PDA

View Full Version : NanoNote - The new Open Source Threat to Pandora

wraggster
September 12th, 2009, 03:21
QI Hardware (http://www.qi-hardware.com/)are soon to release a new competitor to the Homebrew Arena and its a console with the same family of processor as the PSP and Dingoo with a spanky keyboard similiar to the Unreleased Pandora:

Heres the details:

http://i30.tinypic.com/1zmzea1.png

336 MHz XBurst Jz4720 MIPS-compatible CPU
display: 3.0” color TFT
resolution: 320 x 240, 16.7M color
dimension (mm): 99 x 75 x 17.5 (lid closed)
weight: 126 g (incl. battery)
DRAM: 32MB Synchronous DRAM
headphone jack (3.5 mm)
SDHC microSD
850mAh Li-ion battery
2GB NAND flash memory
mini-USB: USB 2.0 High-Speed Device
speaker and microphone

本: běn. The Chinese character 本 signifies an origin or the beginning place; It signifies exactly what the first version of the NanoNote is: a beginning.

The 本 version of NanoNote is an ultra small form factor computing device. The device sports a 336 MHz processor, 2GB of flash memory, microSD slot, head phone jack, USB device and 850mAh Li-ion battery. It boots Linux out of the box and also boots over USB. It’s targeted squarely at developers who see the promise of open hardware and want to roll their own end user experience. It’s the perfect companion for open content; we envision developers turning the device into a music or video player for Ogg or an offline Wikipedia or MIT OpenCourseWare appliance. Or you can simply amaze your friends by creating an ultra small handheld notebook computer. You choose the distribution. The 本 Nanonote is the first in a line of products that will see the addition of other hardware capabilities. Get your NanoNote and start a Nanoproject today. Or join one of the existing projects in our developer community.

Interesting or Not fellow Homebrew Fans ?

osgeld
September 12th, 2009, 04:47
alright, vaporware to counteract vaporware

half the cpu power, dick ram and qvga!!!! sounds like the pocket pc I just tossed in the bin last week (and heck I only payed 40 bucks for that, but then the battery died, and "they" wanted almost 90 for it)

edit: Oh!! and look 850mha battery, dont they make flashlights with better batteries than that?

Tikker
September 12th, 2009, 05:16
I was going to say, how do you compete against something that doesn't exist?

Tortisetank
September 12th, 2009, 05:28
o.O they made....a....windows 95 platform! The pandora would well it do bad things to this lil laptop if there was nobody watching <,< an if its priced at 200-250 bucks your better off getting a netbook >.>

ojdon
September 12th, 2009, 10:25
These things always interest me, but they take far too long to manufacture and they usually have a hefty price tag too.

Rebrek
September 12th, 2009, 13:47
The CPU and lack of gaming controls make this a moot point. Might as well have been a joke. :3

-Tj-
September 12th, 2009, 14:10
336 MHz XBurst Jz4720 MIPS-compatible CPU
display: 3.0” color TFT
resolution: 320 x 240, 16.7M color
dimension (mm): 99 x 75 x 17.5 (lid closed)
weight: 126 g (incl. battery)
DRAM: 32MB Synchronous DRAM
headphone jack (3.5 mm)
SDHC microSD
850mAh Li-ion battery
2GB NAND flash memory
mini-USB: USB 2.0 High-Speed Device
speaker and microphone
Interesting or Not fellow Homebrew Fans ?

Considering it has a smaller, lower resolution display, less RAM, no mic jack, only one USB port, no tv-out, slower processor, no dedicated gaming controls, no touch screen, only one SDHC microSD slot, much smaller battery, only one speaker... This is hardly a threat to Pandora. The only thing it has going for it is lighter weight, but it is smaller.

It's neat, but I don't see it as interesting for homebrew.

repuken2
September 12th, 2009, 16:19
it's ok if... if it would have been released 5 years ago?

mungrin
September 12th, 2009, 16:38
How bout a control pad and some buttons?

symbal
September 12th, 2009, 17:19
I wouldn't even put this thing in the homebrew section, it's closer too a netbook or pda without controls on it.

Sterist
September 13th, 2009, 00:39
The CPU and lack of gaming controls make this a moot point. Might as well have been a joke. :3

agreed

right off the bat i´d like to get one thing clarified.... 336mHz is a typo on their specifications page. if you click on the Features and Benefits link on the source website, you can see that they state "366mHz"

it´s the producer´s fault that the CPU is being reported as 336 across news sites, however, wraggster, where do you get off calling this a threat to the pandora when it doesn´t have any analog sticks, trigger keys, or any kind of keys that isn´t keyboard or system-function related? :p

;)

pkmaximum
September 13th, 2009, 01:50
Lame.....