PDA

View Full Version : New Super Mario Bros Review by Wraggster

wraggster
May 15th, 2006, 06:44
New Super Mario Bros Review

Awesome Platform game for the NintendoDS

Suppliers

Lik Sang (http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?products_id=5528&lsaid=219793) US$ 44.90 (~23.69 GBP)

Screenshots

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/nds-super-mario-bros-jap3.jpg

http://image.lik-sang.com/images//large/nds-super-mario-bros-jap26.jpg

Description

The first new 2-D Mario platformer since Super Mario World has arrived. Boasting incredible 3-D graphics to accompany classic 2-D game play, this fast-paced adventure will have Mario fans cheering as they make their way over fields, under water, through castles and into the air. New and familiar enemies are everywhere, not to mention mind-blowing challenges made possible by the dual screens of the Nintendo DS. Not only that, but players can link wirelessly with a friend to play as Mario and Luigi in multiplayer mode.

The Review Itself

This has to be one of the most wanted games in years and it doesnt let you down, graphically its perfect for what it needs to be, its not photo realistic but then again this is Mario and the Cartoony graphics work great here.

The 2D platform action with some 3D Visuals takes the best from all the other 2D Mario games and with spruced up graphics and some fantastic new ideas and ways to try and get the princess back, you will be impressed.

The Gameplay is perfect, you start off on easy levels by the time you get to World 5 things are really hotting up, the learning curve will please all and introduce a lot of new gamers to the wonders of platform gaming at its best.

The Music in the game reminds me of the first time the Super Nes version was played with those great stereo sounds, yes you have heard most of the tunes before but dont we all love the Mario tunes.

This game has all you can expect from a Mario game with lots of hidden surprises and new ideas used too transform Mario, seeing the plumber is supersize mode then into mini mode and later wearing a shell on his back ae just 3 of the games new surprises.

The storyline isnt much different from other Mario games but when your dealing with games this good we will let them off.

Comments
Another Major Triple AAA title for the Nintendo DS, the best Platform game for any system for years and especially since Yoshis Island, a must buy.

Overall i would give it a 9.7/10 its fantastic.

Crimson Lite Jedi
May 15th, 2006, 08:22
I shall have to buy it then!!!

Miria
May 15th, 2006, 11:08
I shall have to buy it 2........ lol

biomechanic
May 15th, 2006, 11:13
Downloaded the ROM when it got out (May 9) and I'm sure gonna buy it when it comes to EU! Flawless game in most aspects (what to expect from Mario =) ). It only has one weakness: it's way too short! Took me under a week to clear the game and unveil all the secret levels (not 100% sure on that one though) and starcoins. I'd give it 9.7 for the gameplay but 3-4 on length and replay value. I mean, ofcourse it is allways fun to smash levels to bits with the giant mushroom over and over but clearing the game again doesn't add any new content...

biomechanic
May 15th, 2006, 11:17
Oh, forgot to mention. If you're ever tired of the regular game there is allways the minigames to get busy with. most are the same as those in Mario 64 DS but there are a few new ones there aswell :-)

bharalanga
May 15th, 2006, 16:19
looks kool

Video_freak
May 16th, 2006, 05:24
if you buy it in stores (in the US at least, its only like $30)

PlayingKarrde
May 16th, 2006, 07:31
Seems I am the only one that thinks this is highly disappointing.

It's a decent game, but I think people are being blinded by the fact it's a new mario platformer. It's lost all of the visual appeal the original games had by moving to 3D (and cheap 3D at that) where most characters looks like poorly pre-rendered 3D models ala Donky Kong Country than true 3D inhabitants of the world. The world map is also just a cheap knock-off of a Mario Party map and gives no incentive to want to use those coins you collect other than to save your game. Do I really need another fire flower?

Speaking of which, the power ups, or lack thereof, are also sorely lacking. No flying power up really makes the game feel more shallow than it should. I recently went back to play the original game (Super Mario Bros) and found much more depth and style wthin this game.

No question its a decent game, but hardly the renascence people are touting it to be. Mario World this is not. Mario 3 this is not. It's not even up to the standard of Mario 1, 2 or Yoshi's Island. But it's still better than the rest of the 2D platformers.

Pros:
Feels like a Mario platformer
Enemies dance to the music
Good learning curve
Some useful new moves like wall jump and ground pound

Cons:
Cheap and nasty visual style
Lack of depth
No incentive to use coins
Small mario looks like he is just squashed

So my biggest gripes are the look of the game and the lack of depth and incentive to explore. Mario 3 and World bested this title by leaps and bounds on both counts.

PlayingKarrde out.

Bp103
September 14th, 2006, 14:04
I have two of them :p
Don't ask