PDA

View Full Version : iPlayer GBA-DS Emulator ver1.0 - GBA Emulator for DS/DSI

wraggster
September 19th, 2009, 15:53
News Flash - GBA SP with 2GB Hard Drive Released (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=247386)

Darkchen (http://darkchen.blog.com/) has released the first public version of his astounding GBA Emulator for the Nintendo DS and indeed the DSI and only for the IPlayer Flashcart (http://www.ishopvideogame.com/ds-iplayer-kingston-8gb-microsd-transflash-memory-card-p-1662.html?ref=131), heres the release notes:

http://www.youtube.com/v/UpwuVfQd-RM

- Video & Audio
Graphic size: Original size
Game fast forward: default is off. The frame skip level will be set into 9 when you turn on it, then you can play games with the fastest speed
Frame skip type: default is auto, you can set it into Manual, then you can set the frame skip level
Frame skip level: the higher level the faster game speed
Sound switch: switch on/off the sound

- Save State
Write game state: limited 32 slots
Read game state: read saves with the screenshot and date

http://i38.tinypic.com/33jjpcp.jpg

- Cheats
Supports Pro Action Replay/Gameshark codes.
Put the cheat files into /Gamecht/

- Tools
Screen snapshot:
Save the pics as .png format into /Gamepic/
Supports auto display pics

- Others
Supports Auto standby
Supports CHT/ENG

Note:
Suggest to format microsd card into FAT format, it’s faster :p

How to use:
1st, Make sure the fireware and OS of your iPlayer is the lastest version
2nd, There are CHT/ENG 2 emulators in the zip file. Install the one which fit your iPlayer
3rd, Copy the whole NDS-GBA folder and files into /_system/

Remember you need a DS Iplayer (http://www.ishopvideogame.com/ds-iplayer-cid-170.html?ref=131) which can be brought in many options from Ishop VideoGame (http://www.ishopvideogame.com/ds-iplayer-cid-170.html?ref=131).

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

.:PSP1.0:.
September 19th, 2009, 23:45
Awesome news! Thanks Wraggy! :)

Megatron222
September 20th, 2009, 00:50
Great work they said it could not be done :) Any hope this will ever work on the R4,M3,EZ Flash,Acekard etc.?

indaman
September 20th, 2009, 09:27
Any hope this will ever work on the R4,M3,EZ Flash,Acekard etc.?

This will NEVER EVER work on those flashcards...

As long as they do not release antoher flashcart with an extra cpu and extra ram (16MB).

And actually the cpu spec of the Iplayer are pretty awesome (200Mhz arm9 + 400Mhz DSP, can even go higher, but it's certainly underclocked).

wraggster
September 20th, 2009, 10:04
Does anyone have the full specs of the Iplayer ?

for me and i suppose many others is the fact that the Iplayer could become the main flash cart for the DS/DSI if we can get much higher performance for emulators, think of full speed Snes and other emulators, dare i say a poke at n64 emulation :P

indaman
September 20th, 2009, 10:32
Does anyone have the full specs of the Iplayer ?

If you want to take a look, here is the datasheet of the main cpu:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320dm6441.pdf

ChaoticanarchyX
September 20th, 2009, 13:00
Is anyone else having a fun time trying to get this to work, I've been playing around with it since yesterday and still cant get it to work.

Edit, had a total noob moment there, I have it working now xD
I also now notice that for some reason the classic games like zelda 1&2 and mario 1 & 2 they will not load up. They start to load and then go right back to the main Iplayer screen.

Hypershell
September 20th, 2009, 19:16
for me and i suppose many others is the fact that the Iplayer could become the main flash cart for the DS/DSI if we can get much higher performance for emulators, think of full speed Snes and other emulators, dare i say a poke at n64 emulation :PA shame that iPlayer lacks commercial compatibility, I buy my actual cartridges but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy a romhack or two (extra courses online in Mario Kart DS, and my own "undub" of MegaMan ZX).

One thing to bear in mind is that every card currently on the market works in the DSi's legacy mode; that is, as if it's running on any other DS system (67Mhz ARM9, 33Mhz ARM7, 4MB RAM). DSi's native mode, which has barely been utilized by the homebrew community, uses its ARM9 at 133Mhz with 16MB of RAM.

Still not quite up to the iPlayer, even so, it makes you wonder if GBA emulation could be done without it. I mean, there was a time when people said you couldn't emulate GBC on GBA, then we got Goomba Color (by no means perfect but pretty damn close).

Exophase
September 20th, 2009, 21:50
If you want to take a look, here is the datasheet of the main cpu:

http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/tms320dm6441.pdf

Do you have any evidence to back up that it's using that SoC? I explain here (http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=179948&st=180&gopid=2264399&#entry2264399) why it's probably not using it: biggest doubt is price. I think it's probably using an Ingenic jz37xx chip, like many other low cost things coming out of China these days.

It's almost definitely a port of gpSP too (not VBA)

DanTheManMS
September 21st, 2009, 05:03
I also now notice that for some reason the classic games like zelda 1&2 and mario 1 & 2 they will not load up. They start to load and then go right back to the main Iplayer screen.

There are IPS patch files to make the Classic NES series work better. But I have to question why you would try to play these games considering that they are themselves just emulated NES games, when you can use NES DS much more effectively and with more features.

Flygon
September 21st, 2009, 08:44
I am still disappointed.

I view this effort as essentially wasted, what about when DSi view finally becomes viable?

Sonny_Jim
September 21st, 2009, 11:04
I don't see it as wasted at all. If anything, it was a hoot to see Darkchen prove everybody (including me) wrong.

ChaoticanarchyX
September 24th, 2009, 00:01
There are IPS patch files to make the Classic NES series work better. But I have to question why you would try to play these games considering that they are themselves just emulated NES games, when you can use NES DS much more effectively and with more features.

Because they are "resized" properly and stuff, and you get some sort of "extra" features.
Besides that, can you find the Fdisk.sys required to play super mario 2? (<------- satire)
(Really I hope thats not anywhere near pirecy talk)

kurtless
September 25th, 2009, 02:32
An n64 emulator could be possible, maybe, probably not. The PSP has 32 MB of ram I think. And its still slow on N64 Emulation, so, 16MB with the iplayer? Naw.

NykoBass
October 23rd, 2009, 17:06
Hi all

will the team of TTDS will be able to come up with a gba emul too? and if possible when?

Flygon
October 24th, 2009, 06:24
A GBA emulator for a stock STANDARD Nintendo DS is impossible.

So, Bass, you're screwed sorry.

NykoBass
October 27th, 2009, 01:15
Ooups sorry did i said ds no lol i wanted to say DSI with the team of TTDSI (top toy) that my card and is it compatible with it? (the emulator)

sorry for inconvience:D

DanTheManMS
October 27th, 2009, 02:34
No, you will never see a playable GBA emulator running on the DSTT. The reason it works on the iPlayer is because that cart has its own CPU and RAM that the emulator uses to run the emulator.

astro-greg
November 4th, 2009, 02:09
I have not been able to get this to work on an iPlayer. I get stuck trying to load from the homebrew folder.

Mad March Harris
November 6th, 2009, 05:45
I'm having trouble too. I'm trying to work it on my DS Lite and it's getting stuck while reaching the loading screen. Any help?

Mad March Harris
November 7th, 2009, 01:56
Can someone please help?I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong with this. The NDSGBA folder is in the plugins folder on my iplayer. It does everything it's supposed to do except it freezes every time I try and load a GBA game. I also have the latest OS/firmware and really can't think of anything I'm doing wrong aside from possibly missing some sort of file, having a file in the wrong place, or the fact that this emulator doesn't work on the DS Lite.

kally
November 7th, 2009, 03:09
Thats good to hear but there features that are not included its abit dissapointing. I liked vice city but san andreas didnt have some thing from it like buying businesses which was abit of a let down because whats the point of having alot of money when you can do anything with it.

kally
November 7th, 2009, 03:10
I was a little disappointed to see some of the "improvements" from GTA-SA have not been carried forwards, such as the degree of character personalisation eg. haircuts, body mass modification through work outs etc.

Mad March Harris
November 10th, 2009, 17:35
Bump. I still need help.

sabbath27
November 18th, 2009, 19:56
I am still disappointed.

I view this effort as essentially wasted, what about when DSi view finally becomes viable?

Sorry but what is "Dsi view"? I searched all over the place and can't find anything like that. :confused:

Just bought an iplayer for this though. :D

Flygon
November 18th, 2009, 21:45
Uh, whoops.

Note to self: Don't confuse the words view with ware.

Manfred f.
December 5th, 2009, 12:14
Hello,
I´m new here I´m from Germany and can´t so good english!

sorry! :)
!

Mike Ruas
December 5th, 2009, 19:29
GBA Flash Advance Cards and GBA Flash Memory Writable Cards are a very good way to get the most of our Gameboy Advance SP experience. These cards are development kits which are used to transfer games for the PC directly to a cartridge which can be played in the Gameboy Advance GBA system.

I like them..

Don't be late for Christmas - R4i, R4DS, DSTT - DS-MEMORY.NET (http://ds-memory.net/) - #1 in DS Flash Cards

metalcrysisgear
January 4th, 2010, 16:02
and they said it was impossible. nothing is impossible, maybe improbable, maybe unlikely, but not impossible.

HA! IN YOUR FACES NON-BELIEVERS! ITS BEEN DONE! AND THEN SOME!

and this makes me wish i got an iplayer instead of r4.
when will someone make an r4 one.

AND IF YOU ARE GONNA REPLY WITH A (puts on mocking voice)
"oh, it is impossible because the r4 is not as powerful as the iplayer", GO READ THE ABOVE IN MY POST

silverchaos2
January 30th, 2010, 11:35
does this work on r4 i really wanna play gba games on my r4?

DanTheManMS
January 31st, 2010, 01:43
No. Read the thread before you post.

jipjip395
February 2nd, 2010, 12:26
is it only for iplayer flashcard or can i use it on dstti too?

GiNO2716
February 3rd, 2010, 22:24
Much like Mad March Harris, I cannot figure out where to put the correct files/folders to correctly make the GBA emulator work for the iplayer! It sounds like several people know how to make it work (as well as several people on youtube) but I cannot. I have the most current firmware, etc....i just don't know where to put things.

If I put the NDSGBA and other items in the _system folder, it will not recognize the gba.plg that runs the program (i think...obviously, i do not know because I have yet to make it work).

Does the download: iplayer_didl_source have anything to do with it??

If so/if not...what does it do!??

PLEASE HELP!

-GiNO

GiNO2716
February 3rd, 2010, 22:27
Oh...and also, if I put the NDSGBA and other items in the _system -> plugins Folder, I get a never ending loading screen once I click on Homebrew from the main menu.

I've heard that I need to put the NDSGBA in the Root of the flash card, but doing that, I still cannot start the emulator because it is an "Warning, Unknown blah blah blah"

Help plz!

steven102716677
February 16th, 2010, 01:37
does tis work on action replay dsi?:confused:

GiNO2716
February 18th, 2010, 01:31
Anyone's iPlayer GBA emu working well....cuz I'd like a lil info on how to make mine work correctly plz =/

r3w1ndx3
February 19th, 2010, 19:26

leunidas
February 20th, 2010, 23:18
thanks!

GiNO2716
February 25th, 2010, 19:16
Leunidas,

Did you end up figuring it all out? Just wondering if your "thanks" was because you got some answers or if it was just a BUMP.

Still left at dead ends, btw. PM me or something with a little help please!

Freefall
March 9th, 2010, 04:25
Hey, I'm having the same problem a couple of other people mentioned, so I thought I would post here instead of making a separate thread.

Basically, I just got an iPlayer and want to play GBA games. I'm trying this on a DS Lite, not DSi. I downloaded the most recent OS and placed it in the root of my SD card, along with the update.dat. When I turned it on, it asked to update, and did so to 1.06. It did not ask me for my name, it did not go to a white screen or make weird noises, and it didn't change any of the icons like a lot of people have said is supposed to happen. However, it plays videos and lameboy fine, so maybe that is just for the DSi?

Anyway, the problem comes in trying to install the GBA player. When I put the plugin files from Darkchen's emulator into the plugins folder in the _system folder, and try to go to homebrew, nothing happens. It just keeps loading forever. I did some fiddling, and it seems like the problem is the gba.ini file. Without that, I can access the homebrew folder just fine without it locking up, but unfortunately, it won't read the gba.plg or the roms, so it seems like it is useless without this file.

Anyway, does anyone have any advice for this? It really sucks that it apparently can't do the one thing I actually bought it for.

Freefall
March 11th, 2010, 08:09
I finally got the emulator to work on my DSi. Basically, it seems like there are (at least) two different versions. Initially I downloaded the file from http://www.dsiplayer.com/

This version did not work, and nothing I did would get the emulator running. However, I then tried downloading a different (older?) version from here http://www.zophar.net/consoles/nds/gba.html

And everything worked fine, just dropped the plugins folder into the system folder, put it in my DS Lite, and everything was running fine. I have no idea what the differences between the files are, but it seemed to be enough to make one version useless on my lite. Maybe it's a firmware issue, or maybe it got bugged somewhere along the line, but the one from Zophar hasn't given me any problems.

picky33
April 13th, 2010, 04:20
I figured out the problem...

Follow my steps:

Copy All Files to Plugins Folder(/_System/Plugins)
Open the GBA.INI File
Replace : icon=mmc:\_SYSTEM\PLUGINS\gba.bmp
itemIcon=mmc:\_SYSTEM\PLUGINS\gba1.bmp
with : icon=_SYSTEM\PLUGINS\gba.bmp
itemIcon=_SYSTEM\PLUGINS\gba1.bmp
Save and Enjoy

virustwin
April 18th, 2010, 01:41
everything else works fine but neither in-game nor save states work for me. i have the dsi and i tried the trick where you have to exit completely before shutting off the console but that didnt work either.. please help