PDA

View Full Version : 300 hours on one Game ?

wraggster
August 31st, 2009, 11:24
You think playing a game for 20-40 hours represents good value? You're playing the wrong kind of game, pal. You need to be playing sports games, where people bleed their annually-released games dry.

EA Sports' Dave Littman - producer on NHL at EA Canada - has told us that "The average EA SPORTS gamer spends 200 to 300 hours playing their favorite sports game each year". That figure is a combination of both online and offline play. And is for just one game.

Can't think of too many games outside of WoW, Call of Duty 4 or Halo 3 where we'd be looking at figures like that. And those are one-off games, not regular, annual occurrences.

Sounds absolutely bonkers, I know, but as someone who probably sinks 50-100 hours or so into FIFA each year (amidst having to play pretty much everything else as well), it also sounds entirely plausible. It might be a stretch saying the "average" gamer spends that long, but with many sports games fans picking up one game and one game only (they're a Madden guy, or an NBA guy, etc), then playing that game for nearly 12 months, there'd still be a sizeable number of people out there racking up hundreds of hours on a single game.

http://kotaku.com/5348984/the-people-that-play-one-game-for-200+300-hours-a-year

i think i have racked up maybe 600 hours playing redlaert 2 and same for champ manager psp

ojdon
August 31st, 2009, 12:36
The only games I can play for long periods of time is Cod4, Champ Manager 5 or 2008 and 2007 on the PSP. Oh and Kotor II but they're no where near 300 hours...

noname1
August 31st, 2009, 14:16
I've only played wow such a long time. ^^
Oh and my second is pokemon gold for the gbc i've played it for 160 hours. XD

kojiro7
August 31st, 2009, 15:00
300 hours only?I have spend more than 3000 hours on sensible soccer and king of fighters

apex05
August 31st, 2009, 15:30
300 hours, 3000 hours.. Pha.. i must have done 5000 hours on Super Mario 3.

User Name
August 31st, 2009, 18:51
I know I played 350 hours on Dragon Warrior Monsters 2 Cobi's Journey for GBC.

Ennohex
August 31st, 2009, 18:59
Ha, much respect to kojiro7.
I've clocked that time alone in King of Fighters 98, I'VE BEEN PLAYING IT SINCE 1998!!

Let's not forget Street Fighter either.

Let's see a yearly sports game beat 10 years play time.

Viva arcade fighters! Viva!

irishwhip
August 31st, 2009, 20:26
split between three main saves, i've spent over 500 hours on oblivion

-Tj-
September 1st, 2009, 04:52
Between Monster Hunter Freedom 2 and Unite (throw 2nd G in there since I converted the save from JP to US) I have 1500+ hours, and still going.

20-40 hours isn't too bad a value, but it's not great. That's something I'd expect from a decent story-driven game. Seeing as I can watch someone play through the SP games of Killzone 2 or Haze in a matter of a few hours or so, I'm not sure of the value of those for myself, especially since I often don't play games online.

I still recall playing Lunar 2 for 50+ hours, and Skies of Arcadia for around the same amount of time when they were new. I still play those from time to time, so I'm sure that adds hours to the value.

pibs
September 1st, 2009, 07:44
I bet people who play WoW laugh at these figures lol

Ennohex
September 1st, 2009, 18:04
I bet the people who play WoW never have the time to read this.

Pilot_51
September 2nd, 2009, 13:54
My best way to track gameplay hours is on Xfire, where I have over 4800 hours (200 days) across around 100 games since joining on 2004-01-26. Of course, many of those games I've barely put any time into and only around 30 have 10+ hours or 10 have 100+ hours. My all-time favorite game, Battlefield 1942, is the only one over 1000 hours.
On Metroid Prime Hunters (which has in-game time tracking) I have 300+ hours, or 200+ on Wi-Fi. I damaged 2 touch screens (each lasted about a year and a half) because of my excessive playing of MPH, but have long since stopped playing because cheaters ruined it and friends rarely play it.

I try to balance my play time across several games, not only to keep things fresh and interesting but I think more than about 30 hours constantly in a single game within a week is bordering on addiction. That's mostly the case for multiplayer games since they never really come to an end that makes it extremely easy to stop playing.

As much as I like gaming, I'm not particularly happy about the time I've spent playing games, time that could've been used to do something more productive, like making games and earning a living.

Anyway, "good value" is relative, price is an extremely important factor. It's obvious so I won't go into details. "Good game" on the other hand would be a better way to put it.

The time spent playing also isn't the best indicator of how good a game is, especially when comparing between single-player and multiplayer games. A single-player game could have incredible gameplay but no matter what it's nearly impossible to get the replay value as good as a decent multiplayer game. I'm a big multiplayer gamer mainly because I don't have much money to shell out for games and want the best play time for my buck, but the single-player games are some of the most memorable, and cooperative multiplayer in a single-player storyline (which is very underrated) makes it so much better. I very rarely buy single-player-only games alone, it usually takes a bundle like the Orange Box to get me to get one; BTW as short as it is, Portal is a great single-player game, but in my case I probably wouldn't have paid even $5 for it alone considering how short-lived it is. I'd say, in my case again, about 10 cents per hour or better is good value (that's 5 hours every day to make WoW worth it with the monthly cost, but then it becomes addiction), the time period doesn't really matter.