PDA

View Full Version : Could PSX4ALL be the Answer for PSone Emulation on the PSP

wraggster
May 9th, 2006, 01:50
Chui an excellent coder for the GP2X, GP32 and Dreamcast Scenes and hosted on the DCEmu Network, posted in this Forum Topic (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24156) about him Unai and ZodTTD working on a New multi system supporting PSX Emulator called PSX4ALL, reading the thread linked it certainly looks a more viable option than porting PCSX to the PSP.

Whats the thoughts on this ?

joesnose
May 9th, 2006, 01:57
lets hope so , sounds promising for sure.

bobcobb
May 9th, 2006, 01:57
Since it works on a myriad of different systems, it seems like all one would have to do is port the code base and optimize it for the PSP's hardware.

This is great, I don't see any reason why we couldn't get this on the PSP. We just need another dedicated emulator that knows his way around the PSP's hardware and could get that thing running smoothly.

publicprivates
May 9th, 2006, 02:05
Definiteley looks great. Hope Zottd gets to work porting this although it looks like it might be running on the arm processor.

MegaManNetRonin
May 9th, 2006, 02:20

OMIGOD!!!!!!!!!!
PSX, on my..... PSP!

Without waiting for the corporate b******s at Sony to screw us out of homebrew?
(Speculation)

I hope it'll work on 2.6.

I think the name "PSX4ALL" insuates this.
Sounds good portable masterpiece, MGS?
Oooh!

Wally
May 9th, 2006, 02:20
Great!

nyrtrublue
May 9th, 2006, 02:27
this looks great im gonna keep my fingers crossed

Gizmo356
May 9th, 2006, 02:50
cool

Illegal Machine
May 9th, 2006, 03:29
Wasnt final fantasy 7 on like 3 discs or something??

I'd hate to see how big these isos are... Neo geo CD takes up like half a gig on my card already!!

Im gonna need a 4 gigger

Voltron
May 9th, 2006, 03:44
Hell yeah! I'd love to be able to play PS1 games on the PSP.

aries2k4
May 9th, 2006, 04:07
would definately be great. IŽd laugh like hell if it came out before sonys

Emeriastone
May 9th, 2006, 04:31
I'd like to see some specs to see if this is the better alternative.

Edit: (yeah, if we can beat sony to the punch that would be awesome :cool: )

vettacossx
May 9th, 2006, 05:04
1 word

AWSOME

V3N0M
May 9th, 2006, 05:07
Vetta and i were just discussing this and now this lol this is great.

jman420
May 9th, 2006, 05:32
it seems so obvious to make a ps1 emulator on psp.. but, the thing that would bother me is... Sony had said they were going to shrink the games, doing that with an emulator would be almost impossible, so it would take 2.1 gigabytes of storage space just for all of final fantasy 7.. 2.8 GB for FF9 1.4 GB for Resedent Evil 2.. and to load 5MB of information at a time, will require a static decompiler built specificly for each system.. just because the PS1 itself can read the CD's how they are ment to be, doesent mean that any system can, even a PC PSX emulator requires a 2 ghz CPU and at least 512mb of ram, to load as much of the CD as required... just a consideration :D

other then the storage and loading requirement, sounds like a genius idea :D

acn010
May 9th, 2006, 06:04
thats why it seems that sony is taking out memory sticks pro duo 4 and 8 gigs.
i also heard that the maximum capacity of that tiny memory chip could hold maximum of 32GB on storage,(problem is that it will be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo expensive to buy it) which means that 4 GB is 200 dollars,8GB for around 350 dollars. and the 32GB = 6400 dollars plus tax available (unless you steal it is free XD ).
so yeah, but later in the future there will be a compressive program to cut huge amounts of MB into MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol (really, example 500MB compressing to the result of 70MB)
so yeah, everything is possible........
:)

Illegal Machine
May 9th, 2006, 15:26
Well, I'm excited that theres a PS1 emulator coming out, but I really don't want to hear the complaints that you KNOW are coming along with the release when the resulting emu can't play games effectively..

I really just want to play N2O (nitrous oxide) and a few other titles that DON'T make use of those pesky extra buttons that we all know arent on the PSP..

So it's going to be interesting to watch people come to the realization that certain games ARE NOT EVER going to be playable because they make use of buttons that simply do not exist on the PSP. Buttons like R2, R3, L2, L3, and the right analog stick. So that's 4 buttons, and an entire analog controller right there, so right off the bat the entire armored core series is off the menu. So is colony wars... and so are a LOT of games.. especially if they require the dualshock controller(which I dont know if you remember or not, but the dualshock was a "special" controller back then and wasnt bundled with the PS1 at saletime). In fact, I'm having a hard time determining from memory precisely which titles did NOT make use of the extended controler layout.

something to think about..

ping182
May 9th, 2006, 16:01
Recompressing PSX Videos or Ripping them completely isn't really hard ;) and for the record - you will stream games from memory stick so i think it's great idea :P
and psx emu on PC - it worked for me with decent framerate on 450 mHz PIII :P

Lumir
May 9th, 2006, 16:21
I dont know what the problem is with the space issue. We all know final fantasy 7 was a couple gigs... so what? Dose that mean you have to have all the cd's on your mem stick at one time? If you recall once you reached a point in the game the cd would ask you to insert the next one. I think its really possible for this to happen on the psp scene... Once you reach the end of disk 1, save your data, go to your comp, delet the old disc 1 data, and DL the disc 2 data. Load up the game and wala~!

kevho
May 9th, 2006, 17:35
i hope it will be the nxt BIG thing!!!!!!!
coooooooooooooooooool!!!!!!!!!!!!!

acn010
May 9th, 2006, 21:09
thats why it seems that sony is taking out memory sticks pro duo 4 and 8 gigs.
i also heard that the maximum capacity of that tiny memory chip could hold maximum of 32GB on storage,(problem is that it will be sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooo expensive to buy it) which means that 4 GB is 200 dollars,8GB for around 350 dollars. and the 32GB = 6400 dollars plus tax available (unless you steal it is free XD ).
so yeah, but later in the future there will be a compressive program to cut huge amounts of MB into MB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol (really, example 500MB compressing to the result of 70MB)
so yeah, everything is possible........

mog
May 9th, 2006, 22:33
cool, this is good news...

Although it would be better if a good emulator was created from the ground up like PSMonkey is doing...
Then again, I guess there would be no point starting something like that if sony really are going to release an official ps1 emulator.

If this emulator is multi-system compatible, it will not be made specifically for the psp, so it will not be as fast as a ps1 emu could be...
I can't see the psp ever getting near 50/60 fps on a ps1 emulator... every single fps will be needed to make it playable.

Valiant
May 9th, 2006, 23:25
I hope this one would be more prevalent...*pacmanfan died?*

pspfan
May 10th, 2006, 00:38
Man, this would be so great. And we wouldn't have to pay like on the official PS1 emu.

LloydKansas
May 10th, 2006, 07:06
I'm just curious what the relevance of a homebrew PSX on PSP emulator is when Sony is releasing an official one at the end of the year... I'm sure they've got everything worked out with the way the games load and all that. Since they have all the games in their database I doubt they only have the ISO versions on hand as well. I mean yeah, it would be cool if somebody could do it, but I just don't see the point of trying something that Sony is already taking care of...

LiNKZiE
May 10th, 2006, 10:23
cool news.. and btw how's pmf doing?

mr_nick666
May 10th, 2006, 13:01
Because Sony will rip you off for it and make it bloody 2.8 firmware only(!) (Bet theyre already planning it!) :eek:
Long live my 1.5 - I look forward to the day I can play my PSX games on the move :D

SuNnY_B
May 10th, 2006, 17:52
okay if the psx emulator currently runs LOWEST at 7fps on the dreamcast as mentioned, im sure it will be way faster on the PSP bcoz the dreamcast is only 200mhz and PSP is 333mhz!

F9zDark
May 10th, 2006, 18:26
okay if the psx emulator currently runs LOWEST at 7fps on the dreamcast as mentioned, im sure it will be way faster on the PSP bcoz the dreamcast is only 200mhz and PSP is 333mhz!

Not the case at all. SNES specifications is far lower than that of the PSP and yet some SNES roms run slow as hell on the PSP.

Specs for SNES

CPU: 16-bit 65816 (3.58MHz)
RAM: 128KB (1Mb), 64KB (0.5Mb) Video RAM
Graphics: Dedicated graphics processor
Colors: 32768 (256 on screen)
Sprites: 128
Sprite Size: 64x64 pixels
Resolution: 512x448 pixels
Sound: 8-channel 8-bit Sony SPC700 digitized sound

As you can clearly see, specs mean almost nothing. It is dependent upon the game being played, the optimizations of the emulator and how well coded the emulator is.

kevho
May 10th, 2006, 18:33
yeah yeah yeah!!!!

ENG
May 10th, 2006, 18:54
Hmm .... Maybe after the N64 emulator(s)

SuNnY_B
May 10th, 2006, 18:54
yeh i kno tht! PSP runs atari and amiga games pretty damn slow too but thts not what im sayin. what i said was that since the same PSX emulator for the dreamcast might get ported onto the PSP, if the dreamcast can emulate PSX at lowest 7fps (and 20fps wen they fix 1 problem as they say) then im sure the PSP shud b able 2 do tht or even more maybe MAYBE lol im sure its possible...
BASICALLY IF A SLOWER MACHINE CAN EMULATE IT VERY GOOD I DONT SEE WHY ANOTHER MACHINE 66% FASTER SHUDNT B ABLE 2 DO THE SAME, I CUD B WRONG THO BUT CORRECT ME ON THT EXAMPLE NOT HOW THE SNES EMU RUNS SLOW WITH SOME ROMS ON THE PSP COZ THTS HASNT GOT MUCH 2 DO WITH WHAT I SAID. SORRY FOR CAPITALS IM NOT SHOUTING LOL.

SuNnY_B
May 10th, 2006, 19:02
sorry if i hav the wrong idea there but just thought it wud b helpful sum1 answerin tht question bcoz im sure others who kno less like myself wud wana kno the answer 2 tht. thnx

F9zDark
May 10th, 2006, 21:10
Again, its really not specification dependent.

Just because the Dreamcast version gets 7 FPS doesn't mean the PSP will get higher simply because its CPU is faster.

The Dreamcast that people are using to develop this PSX emulator probably has a hard drive installed (which is faster than a Memory Stick), can have physical hard drive space allocated for virtual memory (something shunned upon with Memory Sticks, since they have a limited number of read/writes available on their sectors).

Not to mention, modified Dreamcasts(which might be the case for them to make use of homebrew) may take advantage of having significant amounts of additional physical memory, which the PSP just cannot do.

Zion
May 10th, 2006, 21:20
Sounds Great!

Lodis
May 18th, 2006, 14:09
If this is ported to the Psp, why expect it to run at a playable speed?

I certainly don't and I have heard nothing from Pacmanfans Psx emulator in a very long time. Donations were received too.

xXSujoXx
May 18th, 2006, 20:40
That Would Be Hot

pkmaximum
May 19th, 2006, 03:00
Hmmmm... well since the GP2X is getting 20fps apparently in the wip update I read on their site I don't see why the PSP should have too much trouble emulating it. I don't think Pac Man fan would of started up the project iether if he didn't think it was possible to play PS1 games at a decent frame rate...(despite the fact we heard absolutley nothing from him in ages...) But still maybe it will happen sooner than we think. To bad PS1 games are like average of 700mb. Thats a real killer. :( N64 has better game play and I personally love the graphics and roms are like 14 mb. Hmmmm SONY really pushed hard on that one.

P.S. How will SONY expect PSP users to have PS1 games on their PSP's, do they expect all of us to have 2 gig memory cards or something? Because the 3 disc rom set for Final Fantasy VII is pretty dam large and I don't think SONY will let us store the ISO's in our computers also so that might also be a problem..:( Plus never upgrading firmware :P