ps3.simple
the majority of xbox live gamers are americans by the way,in most other countries dont care or cant play online

Fake copies sell well in countries/areas where pirates provide most of the software. Still, it isn't that big of a market compared to the market that the game companies are actually focusing on.

Also, piracy isn't profitable for the company at all. All you're doing is making some pirate richer (if you're paying at least). If anything, you're doing more harm to the company.

kojiro7
August 26th, 2009, 13:03
you are a moderator of a video games site and either you hide or you dont know the truth.i cant say anything more

Malksta
August 27th, 2009, 21:17

because you are dumb and stating untrue facts.

PS3 was always selling more than 360, even then and now, and will sell even more with the nice little $100 price reduction they have..

kojiro7
August 27th, 2009, 21:35
because you are dumb and stating untrue facts.

PS3 was always selling more than 360, even then and now, and will sell even more with the nice little $100 price reduction they have..

olo malakies les malaka kiprie,pou mono to public kai to eshop exeis gia na psonizeis paixnidia

Malksta
August 27th, 2009, 21:56
olo malakies les malaka kiprie,pou mono to public kai to eshop exeis gia na psonizeis paixnidia

malakies leo? kita, vlaka: http://www.smgamers.com/?p=948

perimeno to response sou :)

kojiro7
August 27th, 2009, 22:17
malakies leo? kita, vlaka: http://www.smgamers.com/?p=948

perimeno to response sou :)

perimene prokopi me ta ilithia site sou kai to ps3 sou blaka leme.lemeseos eisai h leukosiatis?

Malksta
August 27th, 2009, 22:28
perimene prokopi me ta ilithia site sou kai to ps3 sou blaka leme.lemeseos eisai h leukosiatis?

ilithio site mou? re malaka, afta enai official data apo Sony kai Microsoft, ti den katalavis?

kai exo 360 vlaka

kojiro7
August 27th, 2009, 22:46
ilithio site mou? re malaka, afta enai official data apo Sony kai Microsoft, ti den katalavis?

kai exo 360 vlaka

eisai geloios kiprie,na pas na pnigeis.exo doulepsei sto mymall kai sto the mall of cyprus,mono guitar hero kserete na paizete,de poulage tipote allo

Malksta
August 27th, 2009, 22:53
eisai geloios kiprie,na pas na pnigeis.exo doulepsei sto mymall kai sto the mall of cyprus,mono guitar hero kserete na paizete,de poulage tipote allo

http://img233.imageshack.us/img233/97/dsc01277z.jpg

nai, mono guitar hero pezo :)

tipota alo?

kojiro7
August 27th, 2009, 22:55
re koroido original ta pairneis??po pooooooo krima ta fragka...

Malksta
August 27th, 2009, 22:58
Translation for non-Greek speakers: kojiro7 is one of the dumbest people you will ever meet.

kojiro7
August 27th, 2009, 23:01
Translation for non-Greek speakers: kojiro7 is one of the dumbest people you will ever meet.

**** you piece of shit Malksta,you are just a sucker

Malksta
August 27th, 2009, 23:03
**** you piece of shit Malksta,you are just a sucker

a sucker? be more clear, idiot.

kojiro7
August 27th, 2009, 23:07
a sucker? be more clear, idiot.

re go and enjoy your expensive games ps3 fanboy,hahaha fool

Malksta
August 27th, 2009, 23:10
re go and enjoy your expensive games ps3 fanboy,hahaha fool

man, you really, REALLY, dumb. if anything, pirate for PC you dumb shit, much nicer graphics and much smoother gameplay, you are seriously trying to show off downloading Xbox 360 games?

anywho, you are already proved wrong on all your statements, if you want to continue talking like an idiot, speak over PM.

Eviltaco64
August 28th, 2009, 04:15
you are a moderator of a video games site and either you hide or you dont know the truth.i cant say anything more

What? I don't hide anything. I stated my honest opinion.

I do know for a fact that a video game company makes a lot less money off one copy bought to be pirated to the masses than it does on commercial sales. This does indeed harm a game company.

Why don't you give me some facts to back up your argument, instead? :P

kojiro7
August 28th, 2009, 13:57
What? I don't hide anything. I stated my honest opinion.

I do know for a fact that a video game company makes a lot less money off one copy bought to be pirated to the masses than it does on commercial sales. This does indeed harm a game company.

Why don't you give me some facts to back up your argument, instead? :P

ps1,ps2 were top selling right?
why ps3 doesnt follow this tradition?why xbox 360 sold more?
because they offer piracy to the masses,modchip and go
this is the unofficial truth,people who deny it are idiots.
i am tired of this conversation,you are free to believe anything you like

Eviltaco64
August 28th, 2009, 18:32
ps1,ps2 were top selling right?
why ps3 doesnt follow this tradition?why xbox 360 sold more?
because they offer piracy to the masses,modchip and go
this is the unofficial truth,people who deny it are idiots.
i am tired of this conversation,you are free to believe anything you like

The PS1 got its foot in the door in a time when Sega didnt have much software available for the Saturn and Nintendo was still fully behind the SNES. They looked to new publishers and developers and success followed. It wasn't piracy that made it successful, but the large variety of more adult games.

The PS2 was a cheap DVD player and also sold well due to the large success of the PS1.

The PS3's main problem originally was that it was too expensive. The thing was a beast, but the casual market didn't buy in. Also, Microsoft had the 360 out a year early with more exclusives and a bigger community.

I know several, and I mean SEVERAL people who own either PS1 or PS2 (a lot of them both) and didn't even know piracy and homebrew were possible. The same goes for a lot of 360 owners I know.

Just because you don't want to support developers "because it's too expensive" doesn't mean that's the core reason that consoles fail.

On a side note, the Dreamcast had piracy during it's lifespan and that definitely helped in killing it. Take note that this is also a case where piracy is as easy as burning a disc (instead of installing a modchip or even softmodding). In fact, the easier pirating is, the worse it is for a console maker.

But I feel like I'm going nowhere here. I'm the idiot because I actually buy games and provide them more money for sequels and other projects. Silly me (and all the other millions). :rolleyes:

EDIT: One more thing. If I really was a "moderator hiding my opinion", I would've done the typical thing and gave you an infraction for promoting piracy and insulting both members and staff. :P

kojiro7
August 28th, 2009, 22:07
The PS1 got its foot in the door in a time when Sega didnt have much software available for the Saturn and Nintendo was still fully behind the SNES. They looked to new publishers and developers and success followed. It wasn't piracy that made it successful, but the large variety of more adult games.

The PS2 was a cheap DVD player and also sold well due to the large success of the PS1.

The PS3's main problem originally was that it was too expensive. The thing was a beast, but the casual market didn't buy in. Also, Microsoft had the 360 out a year early with more exclusives and a bigger community.

I know several, and I mean SEVERAL people who own either PS1 or PS2 (a lot of them both) and didn't even know piracy and homebrew were possible. The same goes for a lot of 360 owners I know.

Just because you don't want to support developers "because it's too expensive" doesn't mean that's the core reason that consoles fail.

On a side note, the Dreamcast had piracy during it's lifespan and that definitely helped in killing it. Take note that this is also a case where piracy is as easy as burning a disc (instead of installing a modchip or even softmodding). In fact, the easier pirating is, the worse it is for a console maker.

But I feel like I'm going nowhere here. I'm the idiot because I actually buy games and provide them more money for sequels and other projects. Silly me (and all the other millions). :rolleyes:

EDIT: One more thing. If I really was a "moderator hiding my opinion", I would've done the typical thing and gave you an infraction for promoting piracy and insulting both members and staff. :P

about dreamcast:piracy didnt kill it.people didnt trust sega anymore since megacd and 32x failures,so saturn and dreamcast were the tragic heroes.playstation had established its name for easy and cheap mass gaming to the people,all companies working on it.i am not promoting piracy,i am not a pirate.if companies sold the games at a reasonable price piracy wouldnt exist.but companies are greedy and dont worry they survive very good thanks to japanese people and other rich boys in the world.also without piracy gta for example it would never be so popular in the world,it would be only for few.
you can ban me if you like,i dont care,i wont change my opinion

Eviltaco64
August 29th, 2009, 04:45
about dreamcast:piracy didnt kill it.people didnt trust sega anymore since megacd and 32x failures,so saturn and dreamcast were the tragic heroes.playstation had established its name for easy and cheap mass gaming to the people,all companies working on it.i am not promoting piracy,i am not a pirate.if companies sold the games at a reasonable price piracy wouldnt exist.but companies are greedy and dont worry they survive very good thanks to japanese people and other rich boys in the world.also without piracy gta for example it would never be so popular in the world,it would be only for few.
you can ban me if you like,i dont care,i wont change my opinion

Dreamcast unfortunately died for a few reasons, but piracy was indeed one of them.

Piracy would still exist even if games were sold new at $10. That's why people still download games you can get at your local Gamestop for $7.99. :P

GTA sold millions of legal copies, btw.

I'm not banning you, either (provided you don't start posting warez :P).