PDA

View Full Version : UK Plans To Link Criminal Records To ID Cards

wraggster
September 2nd, 2009, 15:22
Death Metal writes with this excerpt from ComputerWeekly.com about the UK's national ID card scheme:
"Privacy advocates have reacted angrily to reports that the government plans to link national identity records to criminal records for background checks on people who work with children and vulnerable people. Up to 11 million such workers could be affected immediately if the plan goes ahead. Phil Booth, national co-ordinator of privacy advocates NO2ID, said the move was consistent with the various forms of coercion strategy to create so-called volunteers for national ID cards. 'Biometrics are part of the search for clean, unique identifiers,' Phil Booth said. He said the idea was patently ridiculous when the Home Office was planning to allow high street shops and the Post Office to take fingerprints for the ID card."

http://yro.slashdot.org/story/09/09/02/0535218/UK-Plans-To-Link-Criminal-Records-To-ID-Cards

VampDude
September 3rd, 2009, 17:38
I don't have a criminal record, although it would be nice to be able to carry something around that legitimately says that I don't... Although, I would be sceptical about what other information I would be carrying around in my pocket for those who scan the card to see, such as medical records and where I live, things that I would only tell close friends and family... If these cards are enforced in the near future, I hope that each reader has it's limits as to what it can and cannot access.