PDA

View Full Version : The Evolution of the Dreamcast Scene

DCEmu_Newsposter
May 4th, 2004, 19:35
With the fantastic news that a new SelfBoot Inducer is being worked on by one of the Dreamcast Scenes Finest BurnerO, this brings me to a discussion that all Dreamcast Scene site ops and fans must join in.[br][br]The Dreamcast scene covers a massive amount of Homebrew, Emulation and Development downloads and maybe its now time to have an industry standard and i believe that the new Selfboot Inducer is the way forward and when each sites offers downloads we offer in Plain and SBI file flavours only.[br][br]That way newcomers and oldtimers can burn new homebrew and we as site ops, webmasters etc only have to worry about 2 types of files.[br][br]For the fans it means less wasting of CDS because you can put multiple items on one cd.[br][br]Any thoughts on the matter, as webmaster of here with LyonHrt we want to make this site the best but the scene will be better when people listen.

curt_grymala
May 4th, 2004, 20:12
I think this sounds like a good plan. I know there are some people that will be upset about it, because they prefer to use CDI and NRG files, but I don't see any reason why we can't focus more attention on writing good tutorials explaining how to selfboot plain files, and focus less attention to trying to provide everything for everybody.

Another option would be to provide just SBI and CDI downloads, and include a "readme" with each CDI download that inlcudes much of the same information included in the "What Do I Do With CDI/NRG Files" tutorial on DCStuff. Although, I think that option is a little less desirable than the first option.

MetaFox
May 4th, 2004, 22:58
I definately agree. That's the way BurnerO set up Consolevision when he was updating the DC section. When people suggested that Consolevision carry CDI or NRG images, I had stated that there is no sense in that, as Selfboot Inducer creates NRG or CDI images from the SBI files.

Hosting image files is a waste of time, and most importantly, server space, in my opinion. I've never felt that they were necessary, at least not since Selfboot Inducer was created.

wraggster
May 4th, 2004, 23:16
for v2 of this site and also v3 of DChomebrew ill take away the unnessacary cdi / nrg files, i like you two see no need for images for demos especially when we have self boot inducer.

Nice to see you Metafox :)

Hope things are better at home mate.

curt_grymala
May 5th, 2004, 00:02
It is important, though, if you are going to host SBI files, to make sure that your server supports SBI files. At the moment (at least, last time I checked), the SBI files hosted on this site all have zip extensions.

wraggster
May 5th, 2004, 00:07
all problems will be ironed out with v2 :)

curt_grymala
May 5th, 2004, 00:12
That's basically what I figured. I know how that goes.

Ian_micheal
May 5th, 2004, 00:15
Well If every site carrys SBI files whats the use of SBIFFY?

curt_grymala
May 5th, 2004, 00:53
That's a good point Ian Micheal, and I think that is a point that should be taken into consideration. I do believe that every SBI file should be hosted on Sbiffy!, but I still have mixed feelings as to whether other sites should host SBI files. Maybe everyone should just refer to Sbiffy! Maybe I can get upload privs at Sbiffy!, so that the database can be updated more often.

MetaFox
May 5th, 2004, 06:15
Well If every site carrys SBI files whats the use of SBIFFY?SBI files without the hassle. All sbi files are listed on one page under the appropriate categories, so it's just click and download.

Sbiffy will always cater to those who want a quick download, for those who want screenshots and descriptions, they can get the SBIs from DCEmu, DCHomebrew, Consolevision, or DCEmu.co.uk.

The sites can co-exist. You can have your cake, and eat it too - in essense.

Nice to see you Metafox

Hope things are better at home mate.Thanks. :)

Things are getting better. My grandfather is in a nursing home now, but it gives my grandmother a much needed break. I was more concerned about her than him to tell you the truth, because she was never able to sleep because she had to tend to him all the time.

Maybe I can get upload privs at Sbiffy!, so that the database can be updated more often.I can set you up with that. Just PM me at any of the sites and I'll set you up.

quzar
May 5th, 2004, 06:53
:( i use cdi=>nrg for all my DC goodness... either that or elf/bin loading onto DC. plainfiles should always be hosted too!

MetaFox
May 5th, 2004, 08:02
:( i use cdi=>nrg for all my DC goodness... either that or elf/bin loading onto DC. plainfiles should always be hosted too!I personally use Selfboot Inducer's Inducer directory with IP.bin and plain files for all my selfbooting needs.

And to quote Wraggster from the beginning of the topic:

Selfboot Inducer is the way forward and when each sites offers downloads we offer in Plain and SBI file flavours only.Plain Files will of course always be offered. If you want CDI or NRG images, just use Selfboot Inducer. If you don't want a Dream Inducer disc, do what I mentioned above. It's so simple nowadays to make a selfbooting disc for the Dreamcast, there's no sense wasting bandwidth on images for Windows burning programs.

quzar
May 5th, 2004, 08:06
I thought he was saying there would be a total move from mostly plain and sbi (along with nrg and cdi) to just sbi. Ok, thats good ;D

blackpuma
May 5th, 2004, 09:40
I agree with the good tutorials solution. Also with plain files there is the great selfboot tool that selfboots any folder with ip.bin & 1st_read.bin. :D

Ian_micheal
May 5th, 2004, 10:03
Still Sbiffy is the sbi site. Just dont see it being used like it is if every site carrys it stops it from being the place.

Fullversion home brew games are better as cdi image and also lets it look and feel better with a nice cover. Plain files Let people make an sbi of any thing. Just with curt on it. Mixed feelings there I think sites should send a link for an sbi to sbiffy not carry the files. Just makes more sence to me. It is the hub of that type of thing and it would stop a lot of hits going to sbiffy no doubt. Why go there sign up when you can just get the same files on 4 sites..

I do think sbiffy is a great site every one that knows what there doing is right there.

wraggster
May 5th, 2004, 17:27
i think for small demos though cdi images arent needed

curt_grymala
May 5th, 2004, 18:52
Fullversion home brew games are better as cdi image and also lets it look and feel better with a nice cover.

That's a matter of personal preference, and the plain files would allow people to create a CDI of it, if they wanted to, or simply burn it on a multisession disc for use with demomenu, etc.

I do think that maybe a site could even get away with simply hosting plain files, and have good tutorials on how to create CDI/NEG images from them, or how to burn multisession discs with them.

I don't see any problem with other sites hosting SBI's, except for the fiasco that we all went through when burnerO updated from v2.1 to v3.0. I believe there are still links floating around out there for v2.1 SBI's, and that can really be a hassle for people trying to use Selfboot Inducer. If burnerO does it again, when he puts out v4 (or whatever it will be called), then we are going to have a whole lot of sites that are still linking to v3 SBI's (or possibly even v2.1 SBI's).

That's one of the reasons I am trying to figure out what is missing from Sbiffy!, so that we can tell people they don't have to get their SBI's from anywhere but there. Also, it will make it a whole lot easier to update everything if v3 SBI's are no longer compatible with the new version of Selfboot Inducer. That will be a major task that I am willing to take on head first, if and when it ever comes up, but it will be a whole lot easier if there is only one site I have to keep up to date.

Maybe, instead of hosting SBI's on DCEmu UK, you can simply link to the files that are hosted on Sbiffy! instead. Maybe Sbiffy! will even get an overhaul, who knows. That might be something I suggest to burnerO next time we talk (and after I get everything with DCStuff straightened out).

DemoniusX
May 5th, 2004, 22:44
I like SBI's put multi things on one CD-r, don't have to use much CDs for emulated stuff is a good thing :}

MetaFox
May 6th, 2004, 02:47
Still Sbiffy is the sbi site. Just dont see it being used like it is if every site carrys it stops it from being the place.You are aware that Consolevision and DCHomebrew carry SBI files already, right? I don't see that stopping anyone from sending people to Sbiffy for SBI files. Like I said, all sites can cater to SBI files, and Sbiffy can remain the hub. It's been done before, it will continue to be so in the future.

Fullversion home brew games are better as cdi image and also lets it look and feel better with a nice cover.I disagree there. If you supply plain files, it's so easy to make selfbooting homebrew from plain files nowadays - it's a waste to have image files on a server. Not everyone uses Windows, and Discjuggler and Nero are Windows only programs. Selfboot Inducer is available for Linux and Macintosh, so for those people not wanting to selfboot their own programs or for a DreamInducer disc, then SBI is the format for them.

Fullversion home brew games are better as cdi image and also lets it look and feel better with a nice cover. Plain files Let people make an sbi of any thing. Just with curt on it.It's not easy to just make an SBI from plain files if you aren't used to it. With SBIs you just download, run Selfboot Inducer, and create an image. It's simple. If you do it yourself, you have to descramble the binary, make a DXL, make an image, zip it up with the proper directories, rename the zip SBI, then run Selfboot Inducer.

I think sites should send a link for an sbi to sbiffy not carry the files. Just makes more sence to me. It is the hub of that type of thing and it would stop a lot of hits going to sbiffy no doubt. Why go there sign up when you can just get the same files on 4 sites..First of all, you don't have to sign up at Sbiffy to download anymore. Second of all, like I said - DCHomebrew and Consolevision already carry SBIs. It hasn't stopped traffic coming into Sbiffy. Having the few remaining sites conform to this standard isn't going to hurt Sbiffy.

WHurricane16
May 6th, 2004, 03:05
I'm I still the only person on the planet who has never bother to use a .sbi?

curt_grymala
May 6th, 2004, 03:17
Not the only person. ;D You might want to try it out. It's very simple. If you don't like it, don't use it, but it's worth a try, isn't it?

law
May 6th, 2004, 10:45
i think sbiffy should stay main source for sbis. And im all for plain files only on here ;D

just my 2 eurocents

BlackAura
May 6th, 2004, 11:24
Selfboot Inducer is available for Linux and Macintosh, so for those people not wanting to selfboot their own programs or for a DreamInducer disc, then SBI is the format for them.

Well... Kinda. Selfboot Inducer itself only works on Windows (although I think it works partially on Linux using WINE), and on the Mac you have Mac Inducer, which does pretty much the same thing.

On Linux, they're generally just ZIP files with a different extension, so they aren't much different from plain files. I did write a pair of shell scripts which did the same thing as Selfboot Inducer without the GUI, but I had some problems with some SBI files putting things in the wrong directory. I actually know how to fix that now, but I never got around to it.

curt_grymala
May 6th, 2004, 13:45
In addition, at one point, the guy who was doing the Mac Inducer said that normal SBI files don't really work all that well, because the Mac is case-sensitive when extracting the files. So, "games" and "Games" would actually be two separate directories.

That shouldn't be a real problem anymore, since I am doing 95% of the new SBI's, and I have directories set up on my computer so that they will always be the same.

Propeller
May 6th, 2004, 14:53
Well, we have the example of some sites that promote their software at some websites, even at their own website, and then at download time, they redirect the user to sourceforge downloads site... That's the quickest example.

Maybe sbiffy is the sourceforge of our "dreams" ;D

Propeller

curt_grymala
May 6th, 2004, 17:18
Makes sense to me.

Christuserloeser
May 6th, 2004, 20:01
Maybe, instead of hosting SBI's on DCEmu UK, you can simply link to the files that are hosted on Sbiffy! instead. *Maybe Sbiffy! will even get an overhaul, who knows. *That might be something I suggest to burnerO next time we talk (and after I get everything with DCStuff straightened out).

I really like the way SBIFFY looks 8)

I am for releasing plain files AND CDIs + linking the SBI so everyone get what they want.