PDA

View Full Version : METAL BLOB SOLID PSP (Blob Wars::: Episode 1) version 1.04

deniska
May 18th, 2006, 22:09
METAL BLOB SOLID PSP (Blob Wars::: Episode 1) version 1.04

This is a PSP adoptation of METAL BLOB SOLID from Parallel Realities (http://www.parallelrealities.co.uk)
- open source tactical 2D platformer.

http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk/images/mbs6.jpg

FEATURES
-------
- Over 25 missions
- More than 8 hours' gameplay!
- 4 difficulty settings
- Large levels with different environments, such as water, lava, ice and slime.
- Use a variety of different weaponary, including machine guns and laser cannons.
- Multiple objectives
- Jetpack and Aqua Lung items to find
- Optional blood and gore
- Boss Battles!
- Lots of sound effects and music tracks
- Configurable controls
- Cheats: get unlimited health, aqualung/jetpack, rapid fire, extra blood/gore, speed, access to all levels
- Level replay value - Return to previous levels to rescue all MIAs and optional objectives.

I'll let you figure out how to get to the cheat menu on PSP :-)

INSTALLATION
----------
1.5 users: copy contents of 1.5 folder to ms:/PSP/GAME
1.0 use EBOOT.PBP from 1.0 folder with data files from 1.5 folder
2.0 Please let me know if either version works with the latest eboot loader for 2.0 firmware

CONTROLS
------
[X] MENU SELECT; SHOOT
[TRIANGLE] SECONDARY WEAPON
[ARROWS] MENU NAVIGATION/ IN-GAME MOVEMENTS
[ANALOG] MENU NAVIGATION/ IN-GAME MOVEMENTS
[L-TRIGGER] JETPACK
[R-TRIGGER] JUMP
[START] PAUSE/LEVEL STATS
[SELECT] MAP
[SQUARE] IN-GAME OPTIONS MENU
[?????] ACTIVATE CHEAT MENU

GAMEPLAY
------
Please refer to documents in the docs folder for details.

KNOW BUGS
-------
Ocasionally, the game runs out of memory and prompts the user to restart.
Sometimes crashes occur short after the game was resumed after a powerdown.

SOURCE
-----
PSPSDK compatible c++ source code & makefile are attached to this distribution.

CREDITS
------
+++ MAIN PROGRAMMING AND DESIGN +++
Stephen Sweeney

+++ ADDITIONAL PROGRAMMING +++
Richard Sweeney

+++ PSP ADOPTATION PROGRAMMING +++
Denis Televnyy (http://deniska.dcemu.co.uk)

Enjoy,

DENIS

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

xXSujoXx
May 18th, 2006, 22:10
ahhhh nice

wraggster
May 19th, 2006, 00:49
thanks for another great release for the PSP Scene :)

slaphappygamer
May 19th, 2006, 00:50
great game. i like the sound efx and gameplay is tight. nice work.

nugatron
May 19th, 2006, 00:51
I wasn't able to get the 1.00 or the 1.50 to work on my 2.00 fw :(

vettacossx
May 19th, 2006, 00:52
is this mod-able at all?just curious and do you think there will be a level editor?;)

slaphappygamer
May 19th, 2006, 00:56
L+Select is not the cheat menu. my psp just crashed.

Shilo
May 19th, 2006, 01:10
:eek: Looks awesome, downloading now!

joesnose
May 19th, 2006, 02:50
another great release dennis, thaks alot.

hatebreeder
May 19th, 2006, 03:41
this worked on my 2.6 psp just follow the directions for 1.0

edit great release

deniska
May 19th, 2006, 05:12
is this mod-able at all?just curious and do you think there will be a level editor?;)

Everything is modable :-)

This version reads al the graphics and levels from a compressed file for simplycity and speed.
If you are interested in modding the game - I can compile a distribution which has separate folders for graphics, music, end level data.
I am not aware of any level editors though.. Check with the original author of the game - he might just have some tools...

kersplatty
May 19th, 2006, 18:22
bin lukin forward to this one, hmm cheats sounds interestin:p

kyle2194
May 20th, 2006, 04:58
Is there any definitive way to acess the cheats menu. It seams to appear at random. The computer game can have cheats by typing lockandload at the options menu, so mabye you coulds implement an onscreen keyboard.

deniska
May 20th, 2006, 06:14
Is there any definitive way to acess the cheats menu. It seams to appear at random. The computer game can have cheats by typing lockandload at the options menu, so mabye you coulds implement an onscreen keyboard.
Yes, there is. You just did not figure it out yet :)

Seriously, I don't want to spoil the fun for everyone else there.. I'll PM you the combination...

cmfCrazyEyes
May 20th, 2006, 08:09
Yes, there is. You just did not figure it out yet :)

Seriously, I don't want to spoil the fun for everyone else there.. I'll PM you the combination...

Would you PM the combination to me also?
I got it accidentally the first time I played and I cant figure out how!:(

troom
May 20th, 2006, 14:43
works greatttttttt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

sedonx
May 22nd, 2006, 21:35
great release, it works on my 2.6 pSP, (i used the 1.5 version)

IMReader
May 23rd, 2006, 19:26
Whenever I beat the Flooded Mine, it goes to a screen that says I'm missing a graphics file.

I'll give more info when I beat the level again.

Edit: Just beat it a third time and it works. Maybe a memory issue?

FatalError
May 28th, 2006, 00:46
First off, this is a great game. Glad you decided to port it over to the psp. Haven't had any problems with it, except sometimes it freezes up when looking at the map. I imagin its because im on 2.6 & there isn't as much memory available. No big deal, i've been making my own maps anyways, that way i don't have to chance it freezing and me starting over. Anyways..... on to my real question, how do you access the cheats menu? I've tried finding the jetpack & i haven't noticed it anywhere. So if someone doesn't mind letting me know the combination or telling me what level the pack is on, i would greatly appreciate it. (cause im stuck on the level that says you must have aqua lung to continue.) Thnx again in advance.

StealthCP
May 28th, 2006, 17:11
If anyone gets any error messages, about missing files, or a "PSP has just crashed" blue screen, did you have your PSP on standby/sleep mode at all? This is the sole cause of errors in this game and it should not be used. I learnt the hard way, spending an hour on one of the later levels and having to restart the whold thing again.

Evcellent port deniska, there are some areas of the game (namely the flooded tunnels) where performance just isn't top notch. Can this ever be resolved? It is still fast enough but the action is slightly slower than that of the PC. At times it can be quite bad and terribly slow. For the time being it is very playable though well done.

IMReader
May 31st, 2006, 01:42
I hope you don't mind - I put this on psp-homebrew.eu, Fanjita's new site

deniska
May 31st, 2006, 05:01
I hope you don't mind - I put this on psp-homebrew.eu, Fanjita's new site

Of course not, thanks!
Feel free to register my other stuff there..:p

FatalError
June 2nd, 2006, 01:50
So do you just look at the posts in the metal blob thread, and not answer anything for anyone? I find it quite odd, that you can reply to someone just stating that they put your game on the Noobz site, & yet you can't reply back to me, or anyone else that has said anything about the game. Good or bad. I mean how hard would it be? Obviously you were there.... 2 more seconds to answer some questions? They May be stupid ones but still are questions none the less.

deniska
June 2nd, 2006, 03:27
So do you just look at the posts in the metal blob thread, and not answer anything for anyone? I find it quite odd, that you can reply to someone just stating that they put your game on the Noobz site, & yet you can't reply back to me, or anyone else that has said anything about the game. Good or bad. I mean how hard would it be? Obviously you were there.... 2 more seconds to answer some questions? They May be stupid ones but still are questions none the less.

I check the posts ocasionally.. I did not realize I had more than one new reply.
So I clicked on the last page in the thread - the comment that I replied to was the first one on that page... So, again, please don't take it personally... ;-)

I'll PM you instructions on how to get to cheats menu -don't want to spoil it for other people...

As to locations of jetpack and stuff - I think you get in on one of the boss levels... The original author mentions it on his site.. I did not get that far in the game still....

deniska
June 2nd, 2006, 03:49
If anyone gets any error messages, about missing files, or a "PSP has just crashed" blue screen, did you have your PSP on standby/sleep mode at all? This is the sole cause of errors in this game and it should not be used. I learnt the hard way, spending an hour on one of the later levels and having to restart the whold thing again.

Evcellent port deniska, there are some areas of the game (namely the flooded tunnels) where performance just isn't top notch. Can this ever be resolved? It is still fast enough but the action is slightly slower than that of the PC. At times it can be quite bad and terribly slow. For the time being it is very playable though well done.

Good point about the power off. I forgot to mention it... so here is a couple of pointers to help avoid crashes:
1) Try to finish a level w/o powering PSP down.
2) The game has a small memory leak (SDL related)
so it is recomended that you restart it after you complete a level.

About performance, - those swinging things and fire fountains consume alot of resources...
One thing to patch it is to go to HW rendering - but from my experience SDL HW implementation is still buggy. So the game may crash more often..
Another thing that needs to be done is resizing all graphics for PSP resolution. Currently the game is resized from 640x480 to 480x272 by PSP on a fly, which takes it's toll...
Resizing all graphics manually and adjusting game's physics is quite a big project, that I don't have time for... :-(

TornadoApollo
October 18th, 2006, 04:11
hey could you pm me the cheat combo? :-D

deniska
October 18th, 2006, 19:33
hey could you pm me the cheat combo? :-D

It's not a secret anymore..
The [home] button toggles the hidden menu with all the cheat options...
So you'll need to press [home] and then select "cancel" to go back to the game...
I don't remember if this needs to be done during game session or while on main menu, so try both...