PDA

View Full Version : Consumer experience can give digital distribution edge

wraggster
September 9th, 2009, 19:02
Sidhe MD and co-founder Mario Wynands has told GamesIndustry.biz that while more companies are turning towards digital distribution as a more cost-effective and profitable way of releasing products, his company's experience of dealing with consumers directly will give them an edge.

Talking the build-up to this year's GC Asia, taking place next week in Singapore, he explained that the switch to an online market place was something he and his colleagues predicted several years ago, and something which they've since been building up to.

"We treat the digitally distributed stuff that we do in the same way that we treat our retail products, where we're given the latitude by publishers to do PR and marketing, and really go out there, talk about the game and engage with consumers," he explained.

"Obviously the more people that are doing that, the more noise there is, but we think we are reasonably well positioned, because we have tried to take the lead where we can, tried to be involved. We're the ones that have written and sent out the press releases, that have built the websites, that have managed the communities and forums - and I've offered to do that for free for our publisher because I recognise that while there's a cost to doing that, there's an inherent value in capturing those communities and going through the process of being seen, pushing our brand, and being associated with those products.

"So we have a little experience, we know the process, we have the media contacts, reputable PR people and we have the infrastructure, capability and community there. I think we're taking the right approach, but it's hard to say, because we do continue to see people flood the iPhone space, we see people moving into the console download space - both diversifying from traditional console development and also as new studios starting up - so it's going to get more crowded."

And he added that looking at the market on a global basis was important for the New Zealand-based developer, particularly when it comes to resisting the temptation to "price gouge" consumers in Europe.

"We're looking at what's happened in digital distribution, and it's perfect for us," he said. "It's the epitome of what we're trying to do, because we're tucked away in a corner of the world which is very hard to get to - it represents this great opportunity where it doesn't matter where someone is in the world, and where we are in relation to them.

"We can access that consumer, and that's an approach we've taken for the release of out latest game, Shatter, where we have price parity all over the world. It's priced pretty much the same everywhere, and we haven't taken the approach that a lot of companies have where you price it one way in the US, then price gouge in Europe because you can, because Europe's always been getting price gouged.

"We've taken the approach that it's a global marketplace, there's price parity, we recognise there are different demographics that make up the market, but there's local content appropriately. But let's treat the consumer base idea as, essentially, one big market. Digital distribution for us in that sense is really one of the big solutions to the problem that we started out with."

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/consumer-experience-can-give-digital-distribution-edge

osgeld
September 10th, 2009, 00:12
yea I the consumer still think its a screw over, xbox dies so does 200$ worth of games.

I dare want to play a game after the company decides I cant have it?

Plus I love the idea of paying a subscription fee to purchase games

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2009, 00:18
you games are linked to your gamertag, so you can move them/redownload them on to other xboxs

apex05
September 10th, 2009, 01:17
I'm probably a bit old fashioned because i think if i buy a game now i'd like to know that in 20 years i can still play it.. i think my 22 year old NES proves that point, and who knows where Sony and Microsoft will be in 20 years if my games are linked to an account.

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2009, 03:08
well, yes thats true. But you could look at it in the reverse, Over time you retail games might become damaged or lost.

Personally I would still prefer the idea of retail, but if I think about it, I have made more digital purchases in the last 6 months

apex05
September 10th, 2009, 04:22
Yeah obviously digital is a mainly good thing, but for me i would always have to have the security of a hacked console or emulator so i can always play those legaly downloaded games on my own terms in the future.

osgeld
September 10th, 2009, 14:47
you games are linked to your gamertag, so you can move them/redownload them on to other xboxs

Ah yes, which goes back to me paying a subscription to purchase a game or later on re-claiming my property that MAY or MAY NOT be available

I dont use live, I really dont care to play ufc against a 9 year old (ect)

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2009, 15:36
Ah yes, which goes back to me paying a subscription to purchase a game or later on re-claiming my property that MAY or MAY NOT be available

I dont use live, I really dont care to play ufc against a 9 year old (ect)

you can buy games on a silver (free) account, and you can turn you Gold account to a sliver at any time, and keep your games

osgeld
September 10th, 2009, 16:01
and when xbox 720 comes out?

the whole thing just seems simpler to stop by one of the 2 dozen places in any town and buy a disk,
instead of managing accounts dealing with forced obsolescence and 2 or 3 days of downloading a set of 8 gig dvd's

and since your going to pay the same price you might as well get a printed manual and a spiffy box for your hassle

apex05
September 10th, 2009, 16:25
Give it a few months and Sony, Ms and Ninty will be saying disks and packaging are bad for the environment and attract the tree huggers saying they helping the environment.

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2009, 18:20
and when xbox 720 comes out?

I can still use my gold account on the original xbox if I want, and use my halo 2 maps that I download/ bought all that time ago.

But really both digital and physical discs have there pros an cons

osgeld
September 10th, 2009, 18:22
lol, maybe

what happens if your xbox goes belly up, can you still download those maps you purchased?

where as I still have cd's that my dad purchased back in 1986 or so, I still have lots of old apple // and pc games on floppy

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2009, 18:48
what happens if your xbox goes belly up, can you still download those maps you purchased?
y

I have had my download games on 4 xboxs now, Some times I just put my account on a memory card (you can recover an account on a different xbox but that take about 15/20mins and it means you will have to do it again when you get back to your own xbox) and i can download any of my xbla games and play them at his house (I wanted to show off REZ HD).

This is how it works, the game is linked to you account and your original xbox it was downloaded on (so that is works when your offline) it also means that other user accounts can play the games on that xbox. You can redownload them on a different xbox, but if you are offline, you can only play them as demos/trials. But you can transfer a game officially to a new xbox but you can only do that once a year . The guide to that is here:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/systemuse/xbox360/licensemigration/default.htm

So it nice to have access to my games from different xboxs, if I want to, but I can't really lend my XBLA games to friends

osgeld
September 10th, 2009, 20:40
well that really does sound A lot more convenient than driving 5 min down the road and getting a copy that you can play anywhere you please

without drm, account management, required internet access, logins and a freaking subscription just to show your buddy a game

next were going to need an rfid chip implant so the controllers can confirm that your the owner and not letting someone else play:rolleyes:

Darksaviour69
September 10th, 2009, 21:58
Not everyone can drive, and for the average jo its never 5 mins, 30mins more like and when you get there its sold out (ok rarely), or they don't have it if its an old game (I have been looking for assassins creed for a few months and all the game shops i have visited in that time don't have it). But the 2 big advantages for me I have 20+ xbla games and bringing them round to a mates house each time if they were retail copies would be a pain. Also you don't have to worry about scratched discs, or misplacing your games.

I not saying you don't have a point (bar subscription, because you don't need a subscription), I'm just saying there is different pros and cons for each

symbal
September 11th, 2009, 18:51
Everyone can talk about pro's and cons untill their teeth go blue.. but apart from the size of the machine digital only is a step backwards for consumers, i mean the original Psp's have both formats so i can choose what to do with games when i'm finished playing, so i will wait until Psp go is hacked and if i want i will buy the umd's and just download the iso's with no feeling of guilt.