PDA

View Full Version : About downgrading

TEAL DRAGON128
May 17th, 2006, 06:09
Ive been wondering about the mph downgrader and saw how it works
(changes version # from 2.0 to 1.0 to make the psp think it needs the 1.5 upgrade)

For 2.1+ how is it impossible to change the ver. # and then use the 1.5 upgrade?

Has anyone thought of taking a EBOOT update then replacing the FLASH with files for 1.5.
then labeling it... maybe 3.0 or 5.0 or 9.99 so that it works w/ any version?

Im just curious about how this stuff works.

PS: i feel sorry for those people who are too dumb to not upgrade!

dalejrrocks
May 17th, 2006, 21:45
yeah, lots of people thought of this and have tried it numerous times. It doesn't work. Updates are encrypted and signed so changing them will corrupt them and there's no access to flash in 2.xx firmware, so it's not going to work. nice try tho.:)

Cooe14
May 17th, 2006, 22:35
I hope you mean to dumb to NOT upgrade. 1.5 forever!

TEAL DRAGON128
May 17th, 2006, 23:39
so you mean you cant make a custom 1.5 update with all the features of 2.0+

Cooe14
May 19th, 2006, 04:34
you could but it wouldn't let the update work, the only way you could maybe run it would be through MPH Firmware Luancher. The GameShark guys did almost exactly what you are trying to do; they added the media codecs from the higher firmwares to a 1.5 eboot and got it to run on MPH Firmware Launcher and called it "1.5 Media Edition" .

TEAL DRAGON128
May 21st, 2006, 07:41
whats the issues of taking nessesary files from a firmware dump (not the files that make the psp think a homebrew app is a corrupted file)
and then pasting them in the flash memory of psp.

is there a site with info on this subject?

Cooe14
May 21st, 2006, 07:44
how are you going to paste them onto the flash?

TEAL DRAGON128
May 21st, 2006, 07:52
isnt there apps at PSP-HACKS.com that let you write to the flash?

Cooe14
May 21st, 2006, 08:14
I highly doubt this will work even if you can write to flash (I didn't think you could just write to it). Most likely all that will happen is you will brick your psp, because with a solution this simple you would have to guess that someones already tried it.
But hey be my guest and try it and kind of wondering what will happen

TEAL DRAGON128
May 21st, 2006, 08:16
is there a site or a forum topic that talks about this stuff?

TEAL DRAGON128
May 21st, 2006, 08:20
Well i dont have money to throw around to buy a new psp if it becomes bricked.

best to wait until MPH or Fanjita figures something out

xXSujoXx
May 21st, 2006, 17:48
ur afraid of downgrading a 2.0 psp? are u joking me. i litlery downgraded 18 times . no kidding. never bricked..

xXSujoXx
May 21st, 2006, 17:49
W.e

xXSujoXx
May 21st, 2006, 17:52
Hehe didnt see first page nvm

TEAL DRAGON128
May 21st, 2006, 19:10
No i downgrade and upgrade all the time!
but what i am talking about is downgrading from 2.1+
and why it is impossible to do so and what people have tried to do so far.

Accordion
May 21st, 2006, 20:01
as far as i know the paths for the flash files have not been found or confirmed or whatever so any program that changes flash above 2.0 is hit and miss

i might be wrong

TEAL DRAGON128
May 22nd, 2006, 05:16
i will start experimenting with all of the firmware dumps by deleting, swaping, adding the flash files and then testing them with mph's firmware launcher.

to try and see if a custom firmware w/o the security patches and with features of the 2.0+ versions could be made.

wish me luck!

clbxr100
May 22nd, 2006, 18:14
I wish u the best of luck.. hope it works :) when i got my psp it was already at 2.01 so i am stuck with gta eloader right now...

Cooe14
May 22nd, 2006, 18:45
i will start experimenting with all of the firmware dumps by deleting, swaping, adding the flash files and then testing them with mph's firmware launcher.

to try and see if a custom firmware w/o the security patches and with features of the 2.0+ versions could be made.

wish me luck!
Running it through MPH Firmware Launcher and actually updating are two ENTIRLY different things. MPHFL just runs the expanded eboot files no need for security or anything like that so sure you could make a custom firmware for that. But about updating when you alter a update eboot the sony sig become's invalid (I think that's the best way to say it) so it won't let you run the update.

TEAL DRAGON128
May 22nd, 2006, 23:49
Running it through MPH Firmware Launcher and actually updating are two ENTIRLY different things. MPHFL just runs the expanded eboot files no need for security or anything like that so sure you could make a custom firmware for that. But about updating when you alter a update eboot the sony sig become's invalid (I think that's the best way to say it) so it won't let you run the update.

im just trying to do something for the psp community. :D
not just downloading stuff.

by the way what is a signature in flash memory terms? :confused:

Accordion
May 23rd, 2006, 18:42
the sony signature is what sony do to stop there code in updates and games from being tampered with.
as far as i know it is a special encrytion that means if you alter any info withinthe eboot the file becomes invalid and wont work.
using your method of firmware launcher you may be able to make a custom firmware that can play the latest games, but first the latest updates need to be decrypted... seriously though a downgrader is next to impossible. make sure you check the ps2dev forums for info

V3N0M
May 23rd, 2006, 20:32
the sony signature is what sony do to stop there code in updates and games from being tampered with.
as far as i know it is a special encrytion that means if you alter any info withinthe eboot the file becomes invalid and wont work.
using your method of firmware launcher you may be able to make a custom firmware that can play the latest games, but first the latest updates need to be decrypted... seriously though a downgrader is next to impossible. make sure you check the ps2dev forums for info

LOL Things are only impossible until proven otherwise just look at the history with Homebrew so far... Almost a year ago everyone said a N64 emu on the psp is impossible but in fact it is possible its being done now and with progress. Or running Homebrew on 1.5 and higher was originaly impossible but it isn't anymore people with 2.6 are running homebrew. But i do understand your point sony is really starting to cover their ass. lol But i do think that if a downgrader is not possible then Homebrew will someday become possible with higher than 2.6 FW. Now how long it will take i don't know but i feel confident to say homebrew will never be wiped out from the psp. - just be patient

Accordion
May 23rd, 2006, 21:15
i said "next to impossible" meaning not quite.
from what i have read the updates upwards of 2.01 change the paths and names of the files it updates, and there is no way to downgrade as it overwrites everything with new information, if you rewrite with an old firmware the latest info will still be there and the thing will be ...confused
i have probably just said something in a mangled way, if you want the real answer go to ps2dev(i seem to be advertising but it is just that the guys over there know what they're talking about... and i don't))

i dont want homebrew to be wiped out, but i think a downgrader is the wrong step, if we stick at 1.5 then the psp will be commercially wiped out. i was going to buy a new psp, but i need to save my money for november...(£410-£430 ahhhh)

TEAL DRAGON128
May 24th, 2006, 02:30
well im going to leave the downgrading scene for now...

:mad: at SONY!!