PDA

View Full Version : [Release] PSPBEEB A BBC Micro Emulator for PSP v1.0.2 !

zx-81
May 14th, 2006, 22:26
http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/pspbeeb-snap2.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSPBEEB the BBC Micro Emulator for PSP.

What's new in version 1.0.2 :

- Add missing keys in the virtual keyboard
- Add Zip archive support for disk files (.ssd ...), keyboard (.kbd) and state files (.uef).
- Add Load/Save/Del emulator states menu
- Add menu to change the BBC hardware Model
- Add a frameskip option
- Speed optimization (frame display)

How to use it ?

Have a look to the README.txt file !

Two binary versions (for 2.x and 1.5 FW) and sources are included in the zip archive.

Sources are included, and this package is under "Beebem" licence, read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

Enjoy, :D

Zx.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

ukkevinl
May 14th, 2006, 22:34
brilliant just playing with the old version now so I'm going to update. thanks for the release!

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 14th, 2006, 22:43
ahhh reminds me of my old school days :) time to pop on my rose tinted glasses again I think.

61jason61
May 14th, 2006, 23:00
only get corrupt data using fw 2.7

zx-81
May 14th, 2006, 23:04
only get corrupt data using fw 2.7

Only flash application works on 2.7 ;).

This one works with FW up to 2.6 using GTA eloader 0.97 from Ditlew & Fanjita.

joesnose
May 15th, 2006, 02:41
brilliant, i have a bbc micro but it doesn't fit in my pocket.

im trying to play thrust, i love that game, but left turn is capslock and it doesnt seem to emulate it very well, all other functions work, and if i use the on screen keyboard it works fine, its just assigning it to the buttons\d-pad that doesn't work!

bah
May 15th, 2006, 02:59
ZX-81, thankyou.

Nice update mate, laberinth is 100% playable with the } key working now. Save states have worked perfectly so far and frameskip 1 seems to make the sound quality better just due to the game running near full speed.

You can make out the speech at the start of citadel if you listen for it!

It looks like I'll be spending a lot of time with this emu, grinning my head off the whole time.

bah
May 15th, 2006, 03:13
brilliant, i have a bbc micro but it doesn't fit in my pocket.

im trying to play thrust, i love that game, but left turn is capslock and it doesnt seem to emulate it very well, all other functions work, and if i use the on screen keyboard it works fine, its just assigning it to the buttons\d-pad that doesn't work!

I just tried myself, if you tap the hell out of left it does turn a little, its probably just the auto-repeat speed of caps or somthing.

I'm sure ZX will be on the case when he has some time. :)

zx-81
May 15th, 2006, 09:25
I just tried myself, if you tap the hell out of left it does turn a little, its probably just the auto-repeat speed of caps or somthing.

I'm sure ZX will be on the case when he has some time. :)

Yes it should be due to the auto-repeat speed ... i will have a look on it :)

mog
May 15th, 2006, 11:54
what file formats does this emulator accept for game discs?

from what i've found, there are 5 common different file extensions used with bbc discs.

.img .ssd .dsd .rom or raw files with a .inf file.

Which of these are compatible with this emulator?
.ssd files seem to be the only ones that load. :confused:

zx-81
May 15th, 2006, 13:17

from what i've found, there are 5 common different file extensions used with bbc discs.

.img .ssd .dsd .rom or raw files with a .inf file.

Which of these are compatible with this emulator?
.ssd files seem to be the only ones that load. :confused:

You can convert data/.inf files to .ssd file using bbcim
(see http://www.bbcmicrogames.com/GettingStarted.html)

All disc image are not bootable, so you may have to enter commands manually using :

*CAT to display the content of the disc
CHAIN"hello" to run the hello program present on the disc.

You can also use the windows version of BeebEm and save state (.uef files) that can be then loaded directly on PSPBeeb.

:)

mr_nick666
May 15th, 2006, 15:00
Thanks for all the work ZX :D What with all the retro emulators for my PSP now Im fully misty eyed :rolleyes: Living in the 80s! :o

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 15:36
makes you wonder doesnt it were all itching to play games we were playing on 20yrs + ago says alot for new games doesnt it I reckon you will be able to count on one hand the amoount of games you will want to return back to in the next 20. *sigh*

zx-81
May 15th, 2006, 21:05

In next version you will be able to load and run directly .img files.

You should just set the name of the file to run in a run.txt file, like in PSPCap32 (Amstrad CPC Emulator for PSP). :)

Hungry Horace
May 16th, 2006, 01:41
makes you wonder doesnt it were all itching to play games we were playing on 20yrs + ago

what are you talking about?? i havent *stopped* playing those games from 20 years ago... ever!

even when i used to run my amiga 1200 as my main computer, (internet and all i might add) i used to emulate my zx spectrum on it!

nice to see some more retro-love, but i think i'll pass on the BBC emulator. We used to use them at school, and i seem to remember a good game... was it "Citadel" or something?

anyway, i bet you'll all be playing Granny's Garden for hours now on your psps, although if you want to play Manic Miner, you really should be playing the spectrum version!

good work though zx!

mog
May 16th, 2006, 01:45
Thanks for your help zx-81... i went on the BeebEm site and it said it only used .ssd and .dsd
I should have checked that first.

I was just a bit confused, because on my Laptop, I have Acorn Electron emulators, because that's what I had when I was little.
Acorn Electron emulators only seems to have one file type used for games - .uef

It's a shame about the sound... mr wiz and repton just aren't right with no real sound...
I realy wanna play hobgoblin, it used to be one of my favourite games...
Hobgoblin works on this emu, but when you try to move left or right, the character always jumps as well?
I don't understand why this happens?, the keys are all mapped properly? :(

bah
May 16th, 2006, 06:12
Hobgoblin works on this emu, but when you try to move left or right, the character always jumps as well?
I don't understand why this happens?, the keys are all mapped properly? :(

If the key for jump is shift, then use lower case letters for the other keys(directions).

Hope that helps.

Dare Devil Denis
May 16th, 2006, 13:52
Great work ZX-81.

My parents bought me a BBC when I was 9. As with most parents at the time, they thought it would be "educational". Ha! No way! I played Frak, Manic Miner, Chucky Egg, and of course:

"Dare Devil Denis". Yes, that's where I got my internet id from. My real name is not even Denis!! Ha ha.

Please keep working on this great emulator. So many other guys release a first version of an emulator and then get bored and don't bother going the extra step to make a nice polished version.

Based on the performance of SnesTYL, I am sure this BBC emulator can reach full speed, zero frameskip.

brais
May 16th, 2006, 14:03
brilliant just playing with the old version now so I'm going to update. thanks for the release!
hola soy brais de espaņa pero no se instalar el emulador :confused:

zx-81
May 16th, 2006, 14:37
Please keep working on this great emulator. So many other guys release a first version of an emulator and then get bored and don't bother going the extra step to make a nice polished version.

Based on the performance of SnesTYL, I am sure this BBC emulator can reach full speed, zero frameskip.

Don't worry, i'm working on it :)

zx-81
May 16th, 2006, 15:11
hola soy brais de espaņa pero no se instalar el emulador :confused:

Can you give us some more details about what you didn't succeed to do ? :)

mog
May 16th, 2006, 23:58
If the key for jump is shift, then use lower case letters for the other keys(directions).

Hope that helps.Woa, how odd... I was thinking about just trying lowercase anyway, but i can't see how this makes any sense. :confused:
Did the original bbc hardware behave like that?
i'm fairly sure the Electron didnt do that when caps lock was on...

Oh well, just glad it works now. :cool:

bah
May 17th, 2006, 03:24
Did the original bbc hardware behave like that?
i'm fairly sure the Electron didnt do that when caps lock was on...

I'd say it has to do with the virtual keyboard mapping, Shift is getting called to generate the upper case letter.

I'm really not smart enough to know how emulators actually handle mapping the emulated system's keyboard codes to buttons on the system doing the emulating.

zx-81
May 17th, 2006, 09:34
I'd say it has to do with the virtual keyboard mapping, Shift is getting called to generate the upper case letter.

Yes that's it :)

I'm really not smart enough to know how emulators actually handle mapping the emulated system's keyboard codes to buttons on the system doing the emulating.

In original BeebEm code, the keyboard handler doesn't work very well on Linux. Capslock and Shift key behavior on real BBC Micro is a bit strange anyway ...

Dare Devil Denis
May 31st, 2006, 13:55
Hi zx-81,

I guess you've been busy with your other emulators. Any news on a new version of PSPBeeb?

-- We all KNOW the BBC Micro is the only thing worth playing on a PSP :-p

zx-81
May 31st, 2006, 14:04
Hi zx-81,

I guess you've been busy with your other emulators. Any news on a new version of PSPBeeb?

-- We all KNOW the BBC Micro is the only thing worth playing on a PSP :-p

I've done a final release (v1.0.5) :)

here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=25183)

joshua01793
June 4th, 2007, 21:19
thanks i rily lick the beebem but i do wish that the file format was the same for the pc v and the psp one thanks a lot

armstrong
June 19th, 2007, 15:08
Can anyone give me a link so i can find granny's garden rom?
would be much appreciated