PDA

View Full Version : Warning To Developers, Watch Out For Copyrights!

wraggster
May 4th, 2006, 00:13
The admin of PSP3D (http://psp3d.com/showthread.php?t=7333) posted a warning that i feel our visitors and developers should also take notice of especially because the PSP scene is being watched by the mainstream sites, heres what he posted:

<blockquote>Recently there has been a surge of homebrew clones of popular PC games to the PSP. Clones such as StarCraft, Age of Empires, Red Alert, and more. Remember, developer companies of these games still have active copyrights on their games. Ripping sprites from their games and using them in your own homebrew port is illegal, regardless of what coding of the backend is like (obviously homebew code since the source for these games has not been released yet). Also, using the game's name in your port, even with different in-game sprites, is also illegal. So you could have a clone of say StarCraft, call it StarCraft PSP, and use different sprites as well, but you would still be producing illegal material. </blockquote>

I actually agree with the PSP3D Admin, i think its great that clones are made but use your head and name it different and keep away from copyrighted stuff where possible.

Whats your views on this subject ?

pspfan
May 4th, 2006, 00:24
I couldn't agree more. I remember someone (I think it was PSPdemon...?) was making a Halo mod for Iris and he had to stop because it violated copyrights. However, I am all for the clones as long as they don't rip sprites and names. You can still name thinks pretty close, though...

CoderX
May 4th, 2006, 00:44
Yes i have been taking that in to thought, my next release will be called
Age of Empire in stead of the origional name

And at the moment all sprites are being redrawn, thank you

Cooe14
May 4th, 2006, 00:46
CoderX how bout Age of the Empire's ? Age of Empire sounds kinda weird.

Gene
May 4th, 2006, 00:48
or "Age Of EmpireZ"?

Emeriastone
May 4th, 2006, 01:11
The Homebrew community does not need a lawsuit brought against any of it's members.

Lawsuits would certainly stunt the growth of any homebrew development.

moogster66
May 4th, 2006, 01:21
Maybe if Sony and some of the other software companies would make decent games for the psp, we would not need homebrew. Now don't get me wrong, I love the great work that our beloved coders have produced. They have so miuch more skill and patience than I could ever have. And I love the PC ports of the older titles, bringing them back to life. But maybe some of the big boys could produce some quality titles. And we wouldn't RELY on hombrew!

Cap'n 1time
May 4th, 2006, 01:22
Empire of Ages. BRILLIANT!

craig588
May 4th, 2006, 01:22
Just call it Empire of Ages.

Edit: Wow, that's a neat same time post.

Cap'n 1time
May 4th, 2006, 01:24
hmmm perhapes we are linked by some telepathy.

chickenclaws
May 4th, 2006, 02:18
ohh you guys playing tricks on me!

Sousanator
May 4th, 2006, 02:38
so even if the game is free, and your not making any money on it,
you can still get in trouble,,

thats definitly not good for my next release,
what am i going to call McDonalds now,, and all its special hamburger names?

what if we give credit to them, then is it ok?

CoderX
May 4th, 2006, 02:52
Wragg please delete all post and the file partaining to my game from the server please

Voltron
May 4th, 2006, 02:55
Maybe if Sony and some of the other software companies would make decent games for the psp, we would not need homebrew.

Well actually a lot of the new games recently released for the PSP are pretty kick ass. Games are getting pretty good on the PSP.

But unfortunately to get them playing on my 1.50 PSP I have to resort to backing them up as I$O's.

Yeah I use I$O's - Sue me. I don't care. As long as I get to play Siphon Filter: Dark Mirror and many others on a 1.50 I just don't care. And its not just that. The dreadfully long load times in many PSP games is drastically reduced or eliminated altogether when playing the game of memory stick and/ or overclocking the PSP.

indstr
May 4th, 2006, 03:10
StarKraft

kcc86
May 4th, 2006, 03:21
i was looking forward to starcraft and all those other ports.. what a shame

CoderX
May 4th, 2006, 03:26
O im not done i just want to perge my old stuff

Altair is letting me alter his game engein, its going to be intresting

rock_light
May 4th, 2006, 04:06
this is rediculous.

im pretty sad to hear this small simple fact is actually frightening some developers.

just remember to give credit where its due and all

now how about ppls forum sigs and avatars?

copy writed material is all over those things

unless your planning on trying to make money on your game i wouldnt be intimidated by this news at all.

besides blizzard sux (sorryfans) in my opinion anyways

all the games I plan to port are all classic titles anyways

for instance all the sprites i plan to use were drawn in japan anyways so hopefully it'll take a lil longer than blizzard took to get agitated.

Blizzard you are a petty pathetic company and your game engines and graphics are unimpressive anyways

I wouldnt be at all surprised if a clone popped up with better gfx anyways

Gene
May 4th, 2006, 04:32
^don't flame. anyone

PSPdemon
May 4th, 2006, 05:44
I couldn't agree more. I remember someone (I think it was PSPdemon...?) was making a Halo mod for Iris and he had to stop because it violated copyrights. However, I am all for the clones as long as they don't rip sprites and names. You can still name thinks pretty close, though...

hehe...

i didnt really violate anything because i didnt rip anything from the game... also... i wasnt going to call it halo mod...i was going to rename it...but i used that to describe it so people would know what it was that i was making..

i agree with the matter, and i am waiting for C&D orders on all these games that are like the AOE, StarCraft, and RedAlert... not to be mean but those are almost like dead straight copies... and if i know one thing...thats the easiest way to for a lawsuit.

anyway...thanks for this little thread.. this aught to slow down the copies and start making people think about more unique ideas for psp homebrew games :D

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

edit:

this is rediculous.

im pretty sad to hear this small simple fact is actually frightening some developers.

just remember to give credit where its due and all

now how about ppls forum sigs and avatars?

copy writed material is all over those things

unless your planning on trying to make money on your game i wouldnt be intimidated by this news at all.

besides blizzard sux (sorryfans) in my opinion anyways

all the games I plan to port are all classic titles anyways

for instance all the sprites i plan to use were drawn in japan anyways so hopefully it'll take a lil longer than blizzard took to get agitated.

Blizzard you are a petty pathetic company and your game engines and graphics are unimpressive anyways

I wouldnt be at all surprised if a clone popped up with better gfx anyways

Blizzard has made some great games..... and lots of people still play the classic games from blizzard ( like diablo, starcraft, and warcraft!!!!

even i from time to time play diablo and diablo 2...

also... there is big fan base for blizzard games... so i can see people wanting to port or clone a game from them....

hehe... if someone made diablo for the psp.... I WOULD DIE...AND NEVER HAVE A LIFE AGAIN :) (just dont go over the copyright laws and stuff like that... make it a feel of it but with a new story :D )

Kaiser
May 4th, 2006, 05:59
hehe... if someone made diablo for the psp.... I WOULD DIE...AND NEVER HAVE A LIFE AGAIN :)

Oh God, with Wi-fi support over B-Net to. I'd probably die with addiction.

RedKing14CA
May 4th, 2006, 05:59
Isnt it weird how my public school system uses books that have the title "Age of Empires" or "The Age of Empires".... how about "the empiracle age"

Isnt it interesting city of heroes uses the word heroes even though its copy righted???

HOW THE FOOG CAN RED ALERT BE COPY "WRIGHTED"... THEY USE IT IN HECKA MOVIES!!!

Im tired of this bullshit, why is DCemu advertising it, HUH!!!?!?!

PSPdemon
May 4th, 2006, 06:15
Oh God, with Wi-fi support over B-Net to. I'd probably die with addiction.

you play too?

which one? the first one or the second? i have both so it doesnt matter :)

I like the 2nd one with expansion man its SWEET :D maybe you can help me out with hell on ancients... then BAAL, mwhahahahaha :)

Yes i have to agree...if one did come out with wi-fi support on b-net...dear lord, i would literally die... it would be hard for me to pull myself off the psp ever again

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

b8a
May 4th, 2006, 09:31
for instance all the sprites i plan to use were drawn in japan anyways so hopefully it'll take a lil longer than blizzard took to get agitated.Unfortunately, you're probably right, no one will probably do anything about it. But if you steal a car and the owner of the car never reports it, does that make it right? Of course that's an extreme example, but ripping sprites from games and using them in other projects without consent is still a violation of the original IP holder's rights, and it's gotta stop. I'm sick of seeing all of these slick looking games and movies that look like an official product, but then when you check it out, you find out it's just something that some hack pieced togeather. You can bet that all of that poor, second-rate material floating around out there prominently featuring their work is not only an insult to the original, but also damaging to the company's reputation.

Imitation is the sincierest form of flattery, but boldly ripping pieces from other work is just stealing. If you're looking to honor an old favorite, do it right and create something new based on it. I don't care if you're not that great at creating sprites, practice makes perfect, and it's far more impressive when you at least try it and achieve something that looks second rate, then it is when you steal someone else's work and end up with something that looks really polished.

shadowprophet
May 4th, 2006, 10:48
Not that I can find the links.
But it wasnt so long ago the 3d chrono trigger project was shut down by square.
Or so the developer said.
It seems entirely possible that a company wouldnt want you useing there game ideas for homebrew.
I can imagine if it where toys. and somone found a way to cheaply make transformer ripoffs and distribute them for free the toy companys wouldnt be pleased about it.

However I see this as a boon for the homebrew comunity, or at the very least a compliment, That we can create somthing so intimadeting to developers that they feel thretened.
It must mean were getting really good at what we do :rolleyes:

Fanjita
May 4th, 2006, 13:10
It would be nice if people would try to make original games, rather than simple clones and copies.

By all means use something like Starcraft as an inspiration, but why not make an RTS based on its principles, but with your own races, themes, and storylines. Much more interesting (IMO) to develop and play, and it's not going to get you into trouble.

Cap'n 1time
May 4th, 2006, 14:58
Not that I can find the links.
But it wasnt so long ago the 3d chrono trigger project was shut down by square.
Or so the developer said....

dont bring it up.. youll make me cry. :(

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

vettacossx
May 4th, 2006, 15:05
ok ive got a QUESTION if someone HAD a HALO mod of iris but DID NOT post it or release it just HAD A COPY could he or she be in trouble.....if they dont sell it they dont post it...just play it for there own shits and giggles but its on your pc.....could they try and cause prob STILL after knowing your not gonna post it!!! i mean this all seems crazy why does bill gates want to run everything .....he already owns everything....lol..but really if a guy went to the library and posted whatever PROJECT they were worried about....THEN HOW WOULD YOU KNOW WHO IT WAS? i mean for any project....say they made a new register here after they got to the library and gave there library alias all the creditz just to get the game out there .....no way to proove anything if you dont sighn up for a pc at the library, go there post this project of whatever then leave and never return....WILL BILL SUE THE LIBRARY for letting someone in to do there SCHOOL WORK, and they posted on dcemu instead........cmon bill really you have plenty of money YOU CAN AFFORD TO MAKE AN ORIGINAL...WE ARENT RICH LET US HAVE OUR FUN TIGHT WADD!!!

Lumir
May 4th, 2006, 16:31
Correct me if im wrong but software copyrights only last 8 years right?

Apoklepz
May 4th, 2006, 16:48
O K....so what about all these releases?

-Super Mini Mario (not to forget the insanely increasing mods behind it named after other games)

-Beats of Rage (mods also apply here even though this is really old)

-Work in progress games in Lua (Ninja Gaiden, Fist of the North Star, Naruto, Sonic, etc..)

-Smash Brothers GPSP (and every sprite caracter made for it)

-That GTA car game somebody made a while back

-Don't even get me started about emulation

YOU MEAN TO SAY THAT ALL THIS IS ILLEGAL THEN???

:p ...COOL

We've been criminals all along then...and to think I have never even downloaded a PSP ISO file..

Lumir, you are the first guy I see that has a dude looking at spank tradition for an avatar pic...very original...no flame intended btw, I just think it's cool, man.

mog
May 4th, 2006, 17:06
I tought the C&C team released the code for the first two c&c games they made (tiberium dawn & red alert)?
I thought I heard that from their own dvd in their "c&c first decade" collection... maybe not though, because I dont remember seeing it downloadable anywhere; neither a legal executable of the games nor the source code.
I guess that still might mean people are not allowed to recreate it, and certainly not allowed to make profit from it, but i'm sure if the homebrewer has given proper credit then they probably wouldn't mind...
I guess the safest option might be to ask the C&C team if they mind? :)

Only problem I can see with that is if the C&C team made an official licenced port of the game on UMD? :confused:
But then im sure the homebrewer would delete his version...

Fanjita
May 4th, 2006, 17:08
Correct me if im wrong but software copyrights only last 8 years right?

Don't forget trademarks and other IP. Typically it's trademark infringement that these companies will be upset about.

shadowprophet
May 4th, 2006, 19:19
dont bring it up.. youll make me cry. :(

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/

Thats the one :(
I was looking foward to that one too :(

PSP3D
May 4th, 2006, 19:49
There is no such thing as companies 'not minding' if you give them credit for making the game. The facts are simple: if you do not have permission directly from the corporation that makes the game, to use their ideas/sprites/trademarked names, then it is illegal. There are no ways around it. I'm sure the DMCA can stand beside me with that statement.

As far as Mario, their SNES/NES games are no longer for sale in stores, and their copyrights and financial backing of the games have expired/are no longer in effect.

As far as who "gets the blame" with copyrighted content clones, it's actually more the distributor than the creator of the content. Although a failure to comply to the DMCA/C&D will result in an investigation and the aquisition of the IPs of those behind the project, the initial brunt of the blame goes to distributors of the content. Suppose you had a copy of a song that a friend gave to you. You decided to upload it to your site and share it with the world. Your friend would not get in trouble for giving you the music (which is also illegal activity) at first, but you would be busted for distributing copyrighted content. Same idea.

grin.ch
May 4th, 2006, 20:45
I can't program anything, so I don't worry about it. If someone's gonna get into trouble, it ain't gonna be me. As long as ppl are smart tho, no one needs to worry.

vettacossx
May 5th, 2006, 03:51
right i wont post anything ether but i tell peeps to go to a PUBLIC PC to keep there rights to privicy ....even though bill clinton sighned a bill of INTENET PRIVICY ABOUT THIS VERY THING SO THOSE PEOPLE ARENT ALLOWED ON A SITE>>>

[edit] 1timeuser- both of these are would be rom sites. thats a big no no :( . This is your only warning and im a little disappointed in you . :mad: :(

By entering our ROMs section, you MUST agree with the following disclaimer:

The ROMs on the following pages are for backup purposes only. If you do not own the actual game, you must delete the ROM from your hard drive within 24 hours.

These ROMs will never be sold for profit, or distributed with emulators as a package.

You will never hold anyone here at *************.com, or any other ********* domain (this includes but not limited to the webmaster, staff members or our host) for any damages caused by the ROMs or emulators.

For legal issues, if you are affiliated with any government, anti-piracy group, IDSA group, former workers of, or any other related groups or organizations, you will not enter the website, download any of the files, or view any of the HTML. If you enter this site, you disagree to these terms violate code 431.322.12 of the Internet Privacy Act signed by Bill Clinton in 1995. This means you cannot persecute our ISP(s), any person(s), or company that is storing these files. You cannot persecute family, friends, individual(s) who runs or maintains this website, visitors, or anyone affiliated with this website.

We reserve the right to change this policy any time.

If you agree to all of the above, you may enter.

b8a
May 5th, 2006, 11:43
Correct me if im wrong but software copyrights only last 8 years right?Last time I checked, it was 25 years under US copyright law.

MadMonkee
May 5th, 2006, 14:20
OH COME THE FAWK ONN!

There is NO Age of Empires NOR Starcraft for PSP by the original developpers. None of the originial developers have put effort on either of these homebrew games and the homebrew doesn't in ANY way harm their sales, because they are not even ON this branch of portable gaming.

If there acutally WAS an Age of Empires game THEN I'd understand all the ranting because hey, why would people pay for it when it is available for free?

But there isn't. So do what I did before I attempted to write a Pokemon mod for Half-Life, if you are THAT concerned about it. E-mail the suckers asking can I use your game's name on so and so console for my application? They most likely say yes.

Unless it's Sony, those ***s willingly brought down a company who was trying to make a keyboard for the PSP. At the last minute they wouldn't give them the keyboard codes they need. Aarrgh I hope the Xbox Portable will kick Sony's ass.

Cap'n 1time
May 7th, 2006, 02:08
nothere isnt any real ranting.. just warnings. And companies have stopped projects like this in the past for seemingly no reason before.

The chronotrigger project i mentioned before was halted because square demanded that thoes people stop. this was in 2004- almost 10 years after chronotrigger was released. square had, and to this day has no plans to remake chrono themselves.. so why? idunno?

vatomalo
August 8th, 2008, 13:32
with all due respect!!

i really love the Homebrew community.
and ive been a member of this site for awhile.
im not that good a programmer, but i know a little.
and i DO NOT really care about the copyright laws.
I do care about the company's getting enough money to make more great games, and feeding their families at the same time. but the homebrew games arent even near the quality of the original games, not that the coders are not competent, for that they are. but just that they dont have that budget. and well for a Lone programmer its not that easy to make great models and so on and so on, if we had cared about the copyright laws, we would never had downloaded as much movies and music as we do today. And i think that the industry it self must reinvent it self. this is not our fault, and i do not really care for laws of authorities they can go and ************ them selfs for all i care.

so if you make homebrew games with copyrighted materials make sure you use a public computer and use a alias, or just dont name your self......

i hope that the homebrew community keeps giving us great games. One love ^__^

as for the Billion dollar companies loosing money
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Why should we care??