PDA

View Full Version : DSI or DS Lite - Which One Pulls Your Strings the Most ?

wraggster
September 28th, 2009, 18:05
The DSI has been out a while now and a few features like facebook and better web browser give it a plus over the DS lite and the DSI Ware Store is a small thumbs up too, amazingly the homebrew scene came up with the best release so far and thats a quality GBA Emulator for the DSI (via Iplayer), which brings me to the question, How Many of you would buy a DSI out of those who so far have refrained ?

replies via comments

Zin0099
September 28th, 2009, 19:28
well for one thing i bought the dsi for one thing and that was the thought of being able to put homebrew and ds games all on a 32gb sd card(maybe 64gb sd card)

GODZEROXX
September 28th, 2009, 21:03
I think the extra features are very nice, however if you already have a ds lite then it isn't really worth buying a whole new ds. If you are like me and have the old phat ds still then I would say to definitly buy the dsi. The extra features are very useful and fun, it also has a very nice screen.

greatcrippler
September 28th, 2009, 23:31
I currently have a DS lite. I admit being curious to own a DSi, but at the same time leery. With firmware comes lockouts, and I imagine Nintendo will continue to improve upon them.

kamanashi
September 29th, 2009, 00:47
I kinda want DSi, and with the GBA emulator released, I have started thinking about getting one. But, my DS Lite is fine for right now, so I won't be upgrading any time soon.

mattsaysfooey
September 29th, 2009, 02:04
The updates and firmware lock outs will pretty much stop me from getting a DSi not to mention I have a Cyclo evo with 8 gb micro,ez 3 in 1 and Supercard SD for slot 2. Which is meaningless on the DSi.

Aryn
September 29th, 2009, 02:46
I will simply wait until my DS Lite dies before purchasing a DSi. By then the DSi will have a much stronger homebrew scene and beter games tailored to it.

D.S.Darkness
September 29th, 2009, 02:55
Im in the same situation as Mattsayfooey lol, and really the DSi isnt that much of an upgrade, i can't see it lasting very long just like the psp go

juiceface
September 29th, 2009, 03:56
Gonna stick with the dslite. dsone and supercard slot 2. dslite has native GBA support, no emulator needed (granted not 100% compatable but 95%). supercard plays movies real smooth with moonshell. the built in camera and bigger screen doesn't do much for me, but the WPA network suport would be nice. anyhow I don't ever see myself getting a DSi unless the "DSi" exclusive games end up being that much better.

kcajblue
September 29th, 2009, 07:57
Man, I have been out of the DS homebrew scene for hella long.
I need to start reading up on flashcarts again for the DSi and see what I can do with one.
Because I recently obtained a DSi which I pretty much got for free. So I'm not complaining about buying one. Haha.

albadross
September 29th, 2009, 08:16
I have both and find that it is horses for courses. I use both my machines differently.

The DSL : I have a WPA protected network so I can't access the internet with the Lite machine. This, however, means I am protected from Nintendo firmware updates blowing up my flashcart and they can't prevent me from playing homebrew and DS backups.

The DSi : I do use this a handy portable internet browser. I also like the camera as a backup (Nintendo don't seem to want to let you get the photos onto your PC easily - but my laptop reads the memory card just fine.) I also have a DS iPlayer so I can watch my avi files on the move and play homebrew emulators as well as GBA games (despite the lack of a Slot 2).

With the DSi, you are prey to Nintendo firmware updates - but I have got everything working fairly quickly so far once the 'solutions' have been published. I am used to manufacturers playing with their firmware and not giving you anything good or new - I have had PSPs for far too long!

So you pays your money, you take your choice. But I like having both :thumbup:,

David

Keitaro Urashima
September 29th, 2009, 13:15
I think, I stick the most is DS Lite. This is only handheld work on flashcart, unlike DSi. Some flashcart will not work if Nintendo planning update to 1.5 or so on... You never know what Nintendo up to.

fuser
September 29th, 2009, 19:41
Just my 2 cents - I have both and I hardly touch the DS Lite. The bigger, clearer, brighter screen on the DSI really does make everything play better.
I've got an R4i card and use it to run Doom, Quake, SCUMM and various megadrive/snes emulators as well as music videos, MP3s etc - I find that the R4i works every bit as well as the R4 did on the DS Lite.
I use it to surf the net also if needed, and the camer is a bonus.
To make it clear, you do not HAVE to upgrade the firmware if you are connected to the net - only if you want to use the DSiWare shop. And Mario Calculator hasnt really persuaded me to pass up on the homebrew yet......

So, DSi all the way for me!

JDvorak
September 30th, 2009, 02:30
No DSi for me as it would render my pedometer for My Weight Loss Coach useless as it uses the GBA slot. Oh well dslites are plentiful here in the States and besides I have had 5 of them but one limited edition Dragon Ball Z broke and the rest are working great. Only a missing pixel or two but with the Pixel Fixing homebrew it has fixed that. Don't really care about the digital camera or faster browser, Opera sucked on the dslites and can't imagine it much better on the DSi. Anyway I may get a PSP GO as I use it to have my scriptures on at church (I converted them and the church hymns over to html for the browser). I have a 1000 and 2000 but would like a smaller model to read in church!

DanTheManMS
September 30th, 2009, 07:35
The GBA emulator works on every DS system ever released. Just because the cart is named the iPlayer doesn't mean it only works on the DSi.

Nevertheless, I'm sticking with my DS Phat for now. No real reason to upgrade at the moment, not until DSi mode is cracked and applications are made that can make use of its additional horsepower.