PDA

View Full Version : PSPVice The C64 emulator for the PSP v0.4 Beta2

wraggster
May 14th, 2006, 22:59
Christophe (http://perso.numericable.fr/~ckckck/C64_PSPVice.html) has released a new beta version of his Commodore64 emulator Vice for the PSP.

http://psp-news.dcemu.co.uk/files/PSPViceShot08.jpg

Heres whats new:

Bug fixed :

- Sound is now better
- Sound is not disabled when loading a quick snapshot
- True Drive emulation is now "off" after reset (drive-ressource.c)

What is still not working :

- True drive emulation is not working (Same problem on PC when Drive8Type=0 in config.ini instead of Drive8Type=1541).

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 00:07
Cool a sweet update to a great 1st release !!!

PeterM
May 15th, 2006, 00:51
Hello there,

I couldn't get it to work on my 2.60, it does a standard crash (black screen for 10 seconds then turns off).

Pete

SmashinGit
May 15th, 2006, 08:10
Thanks Cristophe, this and Pspectrum is why my psp still gets played :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 11:00
No 3 welcome to firmware 2.60 lol :)

PeterM
May 15th, 2006, 12:09
No 3 welcome to firmware 2.60 lol :)Indeed. Technically there's no reason why it shouldn't work though - Chris Swindle's and my Quake port runs fine on 2.60.

O-bake
May 15th, 2006, 12:49
Nice one, thanks a lot :)

It's definately getting better and i've been waiting for good C64-emulation a long time. Somehow strange that many systems are emulated perfectly since a long time, but such popular machine like the C64 takes so much time...

No offend here, absolutely not ;)

but i have 3 questions:

1) have you thought of adding the floppy LED to maybe the bottom left corner? then you could easily see, if the emu hangs or it's still loading.

2) have you thought of adding vertical synchronization? in platformers the vertical distortion doesn't look nice... (i know it costs a lot of power, but maybe some games can handle this)

3) minor cosmetic problem: the path to the folder name seems fixed, i would like to rename it, so the corrupted item dissapears.

anyway, thanks for your work :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 12:58
i was been sardonic PeterM.

PeterM
May 15th, 2006, 13:15
Thanks for the heads up.

Kristof
May 15th, 2006, 16:39
Thanks Guys for comments

I sent my sources to someone that is going to look why PSPVice is not running on 2.6.

1) have you thought of adding the floppy LED to maybe the bottom left corner?

It is done but only for "true drive emulation". In VICE when "fake" 1541 is used, the floppy does not have any activity informations (try on WinVice you'll see).

2) have you thought of adding vertical synchronization?

This is quite complexe because PSP is 60Hz and C64 PAL is 50Hz. Try to play in NTSC mode, you'll certaintly have perfect display.

3) minor cosmetic problem: the path to the folder name seems fixed

Yes. This is part of my "todo" list.

Habs69M
May 15th, 2006, 19:09
Is it supose to work on a 1.5? cause when i load the emu it returns to the psp menu without loading

Kristof
May 15th, 2006, 19:53
Yes, works perfectly on 1.5

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 16th, 2006, 10:26
Anyway to force pal 50 on the psp vice maybe have a word with another coder anyway great app brings back alotof good childhood memories for me here in the uk *sigh* time to pop my rose tinted glasses back on and play exploding fist 2 again I think....:)

verstappenpsp
May 16th, 2006, 11:55
I noticed some comments about it not working on 2.6

I worked on my 2.6 kind off, I played planetfall (infocom) and that worked fine

I tried playing last ninja 1 and it got though the initial credit stage and crashed on what i assume is the cheat stage ie infinite lives.

Outrun did not work for me either. just refused to load

I have not had a chance to try other roms

I hope that this info helps as I am a diehard fan of the c64 with the tape drive and 1541 disk unit.

And lets face it the music in the Last Nija series that the SID chip was capable of outputting was fantastic! (even had a c128 but dont tell anyone)

PeterM
May 16th, 2006, 12:02
Hmm, I never even got that far - it crashed before I saw the BASIC screen. Maybe I did something silly, so I'll try again.

I agree about the Last Ninja music BTW - I especially like LN3's. OC Remix has some cool remixed versions if you're into that kind of thing.

verstappenpsp
May 16th, 2006, 14:08
Just for reference:

my psp is a white jap 1000 series i use the US GTA version with the beta e-menu.

I am going to have a look at the remix then, as I might dump that on my psp to listen to

Hungry Horace
May 17th, 2006, 18:46
Euro PSP fw 2.5 - it doesnt work at all. a shame - i've still not tried Vice on my PSP. - i'd love to know if IK+ works.

http://www.remix64.com/ has much better c64 remixes than OC remix imho... and www.amigaremix.com has some even *greater* remixes... including a few by a certain "Horace303"

PeterM
May 17th, 2006, 19:49
Nice :-)

I'll make sure to trawl that later!

Kristof
May 29th, 2006, 20:09
Hi guys

I did get the latest PSP toolchain and recompiled PSPVice. So it should work on all firmware now. Does anyone want to test it ? (I'm in 1.5 only)

Write me at : [email protected]

Kristof

Kristof
June 17th, 2006, 17:32
V1.0 is finally ready.

http://perso.numericable.fr/ckckck/C64_PSPVice.html

All is on website.

Have fun.

O-bake
June 17th, 2006, 18:04
Holy Cow, with true drive emulation :)
have to do a lot of testing tonight.

Thanks a lot!

Kristof
June 17th, 2006, 18:32
Very high compatibility rate. I managed to play all the games I wanted.

The only problem with True drive emulation is that emu is slowed down when accessing drive (2 cpu emulated). For games this is not a problem, but for demos using asynchronous data loading this is small problem. But the main point is that quite all D64 are working now. Yeah.

O-bake
June 17th, 2006, 19:06
Hm, i just played "Tower of Terror" and i had masive random slowdowns :(

The game just loads a level and then the drive access is finished.
So these slowdowns don't seem to have anything to do with drive access/emulation :(

The slowdowns occured randomly, not during heavy sprite appearence. (They feeled like these swap drive memory access under windows.)

Don't have time to test more, i'm back in a few hours.

greetz,

O-bake

Kristof
June 17th, 2006, 19:09
Check the website, there is some answers on "my game is slow, what can I do ?".

If you did everything, then send me the d64 file, I'll check it.