PDA

View Full Version : Sony America abandons UMD-to-PSP Go "good will" program, 225 titles at full Price

wraggster
September 28th, 2009, 17:43
You know that UMD-to-PSP Go conversion program? Ain't gonna happen. The "good will" program that would have provided free (or at least heavily discounted) digital copies of games already purchased on UMD discs has been scrapped. A spokesman for SCEA said, "We were evaluating a UMD conversion program, but due to legal and technical reasons we will not be offering the program at this time." Adding insult to injury, the PSP Go Rewards program offering 3 free games to European UMD owners will not be offered in the US. That's the bad news. The not so bad news is that 16,000 pieces of digital content will be available for the US PSP Go launch on October 1st. These include 225 downloadable games (full PSP titles, PSN exclusives, UMD legacy titles, and Minis), 2,300 films, and 13,300 television episodes. Still, not quite the "at least 300" digital games we were expecting. So US PSP owners, still planning to "upgrade?"

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/28/sony-america-abandons-umd-to-psp-go-good-will-program-offers/

ojdon
September 28th, 2009, 23:40
How did I knew this would happen.

They have also just announced PS2 Support on the Go.

...Nope just scrapped the idea.

NeoHumpty
September 29th, 2009, 01:45
My question is....where is the extra $10 (or so) that is usually added on by the retailer going? They are losing the cost of making the disks and shipping them, so why aren't we seeing those savings???? If Sony wants to rape the retailers with downloadable only content, they should do it proper. ;)

ojdon
September 29th, 2009, 20:06
Sony these days only care about creaming money every chance they get now they have a large fanbase. It's a shame really. :( They made a great start with the PS1 PS2 and PSP then they lost their touch even since the PS3 started to get reports of problems.

Shrygue
September 29th, 2009, 21:59
On my God man, that's a BIG fail from Sony. Anyone who's accrued a collection of games, especially big ones are so going to be screwed over. Even if the PSP Go did come with dual analogue sticks as I was hoping from the outset, it's a no-buy from me. £225 plus having to pay again IN FULL for digital copies of games that I already own on UMDs is ridiculous.

symbal
September 29th, 2009, 22:41
It used to be parts of Europe console makers would just treat as an after thought, i live in UK but i know very well if you treat the US as second class it will definately backfire on them.

DPyro
September 29th, 2009, 22:58
On my God man, that's a BIG fail from Sony. Anyone who's accrued a collection of games, especially big ones are so going to be screwed over. Even if the PSP Go did come with dual analogue sticks as I was hoping from the outset, it's a no-buy from me. £225 plus having to pay again IN FULL for digital copies of games that I already own on UMDs is ridiculous.

No worries. I expect the PSP Go to be hacked within a few months so people who have a ton of games can transfer games themselves.

Tortisetank
September 30th, 2009, 01:38
sony prepare to make your GO priced at 100bucks or less cause i predict seeing these things collecting dust on the shelves at gamestops across the USA especially with this i mean even a rich person is going to see that getting the UMD equiped psp is a better deal.