PDA

View Full Version : PSPCAP32: Amstrad CPC Emulator v1.0.7 (kbd editor)

zx-81
May 4th, 2006, 23:03
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspcap32-snap6.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSPCAP32 the CPC Emulator for PSP.

I cross finger, it should be my last release. I won't work anymore on this emulator, only for bug fix.

What's new in version 1.0.7 :

- CPC/PSP Keyboard mapping Editor using the virtual keyboard.
(You can now load, edit and save your .kbd file inside the emulator).
- The name of the current game is now displayed in the emulator menu
(this name is used as filename for all saved data such as keyboard file or quick save snapshots).

- Bug fix in z80 emulator visible in batman game (couldn't enter in some rooms)
- Bug fix in virtual keyboard, several keys such as Copy or Capslock weren't taken into account.

How to use it ?

Have a look to the README.txt file !

Two binary versions (for 2.x and 1.5 FW) and sources are included in the zip archive.

This package is under GPL Copyright, read COPYING file for more information about it.

Enjoy, :D

Zx.

edit: LDaneels has updated is kbd pack archive :)

PsychoSync
May 4th, 2006, 23:30
Thank you for your great emu!

AtariGuy
May 5th, 2006, 23:27
I may have updated to 2.7 so can't use this, but.....

I HEART 8-Bit BATMAN!!!

(I used to have it on the ZX Spectrum)

dazman
May 6th, 2006, 01:54
Sorry to ear you will not be doing any more work with this emulator.

I think it's great, It would not take a lot to make it one of the greats on the PSP.

Please reconsider for all us wannabe programmers that have no chance of doing what you do or maybe give the source to someone else to complete.

Without great folks like yourselves we would be left just looking back at old photos on web sites but because of your efforts we get to relive our youth,

Long live 80's gaming
Thanks

zx-81
May 6th, 2006, 10:27
Sorry to ear you will not be doing any more work with this emulator.

I think it's great, It would not take a lot to make it one of the greats on the PSP.

Please reconsider for all us wannabe programmers that have no chance of doing what you do or maybe give the source to someone else to complete.

Without great folks like yourselves we would be left just looking back at old photos on web sites but because of your efforts we get to relive our youth,

Long live 80's gaming
Thanks

Thanks to David (Dondepre) a CPC fan, he motivates me to still work on it, and i spend the night to improve the speed and integrate a new feature (screenshots). I succeed to go up to 30% faster on several games, with an average of 5-10%.

This new release will be soon available.

:D

edit: BTW sources are part of the zip archive, so if anyone wants to create his clone under GNU licence, there is no problem :)

aleborri
May 6th, 2006, 13:09
Hi first thanks a lot for the emu, it's awesome to be able to play Head over Heels, Batman and others :)

However I have a question, is there any way to save your ingame progress? Everytime I use save slot it tells me that it can't save file, I don't see anything mentioned about this in the readme, can you please help? also, is there any way to save your settings for screen size, so I don't have to set it everytime.

Also, you mention this would be perhaps your last update, however the emu seems a bit slow, so you think that no more progress can be made to make it faster?

Thanks again for the emu :D

zx-81
May 6th, 2006, 13:47
Hi first thanks a lot for the emu, it's awesome to be able to play Head over Heels, Batman and others :)

However I have a question, is there any way to save your ingame progress? Everytime I use save slot it tells me that it can't save file, I don't see anything mentioned about this in the readme, can you please help?

You have to create a directory save in pspcap32 (psp/game/pspcap32/save). But this directory is already in the zip archive.

also, is there any way to save your settings for screen size, so I don't have to set it everytime.

For the moment there is not such option, but i will developp such a feature (to save a configuration file (pspca32.cfg) with all your settings while leaving the emulator), not so hard to do.

Also, you mention this would be perhaps your last update, however the emu seems a bit slow, so you think that no more progress can be made to make it faster?

Next version will be a bit faster, but i think we are close to the maximum speed we can reached with this emu.

dazman
May 6th, 2006, 22:35
That's great to know.

I think this has a lot of potential and Amstrads are not one of the more popular emulators so if you don't continue to work on it I don't think it will be so quick for someone else to start another.

Not trying to burden you with work but I have a list of likes for this.

1 Able to save games states, with saved picture would be icing on the cake. (See SNES 9xTYL)
2 Save all config changes on exit.
3 Easy loading of game, I.E. just select from Menu then emulator does loading in background.
4 Back ground picture on PSP menu screen and maybe on emulator screen, Picture of Amstrad and maybe the famous Roland sprite
5 Picture smoothing (See PSP Vice)

Also not sure if it does or not, when you define the keyboard does it save per game or just once for all games. If per game file great but if not can this be added.

Great work, please keep going. Thanks

zx-81
May 6th, 2006, 23:07
That's great to know.

I think this has a lot of potential and Amstrads are not one of the more popular emulators so if you don't continue to work on it I don't think it will be so quick for someone else to start another.

Right :)

1 Able to save games states, with saved picture would be icing on the cake. (See SNES 9xTYL)
2 Save all config changes on exit.
3 Easy loading of game, I.E. just select from Menu then emulator does loading in background.
4 Back ground picture on PSP menu screen and maybe on emulator screen, Picture of Amstrad and maybe the famous Roland sprite
5 Picture smoothing (See PSP Vice)

1) You can already save the game state (a snapshot is saved in the save directory). But there is no picture.

2) Will be added in next version (i've already done it).

3) If you have written all informations in the run.txt file, the game loading is already not so hard.

4) Yes, it can be nice.

5) I've integrated a very simple algorithm to smooth the image when you are in x1.25 or x1.5 view. It's very fast, but it doesn't look nice on all games. We can imagine more complex render algorithm with best results.

Also not sure if it does or not, when you define the keyboard does it save per game or just once for all games. If per game file great but if not can this be added.

It saves one keyboard file per game ... :)

aleborri
May 8th, 2006, 11:17
Ok thanks a lot about the save folder, it's strange but I had to create it, it didn't show when unraring the file.

Also either I didn't notice before but in the latest 1.08 I see the CPU speed tool so now at 333 mhz it works much better without frameskip.

And yeah 1.25 and 1.50 has some problems like in Head over Heels, it pixelates a lot so I keep the original size, and besides when resized the borders don't fit properly, sometimes they get out of the screen.

Anyway thanks for the new update, I'm having a lot of fun with this emu, if only there was one more update left I would beg for better 1.25x and 1.50x display but overall this is a great emu as it is so thanks a lot again :D

zx-81
May 8th, 2006, 11:34
Ok thanks a lot about the save folder, it's strange but I had to create it, it didn't show when unraring the file.

Yes i forgot to create this folder in previous version.

And yeah 1.25 and 1.50 has some problems like in Head over Heels, it pixelates a lot so I keep the original size, and besides when resized the borders don't fit properly, sometimes they get out of the screen.

Yes, it depends of the game, sometimes it's better in "fit width" mode, sometime in x1.25 or x1.5. The resolution depends of the game (some of them use dedicated code to drive the Motorola 6845 CRTC chip).

dazman
May 13th, 2006, 08:48
Are there any more updates on the way

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 09:12
Are there any more updates on the way

Yes, current version v1.0.8 :) (faster than this version).

here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24129)