PDA

View Full Version : Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.6

JLF65
September 5th, 2009, 20:17
Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.6. This has all the goodies - mouse, keyboard, and joypad controls, force-feedback (Jump Pack), stats on the VMU LCD, load/save options and games from/to VMU, allows up to four DEH and patch WAD files (Doom patches, not Boom), NTSC, PAL, and VGA support, music, and stereo sound effects. It has networking, but that's one thing I haven't been able to test yet. So give it a try! Old School Dooming at it's finest. :cool:

MAXIMUSpowers
September 5th, 2009, 21:04
Wow this is great work. How do you work the networking? Via the serial port?

This really is good stuff JLF65. You are an asset to the DC community.

Indiket
September 5th, 2009, 22:51
As always, a great release! The vibration function works quite well (and I love the chainsaw now).

About networking, I want to try it. I've got BBA, and it seems that in the menu it's avaiable the networking option. If you want to test it with me, just let me now :D

JLF65
September 5th, 2009, 23:07
The networking should be enabled if the DC has been setup to connect to the net. That can be via the serial or the BBA. I don't have a DC BBA - I've been looking over how people connect through the serial modem to a PC with a modem of its own, but haven't set anything up yet. Assuming everything works like it should, you should be able to connect with another DC, a PSP running my Doom for PSP, or a PC running an old version of Doom, like sdlDoom 1.10. I suggest you read the readme on how to setup a network game. There are a number of things you have to set in order to play a network game.

And yes, the chainsaw is TOTALLY awesome with vibration. :cool:

The chaingun is also more fun now. :D

Darksaviour69
September 5th, 2009, 23:25
dreamcast and psp playing together? thats crazy talk

JLF65
September 6th, 2009, 01:33
dreamcast and psp playing together? thats crazy talk

And a PC! Don't forget the PC! :rofl:

Cast128dreams
September 6th, 2009, 11:38
Heeelllo to the Creator..Thanks a lot man..I have never finished first Doom..I have a Dreamcast keyboard a mouse and of course the vibration pack....And now its the big change...Tell me its the whole game right?

Thanks man you did a great job Dreamcast is a unique console for us!!

Oh and of corse i have the VGA box...

Man i would be great to play

JLF65
September 6th, 2009, 16:21
Tell me its the whole game right?

No one can distribute the whole game for free - it's just the shareware WAD file in the archive. Assuming you have the WAD files, you just copy them to the iwad directory in the Inducer directory after you expand the sbi, and before you create the disc image in SBI. At the same time, you can put patch WAD files in the pwad directory, and DEH files in the DEH directory. My personal DCDoom disc has about 250 MB of WAD, patch WAD, and DEH files.

Oh and of corse i have the VGA box...

VGA is nice... that true for most consoles. RGB will always be better than composite or svideo. :cool:

XDelusion
September 6th, 2009, 19:31
Hmm, I wonder if there are networking possibilities for those who have cut out there serial port and installed a USB port instead?

Awsome news, can't wait to test this out.

JLF65
September 7th, 2009, 00:36
Hmm, I wonder if there are networking possibilities for those who have cut out there serial port and installed a USB port instead?

Awsome news, can't wait to test this out.

From what BlueCrab mentioned over at DCEmulation, the current code in DCDoom will only work for the BBA or LAN adapter. Aparently, I need to add a PPP stack for modem, and clearly I can't support custom adapters I have no knowledge of. ;)

XDelusion
September 7th, 2009, 02:03
I have a guide on how to remove the serial port and replace it with usb somewhere at home. I'll have to try to remember to dig it out and post it. I guess it allows you to use that Dreamcast SD adapter that's supposed to be in production...

JLF65
September 7th, 2009, 03:15
I have a guide on how to remove the serial port and replace it with usb somewhere at home. I'll have to try to remember to dig it out and post it. I guess it allows you to use that Dreamcast SD adapter that's supposed to be in production...

So it uses one of those serial-to-usb converter cables they sell for the PC so that you're communicating serially with the PC? I've seen some articles on that. That would require a program on the PC side acting as a server to let the DC network or act as a file server (rather like USBHOSTFS for the PSP).

XDelusion
September 7th, 2009, 03:22
No, it's the process of ripping out the serial port from your DC, and rigging up a USB port in it's place. I used to have one of those adapters you are talking about though...

...I wonder why people are not taking more advantage of them?

JLF65
September 7th, 2009, 03:52
No, it's the process of ripping out the serial port from your DC, and rigging up a USB port in it's place. I used to have one of those adapters you are talking about though...

...I wonder why people are not taking more advantage of them?

Probably because there are almost no serial connectors around, so you have to pretty much tear up that part of the DC. That's supposedly what's holding up the DC SD adapters - they're buying link cables and such off eBay for the connectors.

Every article I've seen on using the DC serial port starts with cutting the connector and unsoldering it from the motherboard, then soldering wires to the pads. That's well beyond the average person's abilities, or desires. I can do such a thing, but have no inclination to do so as I'd rather have my DC remain in it's original shape. It's not the same thing as adding a mod chip - you're gutting part of the console.

XDelusion
September 7th, 2009, 04:50
Yes, but it's such fun!!! :)

That's why I keep multiple DC's laying around. Anything I do a hardware hack I keep at least two of.

Cast128dreams
September 7th, 2009, 09:42
I feel very gratefull no matter what cause i love Dreamcast

JLF65
September 7th, 2009, 16:08
Yes, but it's such fun!!! :)

That's why I keep multiple DC's laying around. Anything I do a hardware hack I keep at least two of.

Well, I just have the one right now, so until I get another, this one is staying in original shape. :D

Maturion
September 8th, 2009, 22:18
Really, this is so great!!! Thank you a lot for all your effort.

JLF65
September 8th, 2009, 23:20
Really, this is so great!!! Thank you a lot for all your effort.

You're welcome. This was an effort aimed at learning about the DC, so other stuff will be coming. :cool:

MAXIMUSpowers
September 9th, 2009, 15:21
Can you play multiplayer death matches using split screen?

JLF65
September 9th, 2009, 16:40
Can you play multiplayer death matches using split screen?

No. Unless the game is specifically programmed for that kind of multi-player handling, consoles are particularly bad for that. For example, with Doom you'd need two complete copies of the game running at the same time on the DC, and it's bad enough just getting one game running. :D

If someone did get two copies of Doom running, they'd be fighting over the CD trying to load lumps for the game (that's already the one thing that slows Doom on the DC the most - waiting on data from the CD).

MAXIMUSpowers
September 9th, 2009, 21:16
ah thats a shame. How does the multiplayer system work? Direct link?

JLF65
September 10th, 2009, 00:39
Read the readme - you specify the IP addresses of the other players, along with a port. Everyone specifies a player number and the same game options, then starts up Doom. Doom then negotiates with all the specified players while the game runs.

On the topic, I finally won an eBay auction... on the DC BBA no less! So by early next week I should have one and be able to make sure networking is working (I'll play against my PSP).
:D

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2009, 03:06
how much was it?

JLF65
September 10th, 2009, 04:48
A little over $160 with shipping. That's about $100 less than the last three I've seen completed auctions for. I got really lucky - there was only one other guy bidding, and he quit at $152. It started at $99.97, I was the first bid and set my high bid at $160. I thought for sure it would do like all the other auctions and soar over $200 in the last three seconds. I was shocked to see I actually won it. :D

XDelusion
September 10th, 2009, 18:10
Ya, they don't come cheap! :)

Dihnekis
October 14th, 2009, 15:08
How did the multiplayer work out?

JLF65
October 15th, 2009, 01:35
When I have the net cable connected, the thing crashes somewhere in the KOS net init code. When I don't have the cable connected, it runs, but of course, no networking.

StryfeDc
January 21st, 2010, 12:48
Any chance ou could add an option to disable controller hotkey cheating in the next possible version?

I found it way too easy to activate cheats (which I dislike with a passion), when I was swapping weapons on the move.