PDA

View Full Version : PSPBEEB: BBC Micro Emulator for PSP v1.0.3

zx-81
May 18th, 2006, 00:11
http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/images/pspbeeb-snap3.jpg

Hi All,

Here is a new version of PSPBEEB the BBC Micro Emulator for PSP.

What's new in version 1.0.3 :

- New Speed optimization
- Add screen resize menu (x1.25, x1.5, x2)
- Add .img disk file support
- Add a file (run.txt) to specify association between the disk name and
the name of the program to run (file yyy.img -> CHAIN"xxx")
- Add Analog pad mapping (in .kbd file format and in the key mapping editor)
- Add shortcut to *CAT and CHAIN"xxx" command
- Option to swap between cursor and analog pad is now working

How to use it ?

Have a look to the README.txt file !

Two binary versions (for 2.x and 1.5 FW) and sources are included in the zip archive.

Sources are included, and this package is under "Beebem" license, read COPYING.txt file for more information about it.

Enjoy :D

Zx

edit: a new version is available (1.0.4) that fix the CAPSLOCK bug ...

joesnose
May 18th, 2006, 00:26
nice one, great emulator.

is there any way i can fix the capslock on "thrust" its used to yurn left?

edit: i noticed on thrust, i know im sorry i love this game, there is a few problems with the controls. maybe more than in your last release, im not complaining im just reporting bugs, this is a great emulator, maybe you could get hold of thrust and give it a try yourself?

mog
May 18th, 2006, 01:18
Great!
Games are much more playable now...
Frame skip is a new feature aswell isn't it? lol, frame skip 25!! :p

There might be a new problem now though, I was just playing a game, and the sound effects keep repeating on like a 10 second loop... even after reseting the bbc! :confused:
Other than that, this emulator is keeping me from doing college work more than any of the others are atm! :D

bah
May 18th, 2006, 07:26
A lot of games are running pretty much full speed now without frameskip :) Great work.

The shift key doesnt want to work for me in this version, thats probably what josenose was referring to.

Any chance of a 1.5x zoom maintaining aspect ratio to go with the 1.25, 1.5, 2x horizontal and 2x. (I know, I'm getting greedy). Some games dont take up the full screen vertically so would look really nice zoomed on the psp screen.

Thanks again zx-81.

EDIT: Sound seems to be working fine for me. Firmware 2.0, Eloader .97 alternative.

zx-81
May 18th, 2006, 10:17
nice one, great emulator.

is there any way i can fix the capslock on "thrust" its used to yurn left?

edit: i noticed on thrust, i know im sorry i love this game, there is a few problems with the controls. maybe more than in your last release, im not complaining im just reporting bugs, this is a great emulator, maybe you could get hold of thrust and give it a try yourself?

thanks for your feedback. I gonna try this game by myself in order to fix that bug. By the way, you can try to map capslock key on the analog pad ... it may be work better ?

zx-81
May 18th, 2006, 10:18
Great!
Games are much more playable now...
Frame skip is a new feature aswell isn't it? lol, frame skip 25!! :p

There might be a new problem now though, I was just playing a game, and the sound effects keep repeating on like a 10 second loop... even after reseting the bbc! :confused:
Other than that, this emulator is keeping me from doing college work more than any of the others are atm! :D

I've never encountered this sound issue ... :(

emulator2
May 18th, 2006, 10:20
It's coming along nicely!

The speed improvements are good and the sound is getting better.

I have noticed that disc files don't auto load if you have the clock frequency at 200 on the firmware 1.5 version.

I've not had any luck loading BCC Master games yet although I've only tried a few.

Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror BBC Plus/ Master version asks for a machine with OS2.0 or higher. Perhaps if you assign the OS2.0 or appropriate rom to the master default config then this could improve compatibility.

Looking forward to the next version.

Your efforts are much appreciated!

aTomIC
May 18th, 2006, 10:21
Ah, its good to see a superb Acorn BBC emulator for the sweet PSP :)

keep up the great work on your cult emulators

zx-81
May 18th, 2006, 10:35
It's coming along nicely!

The speed improvements are good and the sound is getting better.

I have noticed that disc files don't auto load if you have the clock frequency at 200 on the firmware 1.5 version.

Thanks for the info, i will increase the timeout ...

I've not had any luck loading BCC Master games yet although I've only tried a few.

Doctor Who and the Mines of Terror BBC Plus/ Master version asks for a machine with OS2.0 or higher. Perhaps if you assign the OS2.0 or appropriate rom to the master default config then this could improve compatibility.

Thanks for your feedback.

ukkevinl
May 18th, 2006, 12:21
A lot of games are running pretty much full speed now without frameskip :) Great work.

The shift key doesnt want to work for me in this version, thats probably what josenose was referring to.

Any chance of a 1.5x zoom maintaining aspect ratio to go with the 1.25, 1.5, 2x horizontal and 2x. (I know, I'm getting greedy). Some games dont take up the full screen vertically so would look really nice zoomed on the psp screen.

Thanks again zx-81.

EDIT: Sound seems to be working fine for me. Firmware 2.0, Eloader .97 alternative.

Shift isnt working for me either in Planetoid, everything else is great though!

mog
May 18th, 2006, 17:25
zx, the game i was playing was hobgoblin if that helps.
The sounds starts off fairly ok, but then deteriorates and starts looping until you exit the entire emulator!

This has only happened twice so far though, and i can't even make it do it again at the moment.
So far it's just been that game too... but theres probably a chance it happens in others.
---
About the Shift button, it doesn't work IF you have the analog stick mapped to a capital letter...
Otherwise it works fine! :)
About the CapsLock? I don't think theres anyway to make it work yet... :(

bah
May 18th, 2006, 19:27
About the Shift button, it doesn't work IF you have the analog stick mapped to a capital letter...

Cheers for the tip Mog, DareDevilDenis is mobile once more :)

The auto-loading of the keyboard mapping for each disc you load (if youve made one for that game) is a really nice touch zx.

zx-81
May 18th, 2006, 19:55
zx, the game i was playing was hobgoblin if that helps.
The sounds starts off fairly ok, but then deteriorates and starts looping until you exit the entire emulator!

This has only happened twice so far though, and i can't even make it do it again at the moment.
So far it's just been that game too... but theres probably a chance it happens in others.
---

Yes, i'm working on it ... many thanks for your feedback. :)

bah
May 18th, 2006, 20:02
By the way, you can try to map capslock key on the analog pad ... it may be work better ?

Setting the caps to the analogue didn't seem to work either, however if you set the same key to both the analogue and digital pad, only the analogue will work. Not really a big deal, just if dpad isnt working its good to check it.

Setting a key to both a d-pad direction and another button(X O triangle square etc) seems to work fine.

zx-81
May 18th, 2006, 20:07
@bah: Yes i know. it's not a bug, but a feature :D :o

mr_nick666
May 18th, 2006, 21:29
I learnt basic programming on one of these babies at college! Loving it! :o
You are the man ZX - its cool to read the forums and watch you listening to all the feedback :D
Keep up the great work! - Any chance of a SIMcoupe port on the PSP? (does ANYONE remember the SAM coupe from MGT!!???) :eek:

xXSujoXx
May 18th, 2006, 21:31
Nice

zx-81
May 18th, 2006, 21:58
I learnt basic programming on one of these babies at college! Loving it! :o
You are the man ZX - its cool to read the forums and watch you listening to all the feedback :D
Keep up the great work! - Any chance of a SIMcoupe port on the PSP? (does ANYONE remember the SAM coupe from MGT!!???) :eek:

lol ! why not :)

xXSujoXx
May 19th, 2006, 01:46
like i sed. love it

zx-81
May 19th, 2006, 19:19

Try this one (http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/34-PSPBEEB-BBC-Micro-Emulator-for-PSP-v1.0.4-bug-fix.html)

:)

bah
May 19th, 2006, 21:21
Try this one (http://zx81.zx81.free.fr/serendipity/index.php?/archives/34-PSPBEEB-BBC-Micro-Emulator-for-PSP-v1.0.4-bug-fix.html)

AWWW YEAH! Caps is working beautifully now thankyou xx-81.

Thrust runs great, though i dont seem to be much better at it now than when i was 10 :).

Shift (thrust) seems to stick on when I load the game, pressing the button I have assigned to shift stops it sticking and then the button works perfectly. This is probably an issue with somthing I have bound to another key, will try changing other things now.

It's really not necessary, but would it be possible to add an 'unassigned' option for buttons in the keyboard mapping screen to (possibly) minimise any issues by only binding those needed? Just an idea.

This emu is truely a thing of beauty, thankyou!

emulator2
May 19th, 2006, 22:06

Yet another improvement, and so soon!

After using the emulator I've had an idea. Would it be posssible to have an additional insert disk option that doesn't reset the emulator for games that use more than one disk? This would be useful.

Many thanks.

zx-81
May 19th, 2006, 22:30
After using the emulator I've had an idea. Would it be posssible to have an additional insert disk option that doesn't reset the emulator for games that use more than one disk?

Yes of course. :)

zx-81
May 19th, 2006, 23:18
It's really not necessary, but would it be possible to add an 'unassigned' option for buttons in the keyboard mapping screen to (possibly) minimise any issues by only binding those needed? Just an idea.

Yes that's a good idea.

@emulator2: Do you know a game that needs more than one disc to run ?