PDA

View Full Version : Sony Selling Digital PSP Releases At Retail Prices

wraggster
September 3rd, 2009, 18:09
Gran Turismo rolls out on October 1st on disc and as a PlayStation Store download. SCEA announced both versions will cost $39.99.

A stand-alone version of Gran Turismo will be available on UMD and as a digital download on the PlayStation Network on October 1 for $39.99 (MSRP).

This is a shift from Sony’s strategy in Japan, which is selling downloadable versions at a discount. Sony began simultaneously releasing PSP games in stores and on the PlayStation Store in Japan last year. Downloadable versions have always been cheaper there, usually around $10 less. Even third party publishers like Irem are following suit with two tier pricing.

Unfortunately, digital releases of new PSP games cost the same as a boxed game in North America. Shin Megami Tensei: Persona from Atlus will be the first digital/retail release here. It will retail $39.99 in stores and on the PlayStation Store. In addition to getting a UMD, the physical copy of Persona also comes with a two disc soundtrack. It’s easy to see who is getting a better deal.

If Sony is really planning a digital push they should offer an incentive for the downloadable version since it can’t be resold. Well, technically Sony is offering an incentive by discounting downloadable versions, but that’s only for Japan.

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/09/03/sony-selling-digital-psp-releases-at-retail-prices/

Hmm i for one will stick to buying the UMD, aint no way am i paying the same price for a digital version that costs them nothing to produce (case, umd, manual etc)

Who else thinks its a barmy move to sell at the same price ?

fpcreator2000
September 3rd, 2009, 19:43
Mighty white of Sony to be pricing both digital and physical at the same price (actually pretty stupid, but that is just me). I guess they figure that a lot of people are going to get the PSP Go. We'll see.

Shrygue
September 3rd, 2009, 20:01
What, boxed and digital downloads of games at the same price? Ouch, not good. I bet Sony will be making a a small packet on the latter as they won't need to pay costs for materials to make the box, disk and manual of a title, along with extras if any are included.

ojdon
September 3rd, 2009, 20:26
Wait... So Manufacting doesn't cost anything? ;)

Ah, Sony can't do anything without trying to squeeze out every last penny out of their customers. I'm pretty sure they're going to eventually regret it.

osgeld
September 3rd, 2009, 20:30

Ah, Sony can't do anything without trying to squeeze out every last penny out of their customers. I'm pretty sure they're going to eventually regret it.

My thoughts exactly

apex05
September 3rd, 2009, 20:53
Now Sony's just taking the piss... i know they greedy but if they can't even knock a token $5 off for people unfortunate enough to be stuck with Sony's total monopoly on Psp go games, i'm really hoping this new Google Android gaming platform takes off because that has a better chance than Pandora for getting decent retail games, then i can finish my dealings with Fony.

Paris/Tokyo
September 3rd, 2009, 21:05
They probably have to sell them at MSRP so retailers don't abandon everything PlayStation related. Atleast I can understand that.. but I still don't get why PSP Go has less features than a PSP but is $50 less than a PS3.

mike_jmg
September 3rd, 2009, 21:22

Maybe it doesn't, or the cost is very low, but in the end $ony is plain stupid and we all knew about that

ojdon
September 3rd, 2009, 22:13
I demand free UMD Cases now with blank UMDs if that's the case. :P

booradley1212
September 4th, 2009, 00:20
nobody actually buys games for the psp anyway. they know the deal. to hell with them.

apex05
September 4th, 2009, 00:54
Anyone actually know the cost to put a game on umd and wholesale cost before stores make their profit?

NoQuarter
September 4th, 2009, 03:34
Lame move Sony. I love your hardware but not your policies. Of course it'll probably be hacked :)
That line about the battery not being removable to prevent pandora style attacks is complete bullshit. They just want more money for replacement ala Apple.
I'm one of the few who buys UMD games ( albeit very few) , way to piss off the loyal fan base...

royvedas
September 4th, 2009, 06:49
This is the way it's gonna be in the future. Monopoly pricing. Don't f***ing buy these digital downloads. Think for instance about "Games on Demand" for 360. Older games like Battlefield Bad Company sells for something like £35 (converted from my evil danish marketplace prices.) You can get this for around 10£ on disc these days. Think about a world only with "games on demand". Only thing to do is to stop buying this DLC shit.

B2K24
September 4th, 2009, 07:49
For a really good game i will still pay $40 at launch reguardless if digital or UMD

Lets say there will be no more CFW updates and no one will crack the 3000 or 5.55 protection then in this instance digital is better product then the UMD because playing from UMD is horrible.

John Vattic
September 4th, 2009, 07:58
Hmm i for one will stick to buying the UMD, aint no way am i paying the same price for a digital version that costs them nothing to produce (case, umd, manual etc)
[/B]

I couldn't agree more. I buy games to put on my shelf when i need them.

Also digital downloads puts more cost on the consumer as far as internet usage, memory card, etc. And furthermore digital cuts jobs in the manufacturing industry. Thats all we need is more jobs cut in this whoribly managed world economy.

Just my 2 cents.

ojdon
September 4th, 2009, 09:40
Lame move Sony. I love your hardware but not your policies. Of course it'll probably be hacked :)
That line about the battery not being removable to prevent pandora style attacks is complete bullshit. They just want more money for replacement ala Apple.
I'm one of the few who buys UMD games ( albeit very few) , way to piss off the loyal fan base...

That battery comment is so true, if that was the case, then why didn't they do it for the 2000 model... And the 3000 model... As well. Were they just interested in making it pretty much the same model just a few millimetres thinner with maybe one or two new features so they can charge full price for the PSP.

I'm glad I stuck with my 1000 model now.

apex05
September 4th, 2009, 16:24
Just realised i'd lose even more money if i ended up trying to sell a Psp go.. if i bought say 10 umd's i could add £40-50 extra if i sold my slim, but i very much doubt Sony would allow you to transfer ownership of digital copies to another person's account.

NoQuarter
September 4th, 2009, 16:47
I'm definitely buying a copy of tekken6 on the release date. What if I want to let a friend play it on his psp? Or trade for a short while? That's just not possible with digital downloads. I might be persuaded to go that route if they were cheaper for the downloads. Point is there are loads of reasons for owning hard copies of games you really like, not so many reasons for digital copies that can't be downloaded to other peoples psps.

This sort of policy just gives pirates more reasons to do what they do (of course they'll do it anyway)!