PDA

View Full Version : [Release] PSPBEEB A BBC Micro Emulator for PSP v1.0.1 !

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 19:34
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspbeeb-snap2.jpg

Hi All,

BeebEm is a famous emulator of the BBC Micro computer series running on both windows and unix. (see beebem (http://www.mikebuk.dsl.pipex.com/beebem/) )

Originally developed for UNIX systems in 1994 by David Alan Gilbert, it was then ported to windows by Richard Gellman and Mike Wyatt in 1997. At the start of October 2005, David Eggleston started porting the current Windows version of BeebEm (version 2.3) to FreeBSD.

I've sucessfully modified, and port the source code of the 0.0.4 version from Dave Eggleston using PSPSDK environment. It's now working fine on PSP !

It has been developped on linux for Firmware 2.5 using the great GTA eloader (0.97), but it should work properly on other firmwares.I've integrated a 1.5FW binary version (kxploit).

How to use it ? Everything is in the README.txt file.

It's a first beta release and work still remain ...

Sources are included, and this package is under "Beebem" licence, read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

PS: Special thanks to Danzel and Jeff Chen for their virtual keyboard, and to all PSPSDK developpers.

Enjoy, :)

Zx.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

wraggster
May 13th, 2006, 19:47
bloody hell your a one man porting machine, thanks for another great emulator for the PSP, your surely the master of ports :)

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 20:02

daz01
May 13th, 2006, 20:31
thanks for the nice old Shool Game :cool:

Amiga
May 13th, 2006, 20:35
ZX81,i now love the French lol :D

joesnose
May 13th, 2006, 20:52
great work, keep them coming.

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 20:53
ZX81,i now love the French lol :D

Lol ! :D :D :D

Video_freak
May 13th, 2006, 21:00
yay for France! (this coming from a frenchie....lol)
btw, great emu

cato`
May 13th, 2006, 21:09
I remember the BBC from when I was little, nice memories.

Thanks for the port zx-81!

bah
May 13th, 2006, 21:42
zx-81, I dont know what to say, it wasnt long ago that the idea ofg a bbc emu was mentioned and here already is a fully functional port with perfect gfx, playable speed and nice GUI :)

You are a bloody legend, MR E is completely playable, I attached a screen and the KB config.

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 21:48
Excellent, good to know :)

I have tried only few games such as snapper :D

emulator2
May 13th, 2006, 22:31
I didn't think you'd act on my suggestion for a BBC Micro emulator for PSP, let alone publish such an advanced emulator so quickly. Well done!

The emulator is a great start and works with all the games I've tested so far. I've tried Castle Quest, Citadel, Repton, Exile, Plan B and Sabre Wulfe.

Google 'stairwaytohell' to get a comprehensive BBC Micro site.

I'm hoping that you can implement saves and tweak it to the same high standard as your Amstrad CPC emulator.

Keep up the good work!

bah
May 13th, 2006, 22:41
Zx-81, one little thing. I may just be going crazy, but I cant seem to input the chars ] or } (same key) by cycling through the list or the virtual KB (its there but selecting it does nothing).

BBC games never seemed to find a standard kb layout all could be happy with, labyrinth wants that key for fire.

Thanks again, this is a fantastic release. I cant get over how much works great for a first release, the only thing that isnt 100% is speed :)

Remove the screens if theyre offensive. Videogames: destroying society long before Hot Coffee.

Zip has KB mapping for DareDevikDenis, Frak, Galaforce and Mr E.

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 22:49
I didn't think you'd act on my suggestion for a BBC Micro emulator for PSP, let alone publish such an advanced emulator so quickly. Well done!

The emulator is a great start and works with all the games I've tested so far. I've tried Castle Quest, Citadel, Repton, Exile, Plan B and Sabre Wulfe.

Google 'stairwaytohell' to get a comprehensive BBC Micro site.

Thanks for the hint, i've found many games now :D

I'm hoping that you can implement saves and tweak it to the same high standard as your Amstrad CPC emulator.

For sure, it's in my to-do list ;)

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 22:52
Zx-81, one little thing. I may just be going crazy, but I cant seem to input the chars ] or } (same key) by cycling through the list or the virtual KB (its there but selecting it does nothing).

BBC games never seemed to find a standard kb layout all could be happy with, labyrinth wants that key for fire.

I've spent hours to find how to produce those 5 keys (^ { } [ ] ) in BeebEm without any success, i will investigate a bit more.

Thanks again, this is a fantastic release. I cant get over how much works great for a first release, the only thing that isnt 100% is speed :)

I've not focus on the speed, so work still remain on this subject.

Fanjita
May 13th, 2006, 23:16
Ah, one of my favourite ever platforms.

You, sir, are probably the most prolific developer in PSP homebrew, and I salute you. :)

D0N
May 13th, 2006, 23:31
Great work zx-81!

zx-81
May 13th, 2006, 23:54
Ah, one of my favourite ever platforms.

You, sir, are probably the most prolific developer in PSP homebrew, and I salute you. :)

Thanks. :)

mr_nick666
May 14th, 2006, 00:03
Thanks for all your work ZX! :D You are a bit of a genious on the old PSP (I know Im a kiss ass!) and are responsible for many lost hours - dont ever let my girlfriend find you!! ;)
My avatar may become a homage to you! Thanks again mate :)

Voltron
May 14th, 2006, 03:19
Freaking Amazing. You are one of the great saviours of retro gaming. Keeping memories and fun alive forever with these great Emulators.

Truly great work. And much appreciated by all.

zx-81
May 14th, 2006, 16:41
Thanks for all your work ZX! :D You are a bit of a genious on the old PSP (I know Im a kiss ass!) and are responsible for many lost hours - dont ever let my girlfriend find you!! ;)

Here is the same, my wife wish i never bought a PSP lol !

mog
May 14th, 2006, 19:06
!!! yay Repton... just like my old Acorn Electron... I never had a BBC, but I think they were very similar?

I can't wait to try Elite, Synchron, Mr.Wiz, etc... :p
hope BBC had these games.

Andraik
May 14th, 2006, 20:40
You are amazing, keep it up!

IronChicken
May 14th, 2006, 21:36
Chuckie Egg here I come.

ukkevinl
May 14th, 2006, 21:56
Fantastic! makes me feel really nostalgic.

One small question, is there any way of accessing the f0 to f9 keys? They're vital for playing games like elite!

cheers

Kevin

zx-81
May 14th, 2006, 22:04
Fantastic! makes me feel really nostalgic.

One small question, is there any way of accessing the f0 to f9 keys? They're vital for playing games like elite!

cheers

Kevin

Some keys (such as { } [ ] ) are missing in this version, but you can access function keys using the virtual keyboard (on the panel with many F, these are function keys).

:)

ukkevinl
May 14th, 2006, 22:29
Some keys (such as { } [ ] ) are missing in this version, but you can access function keys using the virtual keyboard (on the panel with many F, these are function keys).

:)

Thanks for the tip, cant seem to get f0 to work though. Any ideas? Ive got to the panel with the f keys and can get f1-9 to work but not f0 is it the one on the bottom right?

cheers

Kevin

zx-81
May 14th, 2006, 22:38
The f0 key is not on the virtual keyboard, you have to map it directly on a PSP button, using the keyboard editor ;).

ukkevinl
May 14th, 2006, 22:45
The f0 key is not on the virtual keyboard, you have to map it directly on a PSP button, using the keyboard editor ;).

Great, just done that - thanks.

cheers

Kevin