PDA

View Full Version : More N64 Emulators!

Zion
May 3rd, 2006, 23:42
After Daedalus's successfull port hopefully there will be more! An interesting one would be to port over Corn. Most of you will remember how fast it was on extremely slow PC's, imagine what it could do on a PSP!

Project 64 would be a great emulator to port as well. ;)

RedKing14CA
May 4th, 2006, 00:11
Theres no hope of porting project 64 you crazy man!!!! then again there wasnt any hope of home brew on 1.5 about ayear ago...

Well corn sounds good, But can you run corn with 8MB of RAM? post the requirements!

It's probably just as possible as daedalus's was...

Shilo
May 4th, 2006, 00:16
It should be possible to port one of the earlyer versions of PJ64

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 00:17
This is my post from Emutalk.net. Wonder if it is possible. It would solve the Ram issue.

StrmnNrmn & PSMonkey Collaboration?

Hi there StrmnNrmn And PSMonkey. First of all let me say how astounded i have been by the recent progress on both your emulators. Secondly let me say how much i (and many others) appreciate all the time and effort you both have put in your work.

What i would like to know is : Have you (StrmnNrmn) and PSMonkey officially joined forces to work on Daedalus and Monkey64? If you have that would be great. The future looks bright!

PS - Great job getting the larger roms to work. Unbelieveable.....

I also have a idea/sugestion for both of you.
On a PC (as you both know) you can use some of the hard-drive space as if it were RAM (aka virtual memory)

My idea was, could this be done on the PSP? By using space on the memory card as RAM?? I imagine if this could be done it would solve all sorts of problems for you guys (Slow framerate, Memory issue's) And if you had a 2GB memory stick you could use 1GB of it for RAM and the other 1GB for N64 games.

kyle2194
May 4th, 2006, 00:19
A corn port would be just as impossible as zsnes. Optimized X86 asm. Project 64 is one of the slowest emulators. It makes that up with compatibility. If you ask me, monkey working on his own emulator from scratch + daedalus, ported by its creator, is enough emulators for now.

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 00:22
Good point. I know this is off topic but could one of you guys help me with this :
have noticed some people with only like 20 posts have names like n64 player or nds gamer under there display names.

I have had a good look and cannot change mine. I don't want to be stuck with DCEmu Newbie due to the fact im not one! help me please!

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 00:24
At least one major hurdle is out of the way now, with being able to load big roms.

Shilo
May 4th, 2006, 00:29
Go to your User C Panel, and click on user groups (or something like that, the link is near the bottom on the left), then chose what you want, then after that go to the bottom of that page and you will see the user groups you have joined, then click the one you want under your name and presto! you now have a new title under your name:D

Joe88
May 4th, 2006, 00:32
Theres no hope of porting project 64 you crazy man!!!! then again there wasnt any hope of home brew on 1.5 about ayear ago...

Well corn sounds good, But can you run corn with 8MB of RAM? post the requirements!

It's probably just as possible as daedalus's was...
doesnt it have 32MB ram, and 4MB video ram ?
and 24MB that is actually usable because of the PSP OS.

Zion
May 4th, 2006, 00:41
Thanks Shilo

Shilo
May 4th, 2006, 00:46
Your welcome:D

Wally
May 4th, 2006, 03:19
I STAND CORRECTED.. Daedalus has gone great!!

V3N0M
May 4th, 2006, 03:59
First up Porting an N64 emulator is not a good idea.
a) you will probably never achieve full speed without a hell of a lot of optimisation.
b) its not built specificially for the PSP

You should just wait for Monkey 64 people, its probably the most playable any emulator will get.
daedelus is good but needs a lot of work.

I agree but at the same time a port can be made to work very well just look at yoyofr's snes tyl that was a port and now one of the best emu's but now were dealing with N64 much more powerful and to have best results it should be made specificaly for the psp and from scrach (what psmonkey is doing) what i like to think of it as is something to tide us over until monkey is done. Not to say Deadalus is not going to be good and his effort is very appriciated because eveyone goal is to have a N64 emu on their psp.

Wally
May 4th, 2006, 05:13
Well already it has PWNT so many people who still are in shock :D So then thats a good oppotunity for PSmonkey

jman420
May 4th, 2006, 05:25
It should be possible to port PJ64, the only thing is, it will take much more programming due to Project 64 using processer, GPU, Audio, and controller plugin DLL's

obviously that would allow for a plugin for each system of the PSP, it would just take the work to do it...

I understand that PJ64 does require quite a bit of processor speed and ram, but it should still be possible..

and I still think that PJ64 1.6 is the best n64 emulator, for compatibility and speed..

acn010
May 4th, 2006, 05:40
is it powerful enough to do those stuff on the psp?
this so call psp is a mini computer, 333 mhz, c'mon, thats a pentium 2 processer speed on a computer.
i know how hard is creating codes and/modify them, but with right, compatible codes and compression everything is possible, you see that umd games graphics for the psp are great and run full speed, it is possible to create a N64 emulator, as said: everything is possible. but it will take time though

Kaiser
May 4th, 2006, 05:50
is it powerful enough to do those stuff on the psp?
this so call psp is a mini computer, 333 mhz, c'mon, thats a pentium 2 processer speed on a computer.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you cannot compare the specs of the PSP to the specs of a computer. The PSP is much more powerful then a 333mHz PC. Its like comparing apples and oranges.

lunasicc
May 4th, 2006, 05:59
Zion, you stated that maybe PSmonkey and Daedelus should use the memory card for memory. Although this is a good idea, it is not something new. In PC, it is called virtual memory when you used the hard drive for memory when you run out of RAM. This idea was already mentioned to PSmonkey and he told everyone that the write speed on memory cards are way too slow to incorporate virtual memory. But we shouldn't worry too much about memory, because the only big problem with the memory is not being able to load large rom sizes.

I would hold back on the ideas no working around the memory issue until PSmonkey gets textures up and running and a dynamic recompiler. It just isnt a top priority issue that we should concentrate on.

robotdevil
May 4th, 2006, 14:27
What about the read speeds? I think dynamic loading would help. Looking at some of the commercial games for the PSP there are WAY more textures than in homebrew. There's only 2 ways to do it too;

1. Dynamic loading, take what you can when you can.

2. Texture compression/optimization.

I know the PSP uses S3TC (stated in the back of the user manual for licensing agreements) and that combined with smaller textures would work for most games. But some have environments with many more textures and would still run out of memory. So dynamic loading has to be used (it's used in most consoles anyway). The only question is, can it be done from the MS? I know from watching video that it streams from the MS, reads approx every 2-3 secs. If we had something like that it may improve the loading of larger ROMS, and/or free up memory for the emu itself (ex. Doom64/Quake64/Golden Eye/etc. first level would load from the ROM, at the end the 2nd level would load, etc). This may increase load times between stages, but if it makes the games run better I'd sacrifice some load time.

Just 2 cents, dunno if it's even possible but it was worth throwing out there.

Cap'n 1time
May 4th, 2006, 14:59
heh.. if you look at the rules I requested that n64 emulators not be brought up for discussion... I guess we can make a few changes eh? :)

jman420
May 4th, 2006, 21:01
okay, psp in itself is an extremely fast 333mhz computing device..
its intirely possible to run a program that would demand up to 500 mhz without any problems.
its all about the programming, a lot of people dont realize, but the ME processor, is a very helpful, quick processor.. the GPU is reasonably fast aswell..
the problem comes when people program for the gpu, cpu, and ME all at the same time, each must be addressed seperately, due to the very slow bus speed of a psp..

in short, as long as someone can address information where it needs to go at the time it needs to be there, its possible to program software to run quickly..

Wally
May 5th, 2006, 01:44
heh.. if you look at the rules I requested that n64 emulators not be brought up for discussion... I guess we can make a few changes eh? :)

Well nobody thought it was possible :P

BALL_SAC
May 6th, 2006, 08:07
deadulus port is good enough for me.

samidgley
May 6th, 2006, 14:36
Why was it Daedelus and not another Emulator anyhow? ... because Daedelus isn't great on a PC.. just wondering really

Shadowblind
May 6th, 2006, 14:40
Why was it Daedelus and not another Emulator anyhow? ... because Daedelus isn't great on a PC.. just wondering really

what?

kyle2194
May 6th, 2006, 15:25
Because StrnmNrmn is tha author of daedalus for the pc, he ported his own emulator.

Harshboy
May 6th, 2006, 17:13
Me and my fellow buddies at Benheck were talking bout corn also. Someone reported it could run with pretty low specs and wrok pretty good. The specs were less than the PSP, so i think if another port of a N64 emulator should come, Corn is our best bet! Here is a post:

They should have ported Corn instead, it runs much faster and is more efficient than Daedalus. Most people haven't heard of Corn, but it works quite well running Mario 64 on a 200MHz Pentium II. Quite an achievement. Unfortunately its compatibility is limited.

Hawkeyefile
May 7th, 2006, 19:19
Unfortunately its compatibility is limited.

Wally
May 8th, 2006, 07:10
Also corn isnt opensource (last time i checked it wasnt)

aadhu
May 8th, 2006, 09:33
yup no source code available for corn soo no hope of porting that. The author of corn dropped of the face of the earth a lil while after the 0.3 of corn released.

tsurumaru
May 8th, 2006, 16:10
And the main reason Corn wouldn't be worth the time in porting (as people keep trying to point out in a lot of these threads) is the reason it runs well is that its specifically written for x86 (PC) architecture not the PSP's MIPS chipset. ;)

Cap'n 1time
May 8th, 2006, 21:47
And the main reason Corn wouldn't be worth the time in porting (as people keep trying to point out in a lot of these threads) is the reason it runs well is that its specifically written for x86 (PC) architecture not the PSP's MIPS chipset. ;)

Imma quote you in the stick :)

tsurumaru
May 8th, 2006, 22:52
LOL, here's someone else trying to point this out (there explanation sounds a bit more eloquent than mine).

jas0nuk
Dcemu Newbie

jas0nuk 10+

Originally Posted by Harshboy
Well your PC sucks then. My dads freakin 5 year old laptop can play the games flawlessly. And my new PC is way better than yours.......Like i've said before, We should try to port Corn, seeing as it can run Mario 64 on a 200 Mhz P2 almost perfectly. But, this is so great!

The only reason Corn is so fast is because it is almost entirely coded in x86 (Intel/AMD) assembly, which makes it useless to port to the PSP, which uses a MIPS processor.

soad825
August 18th, 2007, 07:47
well im planning on porting PJ64 so we'll just see if it is possible

bah
August 18th, 2007, 15:16
I really wouldn't bother, the results will never be anywhere close to where daedalus is right now unless you rewrite basically the entire emulator and are a better coder than StrmnNrmn.

No disrespect, I just really don't think its worth your time.

Also, bumping year+ old threads is generally looked down upon.

acn010
August 18th, 2007, 15:22
omg.... no point of porting..... its better leaving it to high personel

xg917
August 18th, 2007, 16:05
not meaning to bump this thread anymore but dam how long is zion banned for??

blackrave
August 18th, 2007, 16:45
Permanently, I think. I doubt there will ever be a better N64 emulator for the PSP than Daedalus.

Sterist
August 26th, 2007, 00:20
This idea was already mentioned to PSmonkey and he told everyone that the write speed on memory cards are way too slow to incorporate virtual memory.

But we shouldn't worry too much about memory, because the only big problem with the memory is not being able to load large rom sizes.

modernly speaking -- now that the legendary and entirely unused flash2 and flash3 has been discovered, possibly they could be used as a collective 1.5mb virtual mem. onboard flash has over twice the transfer speed of standard MS cards

edit: and if we could somehow allocate half of the flash1 as well, that would be 3mb virtual memory. about flash1: when at it's absolute fullest, uses ~0.5 to 0.6mb and has a capacity of ~3.5mb

yes memory is a problem. if you ever see solid white textures, it's the area that couldn't be textured due to insufficient memory. back when this thread was made, it was black and purple.