PDA

View Full Version : Yet Another NetHack Release - v1.0d with Keyboard Interface

IveGotThePawa
May 8th, 2006, 15:25
"NetHack (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NetHack) is a roguelike [RPG] computer game originally released in 1987 [...]

The player takes the part of a dungeon-delving hero in search of the Amulet of Yendor. The quest spans more than 50 levels, most of which are randomly created. Each level contains monsters, weaponry, magical items, hidden doors and much more."

As promised, this game is now fully playable on the PSP!

Fixed since 1.0c :

Keyboard interface for text prompts (Wishing, naming items, etc.)
Fixed the bug of headers that would interfeer in the item selection dialog
Added a way to go back up a menu when you've highlighted the last item (and vice versa)
Correctly fixed to always select first item in a menu if no default is found (was buggy in some cases)
Splitted the context menu in two columns and added many more commands
Enabled #enhancing your skills
Fixed Diagonal movements, added some buttons to facilitate things.
You can now apply something to yourself or in any direction you might want to.
You can now apply an Orb (crystal ball), it will now bring out the soft-keyboard to select a single character.
Enabled engraving with your fingers
Enabled analog stick for scrolling pop-ups that are too big for display

More to come :

Help menu item selection -> Add a "Select all" / "Unselect All" / "Invert Selection" keys
Remove the perm_lock feature, as it can cause problems on the PSP when crashing
A contextual menu for the 'Inventory' screen
Disable calling the context menu more than once.
Reenable the top-ten listing when dying or quitting
Enable Nethack Sounds.
A PSP Specific menu, to get the time, battery charge, etc.
Enable custom key mapping (thanks Glynnder and Genki)
Display the damage made by the player (default to off, thanks Genki)
Internet high score server and bones servers - Maybe (thanks Genki)
Mp3 player built in. It gets pretty quiet when playing nethack for hours on end. (thanks Genki and many others)
Enable PSP help (thanks Megalodon)
Any other suggestions?

Credits
Nethack 3.4.3 (PSP-1.0c)
Based on glHack by Andrew Apted
Ported to the PSP by VirtuaMUnstaz
Taken up by IveGotThePawa

See license for terms and conditions of use.

For the latest updates, button configuration, help,
screenshots and feedback. visit our site :

http://pspnethack.zapto.org/

Thanks

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Chalkbot
May 8th, 2006, 20:56
Sweet! I've been waiting for this. Thanks for the hard work ;)

IveGotThePawa
May 9th, 2006, 00:35
Sweet! I've been waiting for this. Thanks for the hard work ;)

Well its been my pleasure. I'm really having fun. Can't wait to dig deeper into the code and add a MP3 player into it.

Thanks

gnazzah
May 11th, 2006, 15:18
It seems I've been posting on an abandoned thread, so here's my adoption on the abigabi tileset for PSP in this post also:

I've now checked and double checked. The tileset is now 100% correct. To use instead of the original tileset do as follows:

Save this image to your PSP games NetHack folder and rename/replace it with the existing file gltile16.png.

That's it! :)

http://f5.putfile.com/5/13009545610.png

Revisions since the previous:
Added Ixoth, shades, ghosts, corrected Cyclops. Some monsters were wrong, as were some of the robes, boots, potions, traps and weapons. Nothing big there, and nothing that ruins gameplay. I've made all floors black. A very light shade on the corridors is added. Magic tools are now magic. Other unmentionable tweaks here and there. Have fun!

The colors are RGB, millions. For a more crisp display use the 256 color version below.

http://f5.putfile.com/5/13010154839.png

IveGotThePawa
May 11th, 2006, 17:47
I've now checked and double checked. The tileset is now 100% correct.

Amazing!

You're one hell of an artist!

Pawa

P.S. Do you mind if I post it on my website too? I'm sure some gamers from other sites than DCEMU (shame on them) will like to get there hands on it too!

gnazzah
May 11th, 2006, 19:34
Well. This is not at all not my work alone! Far from it! The originals (as far as I know) are to be found at darkarts (http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/nhtiles/tilesets/). I could not find anyone to give credit to there or anywhere else. Some few modifications are mine, but those are not more than 1%. Idea, producion and everything else is not mine to take cred for. So it feels wrong also to give permission, or deny it, to someone who wish to do anything with this gem. Other than link back to where the source is found. Hopefully someone emerges to be saluted. The work is beautiful and needs some worshipping. :p

Genki
May 11th, 2006, 20:37
Finally finished! I had to reduce the tiles because the port uses the tiles in gltile16.png (you don't need the other two files, actually). All monsters are supposed to be correct, all major ones are anyway (correct here is meaning both accurate towards the game characters and towards the original tileset abigabi (http://www.darkarts.co.za/projects/noegnud/downloads/0.8.4/Data%20Extras/noegnud-0.8.0_data-tileset-abigabi.tar.bz2)). I've had to fill in some blanks where the original tilset has some monsters not included in the game or the abigabi one. I also did a redesign or modification on some monsters, like the golems, that I felt wasn't 100% in the original. Some places I had to guess which tiles went where, so towards the original I might miss a few shots, but in context everything should be in order. This especially applies to wand zaps, but also walls in Gehennom and such. Please test and let me know how to improve this. Replace the gltile16.png with this and you're done.

http://f5.putfile.com/5/12906333928.png

PS: It would be great if the 32x32 tiles could be used instead...

Um...Hell yeah the 32x32 tiles could be used! even 64x64!

It's all on the old nethack thread, But I'll repost it here anyway...

You wouldnt know of any good tiles with monsters instead of letters though, would you?

I love the tileset by the way!

Try setting a new options in the .nethackrc file

OPTIONS=tile_height:16
OPTIONS=tile_height:32

or

OPTIONS=tile_height:64

depending on the file you want to use (gltile16.png, gltile32.png, gltile64.png)

It seems to work for me!

Pawa

OH, And Hey, Pawa, About the internet bones files server, it's already been done, By a nice litle prgram called hearse. I'm sure if you check it out, They might be able to help you understand it better...
http://hearse.krollmark.com/
It's a very nifty little system...

and in terms of the internet acess...I think the libarary netlib could handle that (it's a library for the psp that someone made).

And as for the mp3, I think they have an opensource library for that on the psp, I can look around if you want...

I'd really love to help, Is there anyway I could, other than the feedback?

gnazzah
May 11th, 2006, 21:44
Tried the OPTIONS=tile_height:32 and it works like a charm. A bit on the hazy side orientational wise, but looks good. Really good! You could always use the ascii-mode (TOP LEFT-TOP RIGHT-Select) for a mini map. Hey! What about a real mini map insted? One that floats in a corner all along? You hear Pawa? Anyways. This is for the near-sighted of the lot of you. I'm linking this due to the rather heavy file. Good luck: :p

32x32 pixels wide abigabi revised tileset (http://f5.putfile.com/5/13016113447.png)

You wouldnt know of any good tiles with monsters instead of letters though, would you?
Nope. And the reason is that that's nearly impossible. There are around 400 unique monsters and characters in NetHack. To make all those stand out and be distinguashable (and good-looking) is too much a job for most amateurs to do. The character/font/colour/stash type of tiles is in my opinion the nearest you'll ever get a playable and beautiful experience in NetHack. Learn to live with it. Or make some tiles yourself. ;) You could start here (http://www.juiblex.co.uk/nethack/VernonSpoilers/MonsterManual/contents.html) ...

gnazzah
May 12th, 2006, 11:17
A quick suggestion: Move the function 'previous message' to the Start button menu and replace it with 'repeat last action'. It's quite tedious to kick in doors, quaff a lot of potions etc.

megalodon
May 12th, 2006, 13:00
A quick suggestion: Move the function 'previous message' to the Start button menu and replace it with 'repeat last action'. It's quite tedious to kick in doors, quaff a lot of potions etc.

Agreed! A very good idea! :)

gnazzah
May 12th, 2006, 15:40
If you decide it's doable and you try making one, here's a tileset for a minimap with only the bare essentials. Nothing but walls, character and furniture.

EDIT: The graphics are white on transparent background, except the characters that are in red. That's why the image is rather dull... :p

IveGotThePawa
May 13th, 2006, 01:34
So it feels wrong also to give permission, or deny it, to someone who wish to do anything with this gem. Other than link back to where the source is found. Hopefully someone emerges to be saluted. The work is beautiful and needs some worshipping. :p

You are absolutly right. I will probably only post the link of DarkArts someday. They do (did) a real good job.

OH, And Hey, Pawa, About the internet bones files server, it's already been done, By a nice litle prgram called hearse. I'm sure if you check it out, They might be able to help you understand it better... http://hearse.krollmark.com/
It's a very nifty little system...

Yeah, but it would be fun to have a "PSP-only" Bones and Top ten lists... As for the Lib, i'll check it out when I get there. Getting this thingy up is not so high on my prio's list. Especially that I don't have a Wifi access to test anything at home. Since this cost a bit of $$$, I don't want to invest time on that yet.

And as for the mp3, I think they have an opensource library for that on the psp, I can look around if you want...

Yes there is, its called LibMad ... I've found that reading this cool tutorial (http://www.scriptscribbler.com/psp/tutorials/lesson06.htm) .

I'd really love to help, Is there anyway I could, other than the feedback?

Well since the project is open source, you can do pretty much what ever you feel like doing! And if you code something cool or usefull, I really don't see why I wouldn't incorporate it in a future release my friend.

Since most of the critics I have, is concerned by the key mapping, maybe you could figure out some way ro make this customizable thru an textfile or in the Nethack in-game options?

Its really as you wish. If you want to set up yourself to compile this little baby, I could arrange a small tutorial. It has been a REAL pain in the ass to make it work, I almost quitted several time because of this.

Move the function 'previous message' to the Start button menu and replace it with 'repeat last action'.

Well the start button is for the context menu, I can't move that. But I see your point and I will try to use the SQUARE button for 'Repeat last action' and move the 'View previous message' somewhere else, even tho I don't see where I could place it. I find it quite usefull to see what has happened by scrolling back up the message list.

If you decide it's doable and you try making one, here's a tileset for a minimap

Yeah, this will go on the todo list. There are some cool mini-maps on some nethack ports. I could also make this viewable or not with a preference.

I also need to find a way way to drop X amount of 'object' settable with a counter. Say you wanna drop cash in a store to get credits... now you have to drop every single penny you have or nothing. This is a bit uncool.

Well thanks everyone,
Pawa

gnazzah
May 13th, 2006, 13:37
Well the start button is for the context menu, I can't move that. But I see your point and I will try to use the SQUARE button for 'Repeat last action' and move the 'View previous message' somewhere else, even tho I don't see where I could place it. I find it quite usefull to see what has happened by scrolling back up the message list.

Great! I did mean the 'Context menu' when I mentioned the 'Start button menu'. But if there's not enough space there I see your point. If I had to choose between the two, I most certainly would prefer 'repeat last action' to 'previous message' on the square button. But, as we say here: Taste is like the bottom - divided. :p

Some more annoyances: When you want to drop something you get this messy menu up before you can get the full, sorted list. I'd rather see that removed.

Also when looting, go straight to the full list. Probably more actions where this applies, but right now I don't remember them. :p

When wearing/taking off armor, let me choose more than one item.

When typing, would it be possible to finish by pressing circle? And quitting by triangle? And perhaps shift with square?

What are the chances of getting a confugurable pop-up menu like I sketched earlier? :rolleyes:

IveGotThePawa
May 13th, 2006, 14:28
If I had to choose between the two, I most certainly would prefer 'repeat last action' to 'previous message' on the square button. But, as we say here: Taste is like the bottom - divided. :p (...)

What are the chances of getting a confugurable pop-up menu like I sketched earlier? :rolleyes:

Nethack is very configurable, but not the PSP interface yet. As it is very personnal how you like to play this game, I will try very hard to mind myself to enable full joystick configuration soon. This should help you put whatever action you want on whatever button combination.

Some more annoyances: When you want to drop something you get this messy menu up before you can get the full, sorted list. I'd rather see that removed.

Just add:

OPTIONS=menustyle : partial (without any space inbetween. I had to add one because it was displaying the :p emoticon)

in your "./PSPNetHack/.nethackrc" file. That should do it for the Drop and Loot menu.

When wearing/taking off armor, let me choose more than one item.

Hmm, I can't change that. Its the way Nethack was designed. I'm mostly doing a port here, I don't want to change the way the game was written.

When typing, would it be possible to finish by pressing circle? And quitting by triangle? And perhaps shift with square?

Except for the SHIFT part, quitting and finishing are already done as you ask, try it out.

Pawa

gnazzah
May 13th, 2006, 14:51
Except for the SHIFT part, quitting and finishing are already done as you ask, try it out.
Oops. You're right. Will try the options=menustyle when my psp is rejuiced again. Playing with the 16x16 abigabitiles to see if there are things to improve. Looks very nice so far. Kudos to myself... :p

Finished the mines now, have Vorpal Blade and a Helm of Brilliance along with a ring of polymorph and a ring of polymorph control. Fazing through the cold stone like a warm knife in butter. :D

Can't wait to get configurable commands. One way or another. I'll probably be used to the original commands by then. ;)

gnazzah
May 13th, 2006, 15:31
Hm. I should read the the original option file more carefully. Found this:

OPTIONS=suppress_alert:3.3.1
It should take away the unneccesary note: "use #quit to quit..." when quivering weapons. It doesn't. You know why?

Also: Is it really neccessary with the (#command) style in the context menu? Ok, those are exended commands on a keyboard, but you don't need that info on the psp?

gnazzah
May 13th, 2006, 16:22
Nooooooo!
Is it possible? I was dancing happily with a succubus, gaining levels and everything when I put on a towel to find back to my lover. I found her, but on the way was a cockatrice I had to deal with. No problem. Easy match. Only... I still wore a towel on my head, so when I advanced further down the corridor I felt something on the floor. Yup. The cockatrice corpse. On dungeon level 7 there now is a beautiful statue of a priest named Gnazzah.

Grrr.

:D

gnazzah
May 14th, 2006, 12:57
Hmm. I'm currently playing with the noeGNUd version and tried to alter the minimap there. The one in the post above won't work at all because the layout's very different on the tiles. I'm working on another one now that I'll post when working. Some screenshots:

http://f5.putfile.com/5/13307530334.png
http://f5.putfile.com/5/13307533885.png
http://f5.putfile.com/5/13307541019.png

buenojuju
May 14th, 2006, 17:52
i LOVE this game thanks for making/porting it. i have one suggestion that would complete the experience totally, can you add an in game control options menu to change the controls and will also enable you to view the current controls like you have on the nethack site? for the first couple days i never figured out how to go up and down stairs pick things up and what not i didnt even know the triggers were used. So it would really help to have an in game way of checking and changing controls. and again thanks for the awesome game!

Cloudy
May 14th, 2006, 23:19
Hey, just popping by to say thanks for an excellent port, just put this on my PSP today. Excellent work, great to have Nethack running!

Just one suggestion/question. About the control system. While the way it's currently done isn't bad, I can't help but wish it was like another roguelike port to the PSP, that is ToME.

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/troublesofmiddleearth.shtml - link to ToME

Basically, in ToME, there is a virtual keyboard that comes up on the screen when you hold down the triangle button. While the keyboard is on the screen, you hold down the right trigger button for the Shift key, and the left trigger button for the Ctrl key. Using this system, you could use any command in the game, just as you could in the PC version of the game.

I'm not meaning to sound overly critical of the way you've done it, as it certainly works. The reason I mention is is that, the ToME port to the PSP just felt to me like the perfect way to have a roguelike port on the PSP. The downside to the system is you have to actually know what the key for each command is, but I think there's an in game help built in to Nethack with the '?' key.

Of course this is just a suggestion, I don't know how hard it would be to code or anything and I don;t think the source code for the ToME port is available to look at. As I say, the reason I mention it is because it seemed to me like the perfect way to port a Roguelike to the PSP and I would love to see Nethack done that way.

Anyways, nice job with Nethack! I'll be playinig it when I'm on the train tomorrow :)

gnazzah
May 15th, 2006, 08:23
Me too! I like that idea. Can we have that? Prettyprettyplease! :)

IveGotThePawa
May 16th, 2006, 01:07
OPTIONS=suppress_alert:3.3.1
It should take away the unneccesary note: "use #quit to quit..." when quivering weapons. It doesn't. You know why?

No, I have no clue, I'll check it.

Also: Is it really neccessary with the (#command) style in the context menu? Ok, those are exended commands on a keyboard, but you don't need that info on the psp?

Yeah, not all commands have shortcuts in nethack, so the #custom command is basicaly for that, you know, #quit, #twoweapons, etc.

IveGotThePawa
May 16th, 2006, 01:09
i LOVE this game thanks for making/porting it. i have one suggestion that would complete the experience totally, can you add an in game control options menu to change the controls and will also enable you to view the current controls like you have on the nethack site? for the first couple days i never figured out how to go up and down stairs pick things up and what not i didnt even know the triggers were used. So it would really help to have an in game way of checking and changing controls. and again thanks for the awesome game!

Yes, there will be an ingame help that will describe the current commands and the button combinations. And yes, there will be a way to customize those combinations some day. I have had many demands on that. Guess I'm the only one who likes the commands the way they are right now.

IveGotThePawa
May 16th, 2006, 01:16
Basically, in ToME, there is a virtual keyboard that comes up on the screen when you hold down the triangle button. While the keyboard is on the screen, you hold down the right trigger button for the Shift key, and the left trigger button for the Ctrl key. Using this system, you could use any command in the game, just as you could in the PC version of the game.

Well this would mean a big rewrite of most of the code I have already done. Personnaly, I like it the way it is right now. Button combinations are quite easy to remember when you play a lot and having to navigate inside a virtual keyboard to do every signle command isn't something that I would find handy.

I prefer the way it is right now. I will implement a way to customize those combinations but thats about it. If some of you want to rewrite the whole thing and display only a virtual keyboard, well suit yourselves. The code is out there ;)

Cloudy
May 16th, 2006, 17:26
Well this would mean a big rewrite of most of the code I have already done. Personnaly, I like it the way it is right now. Button combinations are quite easy to remember when you play a lot and having to navigate inside a virtual keyboard to do every signle command isn't something that I would find handy.

I prefer the way it is right now. I will implement a way to customize those combinations but thats about it. If some of you want to rewrite the whole thing and display only a virtual keyboard, well suit yourselves. The code is out there ;)

Hehe I suppose it would be an opportunity for me to learn some coding :p

The way it is just now is pretty cool though. I'm just happy to have it running :D Thanks :)

megalodon
May 19th, 2006, 14:13
This build is really excellent, I enjoy it immensely!

Not that I really need it, because 1.0d is really good, but how's the coding going? Anything new (like MP3 playing) on the horizon? :)

IveGotThePawa
May 20th, 2006, 12:48
This build is really excellent, I enjoy it immensely!

Not that I really need it, because 1.0d is really good, but how's the coding going? Anything new (like MP3 playing) on the horizon? :)

Thanks!

Well yeah, I have started to include the MP3 player. Its much harder than I thought. Don't expect a BETA too soon ;)

Pawa

IveGotThePawa
May 20th, 2006, 21:14
So? How far did you guys got to go before eating dirt?

Cloudy
May 23rd, 2006, 17:26

I'm pretty hopeless at Nethack in general... I've been playing it for about 2 years and I'm still completely rubbish at it!

But on the PSP I managed to complete the Sokoban levels.... that's about as far as I've got without dying on the PSP though. I think I got about 28000 points. I'm *slowly* getting better at Nethack, getting a bit further every time now :p

Angd good luck with the mp3 player, that would be an awesome addition if you could get it running!

megalodon
May 24th, 2006, 08:17

Don't worry guys. It's no wonder you "suck" at Nethack.

Back in the day (before version 3.X.X.X) the game wasn't easy but it was doable. My brothers and I finished it about 50 times. But then they added those dreadful extra levels of hell and heaven which made the game annoying and unbeatable - period.

See, after you somehow manage to finally kill all those demons and dragons, and survive the plains of hell that suffocates you without an amulet of breathing of sorts, and you finally manage to kill that powerful wizard of Yendor, and somehow mange to grab that amulet of Yendor, and go all the way up 50 levels filled with hideous monsters and really powerful traps, and monsers-mobs (you enter a room, and WHAAM, suddnely dozens of powerful creatures by their own attack you all at once), and, of coure, lack of food, you'd think that it's hard enough. But NOOOO, they also added about 5 more levels of downright HELL with demons that can't die and keep on haunthing you all the way through those dungeons, and a need for extremely rare magic items in order to advance.

And if that's not enough, they added monsters that adapt more and more to your play style and character-type, so you can hardly manage to survive the first 20 levels (you have to go about 30 more! Not to mention going up again all the way and doing all the stuff I mentioned above). Don't get me wrong, it's really fun, but it's so hopelessly and frustratingly difficult, that it really detracts from the fun factor (and that's just the first levels - the game is impossible to beat, don't even think about it).

Sorry, had to take that off my chest. These guys really and completely ruined Nethack over the years. I'm still looking for version 2.X.X.X or less, to no avail.

IveGotThePawa
May 24th, 2006, 19:19
Sorry, had to take that off my chest. These guys really and completely ruined Nethack over the years. I'm still looking for version 2.X.X.X or less, to no avail.

And I thought I just sucked... No wonder I never got past Hell. That the fartest I have been able to go. I got wiped there in two turn by a leech which did a "Finger of Death" on me... Not much I could do I guess.

But the lack of food is what I hate the most about this game. I think you go hungry too quickly.

But anyway, I still enjoy playing it... I really like not having to sit at my computer to play also. I can watch TV and play when its getting boring or when the ads starts.

P.S. I haven't put much work on it lately, there is so much to do around the house if we wanna be ready to relax during summer ;)

megalodon
May 25th, 2006, 06:32
But the lack of food is what I hate the most about this game. I think you go hungry too quickly

Hmmm...In previous versions, going hungry was much more of a problem. You had to pray in order to satisfy your hunger, and had to eat the dungeon walls in order to survive :) This was part of the challenge. I remember polymorphing myself to a huge swallowing monster which was presented on screen as a P (I don't remember the name of the monster, but hey, I was 7 years old or so - this game helped me learn English. I knew what Polymorph and Teleportation were before I knew what Table and Chair were :p). Anyway, with this monster I just swallowed everyone and never got hungry. I swallowed shopkeepers and cleaned their stores and stuff like that. Man, those were the days...

But anyway, I still enjoy playing it... I really like not having to sit at my computer to play also. I can watch TV and play when its getting boring or when the ads starts

Oh, I really enjoy playing it. I play it more than any game on my PSP. Nothing like a quick run of Nethack. And I do mean QUICK - you die before you even load the game :p

P.S. I haven't put much work on it lately, there is so much to do around the house if we wanna be ready to relax during summer ;)

It's OK, man, this version is as playable as it gets. Other changes are really just extra flavor. Take your time and enjoy your life, dude :) Thanks for porting the game!

Cloudy
May 25th, 2006, 16:32
I'm starting to get the hang of praying and stuff now. Saved my butt a few times when my dude is hungry/dying/poisoned/etc.

I've always said though... the guy in nethack should see a doctor... that's a crazy metabolism problem he's got! He needs a meal every hundred paces or so haha.

My guy was hungry so I got him to eat a Leprechaun corpse. Whoops. Anyone who'se ever tried that will know why it's not such a great idea.

megalodon
May 25th, 2006, 20:31
My guy was hungry so I got him to eat a Leprechaun corpse. Whoops. Anyone who'se ever tried that will know why it's not such a great idea.

...Unless you have a ring of teleportation-control, which makes it extra neat :)

Genki
May 25th, 2006, 21:51
Yup. Yup.

As for nethacks difficulty. It's not THAT hard to beat folks.
I haven't done it, But the numbers don't lie!

http://alt.org/nethack/monthlyasc.html

Have fun working pawa.

megalodon
May 26th, 2006, 18:01
Nah, it's quite impossible, or better yet, extremely hard to do. In previous versions you could finish it once every 30 or 40 games, and it was more fun. In this one, you have a hall of fame of people who have no life besides Nethack that somehow managed to finish it :)

coma
May 26th, 2006, 18:31
First of all great job on the port :) I love playing nethack and having it around on the psp is fantastic.

I must admit that i was a little wary of the control scheme at the start, being used to the keyboard layout on the pc i was afraid it would take me ages to feel comfortable with nethack controls on the psp.

Having said that i have to say that the way they're set currently is quite intuitive and doesnt take more than a few games to get used to.

I do have a suggestion as regards the control scheme however:

In the command selection menu (when start is pressed), the last action is 'custom extended command'.. why not change to to 'any custom command'? when this is chosen the keyboard comes up and the user can type in any command, both extended and not.. this would also be helpful when you forget which set of keypresses does a certain action.. so you can just go in and type the command as if you had the keyboard. This would also allow using 'n' to perform commands a certain amount of times.

Anyway that was my suggestion :) Keep up the great work.

gnazzah
May 28th, 2006, 23:24
To say this game is impossible is ridiculous. I've ascended lots of times. Well. Five. But it's really doable once you get the hang of it. It's actually much harder in the first part of the game. After you do your quest it's getting easier.

But if you charge on like a Stormtrooper, I guess you ask for a quick death.

Xenophule
June 26th, 2006, 21:38
Just something I whipped up to help me remember the commands:

http://www.xenophule.com/girscloset/nethackcommands.xls

I've formatted it so it'll fit inside of the top part of the Logitech crystal case so when I need a command, I just flip it down!

Also, I remember some command that'll call your familiar to you; am I imagining things? It's hard to beat the game with your familiar still intact when you can't call it....

And thank you for this! This is THE best port to the PSP so far!

IveGotThePawa
July 10th, 2006, 02:46
Just something I whipped up to help me remember the commands:

http://www.xenophule.com/girscloset/nethackcommands.xls

I've formatted it so it'll fit inside of the top part of the Logitech crystal case so when I need a command, I just flip it down!

Wow, thanks for that buddy! Its really simple, but highly effective.

Also, I remember some command that'll call your familiar to you; am I imagining things? It's hard to beat the game with your familiar still intact when you can't call it....

Well its not really a command, you can 'apply' a whistle. I think if its an standard one, it will come if it is near you, but if its magical and blessed, it will teleport your familiar right next to you.

And thank you for this! This is THE best port to the PSP so far!

My pleasure!

Pawa

HellDragon
July 12th, 2006, 21:59
Nice work, I've been playing this game under linux in text-mode for years and now i can get it into my psp!

steve-b
July 14th, 2006, 08:39
is there a version for 1.50 firmware? I'm really considering downgrading now that 2.60 to 1.50 is available

steve-b
July 15th, 2006, 00:29
uh ignore me, I'm being silly...it's already a 1.50 version :)

steve-b
July 17th, 2006, 14:35
how is the mp3 player coming along?
The only thing that bugs me about this game now is no sound track :)

I've played this so much that I can play it faster on PSP than I can on the PC. The interface is about as good as it needs to be I reckon. (must be a good 4-5 months we've been using the latest incarnation now and no more comments)

IveGotThePawa
August 4th, 2006, 16:14
how is the mp3 player coming along?
The only thing that bugs me about this game now is no sound track :)

Well I have completely stoped production... you know, summer and all ;)

I've played this so much that I can play it faster on PSP than I can on the PC. The interface is about as good as it needs to be I reckon. (must be a good 4-5 months we've been using the latest incarnation now and no more comments)

Yeah, same here. Its funny how I get tired of playing my retail games but that Nethack is still loaded once in a while...

Pawa

steve-b
August 4th, 2006, 16:18
ahh so you are still alive at least :) hope you are having a fun summer.

There was actually one thing I found that annoyed me the other day, but I'll be damned if I can remember what it was right now. Ah well, it'll come back to me at some point.

S34MU5
September 3rd, 2006, 14:09
looks cool

psy2501
September 7th, 2006, 21:39
@steve-b:
i suggest you use irshell with nethostfs, stream your
mp3s to your psp while playing nethack : )