PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: The most expensive console in the world!

wraggster
May 9th, 2006, 16:03
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=139238)

If you winced in disbelief at the 289 GBP price of an Xbox 360, you'll be shocked beyond all reason when you visit your local GAME in November...

410 GBP for a games console? Then there's the broadband fees to get online, the additional pads and the HD TV to make your games look nice. Your girlfriend certainly won't understand why you cancelled the holiday and spent a small fortune on a shiny black box instead of that week in Venice...

It's clear from the outset that PS3 is set to be the Rolls Royce of games consoles, offering better performance (and a higher price) than any other console to be launched in the UK. But have Sony gone a step too far? Nintendo Wii is due to launch this year at a price which is expected to be around the 150 GBP mark, which makes it less than half the price of a PlayStation 3. Then there's the Xbox 360 to consider. A core system costs just 209 GBP and that's before the inevitable price drop to combat the PlayStation 3 launch in November.

What do you think? Are you saving already? Let us know your thoughts and you could see them appearing here over the next few days...

jasperdavid283
May 9th, 2006, 19:13
I aint saving cuz im getting it from my parents :p i already ordered it xD cant wait...

kimbonious
May 9th, 2006, 20:06
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=139238)
It's clear from the outset that PS3 is set to be the Rolls Royce of games consoles, offering better performance (and a higher price) than any other console to be launched in the UK.

This is the opinion part right?

I won' t buy, not until after a year or two anyway, i am happy with my 360 and all the devs are saying that screens are gonna be comparible so why pay 200 extra dollars again?

Accordion
May 9th, 2006, 20:30
why £410 i worked it out as £322 from the dollars, so i reckon £350 plus two games = £450. hmm. how much for an extra controller? plus a HD-TV erm £1000 = £1500 estimate
right
im going to uni in september and i will definately get one, what else are all the loans and grants for?
and yes there is a huge chance it will get stolen, trampled during drunken fit, etc

one reason
Metal Gear Solid 4!!!

Shilo
May 9th, 2006, 21:32
:eek: way to expensive!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gona get a cheap little ol' Wii :D

tisti
May 9th, 2006, 21:33
accordian boy.. 410 only for the console...

Regular math doesn't work ;D

metalspector
May 9th, 2006, 21:36
Gotta say you're wrong cause there was one console that costed 800 dollars and was crap and probably one of the biggest dissapointment in history : the virtual boy from nintendo.

Shilo
May 9th, 2006, 21:45
$800!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! For a Virtual Boy?????????????? Wait, the VB wasn't released in the UK, or was it? LOL I bought a Virtual Boy for $25 with 3 games!!!!!!!

BTW I know this is off topic, but I think the Virtual Boy is great!!!!!!!!!! So what if it gives you headaches and makes you sick, that is half the fun :D!

taiyoh
May 9th, 2006, 22:31
This is wayyyyy too expensive and I think Sony took a step too far on this one.....I mean the fact that I have to pay at least a $100 more just for compatibility with memory card duos and others is pissing me off. :mad:

P.S. they totally ripped off Nintendo on the motion sensor on they're controller(Also what happened to that boomerang design) :mad:

metalspector
May 9th, 2006, 23:00
Well when the virtual boy was first released in America it cost 800 dollars but it got lowered quickly , you should be able to buy one these days for about 10 bucks at ebay

Shadowblind
May 9th, 2006, 23:02
I thought it only cost $700. Wow, Playstation is gettin desperate, since they went in debt because each station costs upward $1000.

Galiano
May 9th, 2006, 23:23
410 gbp is alot but people will buy it anyway and besides you would pay a lot more for a stand alone blu-ray player

Miria
May 9th, 2006, 23:53
Oh Well just saving for the Wii-volution..... lol

emuking
May 10th, 2006, 04:32
screw it im getting a wii and a 360 and next year a ps3 after a price drop or 2,damn remember when ps2 was 300 us bucks,dont worry peoples it will go down in price quickly

stotheamuel
May 10th, 2006, 04:54
P.S. they totally ripped off Nintendo on the motion sensor on they're controller(Also what happened to that boomerang design) :mad:

yeah I'm sure sony designed, produced, and incorporated that function into games within this time from when nintendo announced the controller

I thought it only cost $700. Wow, Playstation is gettin desperate, since they went in debt because each station costs upward $1000.

what are you talking about it'll be only 500 or 600 dollars

Cap'n 1time
May 10th, 2006, 05:42
what are you talking about it'll be only 500 or 600 dollars

OMG IS THAT ALL?! **** the kids and **** eating! Imma buy me a shiny new console!

I think ill be buying a wii.. I like the idea of games being FUN and regardless of how "kiddy" the games are.. they are all damn fun!

zeon x
May 10th, 2006, 09:11
Why pay that much? We all know it will drop in price a lot after the release.
The price is just that expensive because of the that new CPU they built.

Once it is in mass production, prices will fall.

Wasnt it the N64 that dropped by £50 2 months after release. because people thought that was too expensive. I forget its original price though.

fistikuffs
May 10th, 2006, 09:32
wait for a year the price will drop and the games will be better :cool:

Accordion
May 10th, 2006, 20:16
i personally prefer the PS3 motion control to the Wii
it seems alot more natural, you get the same sort of interaction but with a familiar control method,
Wii remote and nun chuck looks awkward

also sony is using the motion sensor as a gimmick where as nintendo is banking the whole success on the feature. the only good uses are driving and FPS. both are good for driving and lightguns work perfect with FPS. bring back the g-con 2 with an anologue stick instead of d-pad and it is perfect

stotheamuel
May 10th, 2006, 23:25
oh dont take me the wrong way 1time... i didnt mean it was cheap.... but $1000 is waaay off

Shadowblind
May 10th, 2006, 23:27
PS3 is now going to be $499 for v1 and $599 for v2

btw, watchin E3 on G4! (actually fairly boring)

idapimp
May 13th, 2006, 23:27
first of all. i love my virtualboy. it rules. second of all. the wii is going to kick ass. and sony hasnt implemented that motion sensor into games and programs and stuff since nintendo unveiled their controller. they put the motion sensor in there at the last minute and now game developers are pissed that they have to go in and incorporate it into their games. and the nunchaku controller on wii looks 100% comfortable. sony just felt threatened and had to copy the competition. and on another note. i dont think the wii is going to have all "kid" games. they already have an exclusive resident evil title in the works. plus kojima says he'd rather work on the wii anyways. gameplay should always be above graphics.

Galiano
May 14th, 2006, 20:12
first of all. i love my virtualboy. it rules. second of all. the wii is going to kick ass. and sony hasnt implemented that motion sensor into games and programs and stuff since nintendo unveiled their controller. they put the motion sensor in there at the last minute and now game developers are pissed that they have to go in and incorporate it into their games. and the nunchaku controller on wii looks 100% comfortable. sony just felt threatened and had to copy the competition. and on another note. i dont think the wii is going to have all "kid" games. they already have an exclusive resident evil title in the works. plus kojima says he'd rather work on the wii anyways. gameplay should always be above graphics.

I like the phrase "Sony feeling threatened by wii". But on a serious note i honestly don't think sony are concerned one iota about wii, their concern will be 360 because sony and microsoft have a similar customer base, ever since the gamecube failed to outsell their competitors they have targeted a niche market, as such a lot of people don't know anything about Wii.

It would have been a different story had they released a proper pokemon game or a true sequel to mario 64 instead of a graphical update with a flash water gun. I love ninty but they seem to be losing the plot