PDA

View Full Version : MAMEPSP Beta 0.01!

wraggster
May 15th, 2006, 00:44
MikeDX has released the first Beta of his port of MAME to the PSP, heres the details from the coder himself:

<blockquote>It's been a hard slog and I've lost a lot of sleep over it, but here it is. I hope you all enjoy it and give me LOTS of feedback!

The readme:

README FOR MAMEPSP
------------------

This is BETA software. I make or offer no warranties with this software
USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! It has been thoroughly tested and has known problems.

If you feel like donating via paypal please send to:
[email protected]

Alternatively (and maybe also ;) ) please visit http://www.typingwand.com and use the search engine to find yerself some ebay bargains. Each person who bids using my site will put a few pence my way and that will help me out (and will not cost you anything!

Official forums at: http://dxdev.dcemu.co.uk PLEASE POST YOUR RESULTS HERE

Compatibility:

The following games are known to run near perfecty on MAMEPSP:
(hint, try romnation ;) )

Ping Pong - pingpong
Kung-Fu Master - kungfum
Vulgus (Set 1) - vulgus
Pirate Ship Higemaru - higemaru
Son Son - sonson
Tetris (set 1) - atetris
Commando (world) - commando
Ghosts'n Goblins (World? set 1) - gng
1942 (set 1) - 1942
Jr. Pac-Man - jrpacman
Pengo (aset 1 rev c) - pengo
Crazy Climber (US) - cclimber
Jail Break - jailbrek
Green Beret - gberet
Mat Mania - matmania
Ms. Pac-Man - mspacman
Scramble - scramble
Amidar - amidar
PuckMan (Japan set 1) - puckman
Galaxian (Namco set 1) - galaxian
Track & Field - trackfld
Flicky (128k Ver.) - flicky
Wonderboy (set 1) - wboy
Arkanoid (World) - arkanoid
Frogger - frogger
Mario Bros (US) - mario
Bagman - bagman
Space Invaders - invaders
Bomb Jack (set 1) - bombjack
Lady Bug - ladybug
Mr Do! - mrdo
Mikie - mikie
Kicker - kicker
Defender (Red label) - defender
Robotron (Solid Blue label) - robotron
Joust (White/Green label) - joust

PUT ROMS (zipped preferably) to

X:\PSP\GAME\MAMEPSP (where X is your PSP)

KEYS:

select - credit
start - 1p start
X,O etc - player buttons
L - in game menu (and menu in frontend)
R - pause/unause
D-PAD - joystick controls
L+R (ingame) - QUIT to menu

This version of mame has issues where the ram may not be freed correctly but
this will be fixed in future versions.

Source code avaiable on request and will be uploaded as a seperate archive
to the forums at http://dxdev.dcemu.co.uk

Happy gaming!

MikeDX

Thanks to:

Wraggster, Martin64 for hosting
Eggman for testing
Suze, my beautiful girlfriend for putting up with my nerdiness for hours on end :)
And you, for downloading and using this program!

Download and Give Feedback at the official site here --> http://dxdev.dcemu.co.uk

Excellent work :)

Pelnied
May 15th, 2006, 01:10
YES!!!!!!!!! ME BEEN WAITING 4 THIS!!! Thanks

kettle
May 15th, 2006, 01:40
cant u add ur own roms in it ?

DrSarcasmo
May 15th, 2006, 02:11
I'm running Eboot loader .9 on a 2.0 PSP. I can get the emu to see the zipped ROMS and they are in the MAMEPSP directory, but when I try to execute them I reads the zip and then gives me a list claiming the files are not in the zip, which they are. The roms are Dloaded from the site that MikeDX has suggested...

Any Ideas what's wrong?

Thanks!

DrSarcasmo

oninotsume
May 15th, 2006, 02:27
Thanks MikeDx!!
I've been looking forward to this more than anything.
I'll have to check it out as soon as I get some free time.
Awesome:D

moogster66
May 15th, 2006, 02:28
Same is happening to me. Dloaded from same site that was suggested, states files are missing.

Jay_PSP
May 15th, 2006, 02:32
Thanks for the release!

To get it to work just add a roms directory to the path like below:

X:\PSP\GAME\MAMEPSP\roms (where X is your PSP)

Be great if just the installed games would show?

Vega
May 15th, 2006, 02:59
erm, i added street fighter 2 champ. edition and it doesnt show up on the roms list. I have created the roms folder as described. Does this emu only support the games listed in the README ?

isotropy
May 15th, 2006, 03:30
I'm trying to get robotron to work, but its' saying files "decoder.4 and decoder.6" are not found. These files aren't in the zip file that I dloaded. Any idea where I can find these?

Thanks! I really want to play robotron! it's my favourite game :)

Mr. Shizzy
May 15th, 2006, 05:29
Ill give this a test run...plz,plz,plz, let Tapper work!!!

philage
May 15th, 2006, 07:30
Thanks for the release, I will try it tommorow when I have no work to do and give some feedback. Keep up the good work.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 07:51
YES like mike stated ONLY the roms in the list it is WIP more roms will be added,all roms listed have been thoroughly tested by myself and run porety much full FPS.:)

Poem58
May 15th, 2006, 08:05
the only problem is all "supported" roms from the source he suggested, fail to load...therefore there is no way to know if this does anything at all...so Far...

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 08:24
FFS the instructions are clear how the hell do some people remember to breathe everyday.YOU need the rom sets named as listed not other variations of them..and put them in a folder in the MAMEPSP dir called roms.

Sharkey
May 15th, 2006, 09:04
the only problem is all "supported" roms from the source he suggested, fail to load...therefore there is no way to know if this does anything at all...so Far...

Yeah, I tried all of the ones listed.
They are all named correctly and in the PSP\GAME\MAMEPSP folder.

90% of them said files not found and the other 10% crashed my psp.

I'm doing something wrong?

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 09:11
I can assure you I have been thoroughly testing this app for nearly a month and it hasn't once crashed my psp.Locks up on exit with home from time to time but never crashed during game if you do experience any bugs please report on forum @ http://www.dxdev.dcemu.co.uk/ leaving a brief description of the bug/s founda as stated it is BETA.

Sharkey
May 15th, 2006, 09:16
Ah, I needed to make a folder called "roms" and put the games there, it's all good now.

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 11:15
Re no#14 sorry for ranting a bit stressed lol work I apologise guys.. *eating humble pie now* Hope you can all get it working it is a great emu :) and alot of hard work has gone into it. remember MAMEPSP/ROMS :)

ukkevinl
May 15th, 2006, 11:26
Re no#14 sorry for ranting a bit stressed lol work I apologise guys.. *eating humble pie now* Hope you can all get it working it is a great emu :) and alot of hard work has gone into it. remember MAMEPSP/ROMS :)

Hi,

This is brilliant, thanks. Just a quick question: how do you get defender to advance past the self tests?

thanks

Kevin

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 11:42
mine just did tests then progress by itself to title screen :) wierd if yours doesnt try resetting the emu.

MikeDX
May 15th, 2006, 11:44
Hi,

This is brilliant, thanks. Just a quick question: how do you get defender to advance past the self tests?

thanks

Kevin

Press Ltrigger, then go to the "reset game" option from the mame menu (press X) then press L again to close the menu! :)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
May 15th, 2006, 12:25
Press Ltrigger, then go to the "reset game" option from the mame menu (press X) then press L again to close the menu! :)
yeah lol sorry forgot how to post how to reset it thxs mike. :)

ukkevinl
May 15th, 2006, 12:52

Awesome, I'm just as bad as I was in 1981!

Also, in future versions do you think that any of the vector graphics style games like battlezone, star wars, asteroids, tempest etc might be possible?

thanks again

cheers

Kevin

Eternal-Blue
May 15th, 2006, 12:59
Does "newer" games work like Sunset Riders, Mercs oder Golden Axe ect.?

knight123
May 15th, 2006, 13:15
Does "newer" games work like Sunset Riders, Mercs oder Golden Axe ect.?

Only the games listed in the menu are supported.
No doubt MikeDX is working to add more:D

oninotsume
May 15th, 2006, 15:07
Wow,

I just had a chance to try a couple of classics out, and they work brilliantly!

The super rough port of Mame4all is cool because it kind of supports many games, but this is how it should be done. Clean smooth support, great menus, works just like MAME, and is reliable.

Excellent work Mike! I'm looking forward to the day when it will support 68K based games, but until then it's PacMan forever:)

jordilt
May 15th, 2006, 15:22
:D Fantastic work mikedx!!, the emulator works very well with my Psp 2.01 and eloader 0.97. but after I play a game I canīt go back to the menu, pressing L+R i get a message "average FPS:xx" and hangs my psp. Any idea??
thanks for yor great work.

MikeDX
May 15th, 2006, 15:23
:D Fantastic work mikedx!!, the emulator works very well with my Psp 2.01 and eloader 0.97. but after I play a game I canīt go back to the menu, pressing L+R i get a message "average FPS:xx" and hangs my psp. Any idea??
thanks for yor great work.

Press O to go back to the main menu after this.

Vega
May 15th, 2006, 16:09
aah got her sorted!
Many thanks MikeDX, this is awesome. It will be a great day if we ever get to play Marvel v Capcom on our PSPs.
Congrats mate, keep it up.

mappy123
May 15th, 2006, 16:11
frameskip -0 sound 44khz screen -x1 vsync-off
tried robotron -333mhz 34fps-can`t allocate square button as player 1 right joystick/left
tried commando-333mhz-47fps
tried galaxian-333mhz-59fps-bullet sound screwed
1.5 psp downgraded

MikeDX
May 15th, 2006, 16:12
tried screen rotation?

also not all games run totally full speed. try fskip 1 or 2.

I never said it was perfect

of course i'm happy to remove games that dont play 100% 60fps ;)

Vega
May 15th, 2006, 16:14
Mappy, I wouldnt be too annoyed at the speed, it is pretty decent.

Vega
May 15th, 2006, 16:16
Hey Mike, have you tested any of the Street Fighter series?

LocKman_HacKim
May 15th, 2006, 16:18
Thanks for the release!!!!

mappy123
May 15th, 2006, 17:10
i know it`s decent speed but i thought the point of this port was to have only games that play perfect at 60fps /frameskip 0

MikeDX
May 15th, 2006, 17:15
That was the point (and still is)

It's a beta.

mappy123
May 15th, 2006, 17:55
sorry mike... me shut up now

djakku
May 15th, 2006, 17:56
wow! eXellent release, too bad i've got my exams this week, so I have to wait before I could test it..
Anyways, Is there a compatibility list so far?

davecheese1971
May 15th, 2006, 20:34
Brilliant first release - keep up the great work!

ACID
May 15th, 2006, 21:21
mike just do the awsome work your doing i see a lot off people dont know what a beta is and critisis it. GREAT job awsome first release.

ACID
May 15th, 2006, 21:26
frameskip -0 sound 44khz screen -x1 vsync-off
tried robotron -333mhz 34fps-can`t allocate square button as player 1 right joystick/left
tried commando-333mhz-47fps
tried galaxian-333mhz-59fps-bullet sound screwed
1.5 psp downgraded
hi so your describing minor glitches to a first realiese beta. give mike credite what you describe is awsome. It took him no time to bring back this emulator witch the first releases last year where junk . great job ones again:)

jeffred
May 15th, 2006, 21:26
Thanks Mike............I have just played Mikie and 1942 and look forward to future releases

nigelrigel
May 15th, 2006, 21:49
Niic this is awsome

Mr. Shizzy
May 15th, 2006, 22:00
Ok tried it and it works great. THANKS MIKE, and anyone else responsible for this. Few quick questions:
1)is there any way/plans of full screen support?
2)how far do you think this can go?Capcom-vs-Street fighter EVER possible? Would donations help?
Thanks again- I'm very grateful for this release!!!

repuken2
May 16th, 2006, 01:08
i've just finished green beret. Just want to say thanks a lot MIKE, having that game on my PSP was one of my goals in life!!!!! you just helped to do that!!! :p

a couple of games you might add next release:

wonderBoy 2 in monsterland
Express Raider
Pitfall 2
(These three worked in previous versions of PSPmame, at least WB2 and Pitfall worked fullspeed)

Pinball Action (Music was just great!!!!)
City Connection
Gunsmoke
Black Tiger
Trojan
Moon Patrol
Phoenix
Pocket Gal

Cheerz!!

Pumped'Up
May 16th, 2006, 04:24
thanks for the great work Mike - can't wait to see your next release.

jordilt
May 16th, 2006, 06:40
Press O to go back to the main menu after this.
:) Thanks again mikedx, well now I can go back the menu, but after tryng around 25-30 times, the 90% of them I canīt play a second game: I see the "Usage of emulators bla, bla,bla...." screen, then press let and right, I can see the game info screen , and when I press any key the screen gets black and after a few second it crashes my psp.
I know this is only a beta, and althoug itīs annoying to have to restart the psp every time (you know the gta eloader takes so long to get to the hombrews...)I still love this emu and apreciate you hard work, and i canīt wait for your next release.

philage
May 16th, 2006, 08:26
Thanks for the release MikeDX, you have done a fantastic job on this, please keep up the great work, I for one am looking forward to any updates you decide to release, and by the quality of this beta, you obviously know what you are doing :)

Thanks again.

frmariam
May 17th, 2006, 00:16
The controls in Arkanoid were really impossible... It just made me move way too fast...

MikeDX
May 17th, 2006, 00:19
try mapping the dial to L/R or left/right on the dpad, it worked great for me.

aleborri
May 17th, 2006, 08:06
Thanks a lot for the release, it's awesome to play some of my old time classics, can't wait for the next release :)