PDA

View Full Version : PSP Go Unhackable ?

wraggster
August 30th, 2009, 10:22
Heres a curious article discussing piracy on the PSP and how the PSP Go wont suffer the same problems (well until they hack it :P)

As everyone knows, the PSP is a system that has been plagued with piracy issues, but Sony is starting to get a grasp on the problem. The notorious Pandoras Battery made modifying the official PSP firmware on PSP devices extremely easy a caveman could do it. With the recent PSP-3000, Sony started to show they are acting on measures to protect further PSP models from suffering the same fates as the 1000 and 2000 models. Sony's John Koller had this to say:

"We've had a lot of success with the 3000," Koller says when I bring up the issue. While the earlier models of the PSP were incredibly easy to use with ripped or downloaded games, the PSP Go is going to make things tougher on the pirates. "You won't be able to rip your games and play them on the system, the firmware precludes that," Koller explained. "There's no external battery, so there's a number of protections put into place on the system."

Although this is sure to protect the PSP Go, this may come of as one slight downfall for the PSP Go now. When that battery starts to wear down, that means sending that sexy device to sony for a couple of weeks with a fee.

http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=4&m_articles_articleid=1326

Dbgtgoten
August 30th, 2009, 19:39
I love how they attempt to make it as tho the hackers made the pandora battery themselves instead of a blunder on thier part leaving it open

mik101
August 30th, 2009, 20:30
This just proves sony is too lazy to fix a blunder on their part (pandora battery) and continue to leave the battery external. A lot of PSP owners I know have multiple battery packs for when they're on the go. If battery life isn't substancially improved, I can't see this being a good thing whatsoever.

They're just saying, oh if apple can do it, so can we.
This way they get to make more money off the battery replacements like wraggster said.

apex05
August 31st, 2009, 00:48
Ohh Blah Blah Whiney Sony... they could add a removable cellphone type battery without Pandora circuitry if they really just worried about piracy, at least Apple has a friendlyish image that lets them get away with their greed, but Sony still acts like they still in their glory days of Ps1 and Ps2, but i really can't think of any good decisions they made the last 3 years, untill they stop blaming piracy for everything and start some forward thinking i really don't see them getting out the ditch they in now.

NoQuarter
August 31st, 2009, 01:53
We're gonna have to figure out how to replace that battery ourselves :)
Er, a few months after it comes out it will be mastered.

yakumo
August 31st, 2009, 08:09
"There's no external battery,[...]"

What!?

Agent D
August 31st, 2009, 08:23
Five bucks says someone has it running homebrew within a week after release.

ojdon
August 31st, 2009, 12:37
They've been saying this every FW release. I'm pretty sure the new hardware won't be a problem either.

Zin0099
August 31st, 2009, 19:09
The notorious Pandoras Battery made modifying the official PSP firmware on PSP devices extremely easy a caveman could do it..[/INDENT]

http://psinsider.e-mpire.com/index.php?categoryid=4&m_articles_articleid=1326

NOT COOL MAN i related to those things!