PDA

View Full Version : Airports vending GBA, PSP portables

wraggster
May 8th, 2006, 06:32
via Joystiq (http://www.joystiq.com/2006/05/07/airports-vending-gba-psp-portables/)

I took a 9:30 a.m. EST flight out of Atlanta this morning, en route to Los Angeles, and on the way to gate A17 I happened upon the latest in vending machine technology: the Zoom Shop. Using the touch screen to the right, one can purchase (with an accepted credit card) any number of little gadgets to enjoy on the flight: all styles of iPod and associated accessories, along with some gaming goodies care of a Nintendo Game Boy Advance SP ($79.99) and Sony PSP ($249.99). A convenience for sure, but there weren't any games to buy -- what a tease!

Screenshot Via Comments

Wally
May 8th, 2006, 06:54
I dont see any screenshots :)

-- Here you go --

http://www.joystiq.com/media/2006/05/Zoom-Shop-airport-PSP-GBA.jpg

John Vattic
May 8th, 2006, 07:31
so they're selling units out of a vending machine?

really strange.

and no games or mvies to buy too?

what would one do with their new psp/gba?

CoderX
May 8th, 2006, 07:40
The no game thing realy sucks

Sterist
May 8th, 2006, 08:53
those might be 2.00s

Murdock
May 8th, 2006, 10:55
I think the Idea of selling the PSPs (and GBAs, too of course) that way is a great thing! Why not? Preparing for a long flight by buying a PSP :)

But As already said before: selling NO games at the same time makes no sense. What kind of PSP package was that? Not even a DEMO Disc included? I mean with atleast a Demo Disc, the PSP would at least be usable.

But have u ever thought about the fact that the Battery is empty when u buy a PSP? Or do airplanes now have sockets? I have't seen one when flying from Germany to lLondon (maybe on airplanes that fly intercontinental?)

gotmilk0112
May 8th, 2006, 12:31
wow what a dumb idea! system but no games... weird..... :p

gotmilk0112
May 8th, 2006, 12:33
I think the Idea of selling the PSPs (and GBAs, too of course) that way is a great thing! Why not? Preparing for a long flight by buying a PSP :)

But As already said before: selling NO games at the same time makes no sense. What kind of PSP package was that? Not even a DEMO Disc included? I mean with atleast a Demo Disc, the PSP would at least be usable.

But have u ever thought about the fact that the Battery is empty when u buy a PSP? Or do airplanes now have sockets? I have't seen one when flying from Germany to lLondon (maybe on airplanes that fly intercontinental?)
when i bought my psps the battery was at 57%. i turned it on without charging it at all and it said
Battery Level: 57% after i got through the setup.

bandit
May 8th, 2006, 12:55
Airplanes have sockets, but not regular power plugs. They use the car adapters.

PSmonkey
May 8th, 2006, 14:07
man, the people who started this did not think things though. I mean really how good is buying an ipod for the flight when it wont have any music on it.

I think GBA, DS & PSP are a good idea providing they actualy put movies & games in there. Then people will have something to do while on flight.

--edit--
The only good thing about this is if its in the international section. It has to be tax free. :D :D

DraconumPB
May 8th, 2006, 15:16
Well if you've got your laptop with you as well, at least you can put music on your ipod (although you'd be able to listen to music on your laptop as well...) and, er, homebrew on your psp =p (assuming it's homebrew compatible).

Now that's a heck of a lot of hassle for someone rushing to catch a flight... good idea, bad execution.

Besides, by the time you COULD go and buy a game, say when you reached your destination, you'd be somewhere that also sold the systems anyway. so your rush-buying of the system wouldn't net you anything but eh... the difference due to tax. That is, if it IS in a tax-free zone.

Cap'n 1time
May 8th, 2006, 15:40
GBA SP's come precharged btw :)

Emeriastone
May 8th, 2006, 16:26
Incredible

cartmandude14
May 8th, 2006, 20:28
dont things drop down from the rack in a vending machine? that could brake the psp/ipod/gb

Gamelver
May 8th, 2006, 20:39
I highly doubt they'd just let these things fall down for you to pick them up :p...

but yeah, it is rather stupid....perhaps if elsewhere in the airport games are sold, then it'd be good for someone with a spare $300 to get something to do on the plane...

m64fan
May 8th, 2006, 21:25
it might bring a demo disk since it's the full $250 pack.

Wally
May 9th, 2006, 00:16
Well its an easier way to buy duty free i would imagine :)

If these vending machines had games they would have to put the games all on one rack as they dont have much space in them. UMD movies would be the same. Usually a variety would work. 5 types of games (in genre) on 5 shelves.

Like it has been mentioned before you would need to consider a laptop to either put homebrew on it or music even. Thats when the homebrew portals come in handy (rom portal would be another scenario)