PDA

View Full Version : Startling Odyssey 2 (Still Going)

wraggster
September 23rd, 2009, 23:20
Not sure how many of you remember me from when I was a bit more active in the scene, but those that do remember me, should also remember that about the same time NightWolve started his project on XakIII, I also started one for Startling Odyssey 2. This project has been on going since I think either 2001, or 2002, something like that, and it has been an on and off project for me. Thanks to NightWolve for showing this was possible!

I kind of dropped off the planet for awhile due mainly to issues in the real world… Anyways, I just wanted to let everyone know that the project is still alive and progressing rather well… with all things considered…

First off though, this is not a 100% word for word translation, as throughout the years, my translators have all fell through… so the the translation has gone through 3 machine translators and about 5 web page translators, and with the combined turnout of those translations, we get this fan translation… a rough, not exact to the script… playable version… in English…

Also, some of the translated text had to be summarized because it was longer than the allowed text, and I am not up to trying to figure out how to compress the text or add it to different parts of the disc…

So if you don’t mind some changed names/items/spells/text, I hope very soon that you will enjoy this game as well, at least until someone that can translate better than the machine translators can do…

Anyways, the project is about 85-90% completely translated… there are just a few more things I need to get done… after all, there are over 80 different areas/towns/dungeons/caves/etc to go through…

I have played through the game on a real system, and so far, everything looks very good… all things considered…

I have talked with Dave, and we might be able to make the font look better, but it might be more than I can handle…

Once I play a bit more with the emulator, I will post screenies from further in the game…

*update* EsperKnight has offered to help me with the Font Routine hack to allow more characters per line and a better looking font.

Visit http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=2312 for screenshots and updates to the project.

http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,9211.html