PDA

View Full Version : Apple squares up to DS and PSP

wraggster
September 10th, 2009, 15:59
Buying experience for DS and PSP is poor says marketing boss
The competition between iPhone, PSP and DS is hotting up - Apple used its iPod showcase event today to highlight its position in comparison to other handheld games platforms.
Specifically, the firm moved to crticise the buying experience for the DS and PSP in comparison to the iPhone and iPod Touch.
"When [DS and PSP] came out, they seemed so cool. But once you play a game on the iPod touch, you think 'hey, these things aren't so cool any more..." said Apple's marketing VP Phil Schiller.
"We're talking about 25, 30, 40 dollars a title. The kids can't afford those titles. Worse isn't the price, it's the buying experience."
A demo slide at the event compared the quantity of games on the platforms: PSP's 607 games, DS' 3,680 and then iPod touch's 21,178, before kicking into a video montage of App Store games.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/35722/Apple-squares-up-to-DS-and-PSP

JushinLiger
September 10th, 2009, 18:57
iPhone < PSP < DS :P

_X_Zero
September 10th, 2009, 19:38
apple only has 3 Good games out of all the crap they sell,
while the others R idk GAME handelds

gumgod
September 11th, 2009, 01:39
apple only has 3 Good games out of all the crap they sell,
while the others R idk GAME handelds

The ipod touch does have some nice games. If you have one and don't think so you need to do some research. However I will also say this, the ipod games will never replace my DS. The ipod is great for it's own type of game. Unique controls including tilt/motion sensor and multi-touch = fun casual games but where are the buttons? Onscreen controls are not always the best choice.

kurtless
September 12th, 2009, 04:05
I agree with you gumgod.

Big name game companies can make games, I'll use square as an example. They can release a game titled "Final Fantasy" whatever, but as we all know, if it took only a little bit of thought to complete, its poop. A good game takes time, effort, big game titles aren't even going to the Ipod. And even if they go to the ipod, look at metal gear solid, that game for the ipod is just a cheap flashplayer knock off.

Until the Ipod gets a big name game like, for example, Dragon Quest 13 for the DS. ( A game that DOES take itself seriously because of it's place in the dragon quest series, as one of the main dragon quest games). Only until they get good games will they be put into the race against the DS and the PSP.

gumgod
September 16th, 2009, 22:31
I agree with you gumgod.

Big name game companies can make games, I'll use square as an example. They can release a game titled "Final Fantasy" whatever, but as we all know, if it took only a little bit of thought to complete, its poop. A good game takes time, effort, big game titles aren't even going to the Ipod. And even if they go to the ipod, look at metal gear solid, that game for the ipod is just a cheap flashplayer knock off.

Until the Ipod gets a big name game like, for example, Dragon Quest 13 for the DS. ( A game that DOES take itself seriously because of it's place in the dragon quest series, as one of the main dragon quest games). Only until they get good games will they be put into the race against the DS and the PSP.

Idk if they will ever really get the big names like Final Fantasy, but even if they do I still think they will cater to a different market. The ipod will always have different controls than other hand-held devices unless they release a version with buttons. So even if they get big names there will still be a reason to own other systems.

My guess is that they are just trying to get attention. My point was that even without the big names they still have great games. Look at Prey Invasion by 3D realms, or touch touch revenge or hell even Paper Toss and that labyrinth game are fun, but I still love my DS.

I guess I just consider the ipod as a device for casual games, and it's main function music. However they could do some really awesome mmorpg stuff given the processor and wifi capabilities of the ipod touch.