PDA

View Full Version : An N-gage emulator?

Eleetist
May 6th, 2006, 15:04
The N-gage is a severely under appreciated games machine and it had quite a lot of excellent games and considering the games are made for a portable platform they would fit the PSP like a glove. The only possible problem with it would be the lack of even a PC emulator for people to port, although I had heard of one existing, but being cleaned up for release. I'm just trying to find out if it's possible and what people think of the idea, so opinions are welcome.

infernomax
May 6th, 2006, 15:11
Were there many innovative titles for the N-gage all i seem to remember was TOny Hawk and Sonic ports , although i never did have an NGAGE

Zion
May 6th, 2006, 15:31
That would be nice.

kfish2oo2
May 6th, 2006, 16:13
An N-Gage enulator would be fantastic... I had an ole 'Gage for a while and the games where actually pretty cool, Sonic especially. But the only problem is that the games are still being released....[checks www.n-gage.com]... OK, were being released untill very recently... Hey, wait look they're STILL making games for the thing... WOW. Anyway, Nokia's not gonna be happy with an emu. They closed down hundreds of sites that were hosting cracks and as far as I remember I think they even sued a few people.
But if it can be done, that'll be pretty cool.

Harshboy
May 6th, 2006, 17:10
I used to own and N-Gage (The original Taco one) and i must say, for $79 it blew the GBA away! It had great games, and some cool emulators. I used it to play SNES, NES, and GBC. Even videos and MP3's. Web Browsing was nice too :) I'm thinking of buying a QD just for hombrew and cracks/hacks. I sold my old one when i got my PSP. QD's are only like $100, right?

jrsmaster411
May 6th, 2006, 18:20
Are you all serious or is this some sick joke n-gage isnt cool

Eleetist
May 6th, 2006, 18:32
jrsmaster stop being idiotic, the only flaw the N-gage had as a games machine was being compared to a console all the time, when it was actually more of a phone than anything else. It looks kind of stupid and sidetalking is downright hilarious but as an all-in-one device there wasn't anything that could match it until the PSP came out and the PSP isn't a phone (yet) :), plus it had amazing games that were only let down by the limitations of the device. I still use mine as a phone/mp3 player, and I would love to see those excellent games brought back to life on the PSP.

L.E. A couple of minutes of searching revealed that I was taking a rather simplistic approach to imagining the N-gage emulator. Apparently this kind of program should emulate the series 60 symbian OS, which is by no means a bad thing, as there are loads more great symbian games that the PSP would benefit from, but it doesn't sound very doable.

Harshboy
May 6th, 2006, 20:31
Also, if we can acomplish S60 emulation, then we can also use that emulator that will emulate the N-Gage roms. Basicly like this

PSP Emulates S60
S60 Emulates N-Gage Games (Just the games)

But i dont think N-Gage emulation will ever happen due to the fact it is more powerfull than the GBA, one might even compare it to a DS....sigh....

Cooe14
May 6th, 2006, 21:45
Also, if we can acomplish S60 emulation, then we can also use that emulator that will emulate the N-Gage roms. Basicly like this

PSP Emulates S60
S60 Emulates N-Gage Games (Just the games)

But i dont think N-Gage emulation will ever happen due to the fact it is more powerfull than the GBA, one might even compare it to a DS....sigh....
You CAN'T compare the N-Gage to the DS you just can't.

psiko_scweek
May 9th, 2006, 13:48
a Sybian OS emulator would be sick -- as it looks the PSP can play any game from almost any system.

tsurumaru
May 9th, 2006, 17:05
Imagine all those Symbian Aps too!

kevho
May 10th, 2006, 18:47
make on e for me plz i want one

Wally
May 11th, 2006, 04:52
What more could you people possibly want?

Cap'n 1time
May 11th, 2006, 06:49
What more could you people possibly want?

a bucket of rocks (INSIDE JOKE!)

Kaiser
May 11th, 2006, 06:51
a bucket of rocks (INSIDE JOKE!)

lol

BALL_SAC
May 13th, 2006, 05:25
I think a N-Gage emulator is impossable, the graphics and textures are just to much for the psp to handle. The PSP is indeed more powerful than the N-Gage, but not a enough power to emulate it. I have been told before that a system must be at least 10X more powerful than the actual system to be able to emulate it.

stotheamuel
May 13th, 2006, 07:17
I think a N-Gage emulator is impossable, the graphics and textures are just to much for the psp to handle. The PSP is indeed more powerful than the N-Gage, but not a enough power to emulate it. I have been told before that a system must be at least 10X more powerful than the actual system to be able to emulate it.

hmmm n64...=94 mhz... X10 = 940 mhz.... practicly an xbox (1ghz)

Im glad my psp is as powerfull as my xbox... (cuz psp can and will emulate n64)

Eleetist
May 13th, 2006, 14:40
The N-gage is less powerful than a GBA or a PS1, and they are emulated by a PSP. The question, however, is whether the N-gage's processor uses instructions that can pe emulated by the PSP's, and whether the symbian operating system, which would need to be ported first, and which usually runs of a phone's ROM can be ported and emulated on a PSP. Power is less important than the potential for compatibility, and the above questions are hard to answer.

BALL_SAC
May 14th, 2006, 00:05
The N-gage is less powerful than a GBA or a PS1, and they are emulated by a PSP. The question, however, is whether the N-gage's processor uses instructions that can pe emulated by the PSP's, and whether the symbian operating system, which would need to be ported first, and which usually runs of a phone's ROM can be ported and emulated on a PSP. Power is less important than the potential for compatibility, and the above questions are hard to answer.

I dont know about the gba being more powerful that the N-Gage... But I dont think you can even get N-Gage roms anywhere.

Eleetist
May 17th, 2006, 19:01
If anyone feels they have a clear answer to this (coders obviously), feel free to post, though I can see why a developer would keep away from this particular place in the forum :)

robotdevil
May 18th, 2006, 13:21
XBOX is only 730MHz (maybe 750MHz, I forget). Still not 10x. And it depends on a multitude of other things, size of the OS (after loading), compatability of code, number of processors to emulate and the method the system uses for loading. XBOX has an easier time of emulation for two reasons;

1: More RAM (stock was 64MB)

2: PC that runs Linux

XBOX is not more powerfull, but it is easier to code for thus giving homebrew people the ability to make use of more of it's power. 60% of 100 is still less than 90% of 80. Just to give you some numbers to chew.

Eleetist
May 18th, 2006, 14:36
Just what I was trying to say, but more eloquently put by someone who knows a bit more than me about this stuff :D Still waiting though...

MUDD
June 22nd, 2006, 03:38
this would be nice and i have some ngage roms.
if a emu is ever made ill torrent them anytime

Starscream
June 22nd, 2006, 23:01
Instead of a NGage specific (or Symbian) emu, how about a Java VM? It could run some games (and apps..) which also run on the NGage and other phones, right? Is the PSP fast enough for that?

psiko_scweek
July 4th, 2006, 16:20
a JavaVM would be a lot. But still, the Ngage games dont run off of Java. Eithereway, there are not any PC NGage emulators as of yet anyways, so becayse of that there are no way we can get an Ngage emulator for hte PSP

Gizmo356
July 4th, 2006, 16:54
that would be awsome

acn010
July 4th, 2006, 16:59
i don't know, ngauge sucks in history of video games hardware, but it would be nice, to try it

halo200x
July 6th, 2006, 22:23
I would love to play The Elder Scrolls: ShadowKey on my psp...

Azazel_29a
October 1st, 2008, 07:16
a Sybian OS emulator for the psp would open a world of appz. like skyfire. full flash support web browser :) and would love to see a .sisx or .sis emu for psp.