PDA

View Full Version : Neuros Recorder 2 incompatible with PSP 2.7 firmware

wraggster
May 4th, 2006, 00:31
Via Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2006/05/03/neuros-recorder-2-incompatible-with-psp-2-7-firmware/)

Bad news for PSP owners: Macworld is reporting that the recent 2.7 firmware update makes it impossible for the handheld console to play content captured by the Neuros 2 Recorder. Even worse, files that you had previously recording using your Memory Stick-equipped Neuros will no longer work once you upgrade to 2.7. For now, Neuros is taking a three-pronged approach to the problem: they're working on a firmware update of their own for the Recorder 2, attempting to convince Sony to adjust their code in future upgrades, and, least helpfully, recommending that their customers avoid making the move to 2.7. Also, the company claims to be working on a solution that, at the very least, will allow those folks who insist on upgrading to convert their old recordings into a 2.7-friendly format.

Shilo
May 4th, 2006, 00:36
Just one more reason not to upgrade to 2.7!

bah
May 4th, 2006, 01:18
Anyone know if this is a DRM issue or somthing else?

I havnt heard any reports of self converted files not working (PSPVideo9 or similar).

MythTV, its a good thing.

SSaxdude
May 4th, 2006, 01:21
Yeah, why would Sony adjust their code to make those files incompatible with 2.7? Are they losing money because of this? Well, just another reason why 2.7 is a joke (and 1.51 and above.)

Emeriastone
May 4th, 2006, 01:41
Am I allowed to laugh??

kayhanbakid
May 4th, 2006, 01:56
i never even thought about upgrading but,

the whole point of buying this is to save time by not converting video. i could already record tv on my computer but the conversion time annoyed the hell out of me.

it won't bother me but it's sad for people who want to upgrade and play new games.

Voltron
May 4th, 2006, 02:47
Well this sucks. I can't stand when firmware upgrades ruin certain capabilities of a device. Especially one as expensive as the PSP. Apple finally fixed it with a recent firmware upgrade but Apples first update for the new iPod caused videos to freeze after 30 seconds and then resume with no sound. This was not corrected for more than 2 months. Unacceptable. And so is this.

It's sad for people who want to upgrade and play new games.

Most new games now work on 1.50 firmware - My PSP is using 1.50 firmware and I am now enjoying Siphon Filter, Lemmings, Gradius Portable, Generation of Chaos, Ys Ark of Napishtim, Worms, 007, & many more 2.50 - 2.60 games.

NOBODY UPGRADE to 2.70 - Not worth it.

1.5 its alive!

Video_freak
May 4th, 2006, 03:11
Well, just another reason why 2.7 is a joke (and 1.51 and above.)

I think 2.0 is the best, because you get more video codecs and the web browser. Plus, you can downgrade anytime good homebrew comes out (unless you use the eboot Loader).

BTW, i think this is completely hilarious (unless you own the product)

John Vattic
May 4th, 2006, 04:16
lmao!
man this is aweful!

so like sony is breaking stuff thats not even of their own manufacture!

thats like if $ony had a firmware update that destroys my logitech playger pocket case!
what's next a firmware that renders sandisk pro duos useless?

talk about crapping on your customers!

sorry but those of you who update past 2.60 are silly!
besides are there even any 2.70 games out yet?

and shame on you $ony. do you hear it? hey $ony can you hear the sound of a few million gamers saying f*** this i'm gettin a ds?

bandit
May 4th, 2006, 05:11
Neuros is in talks with Sony. They hope Sony will help them fix the problem. If there is a fix available, all current owners will be able to get the fix. I'll keep you posted as I have reviewed the Neuros MPEG Recorder 2 (http://reviews.dcemu.co.uk)

shadowprophet
May 4th, 2006, 07:46
Am I allowed to laugh??

I feel the same way. I used to feel sorry for people that updated to the newset firmware.

Now I get a sick pleasure out of laughing at them.
Firmware updates are nothing new to us now they have been around for a while.
And those people that find some reason to update. dont deserve homebrew.

Cold you say ?
I sure am. But no colder then the demands people put on the homebrew community to find an exploit in constantly updated firmware.

b8a
May 4th, 2006, 08:47
Things break when software gets updated, it's a fact of life, and the fact that this product no longer works <i>might</i> not be a malicious act on Sony's part. If you read through <a href="http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=21972" target="_blank">this full interview,</a> you'll see how Sony's updates can mean software rewrites even for 100% Sony-supported products. The biggest differences with official developers though is that at least they're in the loop about the changes.

But, imagine what Sony's got in store if this <i>was</i> a malicious act on their part:<div style="width:95%; margin: auto; margin-top: 10px; margin-bottom: 10px; padding: 2%; background-color:rgb(230,230,230); border: thin black solid; font-family: serif"><span style="float: right; margin: 2%">Dateline: November 30, 2006</span><p style="clear: both; text-indent: 60px; font-family: serif">Today Sony released the latest update to the system software for their popular handheld gaming device, the PSP™. The system update includes many new security improvements, as well as adding support for communicating and interacting with their newly released PS3™ next-generation gaming console. Among the new features being offered for PS3™ interoperability is one which allows the PSP™ user to playback videos recorded and stored on the console's built-in hard drive. As such, the PSP™ is now no longer able to natively view videos stored on the Memory Stick™ that originate from any other source...<p></div>Imagine what the future could hold in store: PSP's that only play music downloaded off of their official distribution site or included on official music UMD's... WOW, CAN'T WAIT!!

kayhanbakid
May 4th, 2006, 10:48
:eek:

geise69
May 4th, 2006, 12:55
Quite often when firmware updates happen other things sometimes break. Like b8a says, it happens. Now with everyone saying that this was done on purpose, why would Sony do that? It hurts them more than anything, cause they have to go back and fix the problem, which costs them time and money. All this hate of Sony is quite humerous. They sure aren't the nicest company, but all this "I'll never upgrade even if my life depends on it" is a bit rediculous. Everyone bought their psp for some reason. Some for strictly homebrew, some for having an all in one media device, and the gamers that want to play new portable games. Now for someone to say I don't deserve homebrew cause I updated, that's really not fair to say. I had a 1.0 and I chose to upgrade. Mainly cause I was a bit sick of having to jump through hoops just to play a new game, or wait 2340987340987 months, for something to come out so I can play my "purchased" games. Well this is getting way off topic, but Sony is addressing the problem, so I'm sure the next firmware will have it working again.

bandit
May 4th, 2006, 12:59
Whoever is interested or curious..here is the full email that I received

Dear Neuros MPEG-4 Recorder 2 Owners:

We want to make you aware of an issue that has recently popped up for use of the Neuros Recorder 2 on the Sony Playstation Portable.

Sony has recently offered a firmware upgrade for the PSP from Version 2.6 to Version 2.7. We don’t think Sony did this on purpose, but, for now, PSPs with the upgraded firmware won’t play files recorded with the Recorder 2. A second result of this issue is that any files you may have recorded previously with the Recorder 2 would need to be converted to play on PSPs having the upgraded Version 2.7 firmware.

Until we solve this problem, we strongly recommend that, if you have not already done so, that you wait before upgrading your PSP firmware to Version 2.7.

We take this issue seriously and are taking three different approaches to solve it. We are: (i) working to create an upgrade to our own firmware so that files made with the Recorder 2 will play on the PSP. We anticipate that this will take a week or two to solve; and (ii) trying to make Sony aware of the problem so that we can work with them to create a firmware upgrade that does not have the problem. We don’t yet know if Sony will cooperate with this but will keep pushing. (iii) we are working to provide a free solution to convert your old recordings to play on the new PSP firmware.

Thanks for your understanding while we get this figured out! We’ll keep you posted.

The Neuros Team

NoQuarter
May 4th, 2006, 13:46
I personally think sony is using the ol' Hegelian dialetical on the psp and homebrew market,
while also reaming 3rd party product companies.

gavind
May 4th, 2006, 13:49
lmao!

thats like if $ony had a firmware update that destroys my logitech playger pocket case!
what's next a firmware that renders sandisk pro duos useless?

dont go giving them any ideas :D

kfish2oo2
May 4th, 2006, 14:49
i think sonys sneakily trying to get rid of the self converted video playback capabilitie since the UMD videos have been such a flop. or maybe they're just trying to muscle out competitive home recording devices.

vettacossx
May 4th, 2006, 17:12
MY FRIEND AT EB IS PIST ....SONY IS MESSING UP THERE GAME SALES BECAUSE OF THE WHOLE FIRMEWARE ISSUE....THATS BULL SHIZNIT...WTF SONY!!
i bought 2 copys of metal gear solid .....because your update screwd up my COMMECIAL GAME??? and my fav game store..Electronic Boutique....
its a good thing THEY TAKE CARE of me....what if u were stuck with a non-working metal gear commercial game...and did NOT know about homebrew...YOU MAKE THOSE COSTOMERS SUFFER 2??? sony hates all of us...not just us homebrewers.....we would love new COMMERCIAL games but.....NOT AT THE LOSS OF SYSTEMS ABILITYS i mean these so called up grades only make my homebrew go away and compatability of the hardware with it????what r you thinking sony????

WOWOMG
May 4th, 2006, 19:05
neuros fix it,the compatible problem with PSP 2.7 firmware.(3 days job)
they need some more test for these modify before release new code.(even if the solution working good on PSP V2.7 now)
my friend tell me that PSP V2.7 add some limit(or checker) of MP4 video format for stabile reason.