PDA

View Full Version : PS3 pad's rumble grumble

wraggster
May 9th, 2006, 17:29
Via CVG (http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=139338)

Like the throb of something rumbling in the palm of your hand? Alas, you won't be getting your kicks out of the new PS3 controller then, after it emerged that Sony has removed the vibration function from its DualShock 2-alike design.

The reason for its omission? It's because it interferes with the controller's own innovative smart new sensor system. So instead of rumbles, you'll get a '3-posture-axis' of roll, pitch and a '3-dimension acceleration information (X, Y, and Z)', which can be detected in high-precision and in real-time. As the press blurb proudly claims, "more natural and more intuitive play will become possible as if the controller has become part of your body."

Sony has also opted for a design that looks strikingly similar to the PS2's own DualShock 2 - as reported earlier today - losing the Boomerang prototype that was recently bandied about. The L2/R2 buttons have been enlarged and feature increased depth for more subtle control, and the tilting angle of the analog sticks have also been broadened for "more delicate manipulation". All this with an increase of information detection from 8 bit to 10 bit.

Sony has also revealed that the pads will feature Bluetooth technology for the option of wireless gaming. Alternatively, a USB port will provide the option of wired gaming and charging.

Finally, in related news, the exact sacrifices of buying the second, cheaper configuration PS3 console have been revealed . Reportedly, the reduced price option, announced yesterday at a US RRP of $499 (or about 340 quid), will not only offer a reduced capacity hard drive of 20GB (compared to the 'bigger' 60GB model), but it will also be missing Wi-Fi capabilities, inputs for Memory Stick and SD and Compact Flash memory cards and any HDMI output. You pays your money...

Miria
May 10th, 2006, 00:25
Shouldnt have gotten rid of the Rumble it was cool on PSX and PS2. Oh well just wait for a third party.

tsurumaru
May 10th, 2006, 00:54
So this has nothing to do with the fact that Microsoft settled their court case and Sony didn't? ;)

stotheamuel
May 10th, 2006, 02:21
So this has nothing to do with the fact that Microsoft settled their court case and Sony didn't? ;)

noooooo couldn't be :rolleyes:

Emeriastone
May 10th, 2006, 03:02
What a shame. It's like sony is into stealing ideas from nintendo now...

emuking
May 10th, 2006, 04:26
oh my god no sony's playstation could possibly die, im not a fanboy of anything but i really liked ps2 games and hoped for this,360 and wii might actually be better, oh well i guess we know who lost:(

Galiano
May 10th, 2006, 16:07
What a shame. It's like sony is into stealing ideas from nintendo now...

What ideas??? If you mean the motion sensor thats not originally nintendos idea. There has been a couple of third party pads with motion sensors one was for the megadrive the other was for ps1.

There are no original ideas in this industry any more most of the innovation i've seen lately has been on the homebrew scene ( Like pspradio etc )

idapimp
May 13th, 2006, 23:06
what are you talking about. the wii controller is totally inovative. and i dont like sony's "i feel threatened, so i must adapt" kinda attitude.

BALL_SAC
May 14th, 2006, 00:18
I think ditching the rumble feature is lame. The sensor is probably going to be cool, but it seems like there has to be a way to slip in a little extra rumble along with it.

Galiano
May 14th, 2006, 19:56
what are you talking about. the wii controller is totally inovative. and i dont like sony's "i feel threatened, so i must adapt" kinda attitude.

Nintendo can't think its that special, they're bringing out a analogue joypad as well. Don't get me wrong i think the wii controller is fab. i just don't think it's the best thing to be playing next gen games on.