PDA

View Full Version : Monkey 64 (Nintendo 64 Emulator WIP Update)

wraggster
May 6th, 2006, 14:16
PSMonkey who released the first Nintendo 64 Emulator on the PSP and is still working busily at improving his from the Ground Up emulator for the PSP, heres what he posted yesterday:

<blockquote>ok here is the low down. I have a few things that require being fixed, a few things that would be nice & a few things that are not needed but would help. My goal is to get as many done by sometime next week & release what I have sometime durring E3 (may 9th - may 12th).

Here is the list in order of importance
* Needed *
1) Fix Textures
2) Add Tlb suport (mario needs it)
3) Fix Rsp Microcode bugs
4) Fix flickering by adding double buffering

* Would be nice *
5) Speed up memory reads/writes
6) Add suport for F3DEX2 microcode

* Not really needed *
7) Add microcode detection or contoll by ini
8) Save suport</blockquote>

Its great to have 2 N64 emulators at the same time being worked on for the PSP and the possibility of code sharing makes it very interesting. Remember that both projects deserve masses of praise

More details at PSMonkeys Site (http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk) (and forums)

nyrtrublue
May 6th, 2006, 15:03
Keep up the great work!
I cant wait for the next release so i can see the progress.

kettle
May 6th, 2006, 15:21
proooo

infernomax
May 6th, 2006, 15:28
proooo

Thx for the Insight Dikwod

biabia8659
May 6th, 2006, 15:32
Keep up the great work

01cooperl
May 6th, 2006, 16:16
Thats great to hear!

Is was hearing some things that you were going to team up with Daedalus...
This would not only take the work load off you both, but double the progress of n64 emulation on the psp.

Is this actually going to happen?

Raydar
May 6th, 2006, 16:43
Amen to that!

sroon
May 6th, 2006, 16:54
Your doing awsome Monk!
Congrats!

slayer2psp
May 6th, 2006, 16:56
does anyone think it will ever be playable? great start and all but i just dont ever see any game running at 15fps to make it playable. i know nothing about coding but look at the trouble ms is having emu the xbox games on the 360 and these guys have all the money in the world and they are having a hell of time getting stuff to work. plus look at how bad the n64 emu run on the pc and i have a p4 3.2 and most games still play like crap. if these guys pull this off awsome if not still good try .

CoderX
May 6th, 2006, 16:58
They have 2 compleatly different emulators, If they continue to code sepratly monkeys emu will have a faster FPS in the end becouse the fact that his emu is based on similaritys with the psp hardwear, as well as it being native to the psp, the Daedalus EMU is a PC Port.

In the end Monkey is the better project
That is if he would code it insead of chating all the time
Its ok its my downfall also

acn010
May 6th, 2006, 16:59
ill wait!
//waiting//
ZZZ
ZZz
ZZZZZZzzzzzzZZZZ
ZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZzZ

shadowhawk22
May 6th, 2006, 17:19
Lol, basically that guy is saying that his PC isn't as strong as his PSP... Look, the PSP has the capabilities to basically run PS2 games on it. Although many things need to be dumbed down, it can handle a lot of graphics. Your PC should be able to run N64 emus and roms no problem, unless your system is just crappy... The fact is, when any system is adapted to another system there will be a slow down, UNLESS you can manage to get the memory run from hardware and from the operating system. It IS possible, and I look forward to the day I can play Mario 64 on my PSP!!!

Keep up the good work pal,

,Cheers

Harshboy
May 6th, 2006, 17:31
does anyone think it will ever be playable? great start and all but i just dont ever see any game running at 15fps to make it playable. i know nothing about coding but look at the trouble ms is having emu the xbox games on the 360 and these guys have all the money in the world and they are having a hell of time getting stuff to work. plus look at how bad the n64 emu run on the pc and i have a p4 3.2 and most games still play like crap. if these guys pull this off awsome if not still good try .

Well your PC sucks then. My dads freakin 5 year old laptop can play the games flawlessly. And my new PC is way better than yours.......Like i've said before, We should try to port Corn, seeing as it can run Mario 64 on a 200 Mhz P2 almost perfectly. But, this is so great!

felonyr301
May 6th, 2006, 17:47
that guys pc is crap if he cant run n64 games on it period....could be you got weak graphics probably integrated

jas0nuk
May 6th, 2006, 19:36
Well your PC sucks then. My dads freakin 5 year old laptop can play the games flawlessly. And my new PC is way better than yours.......Like i've said before, We should try to port Corn, seeing as it can run Mario 64 on a 200 Mhz P2 almost perfectly. But, this is so great!
The only reason Corn is so fast is because it is almost entirely coded in x86 (Intel/AMD) assembly, which makes it useless to port to the PSP, which uses a MIPS processor.

Voltron
May 7th, 2006, 00:06
Thank you for this update PSMonkey. There has been a ton of attention on the other N64 EMU but I wanted to tell you that you are still just as much appreciated and respected for your work. This is a noble project you are taking up and I commend you and give you much praise and thanks.

Great work!

ansonih88
May 7th, 2006, 15:36
WOW! I can't wait for the new N64 emulator to work. Sure will be great being able to play Zelda, Paper Mario, and alot of other titles.

PSP and N64 have got together-had sex-and PSP gave birth to a baby (Monkey 64) I can hardly wait for them to have more kids! :confused:

SSaxdude
May 7th, 2006, 20:55
Sweet, only a couple more days...

V3N0M
May 7th, 2006, 21:21
WOW! I can't wait for the new N64 emulator to work. Sure will be great being able to play Zelda, Paper Mario, and alot of other titles.

PSP and N64 have got together-had sex-and PSP gave birth to a baby (Monkey 64) I can hardly wait for them to have more kids! :confused:

LOL if only it were that easy. If anybody is wondering monkey gave me an explanation a while back when i PM him asking a very common question...Is it possible to emulate the N64 on the PSP? Another reason this is true is because he said that Zelda will eventually run at or near full speed and that game is 30 Mb. Speed and compatibility wise will probaly be a hundred percent because the N64 and the PSP is so close. Relalisticy it will be anywhere from 90% to 100% and all great games should run fine. Well this is what he said to me.....

PSmonkey
PSP Coder

Re: Please Read...Thank you for your answer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally Posted by JmanUmmKay
Hey psmonkey i had a question about the monkey 64 emu that are working on. I remmember you saying something about the psp is closer to the N64 than anything else. Now i know that you know an N64 emulater for the psp is infact possible because you wouldn't be working on one if didn't. so what i am asking is What makes you believe that the N64 Emu is possible on a PSP? Thanks

-Jman

What PSmonkey said......

Well both use simular processors. They both come from the same family with both have few things different. The n64 is a r4300 mips processor where the psp is a r4000 mips processor. The n64 is 64bit but 80% of the instructions are 32bit with a few special case instructions in 64bit. In terms of gpu, the n64 gpu is far weaker then the psp gpu yet the n64 has a pretty strong combinder but that could easly be solved via multi pass rendering on the psp ( and as long as textures are in vram, multi pass rendering is not very costly ).

Thats really about it. I've heavly discussed this with people who know n64 emulation like the back of their hand and it was well felt that with a solid recompiler, n64 emulation is more then posible (atleast on early roms like mario).

aleborri
May 8th, 2006, 10:32
"n64 emulation is more then posible (atleast on early roms like mario)."

:O

me_ben
May 9th, 2006, 08:48
just keep trying!!

V3N0M
May 9th, 2006, 09:14
"n64 emulation is more then posible (atleast on early roms like mario)."

:O

Ya thats what he thought at first but now due recent understandings, most games (all or close) will run at at least 30 fps - 60 fps. Never under estimate the power of the monkey lol.

vettacossx
May 9th, 2006, 10:08
you tell em jummkay....lol just read that quote down there by psmonkey on my signiture it says it all!

'faith leads to creation and creation leads to an ideas success "..PSMONKEY

bigdaddie
May 10th, 2006, 02:49
plus look at how bad the n64 emu run on the pc and i have a p4 3.2 and most games still play like crap.
Have you never heard of project 64 :confused: , games play better then on the original N64 :D

V3N0M
May 10th, 2006, 02:59
Yes i have. Hopefully someday the N64 emu's for psp will be like that.

Slayer probaly does not have a good video card because N64 Emu's work flawlessly

joshk525
May 10th, 2006, 05:52
did you just say monkeys emu will run 30-60 fps