PDA

View Full Version : Seemingly solid PSP-4000 rumors give new hope for UMD fans

wraggster
August 26th, 2009, 15:29
Put away black mourning clothes, PSP owners, there's life yet in them thar UMDs. When the PSP Go was announced it seemed like there was little time left for the plucky (and generally disliked) format, and indications that Sony had planned to ditch it "since the very beginning" were further nails in its apparent coffin. But now, according to a particularly reliable tipster (who accurately predicted the PS3 Slim in June, right down to the inclusion of proper buttons), there's a PSP-4000 inbound that will still sport a UMD drive. According to the tip this new machine will live along-side the Go, but little is known beyond that... other than it's apparently "nothing to actually get excited about." Tell that to the kids with the Lumines discs rattling away in the spokes of their bicycles.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/26/seemingly-solid-psp-4000-rumors-give-new-hope-for-umd-fans/

ojdon
August 26th, 2009, 16:33
Why though? Surely this wouldn't sell any good, or are Sony already having doubts with the PSP-Go. =\

wraggster
August 26th, 2009, 16:36
for me i would much rather have an enhanced version of the PSP as it is than some PSP i have to buy digital only content for it

for newcomers though maybe the PSPgo would be a better option ?

apex05
August 26th, 2009, 17:19
They might want to add some of the hardware from the Psp go because in the end it could work out cheaper to produce just 1 set of components, and if that makes it smaller and lighter then all the better for us.

wraggster
August 26th, 2009, 17:53
yeah built in hard drive instead of mem cards might be interesting

AdamRav
August 26th, 2009, 21:22
PSP Go = Ipod touch alternative with the mini games and so on

PSP 4000 = Back to basics psp, not to say it won't have new features (2nd analog stick)

juiceface
August 26th, 2009, 23:18
getting to confusing, happy with my phat.

Shadowblind
August 27th, 2009, 01:03
There are UMD fans out there?

Paris/Tokyo
August 27th, 2009, 03:09
Actually, I do prefer keeping physical archives of my games, in case my flash storage fails or runs out of space. But I'm not a fan of actually playing games from UMD.

Exophase
August 27th, 2009, 03:10
Yeah Sony, release yet another PSP. Sounds like a good idea.

Just because Nintendo gets away with it doesn't mean you can too.

Paris/Tokyo
August 27th, 2009, 03:54
I doubt this PSP will be a noticeable improvement over the 3000. If anything, the update will probably make it cheaper to manufacture, or more secure against exploits. It's not like another PSP SKU will suddenly leave my PSP-1000 inoperable. Makes perfect sense to me (or at least more sense than PSP Go).

Stone Temple Pilots
August 28th, 2009, 19:10
I still prefer the PSPgo. It's sexy. Now about that launch price...