PDA

View Full Version : Sony outlines PSPgo's UMD ‘solution’

wraggster
September 24th, 2009, 15:54
Ahead of next week’s global PSPgo launch, Sony has revealed that all those who buy the machine will be entitled to three free full-game downloads from the PSP PlayStation Store.
The plan is what Sony in June referred to as it’s ‘solution’ to those who wished to upgrade to the new machine but already owned a collection of games on UMD disc – none of which will be compatible with Sony’s new device.
Dubbed PSPgo Rewards, the scheme will offer a total of 17 titles to choose from including the likes of Killzone: Liberation, Everybody’s Golf, LocoRoco, Patapon and Echochrome.
Users will be required to log in to PSN via their existing machine and register for PSPgo Rewards. Registration will only be allowed if a UMD is inserted into the drive.
Shortly afterwards they will receive an email with a promo code with which they can log into PSN with their new PSPgo and pick their games.
The promotion kicks off on October 1st and will conclude on March 31st.

http://www.casualgaming.biz/news/29244/Sony-outlines-PSPgos-UMD-solution

symbal
September 24th, 2009, 16:22
Hmm better than nothing i guess.. they'd have to offer a lot more before i'd buy 1 of those things though, i'll still keep warning people not to buy 1.

arcadekidflo
September 24th, 2009, 16:44
Users will be required to log in to PSN via their existing machine and register for PSPgo Rewards. Registration will only be allowed if a UMD is inserted into the drive.

WTF ? I have to own 2 PSP's now ?

osgeld
September 24th, 2009, 17:08
So i currently own 8 umd games, and they are being gracious enough to give me 3?

and! I have to hang on to my old model until I can do this, i cant use it to trade in and knock off the laughable price?

No dice sony, not like i was seriously looking into buying one of these things, but you keep telling me if i do everything i have bought before is worthless crap and i cant use it anymore

but its your own product! see if i ever buy another sony game console again

mrbob3
September 24th, 2009, 17:17
What an absolute sack of shit this is. I own 50+ games, so whats the point of having 3 of them "free" what do i do with the others? take them to my local gamestore who will give me 50p each for them?

I hope the GO! is the big flop it deserves to be. I love my PSP and i wouldnt swap it for a GO.

I wouldnt even have a GO if it was free, it has no use, no purpose.

I can go into a store and buy most games 2nd hand, find some bargains.

All GO games will be full price and cost way to much.

Its rubbish and i hope it bites sony in the ass, big time!!

symbal
September 24th, 2009, 17:33
Parents will be starting to buy this thing for christmas soon, so if anyone in a store seeing it happen join the cause and take a few minutes to explain why not to get it, i wouldn't wish anyone to waste their money on this without full knowledge.

wraggster
September 24th, 2009, 18:01
doesnt it anger you that if they want you to stick your UMD game in the drive to verify you own the game then surely you should be able to do it for all your UMD Games if they truly are serious about wanting us to upgrade to the PSPGO

AdamRav
September 24th, 2009, 18:20
doesnt it anger you that if they want you to stick your UMD game in the drive to verify you own the game then surely you should be able to do it for all your UMD Games if they truly are serious about wanting us to upgrade to the PSPGO

Exactly

No point in only offering 3 vouchers when someone has a library of 50 games

They are effiectively saying you need to carry around both your PSP's to play the games you want

WASTE!!!!!

jamotto
September 24th, 2009, 18:39
All the "solutions" where doomed to failure, no matter what Sony did.

symbal
September 24th, 2009, 18:40
But of course Sony knows better than us mere mortals, i mean look at the last 3 years they almost never listen to us and all by themselves they managed to piss the Psp's potential away.

Zin0099
September 24th, 2009, 21:52
ok so 3 free games and the possibility of paying a small fee for the others to be also on psn as download i'm ok with it cuss i was never going to get rid of my psp-2000

i have 2 accounts
1-usa psn
2-jap psn

sounds good to me

and don't bash me cuss i like this option. it's better than sending your games in then the possibility of lost in the mail deal!(i heard about that)

osgeld
September 24th, 2009, 22:32
3 free and a selection of 17, sorry kid, but that's an insult

yea the hardcore (like you) will probably hang onto their old systems, most normal people would rather not have 2 "identical but incompatible" systems to trip over the dual sets of wires

mrbob3
September 24th, 2009, 22:43
Ive heard many stories of game stores refusing to stock the go. I would do also. Your going to make sod all on the sale, then the customer will walk out the shop.

Stores make money by doing "bundles" and rarely sell a system on its own. You walk into a game shop and its ps3 plus 3 games for xx ammount and same with wii and 360.

The GO will be the same price everywhere so no point in going anywhere particular.

Heres a thought,

If EVERYONE in the world bought a GO on release and threw away thier psp slims, phats and UMDs....

the game stores would make NO sales on psp games. At all as we couldnt use UMDs

and as GO games are download from sonys site, game stores make no money.

So ALL stores should boycott the go.

firemaster#1
September 27th, 2009, 05:05
I think that they should just kill the idea of the go I mean it's sounds like a good idea but the fact you can't buy umd's for it blows I can see what they want to do with it but it seems like It's doomed to fail because of no umd drive.I loved sony but this is a bad idea. I think I would buy it if it was less than the 3000 but there excuse is 16 gb of flash which I rather use the disc drive than have 16 gb of empty space.I can see the go as a buy if they allowed a way to convet umd's to the go format.

subcon959
September 27th, 2009, 16:42
I can see the go as a buy if they allowed a way to convet umd's to the go format.

Perhaps an invigorated homebrew scene would be capable of producing such a utility. Then again, the PSP homebrew scene has been dying out for some time now.

Art
September 28th, 2009, 02:00
I love the way they assume people want to buy their new model, even when they have an existing model that works, and plays UMDs.