PDA

View Full Version : DSI Hacking With Sven

wraggster
August 31st, 2009, 17:39
Sven a member of Team Hackmii posted this on his site regarding DSI Hacking:

Lately I've been playing around with a new toy of mine - a Nintendo DSi. Since games are boring most of the time anyway I bought it with the intention of hacking it.
I tried to solder wires to my DSi's nand flash like scanlime did, blew a fuse and repaired it just to figure out that I somehow broke more stuff - it gets stuck at a "0000FEFE" error screen now :(
Since a SPI EEPROM on the wifi board is somehow invovled in the boot process I decided to dump it and compare it to others using a cheap FPGA board I bought and a FTDI chip.
However, FTDI's mac drivers seem to behave pretty odd for me (random kernel panics, the port suddenly disappears,...) and I'm apparently not the only one having these problems.
Luckily, there is libftdi which is a userspace library for various FTDI chips - this means no more kernel panics for me :)
Apparently there's also a python binding but I was unable to find it so I just decided to write my own. It was a nice project since I also learned how Python actually works and how you can write extensions for it. After a few hours of hacking my small wrapper was already working fine.
marcan was nice enough to host my git repository on his server - feel free to clone and test it.
I still want to write a PySerial wrapper class so that I don't have to rewrite my Python client. (This is also the reason why the wrapper registers pyftdi._core - I want to put the emulation class inside the pyftdi namespace).

Full article -> http://svenpeter.blogspot.com/2009/08/pyftdi.html