PDA

View Full Version : What equipment is needed to run the N64 emulator?

dshacker3
May 9th, 2006, 03:18
Im really interested in this, but I don't know anything nor own a PSP, but am thinking of purchasing one because of this project, so what are the requirements besides the console? Thanks :)

psiko_scweek
May 9th, 2006, 03:31
Nope just the console, unless you get a version 2.01 or above then you need to get Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories.

PSmonkey
May 9th, 2006, 03:41
hit up ebay for a psp with 1.5 or 2.0 on it.

there are also some good fokes at neo-geo.com/forums selling psp with 1.5 on it (im at that forum under the nick subbie).

dshacker3
May 9th, 2006, 03:51
Nope just the console, unless you get a version 2.01 or above then you need to get Grand Theft Auto : Liberty City Stories.
How exactly is that game supposed to help run it? And if I need nothing but the console, I know the PSP goes online, but it has things you can download to it Just through the cable to the PSP memory? I was going to buy a 4 GB flash cart for my DS for $98, and I found a sealed PSP on ebay for $100, so that should work good.

ZFB8
May 9th, 2006, 05:09
Well, firstly, you have to have a PSP. If you happen to buy a PSP with firmware at or above 2.01, you will need to get Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories. The reason for this is simple: Sony does NOT want you using these products on your console, so after firmware 2.0, things got VERY secure in the firmware to block the executing of unsigned, arbitrary code. BUT, a few months ago, a man by the name of Edison Carter found an exploit in the way GTA loads its save games, and 2 other men named Fanjita and Ditlew pushed this exploit to its fullest extent, allowing unsigned code to run. These programs range anywhere from simple games, to demos, to ports, and as you can see, emulators.

BUT, if you happen to buy one with firmware 2.0 or below, then you're in luck, as those have exploits which allow you to to run programs from the main console menu. Now, if I were you I would read up on all of this first, such as installing homebrew, which methods of loading applications apply to which firmwares, etc. Another thing you might want to look into are ways you can tell the firmware by looking at a letter on the side of the barcode on the boxes.

But nonetheless, it will require at least SOME researching if you're absolutely new to the PSP. And also, if you're thinking of buying a PSP, you might want to buy one soon, because they're going to start putting the new firmware in newly manufactured PSP's before too long, and this firmware does NOT have a way to run homebrew at this time, and probably won't for a good number of months, if ever.

You might want to check out a few renowned PSP sites' forums, such as this site or pspupdates.qj.net's forums (*puts up flame shield* <_<)

Other than that, I would also invest in a bigger memory card for your PSP, it only comes with 32 MB, and of course a USB cable. Well, I hope I was informative, and I hope you have fun if you get a PSP ^_~

DPyro
May 9th, 2006, 05:55
1.51 and 1.52 don't have an exploit....You'll have to upgrade to 2.00 then.

GeEkPiE
May 9th, 2006, 18:16
best bet is finding a 1.50 on ebay. iv got one and it works like a dream.

My friend had a 1.0 from japan but stupidly upgraded to 2.0 then 2.6, i tried to tell him but he wanted the new features so i said fine, its your funeral.

dont do it man!

diamondx
May 9th, 2006, 18:18
MPH, I think, made a 2.0 to 1.5 downgrade. My psp came 1.51, I upgraded to 2.0, then to 1.5.

PsychoSync
May 9th, 2006, 19:56
Yeah, there's a downgrader for 2.00 - 1.5, that's what i did.

Produkt
May 9th, 2006, 21:12
get mad at me I've killed 3 homebrew capable PSP's...

Malksta
May 9th, 2006, 21:15
Grr!

coo
May 9th, 2006, 21:17
if you are uncomfortable with downgrading (like me), you can use the TIFF method deleloped by Fanjita and Ditlew for PSP 2.0. This methood tricks the psp to thinking the eloder is an image file and runs through the PSP PHOTO menu. You can get the Alternative Super Bock Version for PSP 2.0 at noobz.eu

me_ben
May 10th, 2006, 08:28
i'm just using 2.6 with the eloader, works fine for most homebrew
constantly running gta is abit annoying, if only the eloader had sleep capabilities

coo
May 10th, 2006, 20:40
the emenu for the eloader does, when you put the hold button on, the psp runs down to 1mhz and the screen goes black, it's not sleep mode, but it's close

Wally
May 11th, 2006, 02:11
See if you can get the stores ex Demo PSP, if you are in australia im pretty sure they are all 1.52