PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Learned Something From A VideoGame?

wraggster
September 12th, 2009, 21:31
Time for Tell Us Dammit.

Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, reader person.

You probably know oodles about us - more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob - and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban ya. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion.

Question: Have you ever learned something from a video game?

User Name
September 12th, 2009, 21:53
What liberation means Compression, Flask, Toggle, Rpg Rocket Propelled Grenade. Um lets see What an engagement is to much to list and breeding in Dragon Warrior Monsters. I'd like to thank all those game makers who made that possible thanks. You know who you are :)

ojdon
September 12th, 2009, 21:55
I actually have learnt quite a lot from playing video games, nothing that major but a few questions have been asked when I used to go to school that I only knew the answer to because I've seen it in a game.

unigamer
September 12th, 2009, 22:14
asparagus is a plant (courtesy of Harvest Moon), I was pretty young at the time.

mike_jmg
September 12th, 2009, 23:04
English, my native language is spanish, not really everything, but a lot of vocabulary

some other things I guess, but can't remember right now

symbal
September 12th, 2009, 23:05
Certain mushrooms make you super...

osgeld
September 12th, 2009, 23:34
I learned how to kill a hooker without getting a warrant

Actually since I grew up in the 80's and edutainment was all the rage I have learned a lot from games, math, spelling, and spent way too much time on Carmen Sandiego

irishwhip
September 12th, 2009, 23:42
I learned that sailors hang out in bars at night

goshogun1
September 13th, 2009, 00:01
I have learned quite a bit of information about real Weapons, and gadgets from the Metal Gear series. Although some of it is fictional, a lot of time and effort went into researching real weapons. They had a military advisor for the recent ones. Also learned a lot about various flora and fauna from MGS 3.

ssnake
September 13th, 2009, 03:19
Learned a ****ing lot of info in MGS, these games really educated me... And made me billingual, I'm french, and I learned English with the first solid game.

Eviltaco64
September 13th, 2009, 03:24
I've learned that curling up in a ball and rolling in place makes you go even faster.

Pilot_51
September 13th, 2009, 04:24
The most obvious things to me that I've learned from games are how to fly planes and a bunch of stuff about WWII. There's also the more generalized things like hand-eye coordination, strategy, creativity, percentage of people who are abnormally immature for their age, etc.

Most of my flight learning was in the MS Flight Simulator series, starting at FS98. It is the reason I have this nickname, which I chose in 1999 when I joined the MSN Gaming Zone. I've also been flying some Radio Control flight sims, mainly RealFlight G2.

My WWII knowledge mostly came from Battlefield 1942, or at the least BF1942 increased my general interest in WWII which in turn made it interesting to learn from other sources such as Wikipedia. In fact, I became so fascinated in WWII that I made a realism mod for the game which involved tons of research that I never got bored with.
BF1942 would also be my favorite game to fly in because of the simplicity and very realistic flight physics.

Mischa
September 13th, 2009, 09:54
Yes, some games really learned me something.

The first Tetris for instance, has tought me an even quicker responds and logical reasoning.

kojiro7
September 13th, 2009, 10:30
varius things but the most important were they helped me to improve my english(i was playing lots of rpgs in the old days which having many text)

BoBKiD
September 13th, 2009, 12:22
I learned English (I am from Greece) and, since my first game ever was Larry 1 (PC), I learned that walking on the street with a condom on, is illegal!

Z3R0B4NG
September 13th, 2009, 18:20
Also English (I'm from Germany)... in addition to music and movies, but the games came first.

I also believe playing all those Racing Games (NFS 3 - 6, especially Porsche) helped my understanding of driving physics, for Driving School it helped me at least in the first driving hours, not so much with the theoretical stuff though... (well that was some years ago. today i would say GRID, Forza 2 and Dirt 2... NFS has gotten way to shitty the last years. But let me try that Shi(f)t first ;P )

Also i learned a lot about Computer Software and Hardware, because of PC Games in general.
I know enough people who play with their PC's, use the Internet, Office and stuff but dont know sh*t about their System.

I also type faster on the Keyboard then my Mother who worked in an office all her life. Nothing special but should be noted.

Oh and i learned that the human eye can see a lot more then 30fps ;P

zxxxy18
September 14th, 2009, 14:19
i learned meny weapon names, and i kinda got better in english when i played runescape, but now i see its wery lame game... i also learned a new word that can be used as a bad word. its "BOT".

criashqui
September 15th, 2009, 04:54
Thanks a lot. I think it's funny too.

Property, asset, project, document and internet management software (http://internetmanagementsoftware.org)