PDA

View Full Version : new 2.6 Donwgrader?

N64DUDE
May 3rd, 2006, 21:02
What do you think of envisions downgrader at pspcrazy? it supposably downgrades v2.6 psp's. do you think it will be real or fake? He said it would be released on the 25th of april and no one has heard anything from it since. what do you think?

I also have a idea about making a downgrader. Dont laugh!
if gta lcs runs in 2.0 mode, could there be a way (mabye fanjita's loader) to access the tiff exploit (while the games running or in the e-loader) so we could then use the MPH downgrader? just a idea.

another idea.. could the tiff overflow be converted to a eboot? and would that work if it could be converted.

Just a few idea's i thought of today.

Cooe14
May 3rd, 2006, 21:06
When you are using the GTA exploit on a 2.6 it is not using the tiff exploit so there is no way your idea is going to work.

N64DUDE
May 3rd, 2006, 21:08
i know it doesnt use the tiff expolit.. but does it run in 2.0 mode?

metalspector
May 3rd, 2006, 22:03
Even though I don't know about downgrading my friend who upgraded to 2.7 like 4 days ago started working on a exploit he found on the RSS , 2 days ago he showed me that he with his 2.7 psp went to the RSS thing ( his house has wi-fi ) and loaded from there an e-loader , he doesn't want to give me the files or post them on the internet cause he says that he worked gard for it and don't want anybody else to have it. Anyways it sucks if you have to be on a wi-fi hotspot to play it.

N64DUDE
May 3rd, 2006, 22:29
tell your freind to show us the files. anyone who says they have made something and wont release it makes it fake. cant see how that helps the downgrading problem either........

mooney
May 3rd, 2006, 22:32
is there a 2.6 downgrader

BrooksyX
May 3rd, 2006, 22:33
hey metalspector,
you are pretty funny.
"yeah my freind found some sweet exploit but doesnt want to release because he just he doesnt want to"
(pretty much what you just said translates to)

go spam somewhere else!

mooney
May 3rd, 2006, 22:34
bigmace do you know of a 2.60 downgrader

N64DUDE
May 3rd, 2006, 22:37
Has anyone evem looked at the downgrader at psp crazy yet!? Lol !

BrooksyX
May 3rd, 2006, 23:03
bigmace do you know of a 2.60 downgrader

heard of it but havnt looked into it because 1.I have a 1.5 psp so it does not concern me 2. there have been so many BS downgraders that i kind of just shrug them off unless they get a lot of attention.

Accordion
stop trying please
when
no if it happens you will know
it will be big big news
stop asking
this forum is for if you have ideas or help to give!

IndianCheese
I have. Seems too random. I could have thought of that. I pretty much know as much as possible about the PSP without being a coder. My idea for a downgrader is this:

You know how iR Shell lets you do a "system pause" when playing a UMD game or homebrew by pressing L+SELECT while in-game? Remember that. Now think about this: The PSP will not boot updates that are modified. The keyword there? Boot. You would need two memory sticks or a memory stick reader for your computer. You would also need a copy of the 2.70 update and a copy of the 2.70 update with the DATA.PSAR from the 1.50 update. Run a program like iR Shell. Through that, run the 2.70 update. When you get to the "Do not remove mem stick blah blah blah" screen, do a system pause (because the update detects when the Memory Stick is removed if it is free to detect. But if it is frozen by a program (iR Shell), it will not.) Insert a memory stick with the 2.70 update that has the DATA.PSAR from the 1.50 update AND iR Shell. Unfreeze the PSP. The screen will be where it was left, but now, the PSP will continue reading from ms0:\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\EBOOT.PBP\DATA.PSAR, which is the 1.50 update file. The PSP will think it is installing 2.70, but is reading from DATA.PSAR of 1.50, and installing 1.50 files. The PSP will perform a checksum of the files at the end of the update and detect that they are not 2.70 files. It will give an error, ask to reset settings (because they contain setting data from the version you were at for features not available in 1.50), and be downgraded.

The only problem is that PSPs that need downgraded cannot run homebrew (iR Shell), and if you can run homebrew, there is no reason to downgrade. Just a logic issue I thought I would bring up.

BrooksyX
May 3rd, 2006, 23:11
thats actually a pretty good idea. I am sure there is some application that could be made for eloader that would work.(maybe not)

bobcobb
May 4th, 2006, 02:00
I have. Seems too random. I could have thought of that. I pretty much know as much as possible about the PSP without being a coder. My idea for a downgrader is this:

You know how iR Shell lets you do a "system pause" when playing a UMD game or homebrew by pressing L+SELECT while in-game? Remember that. Now think about this: The PSP will not boot updates that are modified. The keyword there? Boot. You would need two memory sticks or a memory stick reader for your computer. You would also need a copy of the 2.70 update and a copy of the 2.70 update with the DATA.PSAR from the 1.50 update. Run a program like iR Shell. Through that, run the 2.70 update. When you get to the "Do not remove mem stick blah blah blah" screen, do a system pause (because the update detects when the Memory Stick is removed if it is free to detect. But if it is frozen by a program (iR Shell), it will not.) Insert a memory stick with the 2.70 update that has the DATA.PSAR from the 1.50 update AND iR Shell. Unfreeze the PSP. The screen will be where it was left, but now, the PSP will continue reading from ms0:\PSP\GAME\UPDATE\EBOOT.PBP\DATA.PSAR, which is the 1.50 update file. The PSP will think it is installing 2.70, but is reading from DATA.PSAR of 1.50, and installing 1.50 files. The PSP will perform a checksum of the files at the end of the update and detect that they are not 2.70 files. It will give an error, ask to reset settings (because they contain setting data from the version you were at for features not available in 1.50), and be downgraded.

The only problem is that PSPs that need downgraded cannot run homebrew (iR Shell), and if you can run homebrew, there is no reason to downgrade. Just a logic issue I thought I would bring up.

Well, personally I wouldn't mind being back on firmware 1.5, since with apps like UMDLoader you can play all the newer games. Can someone test this?

SnoopKatt
May 4th, 2006, 04:06

That is quite an idea, but it seems risky. It sounds like there might be a possible risk of screwing up the PSP software.

Gene
May 4th, 2006, 04:48
2 major problems with your theory.

1. the firmware updates probably have a different code they download from so it would probably just kill your psp when you press pause and put in the one with 1.5-brick'd

2. any psp v2.XX or higher does not allow anything to access it's flash drive basically you would not be able to update from a program without the proper sony authorization.

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 13:26
Great idea. Can IRshell work on v2.6 psp's though?

NoQuarter
May 4th, 2006, 13:56
Has anybody tried changing the version on a 2.xx psp to 1.0 then running a 1.5 update?

Inu268
May 4th, 2006, 15:41
Has anybody tried changing the version on a 2.xx psp to 1.0 then running a 1.5 update?
-_- if there isn't a downgrader to 1.5, what makes you think there is one for 1.0?

Accordion
May 4th, 2006, 18:11
Inu268

what he means is use a program like pspsetx to change your version number to 1.0(just change the number not the actual firmware, duh) and than run the update for 1.5 as normal

im am on 1.5 so i dont know if PSPsetX works on 2.6 if that method works I have no idea if no one has thought of it till now

it will probably bbrick it though, when downgrading 2.0 it bugs at the end because of the files, the higher the version number the more files, so i guess the bigger the bug, and then dead psp

IRshell does not work above 1.5 it uses prx files kernal only

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 20:08
Im gonna try your idea now accordian boy. Its worth the risk. Then if that doesnt work im going to try Indiancheese's idea. Dont know if that program works on v2.6 psp though.

Accordion
May 4th, 2006, 20:51
nooooooooooooo
it wasnt an idea
if it was that simple every one would already be on 1.5
dont do it
if it bricks dont you dare blame me
dont do it unless you sign a contract completely removing my influence
noooooooooooooooo

if it does work(it shouldnt) i will happily take any praise however

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 20:55
PSPsetx just said wrong psp version when i booted it.

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 21:47
I have a new idea on downgrading. If you look on a few psp websites, a few people are claiming that a v3.0 update is availible on torrent sites. This update a few people have confirmed just changes your psp version to 3.0 but actually the psp is v2.6.

Could whoever created that make a update which changed the verion to 1.0 so we could then update to 1.5?

adgjm
May 4th, 2006, 23:13
you know guys, if there's an "updater" to 3.0 and has the same effect of 2.6, why can't they do the same to a 1.5 firmware but making it look like a 2.8 firmware (I wanna still be able to update to 3.0 firmware)

IndianCheese
May 4th, 2006, 23:18
Great idea. Can IRshell work on v2.6 psp's though?

No. That is my problem; if someone could build a program like iR Shell that can freeze EBOOT.PBP files, it would work. But, also, iR Shell only detects homebrew folders with a % in it, and the update only works if it is in the UPDATE folder. So some modifications to it would definately be necessary.

Also, who wants to risk downgrading from 1.50 to 1.50? That is the only thing my idea is good for until someone builds the program described above.

[sigh] I get so angry knowing that the answer is right at our fingertips, hidden within the update. Hopefully, something will appear.

V3N0M
May 4th, 2006, 23:48
If an downgrader is successfuly made it could make it so we could get the best of both worlds or just brick all of are psp's lol i think it is better to stick to 1.5 for those who have it. and just figure a way to run games with 2.6 on 1.5 without having to use a iso like a umd loader to get 2.6 to run on 1.5.

BALL_SAC
May 4th, 2006, 23:52
I think that Envisions downgrader is fake... he said he would release it on April 25th... today is may 4th, and still no downgrader. This leaves me to conclude... FAKE!!!!!!

Shadowblind
May 5th, 2006, 00:02
huh. a regular psdonkey.

anyway, will there ever be a 2.7 hack for 1.5?

F9zDark
May 7th, 2006, 22:24
The only way to find a downgrader option is to discover a means of getting homebrew to work on the higher firmware PSP.

I have said this since the beginning, way back when homebrew graced 1.50 and then later graced 2.0. The downgrader is a direct result of homebrew working, and thus is needed entirely to make the downgrade possible in the first place.

Hacking eboots will not work. Once the eboot is hacked, its AES signature and encryption is nullified and the PSP knows this. Swapping memsticks with 2 firmwares doesn't work either, the PSP knows the firmware is falsified after the swap (since AES encryption is null/doesn't match up/ect).

I think Sony put extra protections into the Update protocols to prevent screw ups which could brick PSPs.

Point is, discover homebrew for 2.70 and the downgrader will be possible.

BALL_SAC
May 8th, 2006, 19:25
The only way to find a downgrader option is to discover a means of getting homebrew to work on the higher firmware PSP.

I have said this since the beginning, way back when homebrew graced 1.50 and then later graced 2.0. The downgrader is a direct result of homebrew working, and thus is needed entirely to make the downgrade possible in the first place.

Hacking eboots will not work. Once the eboot is hacked, its AES signature and encryption is nullified and the PSP knows this. Swapping memsticks with 2 firmwares doesn't work either, the PSP knows the firmware is falsified after the swap (since AES encryption is null/doesn't match up/ect).

I think Sony put extra protections into the Update protocols to prevent screw ups which could brick PSPs.

Point is, discover homebrew for 2.70 and the downgrader will be possible.

We could have said the same thing about 2.01 when 2.50 was realeased. There probably will be no downgrader for a long time... I also hear that Envision admitted that the downgrader was indeed fake.

A_Username
May 8th, 2006, 22:24
I found this thing called "Docsdowngrader" for 2.01+ and you had to pay $5 for it PayPal, but some JERK just modded an eboot to brick your PSP, but luckily I was warned in time before I used it, I just might take this JERK to small claims court.

:)

F9zDark
May 9th, 2006, 05:22
Honestly bricking a PSP is not worth trying to downgrade.

The best options are:

If you have the extended warranty that most game stores offer, return the PSP for a lower firmware version.

Save up some cash and buy a 1.50 or a 2.00 PSP; or even look online for a JP 1.00 PSP.

I own 2 PSPs, 1.00, 1.50. And I have been debating whether or not I should buy another, just to use as the UMD gaming PSP. When PS3 comes out, I am gonna want a PSP to tool around with using the higher firmwares.

And be patient. I learned the hardway, I immediately updated my PSP upon getting it, because I had no clue of the homebrew scene. Sure enough, a few weeks after having updated to 1.51, homebrew came out. The 2.00 downgrader was no where in sight for the new few months.

I returned my PSP for dead pixels and got another under the extended warranty.

gangsta_psp
May 23rd, 2006, 14:22
If I had the money, I would purchase a used PSP from gamestop that had 2.00 and just update my 2.6 to 2.7. That way I can have a PSP downgraded to 1.5 and a PSP with the latest updates.I can enjoy my favorite UMDs and play any homebrew I wanted at the same time. Sadly I dont have enough money for another PSP.

DirtyDan92
May 24th, 2006, 01:01
Why would you want to buy two psp's? There is homebrew that will allow you to load updated UMD's. If I could downgrade my 2.01 or get a hold of a lower version, I would get rid of the other one (for $$$) and just use the 1.5 to load my UMD's. They actually have a firmware loader now, that you can use to temporarily upgrade. A friend of mine has it. He loads it up and voila he's in FW v2.5. Then he resets his psp and there he is back in FW v1.5. It's crazy but really freakin' awesome.

V3N0M
May 24th, 2006, 01:28
Why would you want to buy two psp's? There is homebrew that will allow you to load updated UMD's. If I could downgrade my 2.01 or get a hold of a lower version, I would get rid of the other one (for $$$) and just use the 1.5 to load my UMD's. They actually have a firmware loader now, that you can use to temporarily upgrade. A friend of mine has it. He loads it up and voila he's in FW v2.5. Then he resets his psp and there he is back in FW v1.5. It's crazy but really freakin' awesome.

No way do you have any proof of this? if so make a thread about it and email me the app so i can use it. Thats if what you say is true.

gunntims0103
May 24th, 2006, 02:44
i say sum coder should try to make a fireware downgrader through e-loader for 2.01 and above

Accordion
May 24th, 2006, 16:35
downgrader is pointless now, too outdated if everyone downgraded then say goodbye to psp(in the commercial world) we need a full exploit for new firmware. i have 1.5 at the moment, but i would even consider updating if sony enabled unsigned uuser mode eboots from the XMB, i know they will never enable full kernall access... precious UMDs

JmanUmmKay: MPH has had a firmware loader for ages, you convert an eboot to the file format via the app then the app can load the files, the psp resets and boots up in the new firmware, you cant run umds but you get the sony web browser and movie formats, by the way it only works up to 2.5 as the 2.6 and 2.7 have not been decrypted yet(i think)

F9zDark
May 25th, 2006, 19:18

First off, none of my friends have PSP, since it doesnt appeal to them, so having a second PSP(even though this isn't the reason why I bought a second PSP) allows me to play multiplayer homebrew with them when they stop by or when I goto their place.

Secondly, if Sony keeps going the way they are with homebrew and firmware upgrades, 1.0 and 1.5 will become rare enough to be worth 1000s of Dollars(so selling it now, is stupid as hell).

Thirdly, I work for my money, and can do what I want with it.

phatmike014
June 15th, 2006, 06:39
OK, I have been following the psp scene since "hello world" on psp 1.0, here are some points id like to bring up:

#1 psp 2.0+ no flash access at all. its like closing a door and stuffing the key under the crack at the bottom. so no app will work to downgrade the psp. the only reason that eloader works is because the psp is in
"user mode" which has no means to access flash or kernal.

#2 the virgin 2.5/2.6/etc.. psps have modified hardware preventing them from booting older firmwares and this has been confirmed. newer models are incapable of booting anything below what they were manufactured with. (thank sony) so if an exploit is found there will be ALOT of bricked psp's.

#3 i have partially booted eboots without exploits using pieces of the loco roco demo but they crash instantly. This is nothing new people have done it.
The only way to get homebrew on psp is to get it to work using genuine sony signatures.

#4 If you are so worried about emulators like i once was then get a gp2x i have one and it will run anything and do the same stuff as the psp will. it has great framerate and works for what it was designed to do RUN HOMBREW

#5 there will never be a software downgrader for psp because of "#1" The exploits have been patched and cemented to death so i doubt there will be any developments on it. Although there will be an modchip called "undiluted platinum" which is likely to fail because of "#2" on some consoles. Hardware mods will be the answer.

#6 dont lose precious time googling for a downgrader because this time there will not be one. firmware 2.0 was 99% secure so the newer firmware is like an iron wall with no doors or windows. just play the store games and deal with the fact that youve upgraded and thats the firmware you have.

Lastly, The reason sony released the updates was because of the following things:

-game pirates
-psp bricking (psp's dont grow on trees, when sony replaces one they lose money)
-people who say stuff like "**** sony! we hacked their shit!" (this is just asking for retaliation from them)
-The demand for better features on the console

The situation with the psp sucks and will not get much better for a while. wait for the hardware mods to come.

I hope this brings some clarification.

Mike

V3N0M
June 15th, 2006, 07:33
Ya i agree with you but where there is a will there is a way. I think that someday you'll be susprised about how good the devs's and hackers are when it comes to getting what they want homebrew for psp. Well anyways i'm never upgrading i'll probaly buy another psp in the future for updates and UMD's and PS3 compatibility. But anyways Gp2x is a great console almost bought one. But there wont be a N64 emu for it will there. Recently it seems that the psp is still better for homebrew because sony is making a PS1 emu,There are N64 emu's coming aloung nicely, Even NJ creator of Neo geo cd emu for psp is making a Neo Geo AES emu and found a way to fix the ram problem, Plus all other emulators with the exception of GBA(which will get better in time once someone finishes it) They all run perfect or near it. And when everythings done i think the PSP will prove to be the ultimate portable homebrew console even greator than Gp2x. (that was ment for homebrew)

jman420
June 15th, 2006, 09:04
I'm sure this has been said before, but.. the original 2.00 downgrader, which used a "tiff" exploit worked by accessing the cpu and running a program to read the flash, and re-writing it to tell it to run the 1.5 update EBOOT, the tiff exploit accualy worked because of a loophole in the tiff picture viewing code, the only reason it worked was because the psp would try to load a tiff picture, and read the code built into the file instead..

there is no longer a loophole in the code, it was accualy quite simple and easy for sony to fix it, just to add a few lines of code...

that is why the GTA exploit wont work for any tiff anything....

the only way that a downgrader could work would be if someone could access the flash files, and to re-write them how they wanted (to tell the psp to run the 1.5 eboot)...

and since the later firmwares wouldnt allow any debug code access, the system couldnt change the way it runs unsigned code...

I however havent yet figured out why someone cant change the 1.5 eboot to run.. it seems like if the 1.5 code within the eboot could be run, then the system would be able to compleetly re-write the flash with the 1.5 code...

now, let me ask, has anyone ever thought about taking code from a 2.7 eboot and using it within a 1.5 eboot to tell the system that it was signed code... why is it possible for everyone to program games and emulators.. but nobody has been able to edit the firmware updaters to be run as signed... if someone could just figure that out, any homebrew could be run on 2.01 all the way to 2.71...

phatmike014
June 15th, 2006, 18:30
At this point almost everything has been tried. and 99% of exploit possibilities have been exhausted. If you think you have an original idea then google it and see that it has been tried and has failed. Also, like i wrote earlier the new consoles have hardware which is incompatible with older firmware so any downgrades will have to be encrypted and also custom. Lastly i got the 1.5 update to boot on my 2.6 psp and it bricked it even though the update ran as it should. which further supports my what i said. the only available option is to recreate the dnas or encryption to make exploit free homebrew. I think that the newer firmware even on a psp-1001 or original psp will still brick after a downgrade attempt because of some crap sony put into the new firmware. I recently preordered the psp modchip and am looking forward to that instead of a band-aid or downgrader.

A_Username
June 17th, 2006, 22:44
Even though I don't know about downgrading my friend who upgraded to 2.7 like 4 days ago started working on a exploit he found on the RSS , 2 days ago he showed me that he with his 2.7 psp went to the RSS thing ( his house has wi-fi ) and loaded from there an e-loader , he doesn't want to give me the files or post them on the internet cause he says that he worked gard for it and don't want anybody else to have it. Anyways it sucks if you have to be on a wi-fi hotspot to play it.

Dude, I've heard this same scenario on like 5 other PSP forums it's like a CHAIN LETTER or something.

Kaiser
June 18th, 2006, 06:51
Closed